F-18 grip, WARTHOG compatible

We are in Season 3, you need to go "On Demand" over the weekend and watch all the episodes to get caught up. I hope it doesn't end like the series of "Lost",,, horrible ending!

Edited by Fakum
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't read the entire thread but has OP mentioned or considered if he needs permission from Lockheed Martin and / or Boeing to actually make these replicas?

I only ask because I have made direct contact with Bugeye and Aerotronicsllc to see if it was possible to buy the aluminium castings for the grip and throttle bodies so I could do exactly what OP wants to do ... they just laughed. They're under strict legislative controls to make their HOTAS products and they can't sell to the general public unless the buyer has gone through all necessary hoops to gain permission from the rights holder (i.e. Boeing and Lockheed Martin etc.) and the US government to obtain them. Even scrap items from the production line are recycled or destroyed.

A lot of these products are governed under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) so I don't know exactly what "homework" the OP has done but I don't think it's going to be that easy.

I mean - if DCS themselves, or any third party developer, make an aircraft module they need permission from the manufacturer to actually build and sell it.

• Like 2

Ryzen 9 3900X @4.6Ghz | ASUS STRIX ROG 570-F Gaming | 32GB HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3AK2-16 DDR4-3200 | Corsair Force MP600 1TB (OS and Games) | MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio | HP Reverb G2

I haven't read the entire thread but has OP mentioned or considered if he needs permission from Lockheed Martin and / or Boeing to actually make these replicas?

I only ask because I have made direct contact with Bugeye and Aerotronicsllc to see if it was possible to buy the aluminium castings for the grip and throttle bodies so I could do exactly what OP wants to do ... they just laughed. They're under strict legislative controls to make their HOTAS products and they can't sell to the general public unless the buyer has gone through all necessary hoops to gain permission from the rights holder (i.e. Boeing and Lockheed Martin etc.) and the US government to obtain them. Even scrap items from the production line are recycled or destroyed.

A lot of these products are governed under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) so I don't know exactly what "homework" the OP has done but I don't think it's going to be that easy.

I mean - if DCS themselves, or any third party developer, make an aircraft module they need permission from the manufacturer to actually build and sell it.

I think it depends on how closely you make it to the original. If it's just based on the actual planes and not a 1:1 replica, and as well as not using offical brands and logos then I doubt any of that legal stuff applies. (I doubt Thrustmaster did any of that with the cougar or warthog, and I doubt CH did it with their Fighter Stick)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

I think it depends on how closely you make it to the original. If it's just based on the actual planes and not a 1:1 replica, and as well as not using offical brands and logos then I doubt any of that legal stuff applies. (I doubt Thrustmaster did any of that with the cougar or warthog, and I doubt CH did it with their Fighter Stick)

CH wouldn't have a problem because their designs are unique and their own.

With Thrustmatser they do acquire licences to make to their products and they do have a current licence with the U.S. Air Force.

Ryzen 9 3900X @4.6Ghz | ASUS STRIX ROG 570-F Gaming | 32GB HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3AK2-16 DDR4-3200 | Corsair Force MP600 1TB (OS and Games) | MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio | HP Reverb G2

That's what I mean, you only have to make a few small changes and it becomes a "unique design". The CH stick is more or less the same as an F-16 / A-10C stick, but they've changed it enough, and they aren't selling it as an official replica so the licensing isn't required.

From what I understand, the warthog throttle is only licensed for marketing purposes. It looks more credible for customers to by buying something with the US Air Force logo and branding on it - which is different to being licensed for production by the manufacturer because your using their blueprints 1:1

I'm fairly certain this will go down the same round as CH.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Yeah that will work, I just hope OP gets somewhere with this because there is a market for it.

I'm glad people are finally starting to make use of 3d printing. If licensing becomes an issue as some have said, it's simple enough to switch to semi generic designs. End result =/= the same. Lookimg forward to your progress, sir =)

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I think a lot of the angst contained in this thread is due to the fact that what started out as just a couple of different handles for the X55/Warthog has now gone off on a massive tangent with the OP now designing whole cockpit panels and god knows what.

It is almost as if he has lost his original focus and is trying to diversify without actually producing anything.

I would like to see him stop prototyping and just concentrate on one thing. if he had just concentrated on the handles i'm sure he would have something tangable by now if already in production which in turn would fund any further protoyping.

Anyway thats my tuppence worth :)

I am still hoping to get my hands on an X55 extension and maby a few different handles for it. Cockpit panels and such are well out of my remit.

SD

Edited by the_soupdragon
spelling

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]

Maybe Hegykc wants to give everyone a X'Mas surprise...

Or maybe a new year one...

I am eagerly waiting for at least the HeadTracker for now...

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

No Doubt!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Maybe Hegykc wants to give everyone a X'Mas surprise...

Or maybe a new year one...

I am eagerly waiting for at least the HeadTracker for now...

Wasn't the head tracker supposed to be last year's Christmas and New Years suprize?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Wasn't the head tracker supposed to be last year's Christmas and New Years suprize?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

No idea... No year was mentioned

I was hoping that the least he could do was provide timely updates...

Anyways to each his own...

I need to forget about this and gift myself a TrackIR this Xmas...

Life is short you know...

Edited by Nash

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie: