Little details that you've noticed?

Oiten

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really not helpful to anyone. As a pilot with an ANR headset, when you put them on, the world gets quite for you so you can do your job. Talk to ATC. Communicate. Even cheap sets can cancel a lot of noise. Because that is what they are designed to do. Now back on topic.

Strange, my experience is very different. With brain bucket or noise canceling headsets I could hear details even in noisy CH-46 and Apache. A pal tells the story about hearing a cavitating hydraulic pump at the 180 just before a trap in an A6. Now days he and I often fly a C-45H together and even with noise cnxing headsets we can hear boost pumps, gear and flap motors. But maybe after 40+ years in the saddle we're just imagining it, so you may be right.

• Like 2

Let's put it all back in our pants, gentlemen. No need to compare e-peen size by hanging out your flight log here.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

Strange, my experience is very different. With brain bucket or noise canceling headsets I could hear details even in noisy CH-46 and Apache. A pal tells the story about hearing a cavitating hydraulic pump at the 180 just before a trap in an A6. Now days he and I often fly a C-45H together and even with noise cnxing headsets we can hear boost pumps, gear and flap motors. But maybe after 40+ years in the saddle we're just imagining it, so you may be right.

A few years ago when I had my F-16 flight, there were a few sounds I could hear. I couldn't hear the flaps, landing gear and no pumps. I did however hear the engine change pitch when we were coming in to land. Also, I couldn't hear the AB kick in. The only reason I knew we were in AB was the pilot said "there goes the AB" and I felt the sense of speed.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

^^^

I had the same experience when I had a flight in the F22 a couple years ago. :)

So jealous of you guys and your flights in military jets.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

^^^

I had the same experience when I had a flight in the F22 a couple years ago. :)

So jealous of you guys and your flights in military jets.

:megalol: good one, some of us get lucky, I almost got lucky twice. I still have 9 more years to go, we'll see what happens. That's one reason why I like to go TDY with the jets...increases my chances for a flight.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Maybe he was sitting in the pilot's lap... (hope there was no turbulence)

Rolf. I never claimed to be in the air force. I'm a SEL pilot. I'll leave it at that. I just felt that the op post of "Wrong" was not appropriate respond when he obviously had more to say but instead of doing so we get a one word response. Especially when my own experience says that he was quite right.

Back on topic. Last night I was trying to put the A10 into a fully developed stall spin. It's a little slow at getting out of it. Is there a correct procedure for getting out.

Right now I'm using the generic, power to idle while neutraling the controls, apply full rudder to break the spin, elevator down and adding power carefully not the re-enter the stall. Any advice to recover faster?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was in the F22 trainer. Its top secret so you probably don't know about it. They store it in the alien hangers...

I would like to know the stall recovery procedures as well. When I stall, I look at my IAS and its over 200 and just about any input sets off the alarms and re-enters the stall. Then I try to do less and less input and finally get out with a couple thousand before "landing". A bit nerve racking and I would like to know proper procedures for getting out with less trial and error. Which rudder input are you using? Counter the spin direction I assume?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

First post here, but the one thing I noticed is when you do a fly by in F3 mode, when you fire the gun a few seconds later you hear the sound of the gun. I thought it was pretty cool.

"There is always a small microcosm of people

who need to explain away their suckage"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So does your inner ear measure the gradient of acceleration (a.k.a. "jerk")? Cool I didn't know that.

• Like 1

SPECS: Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.2 Ghz +turboboost enabled, 12 GB DDR3 1600 @ 1500 Mhz, ATI Radeon 5850, TrackIR 5, X52 Pro and Saitek pedals

So does your inner ear measure the gradient of acceleration (a.k.a. "jerk")? Cool I didn't know that.

No, it measures absolute acceleration. However, your brain will be very aware of quick changes in acceleration.

The inner ear is a less than perfect mechanism and prolonged periods of constant accleration (several minutes) can sometimes register as a slowly decreasing absolute acceleration. However, the ear is definitely not designed to measure the rate of change of acceleration.

Also of note, the inner ear will give the body position sense in 3 axes of rotation (they actually don't match up with a standard X, Y, Z system, but similarly are all in orthogonal planes), but again is a less than perfect system.

The conception that the inner ear gives only rate of change in acceleration tends to come from the confusion situations like a pilot can have in IFR weather. A pilot in say a shallow 15 degree bank turn will feel as if he's level and not turning. The problem here is that in a stable turn, there is no acceleration whatsoever. If the pilot increases bank fro 15 to 30 degrees, he will again feel like he's turning during that increase in bank, as there is now rotational and angular acceleration. This error in this misconception stems more from inaccuracy of the latter system (position sense) than in inaccuracy of acceleration detection.

Edited by ESzczesniak

F22 is single pilot, right. So they don t have double seat for training, so thats why they are invisible, as there s no pilot they don t fly, hence stealth fighters.

Ho i forgot

/Sarcasm off.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

You mean acceleration (butt/back) and gradient of acceleration (inner ear) :smartass:

Man, you went all technical on me :D

• Like 1

I was playing around with the MFD functions and I found something cool.

If you go to the STAT page, then scroll trough all the different systems, for some you can do a test.

For the MFCD it goes trough different colors then you have to press all buttons and rockers to see if they work. You can also do it for the HOTAS, where you have to go trough all the HOTAS buttons in sequence to see if they work. Comes in handy for checking how your controller profile works out!

• Like 1

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

I like the blackout effect caused by G forces when you hit the ground too hard, awsome :)

ASUS P6X58D Premium, Intel Core i7 980X 3.33 Ghz Extreme, 12 Gb Corsair DDR 3 1600 Mhz, 2x 1 Gb Geforce 460 GTX GLH in SLI , X52 Pro, Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Logitech G15, TrackIR 4 Pro, 600 Gb Sata 3 WD Velociraptor 10000 RPM, 1000 W Corsair PSU, HOTAS WARTHOG

Not to mention the fact, weapons don't fall through your plane. Accidentely I have bombed myself in the air during my first bombing practice. The first couple of MK-82s went on targets nicely, but on the third run I was in a hurry to get the pipper on the target and somehow I flew into the released bombs lol

ASUS P6X58D Premium, Intel Core i7 980X 3.33 Ghz Extreme, 12 Gb Corsair DDR 3 1600 Mhz, 2x 1 Gb Geforce 460 GTX GLH in SLI , X52 Pro, Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Logitech G15, TrackIR 4 Pro, 600 Gb Sata 3 WD Velociraptor 10000 RPM, 1000 W Corsair PSU, HOTAS WARTHOG

sry to see that there was no Hoover dam. Is it wip or just not there?:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol: