DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

Everything is a guess at this point, but if I were building a new system for DCS I would use your existing I5 as it is a fair piece of equipment.. Same for the 8 GIGs memory (16 would be my choice as I am betting DCS 2.0 will require more memory that the current iteration.) WIN7 should be good so I would use existing.. And finally I would take a good look at the Nvidia 970 GTX and 980 GTX video cards.. (I would go for the 980 but it is pretty pricey. The 970 looks to be the best buy of the 2 by far and either one should do well with DCS currently and into the DCS 2.0 realm.)

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasnt there an ED Tester on this forum who somewhen stated "the current build of 2.0 / edge is running pretty good on my system, see specs in my sig."?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

That may be, but since we don't know what build that is and have no idea how that build relates to the upcoming completed retail version I am not sure how useful that information really is?

(I agree it should give a few clues on what to expect but nothing that can be relied on at this point.)

RAMBO

i agree outlaw, but have to think, that usualy the requirements would be lower as the software is beeing optimized while beeing developed.

anyway, we will see when it gets released someday, until then i save my money. ;)

regards,

RR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Besides, If this tester said the system was handling "a couple of planes in field of view, firing off rockets and dropping cluster bombs" pretty good, that would actually mean something :D. Otherwise the "pretty good" is pretty vague statement at the moment!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

i agree outlaw, but have to think, that usualy the requirements would be lower as the software is beeing optimized while beeing developed.

anyway, we will see when it gets released someday, until then i save my money. ;)

regards,

RR

Well not trying to be difficult here but I don't agree with that assesment.. While it is true they are probably optimizing the software as best they can, this is a rendering engine that will be used moving forward for some years and as such they are going to try to stretch the current capabilities as much as they can.. While I expect some great improvements due to DX11 being used for example, I also expect that ED will try to pack as many features and enhancements as they can to wow all of us. These enhancements will take horsepower to utilize..

My guess is that even with optimization and DX11 etc. I think EDGE 2.0 will still require more computing power than the current version does... WHERE that power will be most required (CPU, Memory, Video Card) I can't say..

And remember that NONE of this is based on anything other than info on this forum and my own experience with computers. It is all a WILD GUESS.

RAMBO

It would be a safe bet anyway on upgrading from 560 to 970/980, but definitely a branded PSU.

Anything else, might be best to wait until release then upgrade as necessary, if you think it needs it.

Everything is a guess at this point, but if I were building a new system for DCS I would use your existing I5 as it is a fair piece of equipment.. Same for the 8 GIGs memory (16 would be my choice as I am betting DCS 2.0 will require more memory that the current iteration.) WIN7 should be good so I would use existing.. And finally I would take a good look at the Nvidia 970 GTX and 980 GTX video cards.. (I would go for the 980 but it is pretty pricey. The 970 looks to be the best buy of the 2 by far and either one should do well with DCS currently and into the DCS 2.0 realm.)

Minimum System Power Requirement only 500W. I was thinking I'd need a 1600W power supply for that

Hmm...I could have that for about $400. Also, since the GTX 970 is also so new it won't be on sale, so I can properly wait it out until my GPU dies.

Definitely need a new PSU desperately, though.

I would wait.

At the moment DCS is mainly bottlenecked by the CPU, I can't imagine that's going to change considerably. If/when they start adding more graphics bells and whistles then the GPU requirement might come up to meet the CPU requirement, but the CPU is always going to where it's at for sims. Of course, this is also dependent on the amount of screens and the resolution you play at.

As for RAM, is Edge going to be 64bit? If not I would imagine 8GB to be perfectly fine.

What's the VRAM amount on the 560 Ti?

The K at the end of your CPU classification means it's got an unlocked multiplier, meaning that it's effectivly got a big red sticker on it saying "OVERCLOCK ME YA B******D". So if you have good airflow in your case (and the space) get a better cooler (unless you have a good one already?) and overclock your CPU. I have an i5 2500K (Sandybridge not Ivybridge like you) and get a stable 4.5GHz out of it.

Edited by DTWD
Grammer

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would wait.

At the moment DCS is mainly bottlenecked by the CPU, I can't imagine that's going to change considerably. If/when they start adding more graphics bells and whistles then the GPU requirement might come up to meet the CPU requirement, but the CPU is always going to where it's at for sims. Of course, this is also dependent on the amount of screens and the resolution you play at.

As for RAM, is Edge going to be 64bit? If not I would imagine 8GB to be perfectly fine.

What's the VRAM amount on the 560 Ti?

The K at the end of your CPU classification means it's got an unlocked multiplier, meaning that it's effectivly got a big red sticker on it saying "OVERCLOCK ME YA B******D". So if you good airflow in your case (and the space) get a better cooler (unless you have a good one already?) and overclock your CPU. I have an i5 2500K (Sandybridge not Ivybridge like you) and get a stable 4.5GHz out of it.

1024 MB GDDR5

Haven't really thought to overclock it tbh. Should I try 4.5GHz? I dont know a lot about overclocking.

Either way I'll have to wait for my new PSU. The PSU I have doesnt even allow me to use my coolermaster fans.

1600W is beyond overkill unless your going multi-gpu?

You're better to spend your money on a PSU with a good rating that actually achieves it without instead of marketing numbers.

I was trying to be comical lol. 970 only requires 500W so I'd probably get a solid 600W from EVGA

DCS is already 64 bit.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well not trying to be difficult here but I don't agree with that assesment. .... It is all a WILD GUESS.

not taking you difficult, and totaly in agreement there mate ;)

problem is, that we could fill a book with logical educated guesswork and would be totaly wrong in the end, thats why i kept it short ;)

the engine WILL need fewer resources when released then it needed IN development. what resources that are, and what features will come, no idea.

guess we all are looking forward to it, and will be suprised in one way or the other ;)

PS:

guess the original question was answered, as there is no answer to it (at this point) :D

regards,

RR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Noli Timere Messorem

Terry Pratchett

1024 MB GDDR5

Haven't really thought to overclock it tbh. Should I try 4.5GHz? I dont know a lot about overclocking.

Either way I'll have to wait for my new PSU. The PSU I have doesnt even allow me to use my coolermaster fans.

Overclocking will only net U about 2or3 frames per second increase, most have found it a waist of time and not worth the potential destruction of the CPU.

If U were having issues with the power supply, I would guess the problems with the GPU were related, and it is in fact, not going bad as U stated.

A wait and see on the GPU is relatively prudent. Relatively meaning what are your druthers? Purchasing the best GPU that ur money can buy at this time will ill fail U. No matter the specific requirements of the new graphics engine, and its inability to outpace what the market has to offer at this juncture. It is after all, in it self older technology, it's just going to be "New" to DCS Products right? So the "Requirements" will be the same as they are for it at present. This method is in use on other products as we speak. It is "Sand Boxing" a "Sand Boxed" software program after all.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

1024 MB GDDR5

I have the same CPU. Overclocking to 4.5 is incredibly easy, change 2 settings in the bios. Simply change multiplier to 45 and CPU speed to 100 MHz (I forget the actual name right now but it's easy to spot.)

If you don't have cooling then maybe change the multiplier to 40 for 4.0ghz

BUT, make sure your PSU is up to giving it the power it needs or it won't work. If it doesn't just change it back.

It's not a magic button, but every FPS helps. And it doesn't kill your CPU unless you overdo it with heat. If you dont touch anything else in fact it doesn't even run at 4.5 until it's needed. I've had mine overclocked at 4.5 for 2 years now on fan cooling with no problems.

Edited by ricktoberfest

Can anyone tell if below rig can work well for EDGE?

Laptop:

Intel Haswell i7-4700MQ

Nvidia GT750M 2GB GDDR5

Ram 16GB DDR3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Can anyone tell if below rig can work well for EDGE?

Laptop:

Intel Haswell i7-4700MQ

Nvidia GT750M 2GB GDDR5

Ram 16GB DDR3

Completely under powered. Wait.. it's plenty.. I think you'd get 22 fps average.

lol how are we supposed to know what will work well for EDGE when nobody has it yet? The testers are staying pretty tight lipped also so who exactly are you asking? :music_whistling:

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --