• AH-64A Apache
    • AH-64D Longbow
    • Eurocopter Tiger
    • Mi-24 Hind
    • Mi-28 Havok
    • Rooivalk
    • Other

DCS: Robinson R-22/R-44 What if*

Having just finished my instrument rating, I was pretty put off of the instrument simulators that were available.

I honestly believe that with the DCS engine that they could do a hell of a lot better job simulating a R-22 and/or R-44

Thoughts or ideas about this?:joystick:

• ED Team

Yes why not, more the merrier.

I personally think it would be great to see all types of aircraft in DCS as the Sim gets bigger and better maps.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I had this idea a long time ago and I was met with "it doesnt have guns" so that is the same wall you will run into. I for one would love to see an R22/R44 in DCS. I created my own R66 a while back for FSX just for fun. I might do an R22 for DCS for myself once i figure out how the animations function in DCS and how they are triggered. It was simpler in FSX to model.

I think it would be cool! Imaging the FSX cross-over players complaining the flight model is too hard.. lol With all the 3rd partys etc probably won't be that far away. :)

FSX cross players are aware that FSX default helo flight model is far from realistic. No need for sarcasm.

I'd love to have realistic R22 in DCS, especially for Nevada map.

The more the better.

For sure If DCS gets a world map and and SDK to make airports/scenery and all I have no doubt we'll even see airliners in DCS. The SIM itself is just so good!

*Disclaimer: NOT in the current state though :P (1.2.6). ED need to sort out a lot of stuff for this to happen, but I can see it happening!

I've not got a problem with non-military A/C in the game. However would be a bit weird to see them flying about in an actual warzone (although you could pretend they're running weapons illegally or something).

Imagine somewhere down the line when the whole of Europe could be mapped and played almost like an MMO. All the military pilots would be in war zones while the civilian guys are doing their thing in more peaceful areas.

What would actually happen those is all the fighter guys would go off shooting airliners for fun ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

I've not got a problem with non-military A/C in the game. However would be a bit weird to see them flying about in an actual warzone (although you could pretend they're running weapons illegally or something).

Imagine somewhere down the line when the whole of Europe could be mapped and played almost like an MMO. All the military pilots would be in war zones while the civilian guys are doing their thing in more peaceful areas.

What would actually happen those is all the fighter guys would go off shooting airliners for fun ;)

It's all up to the mission designer ;)

you guys need a DCS:Sedan and a DCS:Office Building so you can populate my World with cannon fodder

All jokes aside.....I like the idea about civilian aircraft (and vehicles/ship) in the game, just because I dont necessarily want to fly one doesn't mean I dont see the value in a wider spread audience....

here lately I found myself doing more and more scenic flights, but I normally populate a small village with insurgents so i can finish my scenic tour with some rocket salvos

I just had a stoner moment .... how about a DCS:Ground crew....would work good with DCS:ATC

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

why not?

Flying is flying and training aircraft often aren't armed.

I don't see anyone complaining about some of the other unarmed trainers in development (well not too many anyway). Is that just because they are military unarmed types and some here want to fly military hardware only?

Having flown both in real life I find it difficult to understand why some would have a problem with military versus non-military types in this Sim. After all the experience in one is always useful in the other in more ways than just airmanship.

As mentioned above if you don't want them in multiplayer sessions they can be designed out and if you don't want them personally don't buy/install.

Isn't it that simple?

J.

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Ex RAF Aircrew, Real Life Pilot, proud Geek and father of one :)

I find it difficult to understand why some would have a problem with military versus non-military types in this Sim. After all the experience in one is always useful in the other in more ways than just airmanship.

I would have a problem with that if it would involve ED, Belsimtek, VEAO or other experienced mil aircraft developers in making civilian aircrafts.

IMO it is better now to bring as many military aircraft as possible in "as real as it gets" idea, because there is no other military sim so advanced as DCS at this time in the market.

Now if you want advanced civilian aircraft avionics, you can choose from lots of models for FSX. But if you want to fly and blow up stuff, what can you do?

Edited by lesnyborsuk

I remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

People keep saying "Why not?" to civilian aircraft and my reason for not wanting civvie planes is that they would take time and effortaway from projects that I am really interested in... I can just imagine the posts that would ensue when people found out that their pet plane / chopper wahtever was being held up by an R22 or a Cessna...

"Sorry but the AH64D is on hold while we finish up the Cessna Cardinal that we have been working on "

Yeah that would be a fun thread.. LOL

And should we change DCS too? DIGITAL CIVILIAN SIMULATOR... (Nope I don't like it)

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Meh

I guess I didn't explain well enough, this wouldn't be in DCS. I mean, if we had the choice between a bucket of M80's to dump out the sides or being able to tape bottle rockets to the side of a R-22, I'm sure it could take on a shilka...

I was talking more along the lines of using the flight models and the helicopter physics model for a civilian application to use as a instrument trainer for helicopters. I mean, Redbird's cool and all with their moving cockpits and all that, but no one else comes close to the amount of detail and realism that ED has with their model. I think they'd dominate the market and bring in some extra cash to help fund new projects for DCS.

I don't want a bunch of civvie aircraft in DCS either, sorry about the confusion. :thumbup:

Meh.

As I voted already, gimme the Hind or pish off. tongue.gif

I'm rather disappointed that there's more votes for the Longbow than the Hind.

Not that the Longbow is a bad platform, but I personally feel the Hind is far more iconic, and has not been given the justice of a serious flight simulation. There's this allure when seeing such a beastly helicopter that the Longbow simply does not have.

So, obviously my vote was for the Hind. :sly:

Semper Fidelis -- U.S. Marine Corps Motto "Always Faithful"

“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.” - Sun Tzu

No it won't... they've axed that feature some time ago, and also effectively stated that their engine can't handle it as the fps hit would be on the order of 10 or more fps worse. For an engine that already craps out fps in a wide range of situations, it doesn't sound too likely in the near future, if ever... unless they *finally* get around to addressing the obsolete foundation upon which the game is built.

HA! I stand corrected, that's what happens when you become out of date :) A shame they couldn't make it work, thank you for correcting me.

I agree 100% that game engine is burnt out, I gave up with Arma, to me II was pretty poor, it wasn't what I was hoping for.

If a Dev wants to concentrate on Civ aircraft then I do not have a prob. As long as that Dev doesn't start advertising the next release which may be a much sort after Military aircraft and takes his or her time releasing it on behalf of updates to the Civ product.

I had issues, up until recently, with people clamouring for Trainer Aircraft, the T-38 for example which has zero weps capability. Before anyone flames me, NO the T-38 currently does NOT have a weapons capability, the AT-38B however does but they are few in number and quite limited as to what they can carry. The BAe Hawk (semi impressive array of weps but limited hard points) , T-6 (no weps in the T-6B guise fella's, AT-6B only) <--- Not afraid to hold my hands up and be proved wrong btw.

The point was made clear to me by Ells of VEAO that the Dev's need to learn how to get add ons into DCS world for us, a trainer or Civilian aircraft with its lesser systems, capabilities etc (not always the case I know) are proving to be a good exercise in cutting ones teeth, pleasing a good section of the DCS player base so that by the time we get the Heavy metal in game they will be able to give a fantastic product with all the bells and whistles with few or even no bugs. I had my blast to my ego, I was made to realise there is more to DCS and I felt ashamed that I had mouthed off my opinions regarding what I thought to be pointless exercises. I was really pleased to be put in my place, very gently I might add which I thank Ells for.

I say bring on the Civs, the Trainers, Hang Gliders, Kite flyers et al, Welcome one and all because I imagine that the more content from 3rd party Devs, the more folk become interested and move on over from the likes of MSFS (such as myself) then the the better and longer DCS World will survive as a viable simulator.

A prime example of all this is the MSFS series, by design from the out set a strictly civilian simulator, and lets not forget the fierce rows brought about the "MSFS is for Civvy only Brigade" (talk about short sighted bigots!) yet some of the best add ons for that sim were military. Cloud9's F-104 for FS2004 was an absolute revelation, anyone who flew it, died (virtually speaking of course) in it repeatedly and knows it well must surely agree with me.

The 3rd Party Dev's kept FS alive with Civ and Mil addons... That is until MS made a right mess and gave up, shame on them.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Tengah

• 2 weeks later...

Sure there is a chance. The future is a very long time.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: