Air Combat Training School (ACTS)

As well as the above you can also have check rides for IPs as teaching new pilots the right way is just as important as being the guy taught. One way is to have a series of missions for the IP as well to earn the more difficult reward in the logbook IP.:thumbup:

Normally there is a conversion course pilots have to do as well as per new aircraft they get assigned to so from basic flight trainning in a Tucanno/Hawk then to an EF2000 you would want another trainning campaign to get the new pilots upto speed.:joystick:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most are probably familiar with this: http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/

But if not, give it a read. It's an overview of the USAF JSUPT that Subs talks about.

I think this training has room for both AI driven missions and instructor lead. I wouldn't rule either of them out as a means for achieving "Qualification".

Hence my earlier post about getting the Virtual Squadrons together to determine best practices. We should ask them what would be required for "Qualification". Some may opt for more CBTs and others for more direct human involvement.

In either case the CBTs can replicate alot of the necessary training and allow the student to learn on their own time.

To quote from the link above: "To help you memorize and execute these procedures, you will find yourself chairflying these maneuvers at home and also spending a lot of time in the cockpit flight trainers at the squadron. These trainers are mock cockpits complete with all instruments and dials and gages and even the flight stick. Lots of repetition and visualization help you commit the normal and emergency procedures to memory."

Let the CBT's cover the basics and that frees up the human trainers to focus on those items that need more direct human involvement and coaching.

Take for instance Air to Air Refueling. Lot's of people have posted about how to do that properly. I have a couple of single player missions that cover the basics so it would probably be a good lead in to a more formalized AAR checkride with a human IP.

Edited by Sabre-TLA

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Guys,

All comments are welcome whether it be AI or real life and I respect everyone's opinion as I know you do too.

Sabre and others, you are quite right.

ACTS needs to be a mixture of levels of real life instruction.

My flight time and learning time is also limited and as a trainee I'd get bored of doing a course for 12 months because I can only fly for an hour a week. Hence why Rattler was asking what the learning times for each module are.

We need to keep this simplistic yet real.

As an example we can go through all the formulas for intercepts on lead and lag pursuit, or we can go through it simply by using the TAD, instruments and HUD symbology for the maths inept of us. Whether we have a "hardcore" mode or a "simple" mode or both is a fundamental question I guess. What are your thoughts on this?

This is the kind of thing that might be better left to the well organized virtual squadrons as opposed to you guys spending large amounts of time on developing (instead of working on the bird itself). Thats not to say you're spinning your wheels though. People new to flight sims and DCS could certainly make use of on an in depth initial flight training and fighter lead in school. Personally, I've been flying combat sims for 18 years now and while I enjoy learning how to be proficient in all the different areas of the jet, I don't need a script to learn to do them per say (the manual and youtube videos usually suffice). That being said, I still learn new things about the F-16/A-10C and their systems every time I fly BMS and DCS. I guess what I'm saying is I prefer learning tricks of the trade from others in my squadron. To be blunt, this sim really needs a go fast multirole jet on par with the fidelity of the A-10C and Blackshark. I'd prefer you guys focused on that instead of a flight training course. Just my two cents for what its worth.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with Azazel that DCS needs a multi-role fast jet. I really do enjoy my occasional jaunts in BS2, the A10 and the Mustang (well I love the Mustang to bits ... lol), but for my fast jet thrills I currently direct my energies into BMS F4. Wouldn't it be great (I sez to myself) if I had a DCS level fast mover with the AFM ... aye, wouldn't it be nice indeed. So, waiting patiently here.

Guess what, it's FRIDAY TOMORROW ... and that's when my pavlovian response training expects some JOYFUL news about something DCS related. Let's hope its the BIG one! :D

Edited by Teapot

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Azazel, don't worry we have seperate teams working on development and on ACTS.

Thanks for the links Subs and Sabre. Some interesting reading there.

Cool, sounds great then! Exciting times.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guess what, it's FRIDAY TOMORROW ... and that's when my pavlovian response training expects some JOYFUL news about something DCS related. Let's hope its the BIG one! :D

The Mustang was released on a Sunday. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The Mustang was released on a Sunday. ;)

Friday, Sunday what's the difference ... they're all days of the week. You're being pedantic (joke :D)

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

The only guiding principal in any training delivery for a "Game" should be that it can be done without enforcement, can be attempted in the wrong order and can be referenced quickly with overviews. This would be unlike what you would expect from anything in the real world.

The point of that is that people can then go at their own pace without limit... there are times when you want to just get up there fast. And times when you have energy for study.

Scenario: player smashes ahead because they are experienced. They get to a certain weapons delivery, know they need to review something and stop. From this point they will want various resources to be fast at hand, like a monkey-see-monkey-do video with voice over or a chapter from a manual with diagrams. If it can be worked into anything, a brief 30 second overview vid followed by the in depth. Overviews are excellent memory joggers.

I appreciate virtual squadrons role in training. But virtual squadrons are not the majority market base that is being sold to. There is a vast group of people that do not talk to anyone else about fight club.

Edited by Pikey
typos and bad wording

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Hi guys:

Rest assured VEAO has listened and taken your imput to heart, we always respect the community views. When ACTS makes it's appearance I think you will be pleased with the results. VEAO always takes time to insure that the best the team can do and reflects the dedication of the team to the Typhoon and ACTS program to be of the highest standards. VEAO thanks you for your input and if something additional comes to mind, by all means we would be glad to hear from you. VEAO is proud to see such community interest in our Programs.This means a lot to the Team. Cheers.

rattler

Thanks Pete.

Pikey, the main thing to think about here is to what level we develop ACTS.

Whilst some will want "game" level teaching, others will want full immersion "simulator" training.

Trying to come up with something Inbetween may be an option but I doubt it.

I'm thinking of creating two programmes, simple an advanced and am talking to the ACTS team about it.

This is still a great discussion guys and I appreciate your thoughts.

Chris.

Ells, fantastic idea! I love how it will be a programme delivered in person rather then AI. Some students, as you've witnessed need an hours tuition to do a loop correctly when others take 10 mins. Yes there are other factors at work in most cases like preparedness, prior knowledge and experience and the list goes on. But the fact is a RL tutor over an AI can recognise and advise, so good move.

I like the fact that you are looking into real life basic, advanced and combat training. This is something I feel the community does to its best and on the whole very well already, but like so many have said already, it has glaring holes, mistakes and areas which don't ring true in real life. Thats what most of us are here for, the realism and imersion. Otherwise we'd all be playing Ace Combat 6 on the xBox! ;) I'm all up for the advanced module over a basic and I'll be watching this space with massive intent! You have my support.

Sloth

"You get enough sleep when you're dead!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TM WH HOTAS, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5 Pro

Processor: i5 2.67Ghz

Board: Intel DP55WB

Video: Nvidia GTX650 Ti Boost

RAM: 8Gb DDR3 1333MHz

Not a big thing but in FSX if you pass PPL, Student pilot licence, CPL etc it gives the player the opportunity to print a certificate with their name on it. Not a difficult thing to do but passing a qualification that is worthwhile might add alot more if the players have this opportunity.:joystick:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Yep that is an option that you receive a certificate saying you've passed a certain "stage" of ACTS.

This is the flight training syllabus for The United Kingdom National Private Pilot Licence (Simple Single-engine Aeroplane) (SSEA)

FLIGHT TRAINING SYLLABUS

The flying training section of the NPPL (SSEA) course will be covered following the

various exercises as shown below. The exercise numbering corresponds to the exercises

conducted for the JAR-FCL PPL, but the depth of coverage and time spent on the

different exercises will be less than in the full 45 hour JAR-FCL PPL course. The

exercises, particularly those following first solo and consolidation on the circuit, will not

necessarily be given in the exact order as shown.

1. Familiarisation with the aeroplane

1E. Emergency drills

2. Preparation for and action after flight

3. Air experience

4. Effects of controls

5. Taxiing

6. Straight and level flight

7. Climbing

8. Descending

9. Medium turns

10A. Slow flight

10B. Stalling

11. Spin avoidance

12. Take-off and climb

13. Approach and landing

12/13E. Emergency procedures (as appropriate)

14. First solo

Consolidation of take-offs and landings including:

Crosswind take-off and landing

Short field take-off and landing, soft field procedures

Glide approaches, powered approaches

Flapless landings

14B. Circuit departure procedures, local area orientation,

RTF procedures, use of magnetic compass, map

reading, circuit rejoining.

15. Advanced turning

16 Forced landings without power

17. Precautionary landings

18A. Pilot navigation

18B. Navigation at lower levels

19. Instrument appreciation

Revision for the NPPL (SSEA) qualifying Navigation Skill Test and General Skill Test.

What about a fictional A:10 conversion course as a smaller training programme?

Dunno, so hard to hit two targets :)

Ells: correct me if I am wrong but ACTS will cover all. How you apply it to the different aircraft is up to you. ACTS should be generic and should be able to be used for any aircraft. ACTS incorporates more than just Combat flying but some ground school as well and phraseology etc. which is also quite necessary for RL emulation. You can't interact if you don't know what is being said and how to reply and also basic weather etc.

This Course will cover a lot of material that all should enjoy learning and understanding and in the end make their flight experience more enjoyable.Cheers.:thumbup::smartass:

rattler(pete)

Well the thing is Pikey you kind of need to un-learn some things you've learnt whilst flying DCS:A-10, not all but maybe some.

ACTS will be based on real life training programme with some reduced timescales to complete the course, so some things may be left out, or "slimmed" down.

To write a conversion course first assumes that the pilot has learnt the correct way. And for that will be very difficult to analyse.

ACTS will start at the beginning from ground school up. If you know certain things already, you should be able to make the change no matter what aircraft you are using. As an example HSI, VSI, Etc. will be very similar in the way they work. ACTS will teach you the principals of using these instruments. How you then use them after is up to you.

You don't actually get into the specific plane functions until much later on in the course, I.e. the last module. These would teach you the Typhoon functions as an example.

The Hawk and Talon will great to learn the basics and then I would suggest a course conversion for each jet "could" be made at later times. However the principals of each jet will be the same.

I haven't spoken to Spanky yet but he annouced Iris will be working on a similar programme for the Talon based on the USAF programme. Therefore we will focus on the RAF programme only.

As I've stated before there are some differences but the fundementals are the same.

And I'm sure we'll share a lot of info between us and try to align both programmes.

My team have already started to write course material and I'll post up some example docs soon.

Cheers,

Chris.

Dear All,

I'd like to introduce you to our main consultant and document writer for ACTS.

His name is Jonathan Duke, Lieutenant Royal Navy

He is a SAR pilot on 771NAS, RNAS Culdrose

Also he volunteers to fly Grob Tutor for the RAF (5 Air Experience Flight, RAF Wyton), and flys civilian aerobatics in an Extra 200.

Former RAF Air Traffic Controller, 2004-2007

RAF Fast-Jet trainee pilot, 2002-2004

700 hours mixed types, including

Firefly

Grob Tutor

Tucano T1

Hawk T1

Squirrel HT1

Griffin HT1 (Bell 412EP)

Sea King Mk 5

He is 29 and lives in Cornwall with his wife and Springer Spaniel!

As you can see Jon has a lot of experience and we are honoured to have him on the team writing content for ACTS and advising the best route to go down based on his experience.

The work he has done so far is outstanding and you guys are in for a real treat.

Based on Jon's experience we have narrowed down the ACTS training syllabus for the Hawk T.1A and this is an extract (subject to change):

VEAO ACTS SYLLABUS – BASIC FLYING TRAINING, HAWK T1A

Subject types:

Performance, planning & briefing

RT & Air Traffic Control

Basic Control & Technique:

EoC

Elevator, Aileron, Rudder, Throttle, Flap

Lookout, LAI, LOI, PAT/APT, PAAT

C, D, T

Take-Off

General Handling (To include day and night):

Stalling

Circuits

Spinning

Aeros

PFLs/RPFLs

Navigation:

Planning, minima and regulation, nav geometry, navaid theory, MDR

VFR Med Lev

Clock-Map-Ground, Big-Small, Max Drift, Std Closing Angle, 1:60

VFR Low Lev

Vert ext, MSD, weather avoid, tac avoid, abort, lost proc

IFR

Navaids, fixing, CAS, P-P

Instrument Flying:

Selective radial scan, services, approaches, met, minima & regulation

IFTO

UAs

Mals

TACAN/Radar PFLs

Part Panel

Approaches

Formation:

Briefing, phraseology, responsibilities, references, positions

Form/Stream

Echelon, Trail, Vic, FW, Tac

Vis/Radar Break/Rejoin

Turning join

VRIAB

HEFOM

Leading

EOC Cx: Form lead LL tac nav to strike x2 tgt, LL abort, PD w split for app, o’shoot to ML nav P-P, GH & aeros, solo LL nav to bingo/chicken & mals

SYLLABUS CONTENT AND COURSE STRUCTURE

Serial Description Duration

1 Basic effects of controls and circuits 1:30

2 Circuit consolidation, Visual UAs 1:00

3 Spinning and Aerobatics 1:00

4 GH Check 1:30

5 Instrument Flying Intro (RVA) 1:00

6 IFTO, UAs, TACAN PFL 1:00

7 IF PD, CAS, ILS 1:00

8 Malfunctions, Partial Panel (ILS) 1:00

9 IF Check 1:30

10 Night famil, circuits 1:00

11 Night malfunctions 1:00

12 Medium Level VFR Nav 1:00

13 Low Level Intro 1:00

14 Mixed Profile VFR Nav 1:00

15 IFR Nav 1:00

16 Hi-Lo Nav 1:00

17 Final Nav Test (inc IF & Mals) 1:30

18 Formation intro, formations and joins 1:00

19 Adv Formation, IF split and approaches 1:00

20 Formation lead, fighting wing 1:00

21 Mixed profile (Nav, IF, GH, Form) 1:00

22 Mixed profile 2 (Form, IF, PD, GH, Nav) 1:00

23 End of Course Check 2:00

TOTAL 26:00

SORTIE 1 – BASIC EFFECTS OF CONTROLS AND CIRCUITS (1:30 approx)

Prerequisites:

Flying: Nil

Ground Briefings: CCGS; Perf, Planning and Briefing, Effects of Controls, CTD, Circuits, the airmanship cycle, checks

Situation:

FL150

20nm SE of airfield

W/V 260/10, CAVOK

Modules:

Straight and Level – visual attitude technique

Correct turn entry for 30*, 45*, 60* turns

Lookout Attitude Instruments maintenance work cycle

Rollout, dead wing check

Routine Airmanship Cycle (FOEEL checks)

Correct climb entry; power attitude trim

Full power checks

Correct level off; attitude, airspeed, (progressively adjust attitude & trim) power

Top of climb checks

Pre descent checks (FIRAC)

Correct descent entry; power, attitude, airspeed, trim

Correct level off; attitude, power, trim

HASELL checks

S&L stall

Final approach stall

Final turn stall

Standard circuit join

Landing

Edited by Ells228