DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

I am positive that the T-rudder is the only controller attached to rudders.As for other modules,F15 it never happens while in the P51 it does happen.I think it might just be a bug and tied to my other bug of the PAC sometimes not working.Gonna wait out a few updates for 1.5 and if not cured then I will reinstall.And on that note I am gonna verify cache in steam right now just in case.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone take a look at this track and tell me where I'm failing?

I'm trying to deliver a pair of illumination flares on a target area. I make a markpoint near the target WP, then set that markpoint as SPI, slave all to SPI, switch to the TGP, aim at the center of the column of vehicles, set it as the new SPI.

When I align for my CCRP drop though, my PBRL is completely off to the side for some reason, and it only aligns in the last two seconds, making it near impossible to land a decent shot. Shouldn't I be able to do my attack run from any direction? I'm clearly missing something here.

Disregard the shitty flying, I just wanted to showcase the problem.

Thanks.

track.zip

• 3 weeks later...
Why is the TGP in black and white video? Wouldn't it be easier to identify targets in full color? Is it a cost thing, or do you actually get better resolution or something in B&W?
I suppose algorithms to detect and track targets are more robust, reliable, and dependable if color isn't involved.

And you do actually get better resolution and no aliasing unlike with color sensors, where multiple pixels have to be combined to create a color pixel (see Bayer pattern).

Just like the space probes that have cameras in the visual spectrum, they are only grayscale. Color images are produced by taking pictures through different color filters in sequence and combining them afterwards.

I'm trying to deliver a pair of illumination flares on a target area. I make a markpoint near the target WP, then set that markpoint as SPI, slave all to SPI, switch to the TGP, aim at the center of the column of vehicles, set it as the new SPI.

When I align for my CCRP drop though, my PBRL is completely off to the side for some reason, and it only aligns in the last two seconds, making it near impossible to land a decent shot. Shouldn't I be able to do my attack run from any direction? I'm clearly missing something here.

Disregard the shitty flying, I just wanted to showcase the problem.

Thanks.

I didn't watch the track, yet, but if the column is moving, your SPI may move with it. So the CCRP is continuously trying to update the PBRL?

If you turn to your target take care you have enough distance left, the higher you are the more distance.

Also wind drift can have an impact. Avoid crosswind drops, if possible prefer a drop against the wind, or second best with the wind (check for safe escape maneuver).

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Thanks for your answers about the TGP. I got one more:

Does LSS mode search all around your plane or just in and around the last place the TGP was pointing? I don't see the TGP Situational Awareness Cue slewing 360 degrees around the aircraft, so I take that to mean the latter. If so, how wide of an area does it search?

Huh, good question. I did watch the track and don't know why the ASL (not the PBRL) is off.

However, it probably has to do with wind. The mission has a wind of 3 m/s at all altitudes, and since the flares will be affected by wind much more than most other weapon types, I guess the ASL accounts for wind drift.

I edited the mission and added some GBU12, set them to CCRP and the ASL stayed on target rock solid, whereas the ASL for flares moved.

I also edited the wind to come from another direction, and then the ASL moved from right to left instead of left to right in the unedited mission.

So, the best I can come up with is that the ASL for illumination flares probably accounts for the chutes' wind drift. But it would be great if someone could confirm that this is indeed intended behavior. :thumbup:

Does LSS mode search all around your plane or just in and around the last place the TGP was pointing? I don't see the TGP Situational Awareness Cue slewing 360 degrees around the aircraft, so I take that to mean the latter. If so, how wide of an area does it search?

The manual isn't too specific on the subject, at least not when searching it for "LSS".

I think I found a passage that partly explains it, though. It's in the chapter on JTAC Engagement Flow with Laser Designation:

After receiving the point data, the JTAC will ask you to report when you are IP inbound. When you are ready to proceed from the IP to the target, press \ and F1 "IP Inbound" to start your attack. If you are inbound from the IP, the JTAC will then tell you to continue.

At this point, you'll tell the JTAC to lase the target by pressing \ and then F1 "Laser On".

To locate the designation, slew the TGP to the target point and perform an LSS/LST search. When you have detected the designation, press \ and F1 "Spot".

Huh, good question. I did watch the track and don't know why the ASL (not the PBRL) is off.

However, it probably has to do with wind. The mission has a wind of 3 m/s at all altitudes, and since the flares will be affected by wind much more than most other weapon types, I guess the ASL accounts for wind drift.

I edited the mission and added some GBU12, set them to CCRP and the ASL stayed on target rock solid, whereas the ASL for flares moved.

I also edited the wind to come from another direction, and then the ASL moved from right to left instead of left to right in the unedited mission.

So, the best I can come up with is that the ASL for illumination flares probably accounts for the chutes' wind drift. But it would be great if someone could confirm that this is indeed intended behavior. :thumbup:

I came to the same conclusions, even though I didn't take the time to test other configuration like you did. Thanks for the input! :thumbup:
  • Like 1

I came to the same conclusions, even though I didn't take the time to test other configuration like you did. Thanks for the input! :thumbup:

Thanks for the question. It never seizes to amaze me how deep this simulation is, and how much there is still to learn for me. :)

So, the best I can come up with is that the ASL for illumination flares probably accounts for the chutes' wind drift. But it would be great if someone could confirm that this is indeed intended behavior.

ASL off is typically the IFFCC trying to correct for wind or sideslip. Unlike the CBU-97 the LUU-2 illumination chute opens at high altitude so drift is heavily affecting it.

Whatever you drop omit crosswind drops.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

A question for all the guys that worked on the real thing (or not):

I've never seen an A-10C cockpit in person (last Le Bourget the line was just too long), but from all the pics and videos I've seen (and the simulation itself) the stick always seems slightly twisted counterclockwise. The Thrustmaster Warthog (supposed to be a more or less 1:1 replica) though has no such twist, and is perfectly centered on the axis.

Is it just an optical effect or is there some reason it's one way in the real cockpit and another in the TM Warthog?

I've never seen an A-10C cockpit in person (last Le Bourget the line was just too long), but from all the pics and videos I've seen (and the simulation itself) the stick always seems slightly twisted counterclockwise. The Thrustmaster Warthog (supposed to be a more or less 1:1 replica) though has no such twist, and is perfectly centered on the axis.

Is it just an optical effect or is there some reason it's one way in the real cockpit and another in the TM Warthog?

Maybe someone who actually knows will chime in, but AFAIK you are correct.

If you hold your right hand in front of you, where the center-mounted stick would be located, you'd have to twist your hand quite a bit in order to fit a stick that points exactly ahead. So as far as I know, the stick itself is offset, or rotated, a bit to offer better ergonomics.

I had to search a bit, but Thrustmaster's TARGET software for the TM Warthog (and a few other sticks) even allows to virtually rotate the axes for people who set their Warthog up rotated (anyone interested, check the TARGET_SCRIPT_EDITOR_basics.pdf documentation, chapter "Virtual Axis Rotation with RotateDXAxis").

Edit: Sorry, forgot about the question about why the TM Warthog is not rotated.

People can set it up as a side-stick or a center stick, so I guess TM decided not to rotate the stick in order to offer the most general setup. As I said, it's possible to rotate it in a center-stick setup and then virtually un-rotate the axes in order to account for the rotation, so it's is actually quite flexible (but then requires TARGET).

Edited by Yurgon

IIRC, center mounted sticks are rotated about 15 degrees CCW, while a side mounted stick is about 10 degrees CW, using the trigger centerline as a reference. The warthog, like all game sticks that I have seen has the grip designed/positioned with the trigger at the 12 o'clock position with respect to the base.

EDIT: My personal setup has the Warthog mounted with an 18 degree CCW rotation which is accounted for in my Target code.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Either way will work, though if you do it with an extension then you don't have to put the offset in your Target code.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Either way will work, though if you do it with an extension then you don't have to put the offset in your Target code.
Thanks! Is there a guide somewhere for the hardware portion of the modification? I'm fine with software, but very wary of touching the actual thing. Too much many involved for blind tests.
  • Like 1

Just buy any of the extensions available from threads in the Hardware section. With the two that are just threaded pipes you just sit down and hold the stick in the most comfortable position before tightening the collar. For the simpit extension you will specify the rotation you wish, when you order, and it just fits correctly.

EDIT: The extension just fits in between the stick and base using existing threads and a short extension cable. Aside from plugging the cable in wrong, there isn't much to screw up.

Hi guys, I just decided to get A-10C yesterday because it was on say, so I'm a huge noob but slowly improving. I just wanted to know how to program the trigger to also enable PACS even if my trigger is a single stage trigger? (I have Logitech Extreme 3D Pro)

Thanks! :D

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

Hi guys, I just decided to get A-10C yesterday because it was on say, so I'm a huge noob but slowly improving. I just wanted to know how to program the trigger to also enable PACS even if my trigger is a single stage trigger? (I have Logitech Extreme 3D Pro)

Thanks! :D

PAC gets enabled when you hold the trigger down, even if you don't have a 2-stage trigger, so long as you have your GUN/PAC switch set to ARM (the "up" position) and not GUNARM (the "down" position).

Look at page 106 of the manual for a screenshot, and page 107 has the explanation you want:

GUN/PAC. The GUN/PAC switch enables the gun with or without Precision Attitude Control (PAC) assist. PAC automatically adjusts aircraft pitch and yaw control inputs such that gun rounds fall in a tighter grouping around the aim point, rather than being impacted lengthwise along the aircraft’s line of travel when firing. This switch has three positions:

• ARM position (Up). The gun is enabled. PAC will be active when the gun is fired.
  • SAFE position (Middle). Disables the gun from being fired.
  • GUNARM position (Down). The gun may be fired, but PAC assist will be disabled

• Like 1

Here's another one:

I've been training quite a bit with CCIP and gun runs, and can't wrap my head around the GCAS "Pullup Pullup" warning. The manual states this is triggered when a maximum performance pullup would just clear the terrain, but I found this to be largely untrue. I often can mantain my attitude and speed for at least a couple of seconds more, and still clear the terrain with less than a maximum g pullup. This is especially noticeable at low angle, e.g. gun strafes on soft targets.

Edited by Gliptal