DCS and Pimax

Wags

I was thinking about a successfull space sim and WWII sim, the rules from this forum does not allow us to give their names but I'm sure someone into the hobby will know them.

If not, I can say that they offer very detailed environment, advanced (or less clumsy/cheating) AI and as much details as DCS. The only noticeable difference would be avionics as they are minimal in the WWII warbirds.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I was thinking about a successfull space sim and WWII sim, the rules from this forum does not allow us to give their names but I'm sure someone into the hobby will know them.

If not, I can say that they offer very detailed environment, advanced (or less clumsy/cheating) AI and as much details as DCS. The only noticeable difference would be avionics as they are minimal in the WWII warbirds.

I don’t own that space sim...but the ww2 sim you refer to is smooth is vr...almost 90fps in every situation....with dcs often i cannot get 45...i hope vulkan and the vr optimizations will do something

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Glad I got a laugh out of you :thumbup: Yeah not even not even 45 FPS. Even compared to other games , asides the FOV , don't see it being that any better than Vive Pro.

FYI, as a former Vive Pro user, and new user of 5K+

SDE:

It doesn't have almost SDE, at 1.5 the image is freaking perfect.

Sweep spot:

I can move my eyes and have a clear and sharp image instead of been obligated to rotate my head to see anything not directly in from of me. Vive needs the GearVR lenses mod otherwise is quite limited in comparison.

FOV:

Just freaking awesome.

Comfort:

With the help of the Vive's DAS and Vive foam donated by my old Vive OG, Pimax 5k is equally comfortable as Vive Pro.

Color:

I didn't notice any difference with my Vive Pro. Note: Night Missions are impossibles but I think this is a limitation from DCS's render engine, my Vive Pro wasn't far better.

Tracking:

Same.

Performance:

If I set the same graphics quality as the vive pro, the performance is similar. Yes, Pitool to 0.75 and low Fov has similar performance and graphics quality as the PRO.

We need real work here from ED, the current performance is just not up to expectations. I see a big deal including other planes / scripted missions (~35% performance penalty) this problem not only affects VR players, we need Multithread optimizations, Multi monitors and 4K gamers will be happy too.

Edited by Icebeat

1) ED says improvements or optimizations are coming in a blanket statement, we anxiously await them

2) Two or three years pass with nothing more said by ED

3) Information and Details Start to be shared with us by ED, hype intensifies

4) Wags shows a video or steam on YouTube telling us how he has every setting on High with MSAA on and he is “Locked at X frames” and it’s a “great improvement we are really going to love”

5) It gets released, we actually have equal or less frames than before and we realize that Wags’ video was him flying in SP, alone, with no other units so it was a worthless performance baseline

6) See step 1

Excellent analysis, but you forgot the (in)famous "two more weeks" :music_whistling:

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Forget fixed foveated. Looks like the new Vive Pro is actually getting eye tracking and foveated rendering

https://www.vive.com/eu/pro-eye/

*Content and graphics card compatibility required

Ill believe it when i see it... working foveated rendring that is.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

In a comment on his latest DCS settings video, Wags was asked about any news from Pimax and he replied, "They dropped off the radar and have not responded to us." Sad news.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

In a comment on his latest DCS settings video, Wags was asked about any news from Pimax and he replied, "They dropped off the radar and have not responded to us." Sad news.

Latest info, PimaxUSA is in contact with Matt today.

PimaxUSA

I've received the contact information and have reached out to Matt.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/apwrnj/are_there_any_pimax_representatives_in_this/

PimaxUSA

1h

Thanks for the address and have already exchanged emails together with Matt.

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/why-has-pimax-dropped-ball-on-working-with-dcs-dev-eagle-dynamics/14836/13

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Latest info, PimaxUSA is in contact with Matt today.

PimaxUSA

I've received the contact information and have reached out to Matt.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/apwrnj/are_there_any_pimax_representatives_in_this/

PimaxUSA

1h

Thanks for the address and have already exchanged emails together with Matt.

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/why-has-pimax-dropped-ball-on-working-with-dcs-dev-eagle-dynamics/14836/13

Well alright then. Sounds good to me. I wish Oculus was involved directly with DCS also.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Well alright then. Sounds good to me. I wish Oculus was involved directly with DCS also.

Things are looking up :) Matt's response from comment section in video above:

Matt Wagner

2 hours ago

Thanks to those the notified Pimax, they reached back out to us today.

You're welcome Matt :)

More from PimaxUSA

[–]WontFixMySwypeErrors 2 points 4 hours ago

This is awesome!

Have you had any interaction with Frontier Development? The makers of Elite: Dangerous, a game that provides another huge draw to the Pimax.

[–]PimaxUSA 6 points 3 hours ago*

Our US office is really excited to work with developers. In some cases because of language barriers, time lag etc. our home office didn't get the job done to properly support them. Our office doesn't officially open until March but we are interested in reaching out to great developers like Eagle Dynamics, the excellent Frontier Development and others to make sure backers have the best experience possible.

We now offer Brainwarp motion smoothing and Brainwarp FFR plus custom refresh rates. There are certainly some great optimizations we can assist developers with who might be interested.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

This is great news indeed and I really hope they stay on the ball regarding this. Flight simming is one of the best use cases for a high resolution/wide FOV headset IMO.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

This is great news indeed and I really hope they stay on the ball regarding this. Flight simming is one of the best use cases for a high resolution/wide FOV headset IMO.

Well Pimax picked the FOV part of that equation. I think the first part is more important for flight sims first.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well Pimax picked the FOV part of that equation. I think the first part is more important for flight sims first.

I would certainly take resolution over FOV any day.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I don't know...I want both now! :) It's hard to go back.:D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Isn pimax screen (5k+) a 2x 2560x1440 or 2x4k (8k), why do you say high fov but low resolution?

It seems it has the highest resolution of every headset.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Isn pimax screen (5k+) a 2x 2560x1440 or 2x4k (8k), why do you say high fov but low resolution?

I'm pretty sure he was commenting on Don's "I would certainly take resolution over FOV any day." comment.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The 5k+ has lower vertical res than the Vive Pro (and the Odyssey, I think), so, per horizontal degree, it has a lower res than these 2 current headsets.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Pixels per degree (PPD) of FOV is really what "resolution" means in VR. Unfortunately its actually hard to calculate, partly because of limited data from the consumer end, and things like optics configuration can affect the measurments. Max retinal resolution is 70ish ppd, things that look "good" on a screen are like 30ppd, and it rapidly goes down hill from there. 15ppd looks pretty bad in comparison which is roughly where VR is now, 8ppd looks like trash, and thats where the occulus developer sets were a few years back.

The fact is that IF the pimax FOV was 100 degrees, the 2560x1440 screen would be high PPD. The problem is that its 150 or 180 or whatever it is, so you have more pixels but you are using them to render a larger FOV. So Pixel per degree is probably on par with sets like the occulus with PPD's in the "teen" range, the 8k in theory might be in the low 20's PPD from what I've seen number wise but its also "cheating" with resolution, because it will upscale a lower res image (since GFX cards can't push enough pixels).

I'm actually much more excited to see the HP 2160x2160 headset, and hopfully that will push it up into the mid 20's with a 100deg FOV. But again, its 4x more pixels than a rift, so its going to be graphically taxing.

Yup. Me too. I can live with a scuba mask :). IMO the main credit for figuring out how much FOV and res you can get away with and still have it be immersive goes to Occulus.

At the end of the day though, its not hard to design high res screens/optics. The issue is being able to push enough pixels/frames per second out of the graphics card. I'm pretty curious where that will go both near and far term.

FOV and resolution is a personal preference, but for me, from now on there is absolutely no substitution for FOV in flight sims. I always had troubles in Rift to keep my eyes on something. My neck is not flexible enough (actually, it is not me, it human anatomy :D), for horizontal I had to turn in a chair with myself (still was not enough), for vertical there was no solution at all. After that nightmare, it is such a joy to do the same stuff in Pimax! I don't need to be an owl anymore. And resolution... I used to forgot about resolution after few minutes even with Rift. Of course, it is even more so with Pimax.

Edited by Lehmen

Well realistically everyone wants both FOV and Better PPD. Current tech is at best gonna let you choose one for now, it will get there eventually for both IMO. Given the current low PPD and "ok for me FOV" its an easy choice for me, but it may not be for others.

• 4 weeks later...
you can workaround FOV by turning your head.

there is no workaround for resolution.

Agree 100%, I have both pimax 5k+ and Vive Pro, and I will sell my 5k+, can’t get the smoothness with pimax 5k+; however might be worth waiting to see if Pimax optimizes pitool.

Minor question about the 5k+ (or any other hmd for that matter) do you get the annoying disappearing clouds with it or is it just in the Rift? Thanks

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |