Thanks for the F18 free weekend!

Gpruitt54

Thanks DCS for making the F18 available for the free weekend trial. I was able to try out the awesome plane, and I even managed to land on the carrier a couple of times. Amazing fun. Though I dog fight like crap, the F18 is great fun to fly.

I would love to buy the F18 module one day.

why thank them for a demo it's just marketing

Sometimes people are happy to pay money for things they like. Sometimes people are unsure about if something is worth paying for. A free period helps them make up their made and calm their anxiety on whether to buy or not. So it's a nice experience.

They should do this to all their modules at some point. This free weekend was great getting to test the F18 and checking out the persian gulf terrain.

Even though the $90usd is pretty steep for the bundle its highly likely i'll buy it.

I’m confused - after tomorrow does the free module(s) stop working or gets deleted? I own FA-18C and PG but not the Su-33.

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

I dont think they delete anything, but the product will stop working, and then you can only use it again if you enter a code.

Maybe you will see a popup or simply just be unable to fly the plane.

Regarding the main topic " thank you for the free weekend" then i like to say i think its great to give people the ability to try the f18 or a map for a weekend.

Personaly i would also like to try the harrier and see how it is like, and the quity of it before i buy.. With other words when you buy a piece of clothing you like to know if it fit before you pay it.. The same goes with dcs, except here you rarely can try anything and its a kind of buy and get no refund kind of deal.

So im glad they have a Try the product free weekend so i as a comsumer can try the software before buying.

( i own most modules and all maps by the way and i have the f18c, su-33 and the maps.. i think it is great for everyone els to try it for free before buying. ).

Will buy it for sure after I get a new rig.It was surprisingly easy to startup for first try without reading manual(though some systems weren't ready).

Also tried Persian Gulf map.It's nice to actually try the product instead of watching youtube gameplay.

Edited by _Randolph93

Intel i5-9600k - Asus TUF Z390 - 32GB DDR4 corsair - Gigabyte RTX 2070 - Seasonic 620W - SSD Crucial, HDD Seagate

Will buy it for sure after I get a new rig.It was surprisingly easy to startup for first try without reading manual(though some systems weren't ready).

Also tried Persian Gulf map.It's nice to actually try the product instead of watching youtube gameplay.

Well I wouldn't go away with youtubes, I do enjoy them very much, they're pretty well done for my non-pilot and half-DCS-beginner point of view, in terms of listenability and flow, the tutorials, I found myself watching the ones for modules I have never had plans to buy, but with Hornet, I kinda didn't watch more than half of them yet to kinda not spoil cockpit and see it in-game HD, ... but because of this free weekend, that worked, I saw it up close in-game, great, but I found myself watching the videos like half the time I could be playing it, but I thankfully didn't mind that and I liked to watch along as I play, switching between, however it would have been optimal if I did watch them earlier to maximize the weekend, but that's the question then, would I really remember all of those details when watching something just for some interest and not serious learning, so I would probably come back to watching them again. That one day helped quite a bit to polish the controls so I had quite a good run in the last hours.

The only thing I'm struggling with, because I'm less experienced and don't have one of those HOTAS joysticks, is when Wags presses some button on the stick that's offscreen, I have to really pay attention on what he says to then try to find it in flight manual, forums, web, sometimes there's many names for the same control, sometimes the in-game controls don't have an abbreviation attached to their name so it's harder to search.

I did start from beginning, maybe I missed it when the control stick buttons were explained hmm.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

My problem is that the module is still obviously in Alpha, and it's too expensive. Plus, $50 for a map? That's pretty steep. How about $10?

But the REAL problem is not so much DCS, it's the price of HOTAS.

Even Thrustmaster isn't that great. You don't get a decent Hotas until you go with VKB, Virpil, or beyond. And they are WAY overpriced.

I've talked to a lot of people who like sims, but say they are too expensive to get into because of sim price and ESPECIALLY hardware prices.

Anyway, thanks for the free trial! Hope you'll do it again when the F-18 is a little more presentable.

Edited by 3WA

My system specs below . Modest , surely . But it brings me a very great deal of pleasure , especially flying the Hornet .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I think try before you buy is a great idea.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

thank you Eagle Dynamics for this week end test of the module F18, I am ready to take advantage of your promotional offer, but I already have the Persian Gulf, and the SU33, is it possible to have a price discount on the acquisition of F18 hornet module?

MSI Z490 gaming Plus, I9 10900K, RTX 2080Ti inno3D, 64 Go GSKILL 3200 ,Pimax 5k+ ,Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster , rudder Thrust ,ssd ultimate 1to M2, 4 Hd

My problem is that the module is still obviously in Alpha, and it's too expensive. Plus, $50 for a map? That's pretty steep. How about $10?

Even Thrustmaster isn't that great. You don't get a decent Hotas until you go with VKB, Virpil, or beyond. And they are WAY overpriced.

I've talked to a lot of people who like sims, but say they are too expensive to get into because of sim price and ESPECIALLY hardware prices.

Anyway, thanks for the free trial! Hope you'll do it again when the F-18 is a little more presentable.

What makes you think all of these things are overpriced? Do you only play the $5 indie Steam games or something?

Well I wouldn't go away with youtubes, I do enjoy them very much, they're pretty well done for my non-pilot and half-DCS-beginner point of view, in terms of listenability and flow, the tutorials, I found myself watching the ones for modules I have never had plans to buy, but with Hornet, I kinda didn't watch more than half of them yet to kinda not spoil cockpit and see it in-game HD, ... but because of this free weekend, that worked, I saw it up close in-game, great, but I found myself watching the videos like half the time I could be playing it, but I thankfully didn't mind that and I liked to watch along as I play, switching between, however it would have been optimal if I did watch them earlier to maximize the weekend, but that's the question then, would I really remember all of those details when watching something just for some interest and not serious learning, so I would probably come back to watching them again. That one day helped quite a bit to polish the controls so I had quite a good run in the last hours.

The only thing I'm struggling with, because I'm less experienced and don't have one of those HOTAS joysticks, is when Wags presses some button on the stick that's offscreen, I have to really pay attention on what he says to then try to find it in flight manual, forums, web, sometimes there's many names for the same control, sometimes the in-game controls don't have an abbreviation attached to their name so it's harder to search.

I did start from beginning, maybe I missed it when the control stick buttons were explained hmm.

Use Chuck's guide for the F/A-18C Hornet to also help with learning, helps at times to see things correctly. Put it on a tablet if you have one.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

What makes you think all of these things are overpriced? Do you only play the $5 indie Steam games or something?

LOL. Normal people don't spend this much on a game, and CERTAINLY don't spend that on a joystick. We have to pay for shelter and food.

As one shocked guy on Steam said, "The DLCs for this game total over $1500 !!!!! :shocked face . I know he hasn't even looked at HOTAS prices yet. It's a shame the X-55 really turned out to be an overpriced piece of junk. And Thrustmaster, while sturdier, simply was never that great either.

I hope this game ( and hardware, which is mostly the culprit ) come down to a price the lower middle class can afford one day. I own the Shark and A-10, which I got at half price after them being out for many years, and I guess I'm somewhat satisfied with them for that price ( they are very good simulations! ).

My biggest gripe with this sim so far, is that there is still no ground simulation ( vehicles, troops ).

Like the new EDGE engine, so far. It's actually kind of fun if you bail, and then walk around the villages in the Persian Gulf. You can hear the roar of the jets overhead, and spooky sounds of (traffic?) in the darkness.

Edited by NineLine
Removed the 1.15 violations to salvage message.

The amount of detail here in these aircraft and maps are worth every penny I believe. It's not the best ROI in this small niche and there is a lot of extra work creating new tech for the f-18 that will also help with other fighters moving forward. If these were simple apps that would sell 250,000+ copies, sure 10 bucks would be fine.

The Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS would have to be the best bang for the buck when getting started, then if you are still very keen upgrade to VKB, Virpil etc.

EDIT: ED is bring out "Modern air combat" to lower the costs for entry. Then some will understand what goes into the modules and upgrade only the ones you want to upgrade. You do not need to buy all the module DLC's. Remember most of these are at the IRL

. Again, not very ROI friendly on this side of the marketplace.
Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• ED Team

We have many many hardcore fans that have kept pace with the DLC releases, and most likely benefited by not having to pay full price for them, new people don't have to buy it all at once, I mean if they want to, cool, but most new people will start with one or two modules, maybe a terrain to follow.

HOTAS, I doubt many of us started out with the best of the best, I myself rocket the T.Flight HOTAS X for a long long time, and I still have it sitting in the garage, it did fine, no its not Warthog, but I certainly could fly and fight just fine with it, with the twist handle, it kept me out of rudder pedals for a long time as well.

So you can look at the total investment of a hardcore guy that owns every little thing and go, wow, that's too much for me, but it's not realistic to think that is what you NEED to start in this hobby. People that scoff at the DLC totally don't realize the gameplay time potential either, for that investment, in the A-10C alone since it released, how many hours of game time have we all had, the big name studios that release a game each year or two cant compare time vs investment I don't believe.

LOL. Normal people don't spend this much on a game, and CERTAINLY don't spend that on a joystick. We have to pay for shelter and food.

As one shocked guy on Steam said, "The DLCs for this game total over $1500 !!!!! :shocked face . I know he hasn't even looked at HOTAS prices yet. It's a shame the X-55 really turned out to be an overpriced piece of junk. And Thrustmaster, while sturdier, simply was never that great either.

I hope this game ( and hardware, which is mostly the culprit ) come down to a price the lower middle class can afford one day. I own the Shark and A-10, which I got at half price after them being out for many years, and I guess I'm somewhat satisfied with them for that price ( they are very good simulations! ).

My biggest gripe with this sim so far, is that there is still no ground simulation ( vehicles, troops ).

Like the new EDGE engine, so far. It's actually kind of fun if you bail, and then walk around the villages in the Persian Gulf. You can hear the roar of the jets overhead, and spooky sounds of (traffic?) in the darkness.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

why thank them for a demo it's just marketing

Manners:)

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

presentable.

Its astonishing how much actual work goes into creating a map. believe me I know :)

1000's of hours work. ED has done a fantastic job with the PG map and its well worth the money. If you think about it this way

You take your partner and 2 kids to see a movie at the cinema, that gonna cost you 2 adults at around £13 each, and 2 x kiddies at about £8

So for 2 hours of entertainment that gonna cost you £42

Convert the dollars into pounds and ED want at today's exchange rate £38.48

And you get to spend more than 2 hours in the sim, and also get many updates to the map

That's just how the world is mate, you want the best products then you have to pay for them.

Thrustmaster Warthog is a fantastic system for the money, i used one for 8 years without issues until i swapped to Virpil stick and throttle. but yes I agree that things can get a little pricey while you are getting yourself setup. But as NineLine said, people don't start with the top end equipment.

I personally started with a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback, back in the day and other before hand which i can't remember the name of.

My personal opinion :)

Cheers Specter

Edited by Raz_Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

DCS is expensive, no doubt about it. But it does give everybody an entry point they can afford.

$0: SU25T and TF51D in the Caucuses map.

For the price of a normal game, you can buy FC3 or a map or a study-level module.

The way I see it, I remember years ago buying an Apache simulator, Longbow. It was fairly expensive. Later I upgraded to Longbow 2, which costed the same again and brought the simulation up to date with current technology.

If you had bought the A-10C for DCS years ago, you would have had it upgraded to the newer 2.5 engine for free. No need to pay for an upgrade. And it looks like that will be the case into the future. Any modules you buy now are likely to receive upgrades to work with whatever new technologies are applied to the DCS framework.

It's good value for me anyway.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick