DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically no news in this interview.

Nothing we didn't know yet :-/

Nevada as expected "hopefully" before end of year.

Everything subject to change.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

Basically no news in this interview.

Nothing we didn't know yet :-/

Nevada as expected "hopefully" before end of year.

Everything subject to change.

Yup, the usual...

Lots of questions, but no real answers. Since no other product is to be released before Nevada and FC3 anymore, it could mean that there´ll be more updates than those 4-8 screens every 3-4 months or so. I hope.

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

Absolutely Awesome!! I can't think of anything else to except that I'm glad I had the beta, hehe.

Who knows... when Navada was promised to us beta testers to be free it wasn't a real ED project and also another product as Matt always points out.

Wouldn't surprise me if they charge everybody for those unexpected dev/production costs.

But would be understandable and reasonable.

I'd buy it either way

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

-->

How does May 2012 become "the end of the year" why focus on P51 and combined arms when we all bought beta versions of A10 and they removed nevada and since then nothing, no hint at progress, no deadline set and met - I feel as if they've just shafted the fans who invested their cash up front to support an amazing simulation but want desperately to fly over desert terrain. Why not release what they have done as a beta and we can help them iron out whatever is holding it up - come on ED where's the love

Bigian: http://simhq.com/_air13/air_479a.html

Quotes:

Q: Will it include the ability for land / terrain modules as well as aircraft?

Matt: Yes, the first of which will be the long-awaited Nevada terrain.

Q: What is the status of the Nevada map?

Matt: After a break of several months, the team is working on it again. What should be kept in mind though, is that while this project started as a 3rd party effort, it had to be completed by Eagle after the 3rd party group ceased to be. When this happened, we basically restarted the entire project from scratch such that it would meet our quality standards and take advantage of our new Image Generator (IG). What people first saw in the A-10C beta is a completely different product now. We hope to have the map released before the end of the year.

Q: Are there any plans for in-house add-on theaters beyond Nevada? DCS World implies an area larger than the Black Sea region.

Matt: Yes, but we are not discussing them at this time. We'd like to finish Nevada first.

Further, please note that Nevada is developed at the Minsk offices, by a separate team. I hope you understand that as a developer you don't use staff trained towards development of flight models and game mechanics towards terrain - they are different disciplines in the same way you use different staff to design an aircraft and train the personnel that pilot said aircraft.

Also note that it wasn't "release in May", it was "updates in May". This was the update: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1463806&postcount=26

This thread contains more information on the subject of Nevada: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=71156

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Who knows... when Navada was promised to us beta testers to be free it wasn't a real ED project and also another product as Matt always points out.

Wouldn't surprise me if they charge everybody for those unexpected dev/production costs.

But would be understandable and reasonable.

I'd buy it either way

I´m sorry, but "unexpected" would be rather imprecise, no? I don´t hope or think they went into this without some idea of the possible cost. Hypothetically and just out of curiousuity - would you really buy it after someone told you it´s going to be free and then it´s not in the end? All this just goes to say that I think ED already has rather demanding but at the same time quite gracious regulars and that a costumer´s faith is something harder to regain than some lost revenue. I bought all their stuff since A-10 when it came out as a beta-version, but I´m not sure if I´d do that as you describe.

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

How does May 2012 become "the end of the year" why focus on P51 and combined arms when we all bought beta versions of A10 and they removed nevada and since then nothing, no hint at progress, no deadline set and met - I feel as if they've just shafted the fans who invested their cash up front to support an amazing simulation but want desperately to fly over desert terrain. Why not release what they have done as a beta and we can help them iron out whatever is holding it up - come on ED where's the love

Cash up front is in part their business model, isn´t it? That´s for the core fan base at least.

I would certainly second your remark, but I think ED has come to consider Nevada a new product rather than the fulfillment of an old promise. I hope this all means that the terrain is just bigger and better than anyone expected and it´s going to be one of ED´s good old funny surprise releases - DCS Theatre: West Coast. :music_whistling:

The quality they´ve shown so far is very satisfying and you´re still getting it for free. The only thing is that there are no regular indicators of progress, content etc. whatsoever, which might explain the seemingly endless development process.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

I have a strong feeling that the A10c beta purchases will not get this included as expected.

I just wish ED had spent time & effort on a different location. Flying Nevada has no appeal to me, and i would suspect many non US citizens feel the same. Its just not a potential war zone is it. Training... yawn :P

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

I have a strong feeling that the A10c beta purchases will not get this included as expected.

I just wish ED had spent time & effort on a different location. Flying Nevada has no appeal to me, and i would suspect many non US citizens feel the same. Its just not a potential war zone is it. Training... yawn :P

Any freaking map will do, even fictional. I'm just bored of playing the same damn map all the time. Sometimes I will open up the game, and then exit because I hate seeing the same terrain over and over again.

I am excited for Nevada (Grand Canyon!!!)because of the distinct of scenery, but worried that it will become vaporware.

Any freaking map will do, even fictional. I'm just bored of playing the same damn map all the time. Sometimes I will open up the game, and then exit because I hate seeing the same terrain over and over again.

I am excited for Nevada (Grand Canyon!!!)because of the distinct of scenery, but worried that it will become vaporware.

I do agree anything new will do. Playing on the Black Sea map for... how many years is it? too many.

Nevada is probably the most unlikely place in the entire world for an actual conflict. Which is a shame.. and yes i'll just pretend it is some fictional middle eastern country.. i'll shut my eyes if i fly too close to Vegas.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

I think ED has come to consider Nevada a new product rather than the fulfillment of an old promise.

Seems to be the case based on the SimHQ interview with Wags. Original group tasked with putting out the map went under, ED picked it back up and basically started from scratch to put out something that hopefully exceeds what we originally flew over.

I feel it would be poor form not honoring the A10c pre-orderers with the Nevada they've been waiting so long for.."new product" or otherwise.

If it's going to be called a new product and demand it's pay-for-all , then the very least they can do is contact the pre-orderers with a download link to the existing Nevada map they paid for so we could use it now.

(yes i removed my beta1+2 installs, silly me)

also...

For those who have paid extra licences (in my case, a 2nd a10c) so they can host dedi servers, will an additional licence be required to host a Nevada map..or can we start a sever with any map and only the clients joining slots require the Nevada licence ?

ta

Edit: my last point wont work, cause i keep forgetting server can jump into a slot too from its pc

Edited by chokko

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I´m sorry, but "unexpected" would be rather imprecise, no? I don´t hope or think they went into this without some idea of the possible cost. Hypothetically and just out of curiousuity - would you really buy it after someone told you it´s going to be free and then it´s not in the end?

Well as it is described they didn't expect to do it as it is done now and now they do it themselves and all over. Starting from scratch sounds unexpected to me.

And though I get your point of promising and not keeping it I would understand it business wise with a closer look and go with it.

But we're extremely speculating here and justifying based on a worse case scenario/assumption!

Maybe it all happens as promised.

Moments in DCS:

-->

old bugs...old times.

go at time 03.00

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.

Personally, knowing what Nevada was like during the beta and where it is with the new engine I would not be against paying for it. I do hope they keep with the original intent to release Nevada as a free update to those that pre-ordered, but I can understand if it's not fiscally possible.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Las Vegas at night, that's what I want to see! :)

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Putting very little thought into this reply, I Pre Ordered A10 like all of you, excited about using the bonus map with KA-50.

I would understand, considering the context of having to rebuild the map to keep it up to date, if they would like to charge for it. I mean they would have to explain themselves sure, but other than that I wouldn't not buy it considering having a potential theater that is similar to the action going on IRL In the desert would be exciting to play.

Other than my flimsy statement/point Im sure you get my drift :)

I am feeling confident that Eagle are making the right choices with DCS World, considering the hassle they had to go through with compatibility patches and the like.

i5 4690K, GTX1070, 24GB 1800mhz, HP WMR, Custom FFB helicopter controls.

In case I started this discussion about this thought, please note nothing was said this way by ED.

I just meant given the circumstances it wouldn't surprise me and I wouldn't think its unreasonable

Moments in DCS:

-->

I do hope they keep with the original intent to release Nevada as a free update to those that pre-ordered

That is still the last word on that matter.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Personally, knowing what Nevada was like during the beta and where it is with the new engine I would not be against paying for it. I do hope they keep with the original intent to release Nevada as a free update to those that pre-ordered, but I can understand if it's not fiscally possible.

Well as it is described they didn't expect to do it as it is done now and now they do it themselves and all over. Starting from scratch sounds unexpected to me.

And though I get your point of promising and not keeping it I would understand it business wise with a closer look and go with it.

But we're extremely speculating here and justifying based on a worse case scenario/assumption!

Maybe it all happens as promised.

Certainly this is not about any things that might have been said or "promised" or the speculation about intentions, but you´re right - such a decision is for the most part understandable. I just wouldn´t make such a decision at this point. It will depend very much on what in fact Nevada turns out to be in the end with regard to quality and extent. The BS2 thing never got me angry...

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

It will depend very much on what in fact Nevada turns out to be in the end with regard to quality and extent. The BS2 thing never got me angry...

well said. Yes Let's hope they can afford to keep their word.

Moments in DCS:

-->

ED is not a charity organization. They rebuilt the map from the ground up, it's a totally different map development team and a totally different rendering engine. It's not the same product that was mentioned in A-10C beta. That Nevada map died with the dev group that was doing it.

I feel it's reasonable to purchase DCS: Nevada as the first proof of concept on the new terrain rendering engine. How else are they supposed to offset the cost of the terrain engine development if they give it away?