DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Right engine fire after touch-down three times now, why? While wheel/speed braking.

Quite bumpy, very bumpy (left landing gear broke) and can't remember touch-downs... can the engines be damaged by bumpy touch-downs?

Post a track on your landings, so we can look into it properly and not only guess what the cause is.

[sIGPIC]sigpic70266_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

Snooze-81st-vFS

I haven't saved any tracks and supposed it was an identifiable issue.

I usually come too level and have to dive to hit the section of the runway I'm aiming for (first 1000 ft-ish)... occasionally I bump up in the air again.

I never follow the glide path or AOA thing either. Always seems to tell me to go in too steep and slow.

I usually come too level and have to dive to hit the section of the runway I'm aiming for (first 1000 ft-ish)... occasionally I bump up in the air again.

I never follow the glide path or AOA thing either. Always seems to tell me to go in too steep and slow.

This sounds like part of the problem. Save a track and post it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Assuming your more or less know how to land in general, it seems you are too fast when approaching so when keeping correct AoA (green donut) you ascend or at least don't descend.

Check that you employed full flaps, keep your speed at 135-140 kts and prefer a shallow, low approach. Use a little airbrake to keep at 140 kts.

It is easier to speed up than to brake midair without falling onto the runway.

When you near the approach/runway threshold while on the green donut (correct AoA) at about 10-15 feet just cut the throttle, full airbrakes and keep the AoA. Do not flare! Just let the plane settle to the runway at 125-130 kts.

Immediately after nosewheel touchdown hit airbrakes again to fully deploy airbrakes (they open a little more after nosewheel down) . Use wheelbrakes below 90 kts if necessary...

Unlike a fighter jet you won't keep your nose up to brake after touchdown! Settle the nosewheel and don't forget the airbrakes!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Sim pilots extraordinarily underestimate how important Angle of Attack is.

http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/aoa.html

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.ca/2010/10/dcs-10c-warthog-angle-of-attack-watch_24.html

Here's a secret. Its more important than any other variable. Humans might talk about stall speeds, and pitch angles and thrust to weight and so on, but computers that manage the flight envelope of modern fighters and autopilots that manage tubeliners all over the world can't do their job without knowing AOA.

I know that some airforces actually teach their pilots to land by locking into a fixed Angle of Attack on approach rather than focusing on speed. This is because approach speeds are variable based on weight while correct approach angle of attack is constant.

The Angle of Attack indexer is incapable of telling you to go too slow, provided its not broken (which I've never seen myself). The laws of physics and fluid dynamics say so.

Intercept the glideslope from below. Drop gear and flaps and follow it down. Establish correct approach speed by getting the Donut to tell you you're at the right AOA (this is never wrong unless I think you're in a severe sideslip or something). Its now mantra time:

Pitch for Speed, Power for Sink Rate. Pitch for speed means establishing and maintaining correct Angle of Attack. You can trim to this angle and it will not change, even if you release the stick. Aircraft are designed to want to remain at their pitched trim. Power for Sink rate means with your Angle of Attack locked in you will change your rate of descent by changing your thrust. You can watch this by seeing your TVV move up and down in the HUD while your speed will remain generally constant.*

This is tried and true, and also counterintuitive. It takes practice but its part of learning the right way to fly. Its enormously beneficial to understand Angle of Attack and how it should be used in the approach. There's a reason the A-10 has 2 separate readable Angle of Attack instruments and a third that savages your ears with chop and steady tones.

*In a stabilized approach your trimmed pitch angle will remain constant. When changing power it will move up or down, or both as the power state of the aircraft changes, however this fluctuation is temporary and eventually the aircraft will want to return to its trimmed pitch, meaning the same angle of attack which leads to the same speed, provided you don't alter the wing shape ie. by dropping or raising flaps. The fluctuation can be almost nonexistent if you make gentle power adjustments. At that point being and staying on the glideslope becomes a matter of gently adding or reducing power while your speed remains constant. Experience can allow you to also intervene during these fluctuations to basically dampen the natural pitch oscillations during more aggressive power adjustments until the aircraft is back at its natural trimmed equilibrium.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Hey, just starting to get into the A-10C properly and am having a bit of an issue in one of the missions (Defend Yankee).

I can contact JTAC, have him give me a 9 line, etc. This 9 line is sent to me and appears under Messages. He also transmits the location of the target and it appears on my TAD, which you can hook onto, set as SPI, and engage pretty quickly, which is all fine and dandy.

However, when contacting the JTAC again, he gives me my 9line, asks for a readback, all the same as the first time, but he doesn't send me a second message, nor does he send me the location on my TAD of the second target.

Am I missing something obvious? Why am I not receiving the second message and TAD data like in the initial encounter?

Hey, just starting to get into the A-10C properly and am having a bit of an issue in one of the missions (Defend Yankee).

I can contact JTAC, have him give me a 9 line, etc. This 9 line is sent to me and appears under Messages. He also transmits the location of the target and it appears on my TAD, which you can hook onto, set as SPI, and engage pretty quickly, which is all fine and dandy.

However, when contacting the JTAC again, he gives me my 9line, asks for a readback, all the same as the first time, but he doesn't send me a second message, nor does he send me the location on my TAD of the second target.

Am I missing something obvious? Why am I not receiving the second message and TAD data like in the initial encounter?

You will find the mission is broken, as are all mission with jtac, 1.2.10 broke most jtac target commands in the missions, it has reset all the callsigns and Frequencies = "Axeman on 133 am" assigned to targets, They should be renamed to there assigned callsigns and usual 30+ FM frequencies, so you could go in with ME and fix them as I have done.

cheers, Ian

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Hello! I'm only familiar with the Su-25T and UH-1H at the moment, and both are much simpler than the A-10C. I bought the A-10C and FC3 modules on sale and I want to become familiar with some NATO aircraft like the A-10. I'm not sure where to begin though since I hear the A-10C is insanely complicated and I wouldn't even know where to begin with mapping controls for my X-52 Pro.

So my question is this. Going from the Su-25T to the A-10, should I start with the A-10A or just try to dive into the A-10C? Thanks.

Go a10c all the way. Go sraight to sim mode. You can find downloadable profiles for th x52 if you cant just ask, someone will share one with you. Just learn things one step at a time and dont expect to much to begin with. The a10c is the best sim you can buy

A10C. But "Not" Sim. Mode as it isn't for learning it is for experienced pilots. Game mode allows for mistakes and decreases the amount of time u will spend reloading the sim. after Being shot down, or crashing due to lack of knowledge. Game Mode setting with unlimited fuel and lives so u can learn how to dodge the Sam and IR Missiles. Watching the track files after ur flight. Is how U learn. not Sim. Mode loading and reloading because u keep being shot down before u learn to jink properly.

People who say "I only use Sim Mode" as if it is some badge of honor, are absolutely ridiculous. Like some high school kid who claims to ride broncos in his spare time with out safety gear. U learn nothing being stupid.

If U didn't say Sim mode is the only mode I use. Then there is no need to get upset.

Edited by AtaliaA1
Before anyone goes off on me.
  • Like 2

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

A10C. But "Not" Sim. Mode as it isn't for learning it is for experienced pilots. Game mode allows for mistakes and decreases the amount of time u will spend reloading the sim. after Being shot down, or crashing due to lack of knowledge. Game Mode setting with unlimited fuel and lives so u can learn how to dodge the Sam and IR Missiles. Watching the track files after ur flight. Is how U learn. not Sim. Mode loading and reloading because u keep being shot down before u learn to jink properly.

People who say "I only use Sim Mode" as if it is some badge of honor, are absolutely ridiculous. Like some high school kid who claims to ride broncos in his spare time with out safety gear. U learn nothing being stupid.

I can confirm that... My mistake starting with sim mode, I thought I knew everything coming from flaming cliffs I was that "high school kid" for a while still am actually, but less cocky ;)

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Sim mode is the only mode I use. I have never booted up the A-10C in game mode. Could be my real world experience with the aircraft but to be honest I wouldn't on any DCS level (aka PFM and ASM) because I enjoy the challenge. Even crashing or getting shot down is a learning experience.

If U didn't say Sim mode is the only mode I use. Then there is no need to get upset.

The problem with that is now you learn first to fly the game mode SFM and train your muscle memory to it.

Then you switch to Sim mode and now have to learn flying all over again... some maneuvering now gets you crazy turns and rolled etc.

Good luck!

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I think the forum ate a previous post of mine (or I posted it in another thread and am too stupid to find it). Either way, here we go.

Sim pilots extraordinarily underestimate how important Angle of Attack is.

I agree! I think one of the best books on understanding how airplanes fly is Stick and Rudder, first published in 1944.

It helped me get a much better understanding of the aerodynamic effects on the aircraft and its control surfaces. The author also makes the point that AoA is incredibly important. Personally, I think this book should be mandatory reading for any pilot in training and I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in aviation. :thumbup:

A10C. But "Not" Sim. Mode as it isn't for learning it is for experienced pilots. Game mode allows for mistakes and decreases the amount of time u will spend reloading the sim. [...]

While I do consider myself an experienced sim pilot, I disagree that sim mode is only for the experienced pilots. Whether we call it "sim" mode or "real" mode, it's simply the one mode that mimics the real aircraft as close as possible.

I would branch the answer into two views.

For someone interested in a more arcade-like approach looking for some quick kills, game-mode is probably the way to go, and if a player has fun flying in game-mode, I'm all for it.

But I think that sim mode is where the sim really shines. When I learn a new aircraft like Ka-50, A-10C and so on, I don't expect to fire a weapon in weeks. I want to get to know the aircraft, I want to get a solid understanding of its cockpit, controls, ground handling and basic flight, then advance to emergency procedures and flying more aggressively. Only then I feel ready for the weapons training.

In a way, I try to mimic the phases that real world pilots would go through when learning the aircraft, only at a massively accelerated rate and omitting lots of stuff that would be mandatory knowledge in RL.

For me, this is the fun in a simulation and therefore the way that, based on personal preference, I would recommend to newcomers (regardless of any previous flight sim experience). :thumbup:

Anybody here know how to display your location from bullseye in the HUD? Thanks

Set the HUD to TEST and browse to the DISPLAY submenu if I'm not mistaken. I can't check right now but somebody else will I'm sure.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

Alternatively, use TAD - OSB 17 or 18 where it says Hook-Own something... until it says bull-own. It now shows BRA from bullseye on TAD low right. If you don't want to clutter your HUD...

Shagrat

I can see why you are saying not to use sim mode but I still disagree. If you go with game mode you have to relearn everything the second time round. The key is to lower your expectations and be patient. You can also still set unlimited ammo and invincibility in sim mode.

I can see why you are saying not to use sim mode but I still disagree. If you go with game mode you have to relearn everything the second time round. The key is to lower your expectations and be patient. You can also still set unlimited ammo and invincibility in sim mode.

This. You won't learn much that is useful as long as you are in game mode. There is nothing wrong with using it if that is what you want but don't expect sim mode to be any easier after becoming 'good' at game mode.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Forgot to say.. its nothing to do with badge of honor -your assumption was incorrect. For me its about learning the right way of doung things and learning from your mistakes.

I'm sure that the landing gear warning horn hasn't sounded on several of my raising/lowering operations lately. I thought it was always supposed to sound. Ideas?

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

I'm sure that the landing gear warning horn hasn't sounded on several of my raising/lowering operations lately. I thought it was always supposed to sound. Ideas?

Just did a quick test in 1.2.10 and the horn sounds when it should for me.

Edited by Snoopy