VR Update - March 2016

Wags

Hi please can you devs confirm that RIFT performance is way ahead of VIVE perfs with the current build ? I am currently running DCS in 4k always at over 90fps in high settings on my rig (980Ti+i7) and I struggle to get 40-45fps with the VIVE in low/medium settings :(

Just hoping we can expect improvement in the next patches ^^

i7 4790k / Asus 1080 Ti / HTC ViVE / 32 GB RAM

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Frusheen,

Thanks for the expert opinion on ReShade/SweetFX. I expected it was something like that. I've asked Dan Church (author of FlyInside for FSX/P3D) about it and he seemed to think that he could add the "hooks" interface to his code. I wonder if ED could do the same - certainly there are post-processing passes being made using shaders somewhere. If that could be exposed somehow (not using dxgi.dll) to the user as addon shaders, it would be great. There is some evidence that screen door, vibrance, luma sharpen and other such effects could be used to improve the VR image.

Thanks for your expertise

Dave

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Even with my seat wayyyy too high, the immersion is incredible with the OR CV1. Any suggestions how to lower my seat(Eye height)

...tried keyboard RCtrl+Rshift + Num2, ...started to get excited as my viewpoint got lower......then Stopped....Grrrrrrrr...still about a foot too high....

Is there a ReCenter like in TrackIR?

Thanks in advance for speedy replies,

Chas

Edited by hesynergy
open circuit betwixt brain and fingertip

Even with my seat wayyyy too high, the immersion is incredible with the OR CV1. Any suggestions how to lower my seat(Eye height)

...tried keyboard RCtrl+Rshift + Num2, ...started to get excited as my viewpoint got lower......then Stopped....Grrrrrrrr...still about a foot too high....

Chas

Numpad 5

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Chas

See this post

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's the dot pointer on the v2.0.2 alpha update.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

What laser, what aircraft?

On the A-10C I have it mapped to the same button as my nose wheel steering button with a modifier.

On the A10 C, it is the nose wheel steering button. You don't need a modifier.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

On the A10 C, it is the nose wheel steering button. You don't need a modifier.

no, he is asking about the laser pointer use by ED to replace the cross (used as a mouse pointer) in the cockpit...

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

no, he is asking about the laser pointer use by ED to replace the cross (used as a mouse pointer) in the cockpit...

I know. I was just referring to Acoustic's post.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Sorry, yes i'm takling about the "laser" / mouse cursor.

I just wonder if it was possible to activate buttons just by looking at them and press a joystick button. I use xpadder to get two joystick buttons to act like left end right mouse button, but I need a cursor to pinpoint the decided buttons :-)

Jorgensen

Leap Motion support - please!!

Imagine holding your finger close to a button (inside its highlight zone), and it highlights. Pushing forward into its activation zone, activates the button. For a switch you move the finger up/down, for a dial you hold two fingers together and rotate your hand (still inside activation zone).

That would be SO cool! And intuitive.

ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4, Core i7-6700K, Cooler Master Hyper 212X, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, 512 GB Samsung 950 PRO M.2 SSD, MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G OC

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 month later...
I am currently running DCS in 4k always at over 90fps in high settings on my rig (980Ti+i7) and I struggle to get 40-45fps with the VIVE in low/medium settings :(

I play on a very similar system (980+i7) with HTC Vive. Yes, the performance hit is very significant compared to 4K resolution.

The only way the game is currently playable on HTC Vive is on minimal view distance. Other settings seem to not affect performance significantly. The frame rate still drops below playable when large number of buildings is visible. And the frame rate rarely drops below 90 while flying above buildings models rendering range.

Even on minimal settings the load time is ridiculously long. It is a big deal in VR. The game basically freezes while loading and makes the player wait in a SteamVR virtual environment without any indication of progress or failure. The game also sometimes crashes while loading leaving me waiting on some virtual island forever.

When it works, it is the most amazing and the most realistic VR experience today. Even though just starting the game is a torture...

Same problem on both 1.5 and 2.0.

Devs, please fix the game. At least give us an option to disable 3D buildings.

VR camera zoom would be a very useful feature too. It is very hard to read labels in the cockpit in VR. Every time I do a cold start I wish for a virtual magnifying glass...

They are working on zoom, I will try and find the post.

Here you go....

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2807671&postcount=65

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Sorry, yes i'm takling about the "laser" / mouse cursor.

I just wonder if it was possible to activate buttons just by looking at them and press a joystick button. I use xpadder to get two joystick buttons to act like left end right mouse button, but I need a cursor to pinpoint the decided buttons :-)

Jorgensen

I believe it was mentioned to allow the Left Mouse and Right Mouse Button Functions to be set on controllers when using HMD Controlled Cursor Position.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Please release soon. Need that kneeboard!!

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Just another stupid sale announcement :(

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2814421&postcount=34

At least a roadmap update would be nice...

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

Stupid? There isn't an update today, probably because something big is on the horizon. An amalgamation of 1.5 and 2.0 into 2.5 maybe? To say the announcement they have made is stupid because there is no sign of the eagerly awaited update seems a little excessive to me.