DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

You're thinking too complicated. ;)

Basically, you can omit step 2 of what you wrote above.

With TGP as SPI generator, when you Slave All to SPI, that includes Mavericks.

(To be more precise, whatever the SPI generator is, Slave All to SPI will always slave all available sensors to that SPI)

So if you set up the TGP on the left MFCD and Mav on the right MFCD, make sure the TGP is both SOI and SPI generator (check lower left corner of HUD, it should read "TGP"), Slave All to SPI, and then the Mav seeker will follow the TGP without ever having been SOI. And that's how you can use Force Correlate (in-game) to fire at targets way beyond the Mav's locking range.

There's one really important point here which I only learned after flying the A-10C for 2 years or so: The Sensor Point of Interest (SPI) is not whatever the TGP has locked. The SPI is generated continually. So if the TGP is SPI generator, the SPI will be whatever the TGP is looking at, whether it's a target or a dry piece of desert or Saturn.

Therefore, Slave All to SPI will follow the SPI where ever it is currently pointed.

The SPI generator is always given in the lower left corner of the HUD. By default, it's STPT (Steerpoint), and whatever is your SOI, you can make it SPI generator with TMS Up Long (meaning that TMS Up Long is not "lock target", it's really "Set SPI generator" aka "Make SPI").

I hope this makes things a bit more clear, but maybe someone else can chime in and explain things in a different way because this really is a difficult topic and I think it helps to get another look at the same thing in order to understand it. :)

Brilliant explanation! Would rep, but "Can't rep blabla..."

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

You're thinking too complicated. ;)

Basically, you can omit step 2 of what you wrote above.

With TGP as SPI generator, when you Slave All to SPI, that includes Mavericks.

(To be more precise, whatever the SPI generator is, Slave All to SPI will always slave all available sensors to that SPI)

So if you set up the TGP on the left MFCD and Mav on the right MFCD, make sure the TGP is both SOI and SPI generator (check lower left corner of HUD, it should read "TGP"), Slave All to SPI, and then the Mav seeker will follow the TGP without ever having been SOI. And that's how you can use Force Correlate (in-game) to fire at targets way beyond the Mav's locking range. :thumbup:

There's one really important point here which I only learned after flying the A-10C for 2 years or so: The Sensor Point of Interest (SPI) is not whatever the TGP has locked. The SPI is generated continually. So if the TGP is SPI generator, the SPI will be whatever the TGP is looking at, whether it's a target or a dry piece of desert or Saturn.

Therefore, Slave All to SPI will follow the SPI where ever it is currently pointed.

The SPI generator is always given in the lower left corner of the HUD. By default, it's STPT (Steerpoint), and whatever is your SOI, you can make it SPI generator with TMS Up Long (meaning that TMS Up Long is not "lock target", it's really "Set SPI generator" aka "Make SPI").

I hope this makes things a bit more clear, but maybe someone else can chime in and explain things in a different way because this really is a difficult topic and I think it helps to get another look at the same thing in order to understand it. :)

I think it's really clear :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Damn, really well explained. I know that the SPI is just basically whatever the SOI is looking at, not an actual target, but the rest of the information is ultra helpful. Thanks a lot!

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Problem creating mission

I have created a mission, and in the process, I went to the Payload screen to select/adjust the payload. I then save the mission. When I then click the Fly option, it shows the payload I selected in the Mission Data section on the Briefing screen. However, when I then choose the Fly option from the Briefing screen and actually start the mission, I only have the default payload used in the Instant Action missions. The default payload appears in the DSMS and visually on the wing pods. What am I doing wrong?

=====================================

Intel I7-6700 32GB RAM, Krait Z170A, NVIDIA RTX 2080ti 11GB, TrackIR5, TM HOTAS Warthog, MFG pedals, Samsung CRG9 49" monitor, HP Reverb VR, 500GB SSD.

Hard to tell.

Did you create the mission from scratch or did you edit an existing mission?

Which version of DCS are you running?

Can you upload the mission so we can take a look? I have a theory, and looking at the mission file would be a lot faster than explaining it. ;)

I hate to ask but is there a keystroke that will take the jet from cold and dark to up and running?

i9-9900K 3.6(Running at 5.0 GHZ) 32GB Memory

2x M.2 drives

Win 10 64bit

RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCULUS RIFT CV1

VKB Gunfighter 2 extended/TM Pedals/TM Warthog throttles.

My keyboard only has a LWin.

Should I just remap it?

Sure. I think LWin + Home/End is not mapped by default, so I'd probably just use these as combinations instead of the RWin ones. :thumbup:

But TBH, the only compelling justification I ever heard for using these is having the time to roll a cigarette while the aircraft does the startup. So unless you're a heavy smoker, I'd much rather go through the in-game trainings, watch tutorials on Youtube and learn to start the aircraft right away. It's not as difficult as it might seem in the beginning. :thumbup:

Besides, if you want to practice take-offs, landings, and basic handling, you could always pick or create a mission with hot-start from runway or air-start. When you start cold, where's the fun in not doing it yourself? :music_whistling:

I agree and I am so impressed with the fidelity of this rig!

I just don't have the energy to go through all of the stuff every time.

