Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why no reply from ED yet?

Hopefully it is to do with the current immaturity of the Rift, rather than Eagle not being interested. I do hope so anyway...

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

ED are a small company with limited resources. Before they pump some time into making DCS work correctly with the rift they'll want to see it being a commercial success first. I'm pretty sure they've got their hands full with the F-18C, FW190, Edge, etc. and until the rift takes off with a set that can properly display the world I think they're better off not devoting resources to developing support for it.

Implementing the rift, requires around 10 working hours from a single coder, you don't really have to "dump" anything. It gives to the game a major boost under how it is perceived outside of the hardcore simmers world (anything "touched" by the Rift is acquiring immediate interest from ppl that never heard about that such title before). And, finally, the dev kits have the purpose of offering the developers a device to test and implement this technology (nor that you have to wait t he 2014 when it will hits the mass; but the opposite: when the product goes retail you are already supporting it). To resume: there isn't a single downside to not implement the Rift today, nor a justification, that's why i'm asking the reason of why none (apparently) of the coders is looking into it. So i'm asking for the official reply from ED, rather that users speculations.

Npole, I agree and you have a strong argument! I keep hearing how ED wants to grow and build new customers with the water-down versions of DCS models (War thunder types), but all they have to do is integrate the rift...

Sign me up for the Rift formation flight! Mine is in processing state, will get it when the next batch ships.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I've downloaded the Oculus Rift SDK and tried to create a version of headtracker.dll that works with the Rift sensor.

I don't have the Rift, so I can't test it.

If you'd wish to try, place the attached headtracker.dll in bin\headtracker and launch a mission to see what happens.

Also I attach the source so it can be further polished if it happens to work. For example, there is no drift correction for the yaw angle with the integrated magnetometer of the rift's sensor, which is awful for simulators (front view will drift over time). So, it's mandatory to add it.

Also, a mix of rift's sensor data and freetrack data could be done to add translation and to have an absolute reference for yaw, making drift correction very easy.

EDIT: Finally I have my Rift and could tune it up. It seems to be working fine now.

EDIT2: I've modified the readme. The dll now goes on the 'bin' folder

riftHT4DCS.zip

Edited by average_pilot

1080p rift is here... this will be very usable with DCS! I hope ED is paying attention....

Even without that news coming so soon, it is becoming quite apparent that by the time the Rift hits the shelf in Best Buy it is going to be a very viable gaming display.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

This may be of ED's interest (or not)

Integrating the Oculus Rift into Unreal Engine 4

From the article:

"Oculus integration is surprisingly simple for how cool the result is"

"The Oculus SDK helps you to obtain all the measurements needed to calculate these [projection matrices], so in our Rift-specific stereoscopic view implementation, we simply read the configuration from the device, and return the calculated values"

Edited by average_pilot

Outerra has now full Oculus Rift support.

Also, have you seen this?

MYO

oWu9TFJjHaM

great things are comming :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

From official press release "The prototype’s 1080p display increases the number of visible pixels by more than 2x, greatly reducing the screen-door effect seen in the development kit."

Greatly-reducing is not elliminating, I wouldn't hold my breath.

But nevertheless I'm looking forward! :)

They are not sure they will give 1080p for developers, but if they do I will be in the line.

P.S.

800vs1080.jpg

Image is better, but not that drastically different

I've imagined DCS but with Outerra (whole world) scenery... I could sit there and fly for a week without sleeping or eating before passing out...

With current devkit I doubt, you will be tired very soon, and would like to take it off much earlier

Edited by Mnemonic

There ya go, closeups of the current and the HD display next to each other. :thumbup:

(At 2:45)

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I feel like this is going to be one heck of a sham. I dunno... just kinda feel like something is off with this, I think it might be over hyped and people will be disappointed. I would love to be wrong tho.

Take a look at our in-depth DCS A10C tutorials

If you want to participate in these tutorial sessions, please send me a PM and I can get you setup! :)

TUTORIALS TO RETURN "VERY SOON"

I feel like this is going to be one heck of a sham. I dunno... just kinda feel like something is off with this, I think it might be over hyped and people will be disappointed. I would love to be wrong tho.

Yep, your wrong!

Do you have one? Until you have tried it, and remember that the unit is still in development, that is a judgement you cannot objectively make.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Everyone who tries one is absolutely blown away by the thing, even the hardest of skeptics.

Everyone who tries one is absolutely blown away by the thing, even the hardest of skeptics.

Not only this.. but any big (last one was Sony with the PS4) is looking at it.. in other words the device is already "marked" as a mass-sale piece of hardware before it even hits the stores.

While on this forum we're still thinking if support it or not.. and we didn't received any official reply so far. What a shame.