Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

All I can do is watch youtube videos with my DK2 of people playing dcs.

Looks amazing, please fix this amd problem.

I can empathize. My R9 290X wont play nice with DCS and it's killing me as I was a DK1 early adopter too. Had to run it up to try the Sabre, but it's totally a beer goggles experience going back to the low rez.

Patience, give me patience.

:helpsmilie:

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you press switched using Oculus Rift?

I just setup the A10C, with the Oculus DevKit 2 and it really feels amazing. However, I cannot click on any of the switches in the cockpit while I'm in the Rift. Can someone tell me if there is a way around this or will it be fixed in a patch? I really hope they carry on supporting Oculus Rift, it just feesl like your flying a huge plane and it's giving this Sim rave reviews on DevKit 2 forums. They just need to up the Res abit more and it will be hard to drag me out of this Sim.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to put this in, but I cannot find the Oculus one.

You have to check your settings, what key combo switches between mouse view and mouse interact.

It will work.

Albeit a yellow cross indicates, you are already in mouse interact mode. Make sure you chose some vehicle with clickable cockpit.

Make the Rift Unit the Primary Screen,

The Mouse Clicks dont register w/ Rift as the secondary/extended screen.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Ill give this a try when I get home but doesn't setting the Rift screen as primary make things impossible to see? What if I cannot get out of that screen will it mess my computer up?

Also, is there anything in the DCS options I need to turn on because I don't see anything that relates to Oculus Rift. Thanks!

Edited by Dudester22

Rift doesn't have high enough resolution yet for flight sim's.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Rift doesn't have high enough resolution yet for flight sim's.

Correction, Rift doesn't have high enough resolution yet for high fidelity flight simulations.

Rift works fine in free flight and in games that dont require you to read gauges.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Yep the Rifts resolution is good enough at the moment, the sense of scale is immense. The F-15 feels so incredible when sat in the cockpit!

Only issue I'm having is low frame rates and judder. Hopefully this is due to the buggy SDK 'kill service' work around people have to use to play on the DK2. If those bugs are sorted out it will be simply incredible!

Yep the Rifts resolution is good enough at the moment, the sense of scale is immense. The F-15 feels so incredible when sat in the cockpit!

Only issue I'm having is low frame rates and judder. Hopefully this is due to the buggy SDK 'kill service' work around people have to use to play on the DK2. If those bugs are sorted out it will be simply incredible!

The lenses make it that they are not so close to the screen. Doesn't give me headache or sickness, but everyone is different. I hope they implement it better then it is at the moment thought because it's a right pain in the ass setting it up.

Guys, make sure you're not running DCS in full screen mode when using rift, tick the windows mode tick box in options. Then you should be able to interact no problems.

At least that is what worked for me.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Sorry mate, but they do. I'm currently running my Rift as a secondary / extended screen monitor, with no issues whatsoever.

Main monitor displays, all the main UI, maps options etc. Click on fly and it switches over to the rift. So I only need the rift while flying. If you run DCS in the windows mode as above, you can also interact with the switches with no issues. I do full cold and dark starts only while using the rift.

How I setup my rift.

n display control windows, set up as extended flipped, NOT as primary monitor,

In dcs detect rift is ticked, full screen mode is unticked.

Had the same issue with the mouse not working with my tri setup few years ago, think it's to do with running dcs in full or window mode.

It needs to run in windows mode.

Cowboy10uk

Edited by Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

So has anyone gotten DK2 working with an AMD card yet or do we have to wait for Edge?

You don't loose much, rez is still not good enough, too much shimmering in the cockpits, even with heavy AA, because bunch of the geometry in DCS cockpits is just subpixel size in DK2.

But even if you don't care about rez. In-cockpit shadows are not rendering correctly in DCS under Rift as well, and without them shimmering become even more apparent.

Plus lots of pain making it work even with GeForce now.

I will personally wait for proper Direct-To-Rift implementation, and this will be most likely in new version, so together with Edge.

Edited by Mnemonic

Had the same issue with the mouse not working with my tri setup few years ago, think it's to do with running dcs in full or window mode.

It needs to run in windows mode.

Cowboy10uk

Windowed Mode is the reason.

In Full Screen Mode, the Main Display Runs in "Exclusive Mode",

Anything outside of the primary screen is not registered, Clicks, Screenshots, etc.

In Windowed Mode, All Displays are managed by both DirectX and Explorer Process.

Performance Changes depending on Resolution, Scaling (How big/small you make the window) and Multi-GPU Support,

Clicks and input from Extended/Secondary Displays are Supported.

Border-less Windowed Mode, is basically The same visually as Full Screen Mode,

But still allows clicking outside of the main screens (extended, etc) when running applications.

But also carries the XFire/SLi Limitations

So For me, when DCS Goes DX11 I wont be running windowed mode anymore,

So I'll be waving goodbye to Helios for A-10C as well, (I only Use it for A-10C Anyway).

Because I'd rather use all my GPUs and have a locked 60FPS on 3 Screens or 75FPS in Rift,

Than Run Windowed Mode and have my performance limited to a single GPU.

Then Again, DX11 Should have Multi-GPU Support for Borderless Windowed Mode.

Regardless, Windowed Mode vs Fullscreen is the reason for the Input issues on Extended displays.

Edited by SkateZilla

You don't loose much, rez is still not good enough, too much shimmering in the cockpits, even with heavy AA, because bunch of the geometry in DCS cockpits is just subpixel size in DK2.

But even if you don't care about rez. In-cockpit shadows are not rendering correctly in DCS under Rift as well, and without them shimmering become even more apparent.

Plus lots of pain making it work even with GeForce now.

I will personally wait for proper Direct-To-Rift implementation, and this will be most likely in new version, so together with Edge.

Bummer, got my processing notice today. Hopefully EDGE is really around the corner!

I cannot get the Rift to work in Multiplayer, is this because it's not implemented yet? If it is supposed to work then how do I get it to run? I can get it to run in single player just fine. When I click on Multiplayer exe it just ends up with nothing in the rift or on the PC, it's like the game never started apart from a brief screen.