ED - let the community create/update 3D models

nickos86

ED - let the community create/update 3D models  

67 members have voted

1. 1. ED - let the community create/update 3D models

• Great idea! That would enrich DCS world and benefit the creators!
    • Bad idea. Model level/legal issues/what ever reason - not feasible

Hi,

A while ago you asked the community to participate in a skin challenge. The best skins were put into the game and the creators were rewarded.

Creating/updating 3D models is time consuming and it's clear your resources are limited.

Please consider the option to initiate more events like the one with the skins. Or even define a policy where the community will create 3D models for you and the creator will be rewarded.

You can help with providing guidance and relevant information for the community.

There's so much to create- infantry units (pilots for CSAR as the guys at the fighter pilot podcast suggested, special ops units, etc.), armored units, aircraft, stationary units and objects...

ED and community members - what do you think of that?

A good idea !

This would save money for ED, but still a question: How would you support your asset during the time. I mean if ED makes a update and your asset don't work anymore, who should correct the bug ?

Maybe create a kind of 3rd party "community" who regroup all the projects ?

Provided that they meet the ED standards. Then its a good idea!.

So far, we still have those pixelated gimped up AI 3D models that just looks VERY ODD and kills the immersion.

An update to those AI 3D models is long overdue. It looks more like ED gives more focus to WW2 AI 3D assets than legacy old AI 3D models.

As long as the provider can also provide evidence they created the model themselves from the ground up and didn't port it from another game or simulator, or from an online model store catalog. The provider also must provide original sound files for the aircraft type and not use extracts from YouTube.

If it's not 100% created by the person (or entity) providing the materials, ED would become liable if it's under copyright.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

As long as the provider can also provide evidence they created the model themselves from the ground up and didn't port it from another game or simulator, or from an online model store catalog. The provider also must provide original sound files for the aircraft type and not use extracts from YouTube.

If it's not 100% created by the person (or entity) providing the materials, ED would become liable if it's under copyright.

This ^^.

IF they can make it to ED level in 3d / 2d and damage model.

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• ED Team

Yes!

Disclaimer: this is not an official answer. It is my personal opinion.

First of all, if anyone wants to offer their 3D models, or any other content for inclusion into DCS World and we agree on the quality and the terms, he/she will need to sign an agreement for transfer of copyright. It's like a standard contract work no matter are money involved here or not.

Moreover, I see no need for the poll. Anyone interested always can contact us directly. Any call for public action will lead to a flood of low quality content which we will have to spend our time reviewing, negotiating etc...

No one wants the hassle. There is already a much simpler way for the user-generated content:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/

I'm sure it can be improved - this is the area where your feedback will be appreciated more probably.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

ED, would you comment on the idea?

ED is already doing it.

Years ago, Upuaut's cargo objects were integrated into the game.

Apparently, the FrenchPack is also going to be integrated at some point and countless community made liveries have been added to the game.

Maybe adding a new option on the userfiles might be a good idea, something along the lines of "I'm the creator of this content and I would welcome its integration into the game".

So the people handling new submissions over there could proceed to a first selection and forward the selected content to the "experts"

Edited by Eight Ball

Maybe adding a new option on the userfiles might be a good idea, something along the lines of "I'm the creator of this content and I would welcome its integration into the game".

There have been enough cases of attention seeking "modders" passing off ther peoples work as their own. Expecting people to be honest, especially on the internet, is unfortunately not a good idea.

The military aircraft mod team along with the guys making the AI Growler seem really talented and could probably help out if they were interested but ED really needs to chime in and confirm if they are open to this. ED obviously need the help but its up to them to clarify if they'll accept it.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/64/58/ea6458e2d324aa68f5ac76922536c033.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

It's already been said/done before. They can and do accept community submissions. IF those submissions are high enough quality. The overwhelming majority of even popular mods are NOT. Those submissions also require a legal framework, it is not the wild west.

Leave the matter to the professionals, or those with the gumption to work it out. In short, if somebody can't figure out how to submit something to a company (ie in a professional way, not through a forum post, etc) their work will not be good enough anyway. It's not hard to do, it only requires a tiny bit of intelligence mixed with an ounce of initiative. If somebody lacks those two things, they probably also lack the skill to produce something worthwhile. This isn't an ''amateur's night'' proposition.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

The military aircraft mod team along with the guys making the AI Growler seem really talented and could probably help out if they were interested but ED really needs to chime in and confirm if they are open to this. ED obviously need the help but its up to them to clarify if they'll accept it.

90% of all non-native models you have seen floating around the community have all been ported from somewhere and are not their property.

#ShowUsTheWireframes

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2