Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

T-50 has 8 POV inputs and 19 Buttons, all DX direct inputs seen by the Windows / DCS in the same manner as the TMWH.

As I understand it, Virpil software calibration is stored within the device.

You may also need to calibrate the device in Windows AFTER calibrating in the software - this depends on settings current within Windows OS for that device.

After calibrating and saving the profile within the software, I had to additionally calibrate in Windows before the pinky axis worked correctly and, on another occasion, after replacing an axis PCB both calibrations were needed.

Use the Virpil software as described in their video. Flashing wrong firmware may brick the device which then requires a dismantle and a pin short to reset.

I use multiple input devices and T-50 is the best yet.... and support is solid, sure slow at times but good. Thrustmaster support over the years I have found to be very good and just as slow ha ha ha.... I think we just exoect more... :)

Edited by Gizzy

SIGBLOCK.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it, Virpil software calibration is stored within the device.

You may also need to calibrate the device in Windows AFTER calibrating in the software - this depends on settings current within Windows OS for that device.

After calibrating and saving the profile within the software, I had to additionally calibrate in Windows before the pinky axis worked correctly and, on another occasion, after replacing an axis PCB both calibrations were needed.

Indeed the calibration is stored in controller firmware, and should not use Windows calibration after, this will defeat the purpose of calibration in firmware.

If you are having problems with brake lever axis should contact VirPil about.

I would highly recommend users do not try to calibrate in Windows.

Some folks have really messed up their sticks trying this - Virpil can get them squared away, but it can certainly cause issues.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would highly recommend users do not try to calibrate in Windows.

Some folks have really messed up their sticks trying this - Virpil can get them squared away, but it can certainly cause issues.

That's down to the brake right? IIRC just hold it down before you start calibration to get around that issue.

I....

I'm having no issues at all, but like I said my process worked fine for me.

After axis PCB swap and software calibration the centre was way off, windows calibration solved it, but hey, whatever works for you.

SIGBLOCK.png

I'm having no issues at all, but like I said my process worked fine for me.

After axis PCB swap and software calibration the centre was way off, windows calibration solved it, but hey, whatever works for you.

But have you previously made a Windows calibration? Before replacing that sensor PCB.

Is there a user guide on their site or forums? Others mentioned the brake lever will not calibrate in windows calibration.

Im waiting on the warBRD and a t50 grip so I wonder if the software will be the same or require a different procedure.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Hey all, finally got my mongoose base today to use with my Warthog and on the whole I’m very happy.

It did take me a good while to get it calibrated correctly, but that’s correctly done now.

Roll axis is fine, nice and smooth and so is pitching down, but when I pull the stick all the way back and then back to the middle there is a definite - not quite a clunk - but as if there is something not fitting correctly in the gimbal central position for this axis.

I don’t really want to take the thing to bits on the first day of receiving it. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas what this may be?

Thanks

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

but when I pull the stick all the way back and then back to the middle there is a definite - not quite a clunk - but as if there is something not fitting correctly in the gimbal central position for this axis.

I don’t really want to take the thing to bits on the first day of receiving it. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas what this may be?

Thanks

I would open and check it. You need to open (and it does not void the warranty) it anyways in order to replace the default springs with the softer ones. (I found the default ones are too stiff, and soft ones - just perfect).

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

Yes... I had it too.

The screws which holds the cam get loose. Because of this the cam is clipping from one side to other generating that metalic click. Check for both axes and put some Loctite lock on them. Loctite is best because it also allows you unscrew if needed without destroying the screw head.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

......Anyone else have this problem or any ideas what this may be?Thanks

If the top plate axis adjusting screws are loosened beyond a certain point slack can cause noise or a clunk. Tighten both axis some and see if this helps.

SIGBLOCK.png

Just pulled the trigger on a T50 with base (Black edition). Site says in stock so hoping it should be here in the next 14 days.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Just pulled the trigger on a T50 with base (Black edition). Site says in stock so hoping it should be here in the next 14 days.

I fear your definition of 'in stock' and also of '14 days' will be different from theirs.

Nevertheless, it will be well worth the wait, it's an excellent stick and base.

My t-50 is losing axis settings when I reboot my system although the button presses are still working. This has happened twice now (I’ve saved the profile in the software) I really hope I don’t have to keep recalibrating this before each blast on DCS!)

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

How would one go about mounting the T-50 base to a flat wooden surface?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

How would one go about mounting the T-50 base to a flat wooden surface?

You can't mount the base directly to the surface, it's not designed to be bottom mounted. You can see in the photo how I constructed a mount that keeps the bottom of the base slightly above the flat wood surface.

20171231_135951.thumb.jpg.ac0071cfaa91673de0cec60eb081bae5.jpg

I'd not count on that. They might send it in 14 days if they manage to make it. I think by "in stock" they mean, "yes, we can possibly make it". I hope for you that I am wrong here, but this was my experience.

The stick is very good tho.

I'd not count on that. They might send it in 14 days if they manage to make it. I think by "in stock" they mean, "yes, we can possibly make it". I hope for you that I am wrong here, but this was my experience.

The stick is very good tho.

After reading this thread, I'm getting the impression that "In Stock" means we have the components but assembly will take around 14days with EMS taking another 14 days to arrive!! I would think that with a unit as expensive as the T50 and being "In Stock", post/pack should not take any longer than 2 days?

I ordered a set of VKB T-Rudders from X-Plane.org on the 29 May, they shipped on the 30th and arrived today (USPS Florida to Aus). Now that is service!

Where's Cyph3r when you need him....hasn't been on since 18th May

Edited by MustangSally

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

They list the lead time for each item, which is as much as 14 days, even if it’s in stock. Who knows what the lead time is actually for; but it’s still better than what you might face with the closest competition.

The wait should be worth it.

Don't tell me. It takes at least 4-7 to get a reply. Sometimes even more.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

They list the lead time for each item, which is as much as 14 days, even if it’s in stock. Who knows what the lead time is actually for; but it’s still better than what you might face with the closest competition.

The wait should be worth it.

Yep way better, and it is worth it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

After reading this thread, I'm getting the impression that "In Stock" means we have the components but assembly will take around 14days with EMS taking another 14 days to arrive!! I would think that with a unit as expensive as the T50 and being "In Stock", post/pack should not take any longer than 2 days?

I ordered a set of VKB T-Rudders from X-Plane.org on the 29 May, they shipped on the 30th and arrived today (USPS Florida to Aus). Now that is service!

Yes, that's how it feels like

It's different sales standards to what you (and I) are used to. Fulfillment time is measured in weeks (fast) and months (relatively slow) and years (slow)

Again, stick is good, if it's worth the wait it's up to you.

Edited by mdee

I already paid off my warBRD and t50 grip so I may as well wait now. Of course I can have them ship the grip but the point is to use the new base and discontinue the use of my Warthog base.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

You can't mount the base directly to the surface, it's not designed to be bottom mounted. You can see in the photo how I constructed a mount that keeps the bottom of the base slightly above the flat wood surface.

Why does the bottom of the base need to be kept above the surface?

That's a bit of a shame. It'll make the stick more challenging to integrate into my setup. Is it possible to mount the stick in the opposite direction and reverse the axes? Maybe with an extension, as you can just twist the cable?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Why does the bottom of the base need to be kept above the surface?

That's a bit of a shame. It'll make the stick more challenging to integrate into my setup. Is it possible to mount the stick in the opposite direction and reverse the axes? Maybe with an extension, as you can just twist the cable?

IIRC the base was not designed to withstand any direct pressure, hence no bottom mount. I think someone else was successful mounting in the opposite direction and reversing the axis. The new WarBRD mount is designed for flat mounting. https://virpil.com/en/shop/sticks/vpc-warbrd-vpc