Any chance we will see bigger explosions?

Dudester22

I was just wondering if we are going to see bigger explosions in the game? The ones that are in the game don't look very impressive at the moment. I mean, it's a small fire a bit of smoke and then it all disappears like nothing ever happened.

They just made them bigger. (Or at least more dusty looking). To be honest, it's probably best that they optimise some of the issues they're having with some effects before introducing new ones (assuming the same teams/individuals work on these two issues)

Making the explosions bigger will probably have to wait until graphics card standards are a little higher.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Currently, THIS DCS with THIS engine we are playing will only get worse from now on.

Wait for the new engine that will come with Nevada. Everyone will make a push for map making there as it will allow for more and better things. This 32 bit system just wont handle it right now...

Currently, THIS DCS with THIS engine we are playing will only get worse from now on.

Wait for the new engine that will come with Nevada. Everyone will make a push for map making there as it will allow for more and better things. This 32 bit system just wont handle it right now...

Surely you don't refer to the

Eternally

Delayed

Gratification

Experiment

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

I was just wondering if we are going to see bigger explosions in the game? The ones that are in the game don't look very impressive at the moment. I mean, it's a small fire a bit of smoke and then it all disappears like nothing ever happened.

While I do agree the results of an impact is not too impressive, the real explosion of an AGM is not actually that big...

EDGE is a terrain engine. AFAIK it has nothing to do with particle effects.

My understanding is that the "GE" in EDGE is actually Graphics Engine, and not limited to terrain. Happy to be shown incorrect.

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

About beating a dead horse...

...I have this evil thought, that there is this same guy who does the explosions work, and he is there from Lockon times and he's a too good friend of the ED management to get fired... :music_whistling:

Life taught me to just imagine the worst case scenario and it happens to be true, most of the times... :D

I love to call him "the bitmap smoke guy"...

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

While I do agree the results of an impact is not too impressive, the real explosion of an AGM is not actually that big...

sure the explosion of a maverick is pretty small (150lbs of explosives) but a mk82 or 84 is significantly larger. To me, they aren't different at all in terms of the effect.

One thing that I would like to see is splash damage.... a lot of splash damage

right now since you need direct or almost direct hits, unguided bombs can be pretty useless.

I would like to see more secondaries, and cook offs from tanks and ammo storage facilities..:thumbup::joystick:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

What if I told you... That real life explosions are nowhere near as impressive as in transformers3. (End Morpheus voice)

I have to admit I don't have a lot of first hand experience on this. The biggest thing I fired during my time in the Army was a 66mm rocket launcher. What I can tell you though, is that the explosion was far less impressive than expected, and much, much louder than expected.

Generally speaking, you won't often see the huge fireballs you see in the movies. I actually think the explosions in DCS are just about right. Though I find the dust far too black.

Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQiR232GEqI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTaWjU9JFcc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2AVyPjhN8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I wouldn't mind the game looking something like this without any fps drops :)

That looks awesome. Looks like we need more dust rather than bigger explosions!

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I think I'd like more subtle explosions really. Mostly for aircraft though, ground stuff seems OK.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I think one of the main issues is a lack of debris - most of the explosions seem very sterile.

Here is a shot from a recent Norwegian missile test. The warhead was 125kg.

2nqqxxs.jpg

Full clip: http://www.dbtv.no/?vid=2435279307001

Fireballs are not an exclusively 'Hollywood" phenomenon - they occur regularly with larger explosions (500lb bombs and greater), and are particularly visible when a hard target is hit, as there is less obscuring dust. In this case, the fireball was visible for 4-5 seconds in broad daylight.

dbkv2f.jpg

Notice how hazardous the airspace surrounding the ship has become. Any aircraft flying within a few hundred metres of the impact would likely be hit by fragments of steel, or even large pieces of the target. This is a factor that is completely absent in DCS World.

Making the explosions bigger will probably have to wait until graphics card standards are a little higher.

L.O.L

That very biggest explosion in DCS uses about about 0.00001% of the processing power of the graphics card your dad played Pong on.

ED are just bewilderingly, almost supernaturally bad at making particle effects.

L.O.L

ED are just bewilderingly, almost supernaturally bad at making particle effects.

Anyone know how many/few Lod's are used?

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup: