Military and Aviation News Thread (NO DISCUSSION)

topol-m

Ok, I'm wrong ( no expert, definitely) it is the data link feed guiding the missile, mixed that up, but I understood METEOR ( with Typhoon and Gripen) is the first dual-link missile. As you said the missile can get updates during flight, I understood even change targets through the 2-way link. Now as the data link is a "picture" generated, updated and shared by all aircraft on the same net, the wingmen can use their radar to update target information well out of engagememt range of the enemy aircraft, and relay the target data to the METEOR through the data link...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

...I can't find the video about that EF2000, showing that capability. Ok, I guess it won't be already implemented, as the METEOR suffered considerable delays, but current schedule is "until" 2017, as far as I've read.

Still I'm quite shure other aircraft and updated missile will quickly implement similar features.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

M-Link and the data-link that's fed to the aircraft are not the same thing.

So, maybe newest missiles can use a proper data-link, I don't know. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I guess they just use the data-link feed for updated picture and the M-link to update the missile course... At least that would make sense.

Anyway, with the current estimates of NEZ for the METEOR of more than 3 times higher than "normal" missiles, it is an impressive stand off weapon... more like a cruise missile on steroids against air targets. :D

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

No ... nothing like that at all for the 120 or the Meteor.

Typhoons have used an AIM-120C5 with 3rd party designation if that's what we're talking about. The firing aircraft has remained passive throughout.

http://ukarmedforcescommentary.blogspot.co.uk/p/eurofighter-typhoon.html

Here's a more official link:

http://www.eurofighter.com/news-and-events/2009/04/unique-amraam-firing-with-eurofighter-typhoon

News | Apr 1, 2009

Yesterday we saw the success of a unique AMRAAM firing trial at Moron Air base in Southern Spain. The trial was the result of close cooperation between the Spanish and British Flight Test Centres of EADS CASA and BAE Systems, under guidance of Eurofighter GmbH, using Eurofighter Typhoons IPA4 and IPA5 - Spanish and British aircraft respectively.

The objective of the testing was to fire the AMRAAM missile from a Eurofighter Typhoon whilst its radar was in passive mode and thus “invisible” for Electronic Support Measures (ESM) Systems. The necessary target data for the missile was acquired by the radar of a second Eurofighter Typhoon and transmitted using the Multi Functional Information Distribution System (MIDS). Both aircraft were separated by quite a distance in range.

This scenario is especially relevant for Eurofighter Typhoon’s Beyond Visual Range (BVR) air combat capability against high level threats, including Low Observable aircraft.

Spain’s IPA4 led the trial as the “firer”, while IPA5 as the “cooperator” illuminated the target with its radar active. This trial is the first known testing of its kind and is the first missile firing that Spain has participated in as part of the Eurofighter Typhoon programme, building on their previous flight test work which includes Meteor environmental testing and air-to-ground weapon trials.

The complex test was meticulously planned over several months and involved a large team of experts from across all partner nations as well as the US, who provided support for the exercise. The trial took place at a closed range in Southern Spain using a Mirach drone.

The 2-way link on the Meteors will also tell the launch party when the seeker has acquired the target and is self-guiding. Not sure whether it's the same for AMRAAMs.

Edited by Emu

I actually think the Gripen E cockpit looks better, especially the HUD. Maybe it's just the photos.

I have to say that the standard three displays look a lot better than the WAD option. But maybe it´s just because its still in photoshop.

[sIGPIC]sigpic70266_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

Snooze-81st-vFS

A tragic event not far from where I live today. A brand new SkyLeader 600 crashed during an opening ceremony for a new private airport. The airport owner who flew it and one passenger were killed.

The crash was captured on video that can be found here.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

A tragic event not far from where I live today. A brand new SkyLeader 600 crashed during an opening ceremony for a new private airport. The airport owner who flew it and one passenger were killed.

The crash was captured on video that can be found here.

RIP :(

What happened? In the video it looks like a steady climb until full right rudder kicks in, causing the plane to plummet to the ground from too low an altitude to recover. Pilot error or malfunction? :confused:

Or was it climbing too steeply all along, not gaining enough airspeed?

According to the BBC Bulgaria was to buy Eurofighters from Portugal.

Source:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29593405

:huh: :hehe:

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

69664_1413361555.jpg

IAF fighter jet Su-30MKI crashes near Pune

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/iaf-fighter-jet-su30mki-crashes-near-pune/506110-3-237.html

oopsy..glad that both pilots ejected safely

Woah, surreal picture.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

According to the BBC IS are using iraqi pilots to train some of them to fly captured jet fighters including MIG21's. Wonder how long their newly formed airforce lasts:lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29660029

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]