:)

i9-9900K 3.6(Running at 5.0 GHZ) 32GB Memory

2x M.2 drives

Win 10 64bit

RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCULUS RIFT CV1

VKB Gunfighter 2 extended/TM Pedals/TM Warthog throttles.

Once you're accostumed to it you can start the aircraft in about 9 minutes, and that's assuming you start the INS alignment only after both engines are spooled.

Is that technically the correct procedure? I'm assuming it is. I'm just usually anxious to get in the air so I start aligning once I'm on APU power. Then I light the fires, shut down the APU and usually only have 90 seconds to 2 minutes remaining on the alignment.

Is there anything wrong with doing it that way? I fly with sim avionics/etc and never noticed any adverse effects.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 :: Intel i5-2500 3.0 GHz :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 :: 16 GB DDR3 RAM :: Crucial 240 GB SSD :: WD Black 2TB HD :: 50" Magnavox TV as monitor :: TrackIR 5 :: Saitek X52 :: Saitek Rudder Pedals

Is that technically the correct procedure? I'm assuming it is. I'm just usually anxious to get in the air so I start aligning once I'm on APU power. Then I light the fires, shut down the APU and usually only have 90 seconds to 2 minutes remaining on the alignment.

Is there anything wrong with doing it that way? I fly with sim avionics/etc and never noticed any adverse effects.

There are a few very nice posts about startup here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=146716

Due to the automatic lockout from the engines themselves, you want to have your L/R AC Generators flipped into rock and roll ahead of time. The way the electrical bus works, whichever engine kicks up first and takes over supplying the power (don't ask why, just always start with your left due to the design of the craft internally), you want to have the generators kicked up for reasons of habit. You will end up shorting or tripping a breaker if you get into the practice of flipping on your generators late in the show.

Also you should consider counting 15 mississippi or so before moving on to the other engine, you want to have time for certain internal components to close and open which are necessary.

Last piece of advice, it won't hurt to keep the outstanding generator and original going while you let the EGI/CDU get going. You don't want to have any accidental power dips during the CDU startup, as it will (slightly) prolong the procedure due to it needing to regroup (but you won't lose any data, just a time-sink, especially if you were in scramble.)

Hope this helps, I'll flip through the rest of it and see what ya got goin on! Looks great and it's really nice to see people taking the time to figure out the systems and put in the work.

You can flip the L/R AC GEN switches to rock and roll before you even turn on your 24v battery and get the DC flowing into boring to explain buses. They're not going to cross the line until you spool up your left engine (again which you should typically do, it saves a lot of trouble.) Once your left gets loud enough to be annoying, you'll hear the master caution on your APU GEN, because the Left AC Generator locked it out and took over, as well as a few other things happening (like the scary 'Did I break it?' noise when you first turn off the APU GEN and hear things sounding like they're shutting down.) :)

And yes, fifteen seconds won't hurt you at all, and it'll give things time to even out fully, and if a catastrophe is gonna happen, at least it's not happening in the middle of you spooling up another engine and shooting more power into the system and powering on more buses to get fried. Startup for awhile can seem like a rush, but the A-10C has a good system of checks and balances internally within the electrical system and engines that work together to ensure that things overlap properly and there isn't a brownout (barring an actual electrical system or engine failure of course.)

Yurgon, I am running World: 1.2.16.43180.9-9 and A-10C: 1.2.16.43180.9-9. Attached is the mission file. Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

Daves First Mission.miz

=====================================

Intel I7-6700 32GB RAM, Krait Z170A, NVIDIA RTX 2080ti 11GB, TrackIR5, TM HOTAS Warthog, MFG pedals, Samsung CRG9 49" monitor, HP Reverb VR, 500GB SSD.

Yurgon, I am running World: 1.2.16.43180.9-9 and A-10C: 1.2.16.43180.9-9. Attached is the mission file. Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

The mission file contains a lot of folders that override most of the settings that were made in the Mission Editor. This goes so far that reloading the DSMS mid-flight doesn't even update the loadout correctly.

I've seen this on a number of missions. I believe the most common cause is when someone uses the "Prepare mission" feature, but there were also cases where the mission creators said they never used it on that mission.

Whatever the reason, the solution is quite simple. .miz files are simply Zip-archives and can be opened with any tool that can handle Zip files, like the Windows Explorer, WinZip etcetera. Just open the mission with one of them, delete all the folders, and the problems vanish into thin air. :thumbup:

(On a self-complementary note, that is exactly what I thought was going to be the cause. Or, to quote Mal Reynolds: "It's a real burden being right so often." :D)

capture_20151218_001.thumb.png.c425ba01092e722f1dc404385309b1c3.png

Hi not sure where to ask this so as it is about the A10C I will try here.

I have bought the Enemy Within for the A10C. It told me to install DSC World 1.5 which I have now done. My other modules are installed in DSC World 1.5 but the A10C is not.

Should I have uninstalled DSC World 1.2 first or do I need to re=purchase the A10C?

I bought the A10C and I'm excited. Its working flawlessly in v 1.2+ but it does not show up in v1.5. I purchased it specifically tp utilise the aircraft with the A10C specific campaign which requires v1.5. So...it's in v1.2... how do I install it into v1.5? I think the penny just dropped. Do I have to buy the campaign and install it. Then v1.5 will recognise the aircraft. Yeah? Please Jesus, Yeah?

Jon

Edited by jonss