2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

WW2 B17?

4th generation Russian jet, Mig 29? Su27?.

The B17 was mentioned in the DCS WW2 Kickstarter and would be a milestone and hugely complex. I can’t think of anything that’s been talked about, at all possible and modern that fits those criteria. If they have access to the data to make a study level Russian 4th gen jet that would fit, but I thought that due to Russian government restrictions that was impossible?

it got banished to chit chat

Well, since it has absolutely nothing to do with DCS at all icon_redface.gif

Thanks for pointing it out to me fsgrin.png

I only say one thing. I bet the new aircraft to be announced is the AH-64 Apache.

My wild guess as well... they've been talking about adding one since the very days of LOMAC. And it is one of the assets I'd say is eaglely awaited.

BTW, I know, totally OT, but:

Can't tell you ED guys apart anymore at glance unless I take a second look since you now all have the same avatar pic... where's your individuality gone to? rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I came to see who was going to the Flying Legends airshow, but should have known better, that it would just be pages of endless speculation on this planned module...

Get enough speculation every day on the BBC news channel, but since everyone else has had a go - I did also originally think about the Apache, but then remembered the B-17 and that this would actually be a milestone, Although you could say the same about the AH-64, if it has a fully operative AI WSO or pilot as that would be the first DCS helicopter with such.

I'd lay more odds on the B-17, though.

PS - I just remembered a comment made in one of Wag's videos referring to thoughts about a tanker - so could be an MRTT! :D

Edited by Brixmis

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless & Valve Index; Point Control v2

If, as has been suggested, it's DCS F-15C to finish the teen series, and then the teen series is finished, I wonder where they go with fast movers after that ?

Seems like they've hitched their wagon to a 'Blue' tractor, but it doesn't sound like the F-4's high on the list (they started it then dropped it), so where to after all the sexy US fighters are built ?

{Does make you wonder though - If we've got the Mi-8 (derivatives of which are still in service) and are about to get the Mi-24P (Derivatives of which are still in service), how strong can the prohibition on developing modern Russian aircraft be ?

The Su-27S is no more in service than the Mi-24P (in that 'yes' the airframes are, but everything inside them has been modernised and replaced. There won't be any paper map systems fitted to Mi-24 in Syria at the moment, and I don't expect there's any original N001 radars in the remaining Su-27SM that are in service now [certainly not the SM2/SM3/Su-35S] ).}

Cheers.

I assume they keep putting off the Phantom due to the multicrew aspect. They want to get that working solidly in another module first, one where it's not absolutely required to use the module in combat (so, the Huey, as they've recently re-promised). They may also, quite rightly, not like the Jester solution and are looking for another way to deal with operating it single person.

Adequate communication is an absolute necessity in the F-4, even more so than the F-14 (and it is very necessary there)

I was thinking about this module this morning and I am really doubting that pretty much any aircraft would be considered a 'milestone' in ED's developing history - multi-position aircraft such as B-17, AWACS or MRTT perhaps excepted - but there is something that has been talked and speculated about, and even information requested, which is armour.

So I'll back a DCS: AFV module - and the way this sim has gone, it's bound to be American, so DCS: Abrams, probably.

Though it could be a weather engine, I suppose - but whatever it is I'll not sit in the edge of my seat - too much current module learning, practising and execution for that. Then when it comes I can say "oh really? How nice..." :)

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless & Valve Index; Point Control v2

If I were ED I'd make some effort to back fill some of the FC3 ships to high fidelity. If I was a big fan of the MIG29/SU27 I'd be disappointed that this far along there is no hifi version of those planes.

I'm new to DCS so still overwhelmed with what I have (F86,F5,F18,Spit, Stang,109,190A/D) but eventually I want to turn my attention to those planes and a hifi model would be great.

If I were ED I'd make some effort to back fill some of the FC3 ships to high fidelity. If I was a big fan of the MIG29/SU27 I'd be disappointed that this far along there is no hifi version of those planes.

I'm new to DCS so still overwhelmed with what I have (F86,F5,F18,Spit, Stang,109,190A/D) but eventually I want to turn my attention to those planes and a hifi model would be great.

An aircraft that I wanted with high fidelity would be the Su25. :smilewink:

I think we can assume it's a modern jet. Because they say it's complex, and because Wags changes the subject to it every time someone asks about the F-4, which I would imagine must be their most requested aircraft. They've also said it's highly requested, so that's why I think only a Eurofighter or full-fidelity re-dos of the Fulcrum or Flanker would fit.

I'd much rather have an older jet, if not a Phantom then something from the Century series, particularly the F-104 and F-105. But I don't think any of those are as complex as modern fighters with pages upon pages of avionics interface, so I doubt that's what they're getting at.

I'd love a bomber too, or even a transport, but again, they seem to bring this up when people request the Phantom, and those wouldn't seem to be good substitutes for one. A pickup truck is a poor consolation when you were hoping for a Ferrari.

The F-104 would be beautiful, but the engine sound would have to be recorded from the real aircraft. His sound is very beautiful. The most beautiful of all fighters.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

It’s the AH-64 Apache. They have been developing it for a while in the background. We just got the Viper last year and they are implementing multi crew in the Huey. Complex doesn’t always mean what you might think they are trying to say. Plus the Mi-24 needs a balance. I really think it’s the Apache and here is a big clue...

https://stormbirds.blog/2018/04/06/new-details-suggest-eagle-dynamics-has-f-16-ah-64-new-maps-in-development/

I can hope at least.

Edited by cobrakev

It’s the AH-64 Apache. They have been developing it for a while in the background. We just got the Viper last year and they are implementing multi crew in the Huey. Complex doesn’t always mean what you might think they are trying to say. Plus the Mi-24 needs a balance. I really think it’s the Apache and here is a big clue...

https://stormbirds.blog/2018/04/06/new-details-suggest-eagle-dynamics-has-f-16-ah-64-new-maps-in-development/

I can hope at least.

Are helicopters called aircraft too in english? Serious question because i'm not a native english speaker. If not then you know it's not an Apache.

...Later this year, we are looking forward to announcing an eagerly awaited aircraft for DCS World. This will be a highly detailed and complex aircraft representing a huge milestone...

...Later this year, we are looking forward to announcing an eagerly awaited aircraft for DCS World...

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Helicopters are called aircraft too. However they are not airplanes they are rotorcraft but both are a subcategory of aircrafts. Also a hot air balloon is an aircraft, ie lighter than air category.

Maybe we will get a full fidelity hot air ballon sim to do some close air support missions or go air to hot air with the Tomcat

Edited by cobrakev

Helicopters are called aircraft too. However they are not airplanes they are rotorcraft but both are a subcategory of aircrafts. Also a hot air balloon is an aircraft, ie lighter than air category.

Maybe we will get a full fidelity hot air ballon sim to do some close air support missions or go air to hot air with the Tomcat

No joke, I would pay 50 euros for a hot air balloon simmed in dcs. Looking forward to max altitude tests as well es storm conditions. And all rhe skins and forms! Imagine a pink elephant dropping bombs on your head. :)

No joke, I would pay 50 euros for a hot air balloon simmed in dcs. Looking forward to max altitude tests as well es storm conditions. And all rhe skins and forms! Imagine a pink elephant dropping bombs on your head. :)

Count me in :D

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

I assume they keep putting off the Phantom due to the multicrew aspect. They want to get that working solidly in another module first, one where it's not absolutely required to use the module in combat (so, the Huey, as they've recently re-promised). They may also, quite rightly, not like the Jester solution and are looking for another way to deal with operating it single person.

My guess for the mystery module is the Eurofighter. Surely there's nothing so top secret about them that they can't be reasonably modeled, right? We already have an even newer plane in the sim, the JF-17.

Other guess/wish is a full-fidelity Flanker or Fulcrum. We really need a full-fidelity modern Russian fighter.

I'm totally with you here. And of course, the AH-64 would be as multicrew as the Mi-24P will be. No matter if it will be another chopper or a jet though, ED definately will have the need to have a decent GIB AI going, which, at the moment is already present in its basic functions as the Jester AI done by Heatblur. This literally screams for a co-develompent of something by ED and HB which basically throws the Tornado IDS, F-111(F) and also the A-6E into the bowl. Any of those would be utterly awesome and ED and HB directly working together, sharing technologies (I mean, HB also did quite a good job on the AG radar already) would just be brilliant.

As for the Eurofighter. This would be a dream coming true. But the most probable case would be us getting a Tranche 1 model, for obvious reasons. Interestingly, next to the original users of the EF (UK, Ger, Ita, Spa), the others, apart from Austria, are all present in the Gulf region, namedly Oman, Saudi-Arabia and Kuwait. Those however have ordered Tranche 3A, except for Saudi-Arabia who would have 48 models of Tranche 2. I think the key here might be the possibility of ED providing actual training software to the air forces as it has been done already with the A-10C.

Flanker or Fulcrum, or anythin contemporary Soviet asset would be great. Never forget that DCS once started as Flanker...

An aircraft that I wanted with high fidelity would be the Su25. smilewink.gif

The F-104 would be beautiful, but the engine sound would have to be recorded from the real aircraft. His sound is very beautiful. The most beautiful of all fighters.

+1 salute.png

No joke, I would pay 50 euros for a hot air balloon simmed in dcs. Looking forward to max altitude tests as well es storm conditions. And all rhe skins and forms! Imagine a pink elephant dropping bombs on your head. smile.gif

I'd probably pay twice that for a Zeppelin, even if this would be the first WWI module to come...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I think a balloon or a zeppelin would be just hot air. So I’m still thinking Apache. The next step in development, “ highly detailed and complex aircraft representing a huge milestone”

1. Dual cockpit coding (coming)

2. Needs a proper FLIR (coming)

3. Ground radar fire control (coming)

Three milestones right there and including the new tech they are still working on for this year that hasn’t been released.

I would have to assume that Heatblur is not apart of this to, but that’s only my assumption.

I think a balloon or a zeppelin would be just hot air. So I’m still thinking Apache. The next step in development, “ highly detailed and complex aircraft representing a huge milestone”

1. Dual cockpit coding (coming)

2. Needs a proper FLIR (coming)

3. Ground radar fire control (coming)

Three milestones right there and including the new tech they are still working on for this year that hasn’t been released.

I would have to assume that Heatblur is not apart of this to, but that’s only my assumption.

- Dual cockpit coding has been implemented on L-39 Albatros module and in progress to UH-1 multicrew, Mi-24P and surelly a updated Mi-8 in a future.

- Flir has been develop as a API to F/A-18C hornet and Vipper.

- ED ground radar API has used by Deka on FC-17 thunder and in progress to Hornet and Vipper.

None of them has milestones to build a Apache, in fact, if ED build a AH-64, that use develop and tested technology as same level to a Hind, ka-50, hornet, and Viper modules.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Thank you

You may or may not know, but I am rather skeptical and have complained rather loudly about the poor communication by ED and the string of bugs that had suggested poor or absent play testing.

And to me it seems now like things have turned out for the better. Unfortunately I can't speak for the quality of the game as I can't fly right now, though the newsletters seemed to have gone up in quality and quantity alike, and I am quite happy about that.

So I don't want to always complain and thought I might as well give praise where it's due.

Thank you and good job.:thumbup:

I forget where exactly, but I've heard mention of a "Ground Radar API", which presumably is what HB and Dekka use for their ground radars. (I know that ED claim they have to re-do the maps before ground radar can be possible for the F-18 but we already have two planes with working ground radar. Doesn't quite add up, does it?)

As for Jester, I hope ED adopts zero of that code. Again, I've been really impressed with the F-14 module as far as the systems and flight model go, but Jester is the weak point, particularly the interface-paradigm-breaking and screen-covering interface.

HB made their own AG radar code, the JF17 uses ED's API. Judging by what can bee seen on those radar images, the Viggen one is very far ahead. While in the JF17, you can't even make out a lake as opposed to the sea which is water as well, in the Viggen you can even see faint differences in forest areas, make out lakes and rivers and even spot airplanes (without any vital info though) in the space scanned by the radar.

Regarding Jester, if the big wheel interface is an immersion killer, there'd still be the possibility to bring another GUI for it, for example as simple as the ATC menu is. Or just get rid of it completely and use voice attack or maybe something similar built right into DCS at some point in the future. As for what he can do, I'd say it's still quite early to judge as lots of features are still missing. But what we've got already beats everything in computer simulation history hooves down.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Regarding Jester, if the big wheel interface is an immersion killer.

I'll voice a dissenting opinion and say that, for VR at least, I find it quite an elegant solution. I find it no more immersion killing than some other options. I would like to see it or something like it implemented more broadly

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I hope the new night lighting is close to the real thing with the intensity of the lights. See a city or airport from afar. :music_whistling:

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

I forget where exactly, but I've heard mention of a "Ground Radar API", which presumably is what HB and Dekka use for their ground radars. (I know that ED claim they have to re-do the maps before ground radar can be possible for the F-18 but we already have two planes with working ground radar. Doesn't quite add up, does it?)

As for Jester, I hope ED adopts zero of that code. Again, I've been really impressed with the F-14 module as far as the systems and flight model go, but Jester is the weak point, particularly the interface-paradigm-breaking and screen-covering interface.

From the sounds of HB's last update https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=261472 I don't get the impression they collaborate with ED at all, rather they chase the changes ED impose on them. That's just as well, the fewer developers the better. Throwing bodies at the problem will just over-complicate the solution.

NPltA2yNfcqdPxi0pQE4B-iFZI-FY3UpaFMlM7TFF3Lsj5fmyphgbUy3zraA0Xrog4bwkcqOWzvvtveDgP5VHMSw088Ch8-gFSh5J2VMr5Q_iTWyMw4SWXYY8GE_DS9O23U

VAICOM works very well for Jester coms, it is a game changer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Hi all,

please keep this discussion for newsletter items.

Off topic posts will be removed.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Will we have a newsletter this week?