HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Possibility of Rift Earphones Fitting Reverb

Rift Headphones fitting Reverb. That idea crashed and burned.

I had a set replaced under warranty by oculus, so I took the faulty spare and tried it on the Reverb.

Everything is the same fitting, with the exception of the length of the center screw. The oculus one is too short to start.

In the name of science and the DCS Community. I disassembled the earphone to see if the screw could be changed for a longer one. It looks just like an ordinary PC case screw.

However the screw is moulded into the headphone base and cannot be removed, despite ragging at it with a pair of pliers.

I drew the line at trying to remove the headphone threaded collars on my Reverb...

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

With re-projection on the FPS isn't accurate. Everything is posted above except the NVIDIA Settings. The only changes I made from those posted were putting the Shadows to Flat in DCS Settings.

I see there is an indicator you can turn on to see what reprojection in auto mode is doing at any moment. It should display in the upper left corner.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/filing-feedback

pgwt0Zh.png

Secoda, I would be very grateful if you could post your current in game settings and NVIDIA control panel settings (apologies if you have posted them before on this thread).

I am struggling to maintain a decent frame rates at 90 Hz and 180% Steam VR resolution both with and without the WMR reprojection.

lkuxEuV.jpg

xueHijt.jpg

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

@Hunchy - Also try the Process Lasso updates to fix CPU Affinity. I had issues with stuttering that using PL took care of... My post on that is earlier in this thread.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

I may have not pushed the testing enough to see any ghosting. I will see if I can get that to occur. I see them talking about it on the Oculus ASW but it sounds like the reprojection can be more exaggerated (take a much lower FPS and project it up to 90 FPS) than WMR or SteamVR reprojection. It shuts down at the lower FPS (somewhere below 60 FPS) where that is noticeable in Auto? I may try it on all of the time for a short bit. I bet I will see it then.

How is the ghosting? Reprojection always introduced ghosting of objects like other planes or buildings - especially during rolling manouvers as the reprojection probably couldn't predict the excact position of small fast moving objects. The landscape was buttery smooth but the ghosting objects were a big turn off.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

That honestly didn't look like a trustworthy website to begin with. I've never heard of them and was surprised to see its in Ohio.

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from Provantage in the past. I stopped because their S&H was getting way too expensive. But ShopBLT.com just informed me that my Reverb is shipping after all. So check them out. You can see the actual inventory by warehouse.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Flickering and strobing

My 5 day old Reverb is back in its box ready to go back to HP. After around 20 minutes I get the occasional flicker which increases slowly to an uncomfortable rate. It then recedes to be replaced by what can only be described as light strobing. Like being next to the A10 in the dark with its strobe lights on, but faster!

And clearly I’m not alone with these issues. Good job I’m not a Photosensitive Epilepsy sufferer...

Back in my rift

i7 7700 @ 4.7GHz--GTX1080ti--Samsung SSD 500GB--32 gigs of RAM--TH Warthog--Crosswinds rudder--HP Reverb--Dedicated Sim room.

Did you do the mod with the zip ties on the cable to the back of the headset? I 'm a little worried now and may do that straight away to try to prevent flickering

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

@Secoda

Thanks for posting your settings. Interesting that you have the Nvidia Power Management mode set to "Optimal Power". I have heard it is always best to set it on to "Prefer Maximum Performance". Oh well, you seem to be getting better performance than me with a 2080 (I have a 2080ti) so I will give it a go.

@Nagilem

Thanks for the tip, I will try out Process Lasso.

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from Provantage in the past. I stopped because their S&H was getting way too expensive. But ShopBLT.com just informed me that my Reverb is shipping after all. So check them out. You can see the actual inventory by warehouse.
Yea I was considering them but in case I need to return I may wait for Amazon, Best buy, or Microsoft store since those two stores are near me. Seeing how people are having some issues with the reverb screens flickering and stuff, maybe I should wait.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

My 5 day old Reverb is back in its box ready to go back to HP. After around 20 minutes I get the occasional flicker which increases slowly to an uncomfortable rate. It then recedes to be replaced by what can only be described as light strobing. Like being next to the A10 in the dark with its strobe lights on, but faster!

And clearly I’m not alone with these issues. Good job I’m not a Photosensitive Epilepsy sufferer...

Back in my rift

HP has delayed shipment probably due to the issue you and others are having. The next batch may be better...that's what I am hoping.

Yea I was considering them but in case I need to return I may wait for Amazon, Best buy, or Microsoft store since those two stores are near me. Seeing how people are having some issues with the reverb screens flickering and stuff, maybe I should wait.

Your self-control is at an 11. Mine is like 0.5 when it comes to technology, CNC, power tools and books. :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Your self-control is at an 11. Mine is like 0.5 when it comes to technology, CNC, power tools and books. :D
Believe me I'm the same way with technology/gadgets but I haven't flown in over a month so I may as well wait and be surprised at the resolution compared to my original Odyssey. Hopefully the VR update will be out by the time I get one and I was really hoping the A10 textures updates would be available too but it doesn't look like it. I've been stuck on the enemy within 3.0 mission 12 for a long time now and is rather try it again in the new headset lol.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Believe me I'm the same way with technology/gadgets but I haven't flown in over a month so I may as well wait and be surprised at the resolution compared to my original Odyssey. Hopefully the VR update will be out by the time I get one and I was really hoping the A10 textures updates would be available too but it doesn't look like it. I've been stuck on the enemy within 3.0 mission 12 for a long time now and is rather try it again in the new headset lol.

I hear you. Good times for Hog VR pilots ahead!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I think I noticed no difference and probably just left it there.

I cannot get the ghosting to occur. I still think the reason is because the reprojection stops when the FPS get slower when set to Auto.

@Secoda

Thanks for posting your settings. Interesting that you have the Nvidia Power Management mode set to "Optimal Power". I have heard it is always best to set it on to "Prefer Maximum Performance". Oh well, you seem to be getting better performance than me with a 2080 (I have a 2080ti) so I will give it a go.

@Nagilem

Thanks for the tip, I will try out Process Lasso.

Edited by Secoda

Im thinking to buy HP Reverb,

... but now Im thinking to delay the new order.

Too many issues with black screen, flickering and cable problem (probably the cable and this connector is the main reason here).

https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-release-date-delay-slip-out-of-stock/

Many raported this here on blue forum, check it also:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/hp-reverb.18850476/page-9

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/43948-reverb-new-offering-from-hp/page/9/?tab=comments#comment-785336

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/43948-reverb-new-offering-from-hp/page/9/?tab=comments#comment-785314

it looks like a serious problem that grows after few days of using this headset from the first wave. :(

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Euhm.. i have No issues with my reverb! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Stupid question.... but if DCS mirrors the helmet display onto the monitor, does that mean it is only rendering the lower of VR headset / monitor resolution ?

It just struck me that although I have a Reverb, my monitor is only 1440p and in DCS I cannot change the resolution beyond this. From the settings screenshots of those saying it's sooo clear - looks like they also have 4K monitors attached ?

This response is from HP about flickering.

Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements:

Processor: Intel core i5 6th Gen CPU (or better) or AMD FX-4350 4.2Ghz (or better)

Graphics solution: NVIDIA GTX 1080 (or better)

Memory: 8GB DDR RAM

Available Storage: 10 GB

USB port: 1 USB 3.0

Video port: 1 DisplayPort version 1.3

Make sure your headset is connected directly to a USB 3.0 port and to a DisplayPort (not using adapters, docks, or converters).

This response is from HP about flickering.

Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements:

Processor: Intel core i5 6th Gen CPU (or better) or AMD FX-4350 4.2Ghz (or better)

Graphics solution: NVIDIA GTX 1080 (or better)

Memory: 8GB DDR RAM

Available Storage: 10 GB

USB port: 1 USB 3.0

Video port: 1 DisplayPort version 1.3

Make sure your headset is connected directly to a USB 3.0 port and to a DisplayPort (not using adapters, docks, or converters).

RTX2080Ti has for example Display Port version 1.4.

So what about that?

https://www.displayport.org/faq/

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm sending my Reverb back to HP.

After a week or so of trying hard, I'm afraid that the only things in its favour compared to my Vive Pro are resolution and SDE. Everything else is, IMO, worse - build quality, comfort, audio headset and the sound quality, colour saturation, dynamic range, the horrible cable, and, maybe worst of all, WMR.

I literally can't deal with the faffing around with WMR. When it works, it works OK, but having to adopt a hit and miss approach to getting DCS running - is it SteamVr first, or WMR or DCS? Who knows, but all this multi layered platform thing - there are 4 when running DCS - is too much. There are issues with the mouse not working in the DCS window because of priorities in how the layers should be loaded. Then there are missing laser pointer issues, etc. etc.

I will never complain about SteamVR again! (I know there are plans for native DCS support, but when will that happen?)

To add to all this, I have had black screens, audio cutting out which is fixed by tapping on the headset and a dimming that occurs after a quick flicker after about a minute of putting on the HMD. I could have dealt with all those if the rest of the experience had been better.

So, I am waiting now for the Valve Index with great anticipation.

Shame, as I really was looking forward to the Reverb blowing me away.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The only issue I've had with mine so far was the problem with seeing the edges of the lenses in the form of dancing blue halos when I moved my eyes. As it turns out, I hadn't quite gotten proficient at adjusting the straps, and it was just squeezing the hell out of my face. That was stretching the edges of my ocular cavities too and causing things to be a little blurry. No more problems there.

I have already found out that the extender cable I bought (so I can watch 3D movies on my couch) doesn't work with the Reverb, but I remember different HDMI versions being sensitive to whether or not the cable itself was certified for that version, so this is probably something similar to that.

On the subject of the flickering. So far I haven't had that, but I did find that switching the WMR refresh rate from Auto to 60Hz produced a really annoying flicker. I have it forced to 90Hz now and everything is fine. Since the default setting is Auto, could the flickering people are seeing maybe be induced by WMR intermittently switching back and forth between refresh rates? Not sure. Just throwing that out there as an idea. If that possibility has already been addressed a few pages back, forgive me, the thread IS over 160 pages now. :D How about Windows power management settings for things like USB power? I have all of that stuff set to never turn off or go into a low power mode, so maybe that's what's causing problems for others?

So far, this is great in DCS. I just have to tweak the in-game IPD to make things look right again. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

So you have a 2080ti - is it one of the ones about to burn out, did you upgrade your power supply, are you using a hub? Are you loosening the connector against your chair- why the connection is where it is, is poor industrial design. There is more than one point of failure, maybe you really got a bad one and need to exchange it. Maybe, call HP tech support, real answers may emerge when they can look at your setup/settings and we can get solid answers from the developer.

RTX2080Ti has for example Display Port version 1.4.

So what about that?

https://www.displayport.org/faq/

So you have a 2080ti ...

It was the question about 1.4 (not 1.3 like from HP support), I havent Reverb.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif