Take On Helicopter - New game by Bohemia Interactive

Eight Ball

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At $70 it's definitely a very hard sell.......I'll wait for more peer-reviews to trickle in first.

I only see about $20 worth of stuff here, personally. They even still have the green boxes around the targets. Little has changed. And I think they are going to have a tough sell to the Arma regulars as well. I don't think they are interested in the FM as much as they are interested in the HUD and more realistic targeting systems, like Shkval, EO, and FLIR. Though I really don't know what the HUD or instruments of something old like the Hind look like.

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

I only see about $20 worth of stuff here, personally. They even still have the green boxes around the targets. Little has changed. And I think they are going to have a tough sell to the Arma regulars as well. I don't think they are interested in the FM as much as they are interested in the HUD and more realistic targeting systems, like Shkval, EO, and FLIR. Though I really don't know what the HUD or instruments of something old like the Hind look like.

The biggest changes are in regards to the FM. And that's what TOH is all about in the first place - something you cannot show in any video. And that's exactly why I like the Hind and think it was worth my money. In the end of the day everyone has to decide for himself. If you think it's not worth the money don't buy it or wait until the price drops.

There are currently still problems with the medium heli (some weird bug that disables torque effects for me and some other players) and the heavy heli isn't quite there yet but the light helicopter handles very well and the FM of the Hind is excellent.

BIS got rid of the green boxes for the missiles on the SuperHind. I don't know if it is intentional or a bug but I like it. It also has the biggest changes regarding FCS for missiles (e.g. manual guidance using the FLIR monitor, nothing fancy though). FCS are a little more detailed than in Arma 2 but if you're playing as a Pilot you only give orders to your gunner - how else would it be? And to be honest you simply cannot expect a full sim for 13 bucks (Hind DLC).

It certainly is not a game for everyone but anyone who wants to get a good flightexperience might want to have a look at it. Like Arma it's rough around the edges but once you get into it it's great fun. The Arma 2 maps are by far my most favourite and I would've paid 10 bucks to get a proper port - now BIS is giving them for free which is amazing.

I bought the Black Shark earlier this month and flying that thing isn't as much fun as the Hind in TOH (even though I'm convinced the FM is properly simulated, it's just a different design). It's the detailed avionics that are interesting about it and make it fun for me. It has a coaxial rotor and it almost flies itself (which is needed in a single seat attack chopper tbh). A totally different experience with another focus. I'm still learning to use all the systems obviously. It's a full simulator whereas TOH is a simulation game with focus on the flightexperience. And in that regard it delivers and gets better with every patch (unless it brakes something herp derp).

Anyway, the point is I like TOH for what it is. And I'm confident that BIS will fix the obvious shortcomings like the HUD. It is pricy and because of that I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I won't play much of Arma 2 after the patch comes out tbh. Only for the occasional ACE Coop mission or PR: A2.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

@Derbysieger

The issue that I still have is the TrackIR issue. I don´t know about you, are you using TrackIR? It feels like sitting on a cone and every move makes you slip away from that point you actually are aiming to (certain point in the Cockpit). It is always a fight just to hit the Batteries, Starter switches or even the Throttles. I am fighting more with the handling of those issues than I am fighting with the Flightmodel.

What are your expiriences in this?

I also tried to change my TraxckIR profile, but no satisfactorily result so far.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I don't have TIR yet. I only got into flightsims about a year ago and I just can't afford it atm but it's definately top priority. I heard about the TIR issue though and there is already a CIT ticket up: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/26500

Vote to make BIS aware that it needs to be fixed asap.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

I don't have TIR yet. I only got into flightsims about a year ago and I just can't afford it atm but it's definately top priority.

in DCS it´s a indispensable device. In ArmA actually as well, even as normal Soldier. But in ToH it´s a pain in the butt...somehow

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Sure but I can still have fun until I can afford it and then look back and say how could I do without for so long, right? :D

I'm just a poor student who was unfortunate enough to inherit some (read: not enough) money last year (as a german you should know what that usually means in this country).

I bought the Black Shark earlier this month and flying that thing isn't as much fun as the Hind in TOH

You are right, and my first comment about TOH hind was wrong. This game is very fun and realistic in many ways. If BIS give us a proper avionic, this game could be a killer (with the free arma patch).

You are right, and my first comment about TOH hind was wrong. This game is very fun and realistic in many ways. If BIS give us a proper avionic, this game could be a killer (with the free arma patch).

Not quite sure if sarcastic or not (honestly, just tell me ;) )

The one thing that is really good about the Hinds is the FM. And I prefer the feel of a traditional helicopter over a coaxial rotor design. That was all I was trying to say. I still enjoy the Black Shark (and of course the A-10C) - it's just a different experience.

Not quite sure if sarcastic or not (honestly, just tell me ;) )

Not sarcastic, i agree with you :)

I like this game but i hope to have a proper avionic (HUD) in the near futur. BIS is great DEV team, i am sure they will do something.

Edited by sylkhan

Just a example what the community is able to do with only Arma 2, imagen this with Take On helicopters combined. And this is just the beginning. Nod unit and Franze are doing some impressive stuff with the little tools they have. They even made MFD's possible whit this chopper while alot said it could not be done with only arma 2.

Edited by winchesterdelta1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Just a example what the community is able to do with only Arma 2, imagen this with Take On helicopters combined. And this is just the beginning. Nod unit and Franze are doing some impressive stuff with the little tools they have. They even made MFD's possible whit this chopper while alot said it could not be done with only arma 2.

Is it possible to download it already, or is this a preview only?

Wow that mod looks awesome.

indeed

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Its a preview only. More features are going to be build in. And they are thinking about a full functional fcs with the Take On version. This is what Bohemia should have done with the Hind DLC. But we cant have everything.

Edited by winchesterdelta1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Its a preview only. More features are going to ne build in. And they are thinking about a full functional fcs with the Take On version. This is what Bohemia should have done with the Hind DLC. But we cant have everything.

If they are going to release a TOH version with RTT and proper flight characteristics I will be all over this mod. Naturally I'm going to play around with the A2 mod but RTT would add so much more to this already awesome project.

• 1 month later...

Take On Helicopters Demo

You can read all about the Take On Helicopters’ Demo here, consult the full game manual here, or download directly below!
The demo offers a wide variety of content, including:

• Free Flight mode
  • Light and medium helicopters (limited set of variants)
  • 30 x 30 km section of our Seattle terrain
  • 2 singleplayer scenarios
  • 3 Time Trial courses
  • 3 Training scenarios
  • 1 multiplayer scenario
  • Our powerful 2D scenario Editor (limited version: does not allow saving/loading)

http://takeonthegame.com/take-on-helicopters-demo-download/

A checklist of the features included in the DEMO and those exclusive to the full game:

http://takeonthegame.com/take-on-demo/

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

The demo offers a wide variety of content, including:

...and it has been out on Steam for how long?;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

And its crap, really crap, its not even as good as flying a helo in Operation Flashpoint, its not as good as Search and Rescue, its not even as good as Sim Copter.

The missions and campaigns are boring, his brother moans on like an old woman about the old days and safety, the graphics are crap, seattle is a crap city to Simulate, the sounds is (you guessed it) the water is (you guessed it).

Please BI concentrate all your efforts on ARMA 3 and drop this crud.

And its crap, really crap, its not even as good as flying a helo in Operation Flashpoint, its not as good as Search and Rescue, its not even as good as Sim Copter.

The missions and campaigns are boring, his brother moans on like an old woman about the old days and safety, the graphics are crap, seattle is a crap city to Simulate, the sounds is (you guessed it) the water is (you guessed it).

Please BI concentrate all your efforts on ARMA 3 and drop this crud.

some ppl still dont get what TOH actually is...

DCS-Tutorial-Collection