DCS F-35A

Wags

Hi Sharpe - Yes the F-35 will drop into DCS World. Standalone means, for those not familiar with DCS, that it does not require any additional purchase. Please note that I have opened a Q & A on the DCS F35 Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DCSF35

Hi,

do you have a media link outside of Facebook (youtube) ?

Please post - and if not - I think you should create it ,

as some mid 30ies-40ies (like me) are a little sceptic to click each facebook-link that they get presented - and it would also allow everyone easily to repost your nice video-presentation of your project-goals in other forums to support you.

..and It would help also to clarify some 'questions' of some posters in this thread.

:) I hope my post is obsolete and you are right now preparing something like this already...

Edited by PeterP

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see hundreds of negative comments on the VEAO and Cortex forum areas.

If they had a kickstarter project I would also ask the same questions.

I don't have a facebook account.

Can someone ask them on their facebook page how they will create the AFM for F35? Do they have access to some documents?

On their homepage they say that there is already a lot of avionic stuff unclassified. Maybe someone can ask them on their facebook page if they have access to some documents (and these are?).

Some more answers about questions like these and I assume more "hardcore" simmers are willing to support this project. wink.gif

bump

If they had a kickstarter project I would also ask the same questions.

bump

get a face book account ;)

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Why are they trying to model an aircraft which is, for all intents and purposes, being developed and constantly refined? If they so badly want to model an uber-plane why aren't they doing an F-22 instead? At least that's got some service-time. Or they won't let them sit and film in a simulator so they could do a simulator-of-a-simulator? Yo dawg I heard you like sims, so we made a sim of a sim, so you can sim while you sim...

On the top of that, their website, their KS page and their presentation are noncomittal, unrevealing, indefinite, vague and unconvincing.

Protip: To be convincing try to actually present something not just being pleonastic about the DCS-platform (of which we are already more than familiar with) and your long-term dreams/goals. No, the three small res renders do not count, thank you.

Verdict -- 'meh'.

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

$17.222 is still alot of money maybe they just need to put the goal lower or for longer you can do alot what that money.

$75k for a project that will be in DCS World...

or

£49299.94 [round it up to 49300].in today's exchange rate

Sounds average for a team of 2 maybe 3 people.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Thanks 14th JAR yes once we get through this the real fun can begin. Just as a note, I would like to, over the coming year, try to coordinate with Lockheed and an opportunity for our founders to get access to the demonstration F-35 simulator. I'm hoping to put together activities in different locations so some of us can meet and exchange ideas. What would you think about something like that?

That would be tremendous... (I would say sign me up but I already did..)

Thanks!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

$75k for a project that will be in DCS World...

or

£49299.94 [round it up to 49300].in today's exchange rate

Sounds average for a team of 2 maybe 3 people.

75K$ is not very much for a project with a timeframe of one year. If you

outsource the programming work to china, india or to east europe it would be 'perhapes' manageable.

I personaly dont think they fund that project only with Kickstarter funds.

Anyway, i backed the project with 50$

75K$ is not very much for a project with a timeframe of one year. If you

outsource the programming work to china, india or to east europe it would be 'perhapes' manageable.

I personaly dont think they fund that project only with Kickstarter funds.

Anyway, i backed the project with 50$

Unless they have done most of the work first ie the model and texture.

The hard work will the the coding.

Will back this on Friday when it's payday.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Or $75,000 is not the entire production budget, it's the gap between the funds they have available and the budget they need. They may have funds saved up, or the ability to take out a business loan, but not enough to cover the full cost.

After all, it's not like traditional production methodology has had production costs paid upfront: they aim to recoup it with the product afterwards

After cuts by KS and paypal they would be happy to have 60k left - about 80-85%.

There's no way that is enough funding to realize all promised features. Without disclosure on how they are aiming to fill that gap you have absolutely no reasonable assurance that what is promised can, or will be, realized. For a software dev obtaining funds is not as simple as running to the bank, as the project is high risk with no (physical) backing for the loan.

I have seen many more KS projects do this; ask low and hope for big funding - However, there's nothing worse than reaching the KS goal that is woefully inadequate. Now you have people, investors, to please with a product that you know you cannot deliver as promised.

With current lack of disclosure this is looking to be a bad investment indeed.

• Like 4

Why does ED allow stuff like these having the"DCS" title? When I see "DCS: X" I want it to be a thoroughly researched and modelled aircraft, not something modelled with a lot of assumptions. Heck, you don't have aerodynamic data, avionics data or system data. The "look at all the documents we got!" images on the Kickstarter page are just laughable.

So, my question is; why the F-35? The developer of this mod can do a DCS: F-4 which plenty of data is available even in basic aerodynamic textbooks . . . It will still sell lots, maybe even more because of how iconic this plane is. But I think the devs is just trying to go the easy way, and do a "DCS" plane without all that tedious modelling. If you can legitimately say "we just approximated that stuff" then your work becomes suddenly a lot easier.

Again, there's no basis for any of us outside of KI to make any judgement on what is "assumed" and what isn't. ED okayed it exactly because they've obviously determined that it's well within a reasonable and acceptable level of realism. None of the developers we've seen here (or anywhere else, except maybe FF since it's virtually all community work) have ever made public every documented piece of information that they're using as the basis for their design work. The pictures on their KS have nothing to do with showing documents or resources, it shows their familiarity with the subject matter. And as a matter of fact, they have a much stronger pedigree than anyone else that's taken up the task of making a module for DCS to date. It's a tough challenge making an F-35 simulator, an even tougher one to make it as real as possible, but this developer has more experience and know-how than anyone that's come on to the DCS scene yet. $28 isn't such a huge loss if you find in a year that for whatever reason it doesn't live up to your expectations.

After cuts by KS and paypal they would be happy to have 60k left - about 80-85%.

There's no way that is enough funding to realize all promised features. Without disclosure on how they are aiming to fill that gap you have absolutely no reasonable assurance that what is promised can, or will be, realized. For a software dev obtaining funds is not as simple as running to the bank, as the project is high risk with no (physical) backing for the loan.

I have seen many more KS projects do this; ask low and hope for big funding - However, there's nothing worse than reaching the KS goal that is woefully inadequate. Now you have people, investors, to please with a product that you know you cannot deliver as promised.

What investment? Nobody pays a dime unless they do get the full $75k. If they get the KS, they get to work on F-35A right away! If they don't, they're going to get their funding elsewhere. It's outrageous that you're looking at this thing and saying "well, I certainly can't get in on this, it might not even make it to the limit!" when all you need to consider is whether you want to add this project on to DCS or not. Newsflash: if it doesn't go through, everyone that participated in the KS will give exactly as much as you; nothing. What the hell is anyone missing out on by supporting the KS even if it doesn't yield anything? I can tell you what they're gaining though. They're getting Beta access, and even with all the negative nancy comments, there's still a decent shot that it can be funded, so they're getting the product sooner and whatever other incentives they've earned with their donation level.

I can't believe how many of you are making such a big deal about meeting the minimum objective or "$75k isn't enough." It's such a simple concept. Like DCS: F-35A? Go now and chip in the money you'll be spending on purchasing the module in a year (and at $28 for the full game, that's obviously a significant savings compared to whatever the final price will be when it does get released). What it is is an awesome opportunity for people who want to have an F-35 to fly or even just want to support the development of DCS by helping to ensure that an additional module is developed ASAP and done right without having to deal with investors sticking their fingers in to the mix because they just want to get a bigger profit.

Edited by pyromaniac4002

So you created a second account, which is against forum rules, to post more of your nonsense...

They have already said the project is going forward with or without the KS, the KS is there to raise additional funds to get things moving quicker. If you have half a brain and could read, you would have read that on their KS page and on FB.

• Like 1

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Nor Kickstarter nor Paypal nor both combined would reach such tremendous fees. For example, on the back of my head, Kickstarter fees are 3% IIRC.

Gotta keep the campaign moving though and throw in content updates regularly to keep the pace, the last few days usually aligns to the firsts in term of pledges so what happens in between is, in this case, critical.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nor Kickstarter nor Paypal nor both combined would reach such tremendous fees. For example, on the back of my head, Kickstarter fees are 3% IIRC.

Gotta keep the campaign moving though and throw in content updates regularly to keep the pace, the last few days usually aligns to the firsts in term of pledges so what happens in between is, in this case, critical.

I agree they need to add another video with the content from their FB Q&A. It would go a long ways in answering questions by people whom only see their KS page.

Here's an interesting post on the KI FB Page for their F-35 project:

Link

Hi Michael all of these Kickstarter funds will go into the F-35 - with the F-35A being done first, The vast majority of the funds will be used on C++ programing where there will be at least three programmers, although only two will be full time. The programming will be broken down into (The biggest) Avionic and Instrumentation development and integration & aircraft systems including normal and emergency or degraded operations / Flight Dynamics

Hi to all - just wanted to comment on the budget. We are adding R & D money from my company to make the F-35 goal. The Kickstarter funds get us to where we need to be and also allows me to bring into the project, in the early stages and for flight test, a dedicated group of Simulation Pilots. Great things can be done with enough people working together on a single goal!

Dear Revelation - can not wait to fly with you again. You really made my day brother!

Anytime man!

Maybe we can the old group in some DCS action one night...