Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Log with DCS crash with official Meta update v63.

My friend recived Today the update. Of course he had no idea about anything, he called me and said that his DCS wasn't working, he had Quest 3. He already thought he had to install DCS, and the repair didn't help him. Fortunately, I knew what it was about. With his consent, I am giving his logo @Flappie @BIGNEWY , currently he cannot fly in DCS and Quest 3. Im still on v62.

dcs (7).log 13.28 kB · 0 downloads

He has a loading screen, then he sees a black image, then CTD.

the log shows the same issue as if v63 is installed, not reporting the gpu. 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Folks please stay on topic in the thread, as we have already mentioned the issue is v63 meta software creating the issue with DCS, we have a fix for the next patch but I can not say when that will be at this time. 

Current work arounds include using the native oculus in the first post, or using the steamVR work around posted by Jaghammer in this thread. 

thank you

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, silverdevil said:

have you performed the roll back to v62. this is the version that works. if you opt out of PTC you won't get an auto update.

Unless I'm misunderstanding (don't run VR so I don't have personal experience), but V63 is now rolling out as RELEASE version, so PTC has no impact on this anymore.  And it sounds like release version of V62 is now automatically updating to release version of V63.  I haven't seen any confirmed way to roll back mentioned (one person mentioned they has seen an unofficial version of V62 floating around, but that could be a risky download.

10 minutes ago, rob10 said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding (don't run VR so I don't have personal experience), but V63 is now rolling out as RELEASE version, so PTC has no impact on this anymore.  And it sounds like release version of V62 is now automatically updating to release version of V63.  I haven't seen any confirmed way to roll back mentioned (one person mentioned they has seen an unofficial version of V62 floating around, but that could be a risky download.

hi rob. what i meant was that roll back to the version that worked. and disable auto-updates which i guessed in a sense was PTC (forcing a test version on everyone). i do not have VR so i am only going by what i have read on the forums.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

8 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

hi rob. what i meant was that roll back to the version that worked. and disable auto-updates which i guessed in a sense was PTC (forcing a test version on everyone). i do not have VR so i am only going by what i have read on the forums.

We're both in the same boat of trying to help without having the actual issue 🙂.  But from what I see you CAN'T roll back anymore (you could when it was just preview version only being released to PTC) so if you've already been hit by the automatic update by the release (non PTC) version your options are limited.  That changed in the last couple of days.  Before that the problem version was only being pushed to PTC and if you unchecked that it would downgrade to V62 and solve the problem.

The workaround I described in my earlier post in this thread worked for me, or has up until this point. Flew several hours last night and just finished a multiplayer mission.  Of course the issues Windows System Restore causes might be a deal breaker for you. If you are a Chrome and Discord user( and Thunderbird in my case) it will not restore all their files for some reason. The "undo" does put them back however. But backing them up and reinstalling them back in the folders seems to be the trick.  In my case however I was able to correct them as I described in the post. All the rest of my programs work fine after the Restore. I have since applied the update blocking instructions also in this thread. So far so good.  Try it at your own risk should  you decide to. 🙂  And  you would think when Meta rolls out an update for the PC app they would at least address the " Your PC isn't Compatible" banner. 

Edited by 13sq*Axe

Rig Specs, i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 Plus MB, 64 GB Kingston Vengeance Beast ram, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1 TB NVme SSD Drive, EVGA 750 Watt PS. Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vizio 43 inch G-Sync Compatible TV, Oculus Quest 3, CH Hotas,( Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, All axis analog pots converted to sensors), MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, V3.

Right, so I have an actual Quest 3 headset and the thing auto-updated yesterday. Here are some other facts:

• I have never opted in to PTC, so cannot opt out of it 
  • Therefore I had no warning of issues with V63 until it broke (somebody writing about it somewhere in a forum does not constitute fair warning)
  • Rolling back to earlier versions, is currently unsupported, so disabling updates is irrelevant
  • this is the RELEASE condition of the Quest 3 now and DCS is broken.

The current corrective actions available are:

• Buy Virtual Desktop (only works over WiFi, sub-par visual experience)
  • Wait for ED to release a fix at the next patch point
  • Somthing else...?

I don't care who's fault it is: this is the current experience of many (every?) Quest 3 user who also uses DCS, and it sucks.

Edited by milo1973
language moderation

I was chasing Oculus PC v63 because supposedly it fixed some issues including the annoying "your computer..." but lucky I found this thread then disabled auto updates.

Thanks guys!  

1 hour ago, ssamayoa said:

I was chasing Oculus PC v63 because supposedly it fixed some issues including the annoying "your computer..." but lucky I found this thread then disabled auto updates.

Thanks guys!  

Lucky you.  No such luck for me, so I will be patient for DCS to fix.  The last time I started re-writing files and folders I screwed DCS so badly I needed to totally removed and re-install everything down to Windows.  Saved log book though!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 11:24 PM, mrprime said:

I'm using the exact command arguments to switch to Oculus native API but still getting the crash with v63, wish I'd seen this sooner - looks like it auto-updated yesterday 😞

I also have OpenXRToolkit and QuadViews .. I wouldn't expect those to work of course but I wonder if it's something in those which is still preventing the game launching. 

Anyone with OXRTK/QuadView had any success with this work around? 

I reported already that using Oculus VR with the v63 Oculus PC App was not working. Still, nothing has been said or modified about this post after warning BN about this issue.

Steam Link and Virtual Desktop are working as they have nothing to do with the Oculus PC app, I prefer Steam Link as the quality it can deliver on my Quest Pro is closer to  Oculus Link quality which is the best of all the options in my experience.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Folks please stay on topic in the thread, as we have already mentioned the issue is v63 meta software creating the issue with DCS, we have a fix for the next patch but I can not say when that will be at this time. 

Current work arounds include using the native oculus in the first post, or using the steamVR work around posted by Jaghammer in this thread. 

thank you

I suggest you guys release a post or update about this for the general fanbase

My DCS wasn't launching and I immedietly thought "Oh my DCS/drivers/OS/equipment is corrupt" and I spent like 3 hours trying to troubleshoot this issue doing various things from removing mods to repair to re-install drivers and oculus...

Only later I found this forum thread and realized there's nothing I can do on my part to keep the same setup running. 

• Thanks 1

Same here, the problem is PC Oculus software with the Meta Quest Link v63. This problem was reported during beta of v63 but was not fixed. The headset and android app can be updated to v63 with not problem, but when pc software updates, DCS crash using meta link with usb cable. Solution: uninstall oculus aplication on pc, reinstall v62 oculus software (i have the .exe already downloaded some weeks ago, i dont know if today the installer in the oculus web is already the v62 or the v63) and deactivate auto updates. If the meta quest link v62 updtes acidentally to v63, repeat the procedure.

So......I downloaded vd and ran it yesterday evening, works ok- much more clunky than oculus and lots of strange blurring and stuttering during the various loading segments but once in the game engine it seems quite good, it looks like it will mean changing a load of settings as I have old issues of disappearing aircraft at some distances and the sea going in the wrong direction with the ships at some aspects.

As discussed I did have to plug an ethernet cable into the router, and there is a lot running in the background, steam ve, vd itself.....I have 64gb ram and seems ok.

A similar interface that can use the wired connection would be preferable....

Les

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, les said:

As discussed I did have to plug an ethernet cable into the router, and there is a lot running in the background, steam ve, vd itself.....I have 64gb ram and seems ok.

Try running VDXR rather than steam VR. It's a lot better. 

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

22 hours ago, Bounti30 said:
I think ED is innocent in this case.

Not really. The case was reported on February 15, so we are almost a month after the fact, and beta 63 has been available for a long time. Meta also explained that it was a matter for the authors of the title, who had to adapt their software to the new standard. So the question should have been different, perhaps some warnings were ignored and the focus was on other priorities, I dont know. Of course, you never know whether the beta will be what we will get officially later, so only from last Wednesday it was possible to confirm 100% that DCS will do CTD with v63.

Certainly, what needs to happen now is a high priority in the form of a hot fix in the coming days, plus information for DCS users using Oculus in their channels and social media about the problem. Knowing life, people will seriously wonder what happened. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a solution for Oculus PCVR soon. Thx!

• Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

6 hours ago, mimamema said:

I reported already that using Oculus VR with the v63 Oculus PC App was not working. Still, nothing has been said or modified about this post after warning BN about this issue.

Steam Link and Virtual Desktop are working as they have nothing to do with the Oculus PC app, I prefer Steam Link as the quality it can deliver on my Quest Pro is closer to  Oculus Link quality which is the best of all the options in my experience.

Thanks, glad I'm not the only one.

Coincidentally, I also have the Quest Pro so I wonder if there's a further problem with the  "--force_oculus_VR" for Pro users? 

I suppose question would be; can any Quest Pro users confirm that " --force_oculus_VR" is working for them?

you can postpone the update every 4 hours

But when your pc is restarted the oculus app on pc is automaticaly updated

So yes there is no way to stop or to block that update. Its only possible when you install apps to manage your oculus quest

Btw. status was updated! See this: 🥰

image.png

Looks promissing, 👍 thank you!

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

38 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Not really. The case was reported on February 15, so we are almost a month after the fact, and beta 63 has been available for a long time. Meta also explained that it was a matter for the authors of the title, who had to adapt their software to the new standard. So the question should have been different, perhaps some warnings were ignored and the focus was on other priorities, I dont know. Of course, you never know whether the beta will be what we will get officially later, so only from last Wednesday it was possible to confirm 100% that DCS will do CTD with v63.

Certainly, what needs to happen now is a high priority in the form of a hot fix in the coming days, plus information for DCS users using Oculus in their channels and social media about the problem. Knowing life, people will seriously wonder what happened. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a solution for Oculus PCVR soon. Thx!

for the record Meta warned none of the content creators or developers for their platform, hence why when v63 went live, 75% of their own oculus library was broken, the other 25% are titles that are owned by Meta and were updated w/ v63.

It was a end of dev cycle change in the v63 development cycle, a change they introduced w/ no announcement, they expect everyone to develop and release patches within 3 weeks of their update going to preview.

That's the problem with Meta since Facebook officially took over operations from the old Oculus staff, they think they run the internet, they expected every content creator and developer for the platform to Update their software on their schedule.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I have version 63 of the oculus desktop software installed. I am using a Quest pro with a link cable through Quest link. Meta Quest link is set as the active OpenXR runtime according to my settings page. I start DCS using the following shortcut: 

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --affinity=F

DCS and quad views both run fine...........Is this to be expected? 

I just tried tried running DCS using   "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_oculus_VR

And it runs, but quad views is not running. 

So maybe this helps? 

Also, as I seem to have an open XR runtime being used according to my oculus software, why would I need to add the shortcut above? What does it add that my first shortcut that includes affibity F and allows me to use quad views, does not? 

• Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

7 hours ago, 7Mistral8 said:

Solution: uninstall oculus aplication on pc, reinstall v62 oculus software (i have the .exe already downloaded some weeks ago, i dont know if today the installer in the oculus web is already the v62 or the v63) and deactivate auto updates. If the meta quest link v62 updtes acidentally to v63, repeat the procedure.

This sometimes worked in the past as long as they didn't update their installer to the latest version.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I am running the latest version, so the answer is no

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I have an old wired oculus rift and it has stopped working with the v63 update ....

--force_enable_VR --force_oculus_VR in the MT shortcut target line does not work. crashes at the splash screen.

DCS Sunday night is a bust.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.