What's your video card and CPU?

I'm building a new comp in the near future and trying to guage what's the best path for LO and BS. AMD AM2 or INTEL Dual2 Core? Nvidia or ATI? And should I go ahead and buy LCD or should I wait until the zero response time to arrive?

Thanks

EDIT:

Oh and of course, CH or Cougar? :D Just kidding, I already know what I'll be getting.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

I'm building a new comp in the near future and trying to guage what's the best path for LO and BS. AMD AM2 or INTEL Dual2 Core? Nvidia or ATI? And should I go ahead and buy LCD or should I wait until the zero response time to arrive?

Thanks

EDIT:

Oh and of course, CH or Cougar? :D Just kidding, I already know what I'll be getting.

For a new rig, you should consider the whole thing as a system, not evaluate the single components. A fast machine is the product of

- Mainboard (chip set, bios, bios settings, drivers)

- CPU (dual / single core, clock, cache size, Streaming SIMD Extensions SSE)

- OS (configuration, service packs)

- RAM (size, clock, in conjunction with Mainboard effectiveness)

- Graphic card (GPU, RAM, clock, firmware/bios, driver, in conjunction with management by Mainboard and OS effectiveness)

- OC (if deemed necessary)

- cooling (may slow down CPU/GPU if not sufficient)

- Power Supply

- Additional software running (Antivir, Firewall)

Any of these factors might be a bottle neck of your new rig that slows down all other components and costs you FPS

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

I'd be sure to get the Intel Conroe platform and I wouldn't spent the top dollar on the graphics card since the new Dx10 cards are not that far away.

So, what you should get is some Conroe CPU, a good motherboard so you can clock it as well, some quality 2*1 GB DDR2-800 (at least) RAM and a PSU with enough power reserve to handle these coming GPU behemots (250W Ati and 300W Nvidia) ~ that means 500W PSU, get 600W just to be sure.

If you already have a PCI-E card, perhaps you can bare with it 'til the new cards arrive or get some not too expensive card (Nvidia 7900GT or Ati X1800XT or similar sound about right). But if you have money to burn get either one Nvidia 7950GX2 or two Ati X1950XT in Crossfire (then also choose a mainboard which has the i975x chipset and supports Crossfire, like e.g. Asus P5W DH Deluxe).

As far as the LCD is concerned, you might be in for a long wait.. ;) What LCD do you have now? What will you use your computer for? Personally, I wouldn't go beneath a good 20/21" (1600*1200) or 23/24" (if you want widescreen; 1920*1200), preferebly S-IPS LCD monitor.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

AMD 64 4000 San Diego

Sapphire X1900XT

Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe motherboard

2GB XMS Corsair 3200

Antec 600 watt PS

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Guest IguanaKing

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800

MoBo: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

Video card: ATI X1950XTX

Memory: 4GB Corsair PC8500

Runs LOMAC like a dream (1600X1200, everything on and as high as possible, except water: set to high), I still get above 30 FPS as a minimum, even when I'm burning a DVD and re-downloading all of my Half-Life games from Steam. (was doing all three simultaneously last night, with A-10A campaign mission 2). AA and AF all turned up to maximum quality settings. :D

FWIW - I went with high performance value. Core2DUO 6700, NvidiaGT7900, 2 gigs of RAM and Asus P5 motherboard. If u got the cash sure get all top of the line components. But I probably saved an easy $1000 just by going down 1 notch from top of the line components and maybe I get less than 10-15% performance then a top of the line $3000 rig.

A word of caution and I'm not referring to any of the posts specifically in this thread, but be "weary" of people that claim they run everything maxed out and get solid fps. I've got near top of the line components and get solid fps in most instances but still an occasional fps hit anywhere near the large cities. FPS over the 2 or 3 large cities I'll drop down to around 26fps which is acceptable compared to the teens I was getting on my old system. The hardware is very close to catching up to this sim but it's still not there in terms of being able to run everything on high and get completely smooth fps under all cirumstances. People who say they run with everything turned up all the way either have their the config files tweaked (which reduces graphic quality or reduces the number of objects), they are using some mods that reduce image quality for performance increase or they are just plain stretching the truth a bit. With that said, I am sure you will enjoy the sim if you buy new CPU, video card but just don't get your expectations too far out of reality by any claims from the threads that will soon follow. I'm very pleased with the game experience I get with Lock On with my system specs though. cheers

Athlon 64 3000+ at 2200MHz (1 year old)

GeForce 6800 GT 256MB Sparkle (1 year old)

2 GB RAM Twinmos (3 months old)

2X80GB Seagate ATA 100 IDE drives (pritty darn old :) )

Next year I promise to rebuild it :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

P4 @ 3.5 GHz (FSB800), 2GB Samsung RAM in Dual & NV Asus 6600 GT @ 520/940 ...All with cold air intercooler :)

...but waiting 4 DX10 capable GFX card... then changing 2 the MAX :D

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

See my sig.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

In the sig.

All maxed out, 6AA 16AF.. 1680x1050

Blowing the crap out of equipment on the ground onboard in cockpit FPS never dips bellow 30...cockpit FPS ranges from 30 in heavy explosions and lots of ground vehicles to 60-80 when ground is more or less clear.

But Im talking low altitude bombing, everything maxed 6aa 16af mipmap quality at max force feedback on etc etc.

:Core2Duo @ 435FSB x 7 3.05GHz : ATI x1900xtx: 2GB Patriot @ 435Mhz : WD 250Gb UATA: Seagate 320Gb SATA2: X-Fi Platinum:

I do realise now that my PC is already 3 years old (2 years ago FX-57 was the fastest single core on the planet)

Today there is only 1 good option: go Core 2 Extreme X6800 together with the fastest vid (quad/crossf. or 2xSLI) and a Cougar of course ;) (anyway if your wife/mother let you burn the cash :D ).

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |