How to find SAMs?

metro97

Hello DCS,

I just recently bought A-10C and I really enjoy it. The only problem I have is, like many other beginners here (yes, I searched for similar threads), I can't find all targets. I can work with JTACs, but I'd like to try it once without one.

The main question: SAMs are displayed on the ALR. Is there a way to set the SPI to a SAM so I can target them with my Maverick / TGP?

Thank you!

The main question: SAMs are displayed on the ALR. Is there a way to set the SPI to a SAM so I can target them with my Maverick / TGP

No, you have to locate them first with the TGP or visually.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Here's a vid you may find interesting.

:thumbup: Excellent! This is how you transform the A-10 into a submarine!

Thx for share and thx to whom made the video.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

The Video would be a hell if a lot more helpful if they told you what the heck they were doing. :doh:

You`ll undersand later..;)

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

The Video would be a hell if a lot more helpful if they told you what the heck they were doing. :doh:

Read the description and watch the video carefully. It's easily understandable.

edit:

I find this really interesting, but until I'm done with all of it the SAM will take me down. I gonna try it anyway, thanks ! :)

Stay outside the lethal range :D

Edited by secret1962

­­­­­­

Spotting targets is something that will get better over time. A few things that will help are:

1. Altitude: Take some time and get some altitude before entering the enemy territory. If the enemy position is 40 miles north from the runway, try turning south, and climbing 8-10k with flaps in position 1 before turning north. Then turn north with a 5 degree climb so that you are 16k plus when you get to weps range. This allows the TGP to start up and gives you more time to search the target area. Higher altitude also allows you to see more area.

2. Throttle slew control. Make sure you have it set so that it moves quickly. If you have the warthog stick, adjust the saturation until you get results that work for you. The faster you can scan the faster you can locate targets.

3. Boat switch. Try using the TGP cold setting. (dark screen) The picure isn't as pretty but when you have the dark screen it's much easier to find targets which will show up as white specks. I like to switch back and forth but lately tend to use the dark mode to find the targets, then switch back to get a better identity of what I found.

4. Target identification: Use the encyclopedia in program to learn the shapes of each target. At first it's satisfying to kill the first thing you find, but if you want to use those cbu's or gbu's, you first have to eliminate the AA threat. Take your time and pick off the AA threats, then work on the easy stuff.

5. More in/out/left/right. When starting out people tend to look at a small area around the waypoint. Expand your search area some and include areas around roads, bridges or anywhere you would think to hide them.

6. Dont attack target areas until the previous one is destroyed: Some think they will run ahead and get the easy stuff before the previous area is finished. Here's the little secret. Missions use a thing called triggers. In order to get the maps to run smoothe mission makers use the triggers to hide contacts so that everything isn't showing the same time. This makes the game run much better but also keeps the objectives in order.

What does it mean? Simple, the targets at WP2 will often not be there if you go looking until all the targets are destroyed at wp1. The ones at WP3 won't be there until WP2 are destroyed. Now each mission will have different setups. Just take the time and read the briefing before starting. The triggers are often noted there. (wont be called triggers but objectives)

Once you remove the AA threats, keep your altitude. Manpads can pop up any time. Let the other players zip around low to find the remaining threats before going low yourself.

Last is to remember once you finish off the targets in a waypoint area, take your time to climb again before hitting the next area. Many make the mistake of forgetting this. They take the time to eliminate AA in the first area, go low to finish off tanks etc and then race to the second area which is fresh with new AA.

Happy flying :pilotfly:

Edited by Hamblue

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

The text accompanying the video does a fair job of explaining what's going on. If you missed it and only watched the video you might go back and take another look...

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

Here's a vid you may find interesting.

i had a theory like this, now i can see it put well into practice, nice find:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Call Sign: Pork Chop.

intel I5 4670K @ 3.4GHz - GALAXY GTX 670 2GB @ 1080P - 16GB ( 2X8 ) Corsair DDR3 1600MHz - ASUS VG248QE 1080p

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO Mother Board - Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB(game/boot) - WD 640GB HDD 6.0GB/s - 750w Corsair Power Supply

:yes:Trackir 5 w/ Tclip Pro - :joystick:TM HOTAS Warthog - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech G700s Mouse (edit:May19/14) http://wiki.benargee.com/

Find SAMs? You don't have to find them. Just get close enough, and they'll find YOU.

:megalol:

Yes, yes, I know: gloves, hat, coat, shoes... and out.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Being the guy who made that video, I added a note that diverts some attention to the video description. If you still have questions, you're welcome to ask in the video comments (or the thread on EDs, I can't find that right now).

Super-

Thank you for that very informative video. I've been shot out of the sky three times trying it but I did finally get a kill.

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Read the description and watch the video carefully. It's easily understandable.

edit:

Stay outside the lethal range :D

Wtf read? Lol its YouTube Talk! Lol I always forget to read descriptions on youtube. :doh:

I'll check it out again

Being the guy who made that video, I added a note that diverts some attention to the video description. If you still have questions, you're welcome to ask in the video comments (or the thread on EDs, I can't find that right now).

Super-

Thanks I'm going to rewatch and read this time. I promise. I like the idea of finding them without having to dodge their missiles first. Because I haven't figured out how to miss running into those missile things:smartass::joystick:

Stay about 15nm from target area. Search REALLY well with tgp until you find one closest to you (really. fired on one that I thought was closest. overflew another I missed and got shot down). Fly straight at it, try to get a Mav lock as quickly as possible, fire and turn as quickly as possible, activating ECM/chaff/flares as needed. If you're lucky, they won't fire. Sometime they'll fire but after turning away, you lose the missle. Sometimes, you just go down.

Super-

Thanks a lot for doing this video and thanks to all who replied to this thread!

- Mike

Thats fine but very often, especially in multiplayer there isn't sead available so you have to dio it yourself.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Thats fine but very often, especially in multiplayer there isn't sead available so you have to dio it yourself.

Yep, I really hate when there's a shedload of sams in MP cause I know they will be nobody (or the mission maker has to be good) to help us. Well as said previously, they find me more often than I find us... :cry:

Missile avoidance is the key.

or ejection

or good skills to bring what's left of the aircraft to home... :lol:

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

Guest Izoul123

If in MP, have the SU25's take them out. If no one is flying the SU25's, then you better learn how to fly one and get in one yourself and do the job. I learned this the hard way after dying many many times on servers, and then I just finally gave into learning the SU25, simply for the KH58 missile. They are far superior at SEAD and have much better stand off range that the A10 for SEAD. The KH58 Anti Radar missile has a range of 70km, or 43.5miles, which as you know kicks ass compared to the Mavericks on the A10. Not to mention the fact the SAMS show up nicely on the SU25's HUD for extremely easy point/click/fire. After the nastier SAMs are dead, then land, then select your A10 and have fun wiping out the rest of the targets.

If not, and you must attempt with the A10 with no JTAC, watch your RWR, and make sure they don't enter the 'inside circle'. From this point it is a lot of hunting with the TGP (assuming no JTAC). I also like using 'white hot' mode as they stand out better. If really ballsy, you can steer towards the SAM via your RWR, and 'hunt' for it with your HUD, watch/listen for MSL fire warning, quickly slew via HUD to smoke trail approx start, make it SPI, engage defensive to missile that's coming to kill you. Assuming you didn't die, now you can either decide, depending on what type of SAM, if you can even get close enough to kill (but honestly you should already know based on RWR indicator), or if you want to try to NOE to it and kill that way.

Also, be sure to make sure altitude is correct for stand off range. But some of the SAMs you will need to either have SU25's kill, or you will have to use NOE flying and try to take them out...not as easy as it sounds, but doable simply because the A10 will never be able to achieve stand-off altitude/nor have weapons to get close enough without playing a very suicidal game of chicken with the SAMS.

Also depends on the mission. Some missions it's just like anything else, you just learn them, learn the triggers, and you will know where to look. Honestly most 'good' missions will give you JTAC after certain triggers are met, so it should not be hard at all then, or the mission will be built to have either proper AI SEAD, or SU25's will be on the deck for you to fly and fix the problem.

Good luck!

PS: Someone made a nice chart on here once, print that out. But in mean time, you can jot these 4 down on post it note and tape to your monitor. The better you understand those RWR codes, the better you'll understand how far off they can 'hit you'.

The 4 bastards to the A10:

RWR 3: Range 19 nm, Max alt 59000 ft

RWR 6: Range 13 nm, Max alt 46000 ft

RWR 10: Range 25 nm, Max alt 98425 ft

RWR 11: Range 17 nm, Max alt 72178 ft

As you can see, the above 4 are certainly a problem for the A10. Better off using Su25 with KH58 Anti Rad missile for better/safer standoff honestly. That's just me. You could try NOE, but then you have problems like AAA, manpads, etc.

Now the others below, are just a matter of being above their engagement ceiling:

RWR 8: Range 5.4 nm, Max alt 16400 ft

RWR 15: Range 6.5 nm, Max alt 19685 ft

RWR S6: Range 4.3 nm Max alt 19685 ft

The last above 3 you can certainly take out from angels 22+ with many types of weapons on your A10 quite safely.

Hope that helps better.

Edited by Izoul123

Real life doctrine (I'm no hog pilot) from the stories I read, dictate initial SEAD strikes. Hogs should be cleared in only when SAMs have been suppressed. A lot of radio calls like "magnum" saved lives when SAM radars came to life, the mere word caused emissions to go off.

however, since we lack proper SEAD/DEAD dedicated crafts in DCS so far, the closest thing would be to either remove those SAM units, or activate a trigger for destruction ( probably long before you're near them). I tend to use the former.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Sometimes mobile SAM units like the SA-6 pop up out of nowhere and are hard for the SEAD jets to strike. Take a look at Viper Pilot. It's a good book about F-16 Wild Weaseling and there was a chapter where some A-10s were doing some work in a city while the author was in his Viper doing some SEAD, and there was no shortage of targets. The A-10s had to get out of dodge for a few minutes.