DCS Enhanced Terrain (Texture Mod)

toby23

This DDS files are not JSGME compatible 'out of the box'.

You have to do what Toby wrote and than create your own JSGM compatible folder structure with your modified zip folders.

1. Copy all four seasonal zip folders out of the DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\vfstextures folder to a diffrent location. This can be ...\Eagle Dynamics\MODS\DCSEnhancedTerrain-v1-1\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\vfstextures when you have installed JSGME into the Eagle Dynamics folder.

2. Modify this four seasonal zip folders by drag'n'drop Tobys DDS files in them.

3. Now activate this new mod with JSGM.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Toby

I hope this post don't offends you - it's just a well-meant criticism done in good faith.

I enjoyed your texture mod very much from day 1 , but I also enjoy to fly helicopters in valleys in not such urban areas.

But the buildings and fields in your textures looked sometimes very misplaced and killed the immersion for me .

So I took the best from both worlds - your Hi-res textures and the 'low and slow' - and merged them together so there are no urban leftovers in them.

I also re-edited the colour-balance - so the urban districts doesn't stand out so much against the base texture and blend better in.

Have a look - I hope this gives you some inspiration for your future work:

(BTW: I use noise1PerSquare = 3.0; in the DCS World\Config\terrain\High.lua)

Untitled_zps534dccee.jpg

Screen_130927_101953_zps64cc8a2c.gif

SeasonComparsion_zpsa400a133.gif

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b2fm789bkc8xb6s/new_seasonal_vfstextures_without_fields_and_buldings.rar

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

Looks great and don't worry, I'm not offended, you're not the first person to do this.

I'll try them out later and get back to you.

What is weird is that you needed to change the colours.

On my calibrated screen, the colours matched the default towns and villages 1:1.

The same for the low'n'slow textures.

Happy hunting.

Edited by toby23

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

PeterP you've read my mind, i love Toby's work but seeing those building stretched over mountain tops was an immersion killer for me too :)

so do i, looks the best and correct scale and also reduces any likelyhood of texture repetition.

edit: i really dig your work Toby, i don't want to appear to be too critical - i realize how much heart and time goes into making mods like these!

Edited by Mustang

What is weird is that you needed to change the colours.

On my calibrated screen, the colours matched the default towns and villages 1:1.

The same for the low'n'slow textures.

Happy hunting.

The standing out urban areas where most noticeable for me in the spring time. (see my first Gif)

And keep in mind that I may use a different HDR setting and also a different SweetFX settings as you .

But I made all edits with the default Normal HDR and without SweetFx to ensure highest possible 'cross-compatibility'.

:)

-whatever-

Thanks for your work!

I have now a very good guess how much time you did put into it up to now and how hard it is to find a good balance within the limitation of the engine.

Edited by PeterP

Great Work!

Thank you all (from whom I downloaded mods) very much, for your common effort to make what we have in DCS World a very adjustable, beautiful, enjoyable place.

I have been tweaking ever since I downloaded DCS World for the first time.

Primary to have a decent fps as I noticed the stress on the system with higher video settings.

But at this point, it's very rewarding to manage both quality and fps. Thanks to great enhancements of the texture work, cloud tweaking, high.lua file. And many more enjoyable/useful mods.

Don't like it... sorry guys.

Too much forest area and I never liked how the map textures add colours on top of the flat forest textures and make the textures unclear plus real life is full of fields.

I've messed around trying to remove this blurry colour layer after some help from HungaroJet but it has some really weird side effects, like the whole ground textures going almost black if you alt+tab out of the game.

I'm still thinking about a good solution for this problem.

Has to work at low and high altitude and the repeat should not be noticeable.

Edited by toby23
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

This DDS files are not JSGME compatible 'out of the box'.

You have to do what Toby wrote and than create your own JSGM compatible folder structure with your modified zip folders.

1. Copy all four seasonal zip folders out of the DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\vfstextures folder to a diffrent location. This can be ...\Eagle Dynamics\MODS\DCSEnhancedTerrain-v1-1\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\vfstextures when you have installed JSGME into the Eagle Dynamics folder.

2. Modify this four seasonal zip folders by drag'n'drop Tobys DDS files in them.

3. Now activate this new mod with JSGM.

Thanks got it to work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just tried PeterP`s modification of Tobys textures....I too miss the fields at lower altitudes but at higher elevations and snowline the blending is much

better...decisions,decisions...:doh:

I think Toby`s originals are better for those on medium scenes which dont have widespread forest as his textures give the biggest immersion jump over the bog-standard default ones.

Many thanks to all who are improving the visuals..Toby...Peter...Mustang:thumbup:

Edited by aceviper

• 2 months later...
Hi Toby

I hope this post don't offends you - it's just a well-meant criticism done in good faith.

I enjoyed your texture mod very much from day 1 , but I also enjoy to fly helicopters in valleys in not such urban areas.

But the buildings and fields in your textures looked sometimes very misplaced and killed the immersion for me .

So I took the best from both worlds - your Hi-res textures and the 'low and slow' - and merged them together so there are no urban leftovers in them.

I also re-edited the colour-balance - so the urban districts doesn't stand out so much against the base texture and blend better in.

Have a look - I hope this gives you some inspiration for your future work:

Untitled_zps534dccee.jpg

Screen_130927_101953_zps64cc8a2c.gif

SeasonComparsion_zpsa400a133.gif

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b2fm789bkc8xb6s/new_seasonal_vfstextures_without_fields_and_buldings.rar

Looks so nice!!

But please edit those city textures under citys, maybe just some grass or like that. So it would be more like Rise of flight style, no fake cities painted in ground :)

And maybe no need to paint forest in terrain when we have those 3d trees ? your green grass texture looks so fine in mountains :)

I would to this my self but im so noob with terrain edit :(

Edited by Haukka81

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks great and don't worry, I'm not offended, you're not the first person to do this.

OK, now the cat is out of the bag so to speak, here is the version of my villages mod with the blended version of Toby's excellent two terrain mods included that I made a good few months back: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B31Ed4Wn1_E2VFdwamlldFBWNFE/edit?usp=sharing

It's in JSGME format, just drag it into your JSGME mods folder, enable it and enjoy. Don't forget to remove my old version and Toby's originals if you have them in already!

Screen_131014_190227_zps035d607c.jpg~original

Screen_131013_234543_zps461828aa.jpg~original

Screen_131014_190252_zps442addb3.jpg~original

Screen_131026_095120_zps4ed98f36.jpg~original

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK, now the cat is out of the bag so to speak, here is the version of my villages mod with the blended version of Toby's excellent two terrain mods included that I made a good few months back: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B31Ed4Wn1_E2VFdwamlldFBWNFE/edit?usp=sharing

It's in JSGME format, just drag it into your JSGME mods folder, enable it and enjoy. Don't forget to remove my old version and Toby's originals if you have them in already!

Screen_131014_190227_zps035d607c.jpg~original

Screen_131013_234543_zps461828aa.jpg~original

Screen_131014_190252_zps442addb3.jpg~original

Screen_131026_095120_zps4ed98f36.jpg~original

Wow! Looks great!!!

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One of the best mods I've ever seen. However, it seems that some of the painted city textures still remain. Is it a bug, my own fault (as always) or is there still some modding to do? And thanks again, this improved things vastly and should be the default mode. (note picture below)

cityalmostthere.thumb.jpg.8cae854d7fa9bfd000e4781a769342e4.jpg

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

One of the best mods I've ever seen. However, it seems that some of the painted city textures still remain. Is it a bug, my own fault (as always) or is there still some modding to do? And thanks again, this improved things vastly and should be the default mode. (note picture below)

Yeah i've noticed this too

86EfP7u.jpg