A-1H Skyraider

As a member of the Hoggit team, will this become a full project worked along side the A-4E, or is this a solo project? Please Please on both fronts get them to us as Ai at the very least! so many projects never see the light of day. but that doesn't mean we can't at minimum get Ai out of them.

As a member of the Hoggit team, will this become a full project worked along side the A-4E, or is this a solo project? Please Please on both fronts get them to us as Ai at the very least! so many projects never see the light of day. but that doesn't mean we can't at minimum get Ai out of them.

It's not a HoggitDev project. Right now it's a solo project, but it might change, and other people might join up as the project progresses.

I get what you're saying by releasing it as an AI, and, if the project were to fail, I'll make sure to release what I have as an AI. Hopefully it does come to this and we'll all get to sit in the cockpit of the Skyraider :)

And thanks for the kind words everybody!

It's not a HoggitDev project. Right now it's a solo project, but it might change, and other people might join up as the project progresses.

I get what you're saying by releasing it as an AI, and, if the project were to fail, I'll make sure to release what I have as an AI. Hopefully it does come to this and we'll all get to sit in the cockpit of the Skyraider :)

And thanks for the kind words everybody!

Thank you for your continued hard work. My condolences to you and your country for the terrible tragedy yesterday. :cry:

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

Have a listen to the Alert 5 Podcast - YOUR source for the latest combat flight simulation news!

Don't forget Korea!! One of these days we will have a Corsair, albeit the wrong model for Korea, but a Corsair nonetheless. With the Mig, Saber, P-51 and Corsair, the AD would just about do it! (for me anyway). I have a very active and vivid imagination, so the fact that the Corsair is "only" a D model and the Skyraider is a -6, neither of which flew in the Korean War, doesn't bother me in the slightest. Nor the absence of a straight deck Essex class carrier. I will still be happy as a clam! :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyraider used catapults with bridle cord.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I guess I did Crazyeddie! The Big E will be awesome! Does it have functioning catapults? Just curious.

I tried that mod out, it looks amazing, but being a WW2 era CV, it doesn't have what you would expect for catapults, it has 2x hydraulic bridle line cats, which are not functioning. In WWII the carriers steered into the wind, and the Aircraft's engine combined with the headwind created more than enough lift to get the plane in the air at their max combat weights.

I haven't heard of US Fleet Carriers having catapults until jets started entering the naval scene. Even the B-25's of Doolittle's Raid used no catapult system to launch off the deck, granted they had to pull almost all defensive .50 cals to achieve this with a full bomb load and enough fuel to get to Tokyo.

EDIT: Just found this info: Before World War II, although carriers were fitted with catapults, takeoffs were usually accomplished by a deck run rather a catapult launch. It was quicker and to a small extent safer since catapult failures were not unknown. However, as airplanes got heavier, requiring more distance to take off, and more of them were crowded on deck, resulting in less distance for a takeoff run, the catapult launch became more the rule than the exception.

While the CV-6 was equipped with 2x hydraulic bridle line catapults, and one hangar deck cat of the same make, they rarely saw use unless the deck was really full, and the planes loaded to combat max or max launch weight.

Edited by Davison

I tried that mod out, it looks amazing, but being a WW2 era CV, it has no catapults. In WWII the carriers steered into the wind, and the Aircraft's engine combined with the headwind created more than enough lift to get the plane in the air at their max combat weights.

I haven't heard of US Fleet Carriers having catapults until jets started entering the naval scene. Even the B-25's of Doolittle's Raid used no catapult system to launch off the deck, granted they had to pull almost all defensive .50 cals to achieve this with a full bomb load and enough fuel to get to Tokyo.

A-1H Skyraiders were Launched off the Deck of Forrestal Class Carriers (ie USS Forrestal, USS Ranger, USS Saratoga, USS Independence)

The A-1 Skyraiders didnt enter service until the korean war.

Marine Corps Versions Did Take off from the Deck of Essex class Carriers w/o Catapults,

But the majority were launched via Steam Catapults from Forrestal Class Carriers using a Wire Bridle.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The hanger deck cat launched a plane athwart ships (side to side). It was not on the Enterprise class - Hornet and Yorktown as far as I know. It was incorporated into the design of the Essex class based on the lessons learned from the 4 carrier vs. carrier battles that we fought prior to the Essex being launched. The Navy wanted to be able to continue to launch their CAP fighters or search aircraft if the flight deck were fouled or too crowded with recovered aircraft. I don't believe that it was ever used for anything other than training and was soon eliminated from the design.

EDIT: I just Googled the Big E and it did have a third cat down on the hanger deck.

As far as hydraulic or steam cats, they all used bridles until the launch bar began to show up on aircraft like the A-6, A-7 and subsequent planes.

Throughout Korea, the AD's usually deck launched when it was convenient, which was entirely dependent on available deck space and wind. If necessary they would routinely launch with the cat.

I don't think many are aware of this but, back during WWII, flight operations off of the Jeep Carriers (19 kts max speed) by TBF/M's were often cancelled due to lack of wind. And that was not because they couldn't launch, but because it was too dangerous to recover the Turkeys with only 19 knots of wind over the deck.

Edited by AG-51_Razor

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The hanger deck cat launched a plane athwart ships (side to side). It was not on the Enterprise class - Hornet and Yorktown as far as I know. It was incorporated into the design of the Essex class based on the lessons learned from the 4 carrier vs. carrier battles that we fought prior to the Essex being launched. The Navy wanted to be able to continue to launch their CAP fighters or search aircraft if the flight deck were fouled or too crowded with recovered aircraft. I don't believe that it was ever used for anything other than training and was soon eliminated from the design.

EDIT: I just Googled the Big E and it did have a third cat down on the hanger deck.

As far as hydraulic or steam cats, they all used bridles until the launch bar began to show up on aircraft like the A-6, A-7

and subsequent planes.

Throughout Korea, the AD's usually deck launched when it was convenient, which was entirely dependent on available deck space and wind. If necessary they would routinely launch with the cat.

I don't think many are aware of this but, back during WWII, flight operations off of the Jeep Carriers (19 kts max speed) by TBF/M's were often cancelled due to lack of wind. And that was not because they couldn't launch, but because it was too dangerous to recover the Turkeys with only 19 knots of wind over the deck.

Wow!

Thanks for the info Razor!

Ive never heard of that before. (thought maybe was a typo, or i wasnt reading it right)

I would have lost money on that bet....

I remember reading and seeing films about jeep carriers launching P-47s to south pacific bases.

Thanks again for the info:thumbup: