Top Gun 2

NineLine

Cruise said that the story had to be right before he would consider doing it and judging by the fact that he's an actual pilot with a passion for aviation he isn't going to let a major sequel like this be ruined by CGI. Who knows though, have high hopes. ;)

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

^ I'm hearing not so good things at work, lol, and I do Video Editing and CGI

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

You might want to look at rjetster1's profile and location.

:music_whistling:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

We are roughly in the same industry.. damn, can you tell us what you've heard? ;)

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm having a real hard time imagining how the storyline can be any good. The only good one that come in mind would be a film version of "The last Topgun", a pretty good fictional book. An old, ex-Tomcat pilot drinks in the bar at Miramar, when 2 young F-18 jocks walk in, a guy and a woman. They start talking, and the old guy tells them stories about what it was like to fly F-14s in the good old days.

Anything that has drones, or doesn't have F-14s would be a disappointment.

Why has it to be the F-35? Why not about a Super Hornet squadron with Maverick being the smoking admiral in the dark office? :)

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think it has to be superhornets doesn't it? Pilot/Rio relationship is more important than the romantic relationship... that doesn't happen often in films.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No Producing Company is going to have the backing to write a check to rent a US Aircraft Carrier, Let Alone an F-35 Sqn to Shoot the Footage they want and Actor's Salary.

Well they did the same kind of thing back in the 80's with equally complex technology for the time when they filmed Top Gun...:music_whistling:

If I may say I think it would almost guaranteed be feauturing the F-35 because it is so controversial (outstanding media coverage) and it is the leading tech into the future.

As long as they have real aircraft footage its all good imo :thumbup:

Give me a crap story line with real footage anytime over the opposite.

You forgot about Aliens!

Anyone remember the Battleship movie from 2012? The "Navy" advertisement made into a movie where not even advanced space faring entities cannot beat one boat?

Well we can see something similar now with Air force. :)

But to be fair, I would imagine some fictional war with North Korea to be at least a bit interesting where they have to pull out some old "analog" beauties to kick some ass. :D

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

More importantly, will he ask Goose to talk to him again? Has he learned yet, that its not likely to happen still?

And will Iceman still fit into a jet?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I believe it was mentioned the old script idea of Pilots vs Drones was thrown away.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Well they did the same kind of thing back in the 80's with equally complex technology for the time when they filmed Top Gun...:music_whistling:

If I may say I think it would almost guaranteed be feauturing the F-35 because it is so controversial (outstanding media coverage) and it is the leading tech into the future.

As long as they have real aircraft footage its all good imo :thumbup:

Give me a crap story line with real footage anytime over the opposite.

in the late 80s and 90s, I was spending after school in the hanger w/ my father's squadron, sitting in tomcats..

I challenge any AE to try that today, it'll not be pretty.

80s and Early 90s were a different time,

Where they stroked a check to turn the carrier around just to get better lighting for scenes.

AFAIK Now, the Original "Draft" Idea of F35 Pilots Vs Drones was not Head to Head F35 vs Drones, but comparing Performance of F35 vs Drones in Several Pre-selected Scenarios. etc etc. and that Draft was thrown away, as it's pretty much a copy of "Stealth",

So there's no telling what it's going to be now. they have about a year to bang out a new script.

As for featuring the F-35, they have enough to deal with right now, they dont need to take a 3 month vacation from development and training to film aerial scenes for a movie, they'd be better off using Super Hornets.

Nothing is official until it's on the screen at your theater or on a Disc in your Stores.

I've edited Post Effects/CGI for Movies that were cancelled less than 2 weeks before they were scheduled to be released on direct to DVD.

And will Iceman still fit into a jet?

the only Jet Iceman gets near nowadays is the Cola kind :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

in the late 80s and 90s, I was spending after school in the hanger w/ my father's squadron, sitting in tomcats..on direct to DVD.[/quote/]

Your point is proven, though if they could somehow get F-35's in there it would be a major PR boost for the Navy and the program.

I was not born in the 1980's, never mind old enough to remember what it was like when Top Gun was released, but from what I heard it was a massive hit and the F-14 and the Navy became a star. The question I wonder is do you guys think this will have just as much as an impact on American culture as the first one? From talking to people of all backgrounds growing up in the 80's, Top Gun seemed to be one of the most remembered movies.

in the late 80s and 90s, I was spending after school in the hanger w/ my father's squadron, sitting in tomcats..on direct to DVD.[/quote/]

Your point is proven, though if they could somehow get F-35's in there it would be a major PR boost for the Navy and the program.

I was not born in the 1980's, never mind old enough to remember what it was like when Top Gun was released, but from what I heard it was a massive hit and the F-14 and the Navy became a star. The question I wonder is do you guys think this will have just as much as an impact on American culture as the first one? From talking to people of all backgrounds growing up in the 80's, Top Gun seemed to be one of the most remembered movies.

No, Top Gun was a freak thing that captured lighting in a bottle at the time. Tom Cruise in his prime, great supporting cast, soundtrack, and of course the F-14 all coalesced perfectly. That sort of thing is very rare.

Also remember that Top Gun came out during the cold war. That backdrop gave the movie a little gravitas that you may not appreciate watching it now, and there's no "evil empire" (with apologies to our Russian friends) comparable in a modern remake.

Edited by Patersonski
added cold war point

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

the only Jet Iceman gets near nowadays is the Cola kind :megalol:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/8afa50b440/iceman-the-later-years-from-nino

No, Top Gun was a freak thing that captured lighting in a bottle at the time. Tom Cruise in his prime, great supporting cast, soundtrack, and of course the F-14 all coalesced perfectly. That sort of thing is very rare.

I woulda replaced Kelly McGillis.... other than that... pretty much all the above.

When Top Gun was re-released in theaters a few years back over my birthday weekend, there was nobody under prolly 30 in the theater the 3 times I went that weekend.

While I would love it if they used actual jets to film it, CGI is not necessarily bad.

It just has to be done very well.

Are the Spitfires in the dunkirk trailer CGI? I honestly can't tell, sometimes they look like they might be, then other times they look completely real.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were CGI considering the spaceships from interstellar were and those looked REAL.

Point being CGI can work in certain situations.

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p