TGP not powering up after April 10th update

Go to solution Solved by TobiasA,

For whatever reason, the issue has solved itself.  The only thing I could come up with is the hardpoint switch needs to be turned on "after" the TGP is loaded on the jet, and not before.

Edited by Swamp Fox Loader
Problem solved for now.
  • Like 1

i7 12700K,   RTX 4090,  MSI Z690 Carbon WiFi,  32GB x 2  DDR5 5200Mhz Ram,   Windows 11,    DCS Stand alone,   OpenXR Toolkit,   Pimax Crystal,   Thrustmaster Viper Stick with RealSimulator  FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra Base,    Winwing Orion 2 10th Anniversary with F-16EX Throttle Grip,    Virpil ACE Interceptor Pedals

7 hours ago, TobiasA said:

If you rearm with the hardpoint still powered on, the same seems to happen.

I don't recall this happening in the past, but it now seems to be the norm.  I'm getting old and don't recall much anyways!

i7 12700K,   RTX 4090,  MSI Z690 Carbon WiFi,  32GB x 2  DDR5 5200Mhz Ram,   Windows 11,    DCS Stand alone,   OpenXR Toolkit,   Pimax Crystal,   Thrustmaster Viper Stick with RealSimulator  FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra Base,    Winwing Orion 2 10th Anniversary with F-16EX Throttle Grip,    Virpil ACE Interceptor Pedals

I don't know why this is set to "not a bug"? If the hardpoint is powered, there should be power to whatever is connected to the hardpoint, right?

• Like 2

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

yeah looks like since the latest patch you need to keep the hardpoint power off until the store is loaded and the jet has power before flipping it to on, else the TGP never powers up.
Haven't tried with rearming a running jet yet, maybe you'll need to flip it to off prior and then back to on after rearm is complete?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, _SteelFalcon_ said:

Haven't tried with rearming a running jet yet, maybe you'll need to flip it to off prior and then back to on after rearm is complete?

I just rearmed a running jet, you need to flip the switch OFF then ON again and it will start up. But HTSworks like nothing happened.

Edited by Furiz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Vader said:

I'll be looking into this, just for the sake of consistence.

But, in terms of common sense, it would be a logical procedure to turn off the station if the power plugs will be handled. 

I agree that it is logical procedure in real life to turn off the station before mounting/dismounting the TGP, but that does not mean the TGP will not turn on when the hardpoint is powered. Obviously you would keep things turned off IRL to minimize the risk of power surges and stuff like that during power cycles, but that kinds of wear-and-tear and failure simulation is a level of detail which is not simulated in the DCS F-16C (but I would warmly welcome that level of failure simulation in the DCS F-16C). Also, another issue in DCS (last I checked) is also that we cannot re-arm individual stations, so any time you hang some new bombs off of your wing, it will remove and replace your TGP whether you want to or not.

Most of all, it's worth pointing out that this issue applies at cold starts as well. I've only done one flight since the last patch, and I did my normal startup procedure according to checklists, where I powered up the hardpoint well after the TGP had been mounted and the engine had began supplying power to the aircraft, but when I brought up my TGP once I was airborne, it was still turned off. This also happened to my flight members who flew with me last night.

Edited by WHOGX5
  • Like 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

• ED Team

Like I said, I'll look into it for consistence sake in regards to station power cycling, especially if the HTS pod doesn't suffer from the same issue.

But I would always recommend to shut the power off to the stations prior to rearming.

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

1 hour ago, WHOGX5 said:

I powered up the hardpoint well after the TGP had been mounted and the engine had began supplying power to the aircraft, but when I brought up my TGP once I was airborne, it was still turned off.

I was doing some practice missions last night and thought I was going crazy, forgetting something per the TGP. What did you do to get it back online again? Just turn hardpoint power off then on again?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

1 hour ago, Lord Vader said:

Like I said, I'll look into it for consistence sake in regards to station power cycling, especially if the HTS pod doesn't suffer from the same issue.

But I would always recommend to shut the power off to the stations prior to rearming.

The problem is, as I see it, when reaming DCS rearms the stations that are not updated in the rearm window so TGP gets rearmed even tho it is not selected for rearm. While HTS stays powered on.

It is off course logical to turn off the station prior to rearming, but then that would mean, when weapons are rearmed, that STORE STA switch need to be set to OFF as well, along with RIGHT and LEFT HDPT.

In real life they probably have some procedure for this, would be really great if it was simulated in DCS as well.

• Like 3

Thanks Lord Vader. I assume and expect you'll come into a good solution.

Even though there's some discussion here, I don't think this is a very complex question. My two cents, also replying to some of the posters above: The loadout selection is simply a game mechanic, and far removed from any "realistic" way jets are loaded. This is just a fact and not a criticism of any kind, this is a game and some things cannot be "realistic". As such, in my opinion it's best to simply follow good principles of system/interface design, mainly the principle of least surprise, which in this context means this:

1. You have a jet with all the pod power switches (station power + L/R HDPT) on.
  2. You add a pod.
  3. You expect to have all the power switches on, pod added, pod has power.

Instead of, the unexpected:

1. You have a jet with all the pod power switches on.
  2. You add a pod.
  3. One or more of the power switches are now switched off.
  4. You now have a pod with no power on; even though you started from a situation with the power switch on, and simply tried to add the pod.

Or, the objectively outright wrong:

1. You have a jet with all the pod power switches on.
  2. You add a pod.
  3. You have a pod, and all the power switches on, but the pod has no power. This would be a bug.

Br,
itn

Hi,

I know this is an investigating issue.

just a heads up, The same situation for TGP is happennig to A10CII as well. If TGP power is set to on before equiping the TGP, It will not turn on. I assume this will happens when another rearming is done, although there is already an aligned TGP equiped in previous sorties like F16 does.

Thank you!

TGP A10CII.trk

Can confirm. With TGP already loaded, conducting a refuel/rearm will turn the TGP OFF until you cycle the power switch.

If the TGP is NOT loaded at time of rearm, this makes sense. However if the TGP is already loaded, then the rearming should not affect it.

Another interesting note: Powering on TGP after cold start, the TGP will default to on (either A-A or A-G depending). However, after rearming, TGP defaults to STBY. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Furiz:

I just tested, Master Arm is not necessary.

Strange, I flew several minutes and it remained dark until I enabled master arm., two times.

It happened after rearming with the TGP already present and powered. 

I will try to recreate it.

• Like 1

Hi,

The issue is: if we switch the POWER for TGP on before equiping the TGP, TGP will never turn on after the equip is done.

If you rearm which refresh the loadout (including the TGP), TGP will turn off and never be on again unless you toggle the power switch on and off. in other words, TGP now need to restart and re-align after every rearm. Same situation happens to TGP on A10CII.

Please have a look into this,

Attached trk file is an cold F16 originally equiped with tgp before start up and how it beheaves after rearming.

Thanks!

TGP Power F16.trk

Edited by JarrodR5
  • Like 1

• ED Team

We have reported this internally for further improvement.

We believe that a power cycle is indeed required to all pods, including TPOD, Jamming Pod and HTS pod. This will occur for all stations since our rearming logic involves all stations. 

And if a power cycle is performed, it seems logical that the power up self tests (BIT) and associated alignment procedures need to be performed again.

Stay tuned for future updates. 

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord