DCS and Pimax

Wags

Why would you wanna have a resolution that is much higher than the pimax can render? It renders 2560 x something per eye. So if you go up to 3000 x whatever its more than enough. I know the image gets clearer with more supersampling, but framerate is the most important.

What is even more important: Everybody here with a Pimax. Get Pitool 245 beta and let Steam VR Update to the latest version. Before these updates I had like 60 fps flying over Nevada. Now I almost hit all the time 88-90 FPS without motion smooting. This is absolutely amazing! I don't know what they did but this is the best christmas gift I got this year. First I thought, well, okay it went from normal field of view to small per default. Thats the reason. But, no. Even with normal fov most of the time close to 90 fps. I run it on pretty decent rig though. Ryzen 5 @ 4,2 Ghz with a 2080 Ti. But this is a dream come true!

I believe the consensus is to use steam vr to set as close to pimax native resolution, then let DCS take care of the super sampling using pixel density.

Anyone else getting a lot of stuttering as the sun goes down and the heavier canopy reflections kick in?

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have problems with center of VR view when launching DCS natively from PiTool?

I have 5K Plus and after I calibrate room from PiTool the position to which DCS re-centers in VR with numpad 5 key is higher up than usual...

Is there a fix?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

Does anyone have problems with center of VR view when launching DCS natively from PiTool?

I have 5K Plus and after I calibrate room from PiTool the position to which DCS re-centers in VR with numpad 5 key is higher up than usual...

Is there a fix?

Pitool itself creates stuttering in IL2 BoS. So you should avoid to launch it, once the config has been done. SteamVR and the Pimax service are enough to make DCS works in VR, Pitool is redundant.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Pimax announced the Artisan HMD is now for sale starting at $CAD600 ($USD450), with deliveries expected to start in a few weeks. 1700x1440 pixels per eye, 140 degree horizontal FOV, up to 120 Hz, LCD, built-in SteamVR/Vive/Index type tracking support (stations extra, hand controllers extra). An optional more expensive version includes ear-cup type speakers, and a stick-on NOLO VR 6DOF tracking system.

So, if I understand correctly: Pimax Artisan has slightly more resolution than the Valve Index, but with both displays turned sideways for a wider FOV, at a price that is 10% less expensive but without a copy of Half-Life Alyx. And with simple head straps and no speakers instead of a nice integrated audio strap like the Index.

I can currently run my CV1 at 180% PD with decent 45fps ASW in DCS most of the time, so I suppose I could run the extra 80% more pixels in the Artisan at 100% PD instead. Or is that merely due to native Oculus support in DCS? Comments?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

I would buy a Valve headset long before a Pimax.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So, I tried the Pimax 8KX at CES and was able to exactly replicate my DCS graphics settings with NV Profile Inspector on their 9900ks + titan rig (my home rig is 7700k + 2080ti +hp reverb). I found the experience extremely enjoyable; the big thing to note as that they pretty much completely fixed the distortion issues on the demo units. Whether this rolls out to consumer units remains to be seen. Now, I say they had a titan in their rig for fun, but please remember a titan is only ~10% faster than a 2080ti unoverlocked. So please don't go thinking you need $2500 card to run 8kx :). Nvida went all out on marketing at CES; there were plenty of VR booths with multiple NVlinked Quadro 8000 cards ($$$) provided for free by Nvidia.

You can find my more in depth notes + semi review in the 5k vs index thread:

I've owned Index, currently have the reverb, and tried out multiple 8KXs today at CES. The reverb is absolutely better for DCS than the index, and honestly, the 8kx demo units they had blew the reverb out of the water. Assuming they have the same QA as the demo units, the consumer 8kxs should absolutely be the best consumer headset on the market for ALL parameters, money not being an concern.

The resolution density of the reverb is the same as the 8kx, but the difference between having peripheral vision vs looking through a box like the reverb is insane. Additionally, the screens were much nicer; I did not realize how annoying the muira was on the reverb until trying a high resolution headset without it. Add on top of it the near perfect tracking of lighthouse, and you have a headset that wins in all categories, except price

(BTW, the primary issue with Pimaxes besides money has been QA and panel distortion. The CES units had completely fixed the distortion, and I am going to wait until you can buy the 8kx on Amazon to hopefully help alleviate QA RMA issues. )

They are duel 2160 x 3840 panels, native. They accomplish this over a single display port 1.4 by capping refresh rate at 75hz. Plug into a bandwidth calculator and you can see they just barely have enough. You can quick-swap to ~1440 x 2560 render via PiTool and then this will upscale to the 4k panels and unlock refresh rate to 90hz. From my time at CES, it seems you can pretty seamlessly swap during game run to compare, but I certainly preferred less aliasing over +15hz, especially in DCS. Additionally, the refresh/render balance can further be finessed by discretely adjusting the fov, also via pitool. Overall, having never used Pimax before, I was fairly impressed at CES by the extra parameters PiTool let's you configure. (They already have static foveated rendering that works on everything!)

As far direct 8KX vs reverb pixel density comparison, that is quite tricky to definitively answer. As mentioned, the 8KX is 2 x 2160 x 3840, and the reverb is two square lenses: 2 x 2160 x 2160. So, the 8KX has substantially more horizontal pixels to compensate for the correspondingly substantial fov increase, so intuitively you would expect them to have very similar density. It is hard to perform a hard calculation, since your eye distance from the lens in addition to your personal IPDs interaction with the lens arrangement construction can significantly vary the actual perceived dpi. Anecdotally, I can say I was able to exactly replicate my graphics setup at home on the CES rig with nvidia profile inspector (1.4 pd, 2x msaa + mfaa enabled, -0.5 lod filtering) and, to the best of my perception, could not notice any difference in cockpit or outside world clarity + aliasing.

But, as mentioned, the clear, consistently colored screens were HUGELY noticeable, and the FOV was just such a good-feeling quality of life upgrade. Now that I've had a night to sleep on things, I find myself craving the 8KX hardcore while playing today on my reverb. I done messed up and tasted (currently) unobtainable glory and now I don't wanna go back xD

Another important thing to consider is that the Pimax has hard mechanical IPD adjustment. I have 61.5 and while the reverb works fine with about ~half of the image being sweetspot clarity level, I had close to edge to edge sweetspot clarity on 8KX once the IPD was dialed in. The only headset I've had better sweetspot on is the Index, since that remains the only headset with double-lens design + ipd AND eye relief sliders for 100% sweet spot attainability.

I'm actually kinda bummed, because previously I was confident I could wait until Nvidia Ampere + HDMI 2.1 (maybe DP 2.0?) to bring about a a new gen of headsets with the increased cable bandwidth, given that the reverb was almost maxing out current cable tech, but now I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to resist dropping a 1.5k load on this new hardware just because of how good the improvement felt xD

But hey, I can dream Nvidia surprise drops Ampre next month and Microsoft drops WMR 2.0 with 6 camera inside out tracking and and Samsung releases a true 2x 8k panel oled headset copying the index chassis adjustments for <$1000. I can dream.

"So, I tried the Pimax 8KX at CES and was able to exactly replicate my DCS graphics settings with NV Profile Inspector on their 9900ks + titan rig (my home rig is 7700k + 2080ti +hp reverb). I found the experience extremely enjoyable; the big thing to note as that they pretty much completely fixed the distortion issues on the demo units. Whether this rolls out to consumer units remains to be seen. Now, I say they had a titan in their rig for fun, but please remember a titan is only ~10% faster than a 2080ti unoverlocked. So please don't go thinking you need $2500 card to run 8kx . Nvida went all out on marketing at CES; there were plenty of VR booths with multiple NVlinked Quadro 8000 cards ($$$) provided for free by Nvidia.

You can find my more in depth notes + semi review in the 5k vs index thread:"

Thank You for this great news and early review,I am a original Pimax Kickstarter Backer and I'm currently using and enjoying a Pimax 5k+ that I've had no issues with other than not getting it to work at the new Pitool 120Hz refresh rate,but my unit was an early model and was not meant to or advertised to use this so I'm ok with it.

I'm also an early backer of The 8kx so your post is very encouraging,And I couldn't agree more...The Pimax Wide Field of View increases The VR Immersion Experience 10 fold!! :thumbup:

Thanks Again!!

Patrick

mini.gif

I would buy a Valve headset long before a Pimax.

I'm sure everyone is aware that you wouldn't buy a PIMAX even if it was guaranteed that the clarity was as good as a 4K monitor, 200+ FPS, a 360 FOV, headset light as a feather and perfect audio.

Edited by fiddlinjim

Is the inside/out Pimax 6DOF tracking good enough for flight sims, or are outside tracking modules necessary.

You'll need a base station for 6DOF. It's only 3DOF without one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

You can pick up good quality used Vive Lighthouses at a very reasonable price. Got mine from ebay and one is all you need for a great 6 DoF experience. More than one lighthouse would be needed if you intend to be on your feet moving around.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

Is the inside/out Pimax 6DOF tracking good enough for flight sims, or are outside tracking modules necessary.

I would say that the inside/out 3DOF is not enough for flight sims. It drifts a lot so you need to be constantly centering the view. I used it for a while but quickly decided to buy one basestation to get 6DOF with no drifting.

I've owned Index, currently have the reverb, and tried out multiple 8KXs today at CES. The reverb is absolutely better for DCS than the index, and honestly, the 8kx demo units they had blew the reverb out of the water. Assuming they have the same QA as the demo units, the consumer 8kxs should absolutely be the best consumer headset on the market for ALL parameters, money not being an concern.

The resolution density of the reverb is the same as the 8kx, but the difference between having peripheral vision vs looking through a box like the reverb is insane. Additionally, the screens were much nicer; I did not realize how annoying the muira was on the reverb until trying a high resolution headset without it. Add on top of it the near perfect tracking of lighthouse, and you have a headset that wins in all categories, except price

I have heard virtually the same review from several channels on YouTube and from someone I know that I played with for a year. The Pimax is THE VR headset I have waited for.

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

But how would you be able to play with the 8K if you can barely keep up the 45 fps with motion smoothing on the 5k- I own a 5k and the only scenario I can keep it steady at 45 fps is on single player missions with one or two enemy fighters. So I would say, at the moment 8K sounds awesome, but without the vulkan Api implemented yet, it does not make sense at the moment. Luckiy ED announced Vulkan API recently.

Edited by darkman222

Just ordered the Artisan (similar to 5K+ on normal fov mode, I think?). Anybody out there running a Pimax HMD with similar PC specs as me (GTX 1080, see sig below)? If so, any tips on settings would be appreciated.

Edited by Darrylx444
added 5K+ normal fov reference

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

Guys, sorry to ask a basic question, but does the 8KX have built-in audio? Info I have found confuses me - although that is easily done!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box