Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery Trainer

Bankler

Found what I was looking for. The chart attached helped a lot.

42c26a7799b357a3ea2b3276b898aa14.jpg

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I’m having so many issues my missions that have scripts in them. Now Bankler’s version 3 mission. It’s great but now I can’t even open it in Mission editor! It loads fine in My Missions though. In ME it gets to Terrain...97 then just stops and I have to reboot it. I used it as a template to build my missions with this script but can’t even do that now. Any ideas chaps?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Found what I was looking for. The chart attached helped a lot.

42c26a7799b357a3ea2b3276b898aa14.jpg

Glad you found the good stuff, EagleWings. Just be adviced that the illustration is for a T-45. You'll need to be a little farther away abeam with the Hornet. Exactly how far differs depending on which pilot or LSO you ask, but the script will give you perfect score for anything between 1.1 and 1.4. My recommendation is 1.2 nm.

As for VSI in the final turn, personally I don't think too much about it. I just try to hit the altitude numbers (600 abeam, 450-500 at the 90, 380 at the wake) as close as possible and make sure the descent is "smooth". I know that some other people like to monitor the VSI more closely and use that as a reference, and I guess there's nothing wrong with that technique either. Whatever works for you.

Regarding the angle of bank. You're right, you might need to turn a little softer than 30 degrees. Try 25 or something. Experiment a little, and see where you end up on the 90. After the 90 the approach is generally a little less instrument, and more eyeball.

Thanks for your great efforts here Bankler, just used your misson and love it, another great successful "add-on" for the Hornet.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Glad you found the good stuff, EagleWings. Just be adviced that the illustration is for a T-45. You'll need to be a little farther away abeam with the Hornet. Exactly how far differs depending on which pilot or LSO you ask, but the script will give you perfect score for anything between 1.1 and 1.4. My recommendation is 1.2 nm.

As for VSI in the final turn, personally I don't think too much about it. I just try to hit the altitude numbers (600 abeam, 450-500 at the 90, 380 at the wake) as close as possible and make sure the descent is "smooth". I know that some other people like to monitor the VSI more closely and use that as a reference, and I guess there's nothing wrong with that technique either. Whatever works for you.

Regarding the angle of bank. You're right, you might need to turn a little softer than 30 degrees. Try 25 or something. Experiment a little, and see where you end up on the 90. After the 90 the approach is generally a little less instrument, and more eyeball.

Okay, thank you for the information. I thought the 0.9-1.1m distance abeam the carrier was very close and not what I was used to anyways,

I will stick with monitoring of altitude figures of 600ft abeam, 450-500ft on the 90 and 380ft at the wake. It easier to monitor this than using the VSI.

I wanted to do some air-air refueling with tanker on your mission and found that tacan in x-ray mode in mission breifing did not work but when I tried Yankee, it registered and picked up the tanker.

Kindly check from your end.

I really appreciate these recommendations of yours.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Ok, stupid question, but how do I install it?

you simply download the mission from the first post and then open it in DCS after saving it in your saved games

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

My first go around I did. Raised hook and then moved to Cat 1 to takeoff again but I sat there for a few minutes to see if it would pop up and I got nothing.

After trapping, don't raise hook and taxi right away. Go idle, let the wire pull you back, stand still on the spot it pulls you to and wait for the score.

If you don't get it to work, please post a Youtube video (or a .trk) and I'll take a look and see if I can give some advice.

Strut>> Thanks!! Glad you like it!

Sting57>> Yeah, sometimes you can get a really good score even if you bolter. This script will give you 5 points for a 3-wire though, so to get a perfect score, you'll need the 3-wire as well. Just like Lex said, IRL the wire isn't that important, as long as the approach is great. That said, a bolter is of course not desirable. Still, 65 points is great, since that shows you got the pattern down really nice (probably just over-corrected a little at the ramp?). And the mission is not only about ball flying, but focuses on flying the whole break and pattern in a disciplined way. Great work! :thumbup:

Few days ago...tried this, not a single successful case 1 landing. Few bolters. Last bolter I didn't have enough power and wound up in the water a little frustrated.

Today... 4 attempts, 1 bolter, three rough carrier landings but no damage. (I've improved everything up until the downwind leg and final approach. I keep coming in at the wrong angle, straight at the #2 cat. Makes the next takeoff easy, but...not what I'm aiming for. LOL)

Still, massive improvement! Thank you for this sir!

Few days ago...tried this, not a single successful case 1 landing. Few bolters. Last bolter I didn't have enough power and wound up in the water a little frustrated.

Today... 4 attempts, 1 bolter, three rough carrier landings but no damage. (I've improved everything up until the downwind leg and final approach. I keep coming in at the wrong angle, straight at the #2 cat. Makes the next takeoff easy, but...not what I'm aiming for. LOL)

Still, massive improvement! Thank you for this sir!

Just keep at it. Carrier landing is quite intensive and each pass you keep learning.

Also guys start training with wind from a, lets say, a 20 degree offset.

Carrier is way to stale in the water and with wind ...the 3 wire is really a thing to shoot for :)

If tha boat ain't rockin...landing is nothing ;)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also guys start training with wind from a, lets say, a 20 degree offset.

Carrier is way to stale in the water and with wind ...the 3 wire is really a thing to shoot for :)

If tha boat ain't rockin...landing is nothing ;)

No carrier would ever put the aircraft 20 degrees off the wind. They are steerable, and will always head into the wind for recoveries. The carrier speed is also determined by the prevailing wind speed. 10 knots of wind will put the carrier at 20 knots to give a 30-knot wind over the deck. The higher the wind speed, the more the deck will pitch, and the greater the burble of turbulence coming off the island. T%he greater the burble, the more the lift will vary and the harder it will be to maintain an accurate glide slope.

What we will soon need is some gusting and backing and veering effects added to the wind to make life harder.

mastered basic procedure.

There are pilots who have more than RL 500 traps (some with over 1000) and they will all tell you that they have never "mastered the basic procedure."

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

https://www.cag-51.org/contact

No carrier would ever put the aircraft 20 degrees off the wind. They are steerable, and will always head into the wind for recoveries. The carrier speed is also determined by the prevailing wind speed. 10 knots of wind will put the carrier at 20 knots to give a 30-knot wind over the deck. The higher the wind speed, the more the deck will pitch, and the greater the burble of turbulence coming off the island. T%he greater the burble, the more the lift will vary and the harder it will be to maintain an accurate glide slope.

What we will soon need is some gusting and backing and veering effects added to the wind to make life harder.

I read somewhere there are certain occasions when the ship can´t steer for a proper wind, such as entering one country´s waters, risking a collision with other ships and such.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Umm..at which point we'll need two missions.

There is a need for a mission where we can just learn the basics and get onto the boat..save the variation for another mission for those who have mastered basic procedure.

Yes, this is exactly my idea as well. It's easy for the end user to download the mission, open it in the mission editor and add turbulence, different time of day, rain, async aircraft weight, low fuel or anything else if they need to make it more challenging.

But I admit that even though I've made tons of passes while developing it, I usually don't get 70/70. I think it requires quite a bit of concentration to not make any mistake big enough for a score deduction.

Would love to see more of everyone's passes btw, so keep those Youtube traps coming! :pilotfly:

Hi, Bankler, any chance could you make this mission for the PG map as well? I've tried saving it as a static template but it doesn't seem to do it across different maps.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |