Valve Index Hands On

aileron

If the FPS counter of the Index shows 60 FPS, it actually delivers 120 FPS for each eye.

ASW, Reprojection etc, is not meant to be disabled in VR.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People interested in VR will check this forum first.

Like I did.

I think the VR cult here is doing more harm than good by praising an implementation that has very poor performance compared to other VR games, and even the same game in 4k.

It's really inexcusable.

Why do you insist on calling VR enthusiasts participating in the - wait for it - DCS VR forum, a VR Cult?

I find that rather disparaging and unneeded.

You want to debate the merits of VR - that is fine, but coming in here and labeling VR as not ready for everyone and for those that are enjoying it as a Cult is quite cynical.

It sounds like VR is not ready for you - you cannot make that determination for any others than yourself. No VR enthusiasts are doing the same to those that currently do not like VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

People interested in VR will check this forum first.

Like I did.

I think the VR cult here is doing more harm than good by praising an implementation that has very poor performance compared to other VR games, and even the same game in 4k.

It's really inexcusable.

The fact is , you did not research well before your purchase , and clearly did not appreciate the subjective nature of experience . I , and i am sure many others , read every scrap i could find on VR in these forums before taking the leap . And i am so glad i did take that leap -with a CV1 .

Grow up , and take responsibility for your own ill-informed decisions .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

My only VR gaming interest are sit down flight sims, just wondering if it's possible to get by with out the controllers using one "light house" ?.

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

My only VR gaming interest are sit down flight sims, just wondering if it's possible to get by with out the controllers using one "light house" ?.

I have researched this thoroughly , and the answer is yes !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Valve Index Hands On

I often play DCS in complete darkness with both controllers off and sometimes only one lighthouse. So you don’t need a controller or both lighthouses to play, but you may need one controller for the initial headset set up and there might be some circumstances that require trigger button press (not 100% sure). There is a system button on the bottom left of the headset but no equivalent trigger button.

If you want to avoid buying the Index controller due to cost then a used Vive wand from eBay will do, but keep in mind that version 2 of the lighthouse base is only compatible with version 2 of the wand, whereas version 1 lighthouse is fully compatible with old and new wands.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I often play DCS in complete darkness with both controllers off and sometimes only one lighthouse. So you don’t need a controller or both lighthouses to play, but you may need one controller for the initial headset set up and there might be some circumstances that require trigger button press (not 100% sure). There is a system button on the bottom left of the headset but no equivalent trigger button.

If you want to avoid buying the Index controller due to cost then a used Vive wand from eBay will do, but keep in mind that version 2 of the lighthouse base is only compatible with version 2 of the wand, whereas version 1 lighthouse is fully compatible with old and new wands.

I asked this very question on this thread and received the following reply-from an Index owner , who , it turns out , is you :) . Have you since found something new , or does seated setup still only require a mouse ?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3966988&postcount=382

It's really inexcusable.

I don’t know you, nor your axe to grind; but I get 50-65 frames on 120hz... with a decent PC but nothing crazy good. You sound like a wagon horse salesman trying to convince people that automobiles suck.

I honestly don’t know what you are talking about.

Maybe a placebo, but i just found out about the stereo_mode_use_shared_parser option in the graphics.lua. It seems to stabilize my framerate and maybe boost a little.

To activate it, create this file:

C:\Users\<YOUR-LOGIN>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg

and add the following line:

options.graphics.stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true

I also thought using the latest openvr api couldn't harm, get it here:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/blob/master/bin/win64/openvr_api.dll

and place it in your \DCS World\bin folder (backup the original file)

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I don’t know you, nor your axe to grind; but I get 50-65 frames on 120hz... with a decent PC but nothing crazy good. You sound like a wagon horse salesman trying to convince people that automobiles suck.

I honestly don’t know what you are talking about.

Turn down the details and you can get whatever frame rate you want.

I can get 100+ on 4k with high everything.

VR has fewer pixels but far less performance.

How is this acceptable?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How is this acceptable?

That is because VR is different.

It has to calculate and render two different view points for every frame.

It is much tougher on the hardware, indipendently from the resolution

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

How is this acceptable?

I'm interested in how much FPS are really lost between a 4k monitor an a VR like Index or Reverb. Can you please provide a screenshot comparison with the 100+ FPS and the same scenario with 4k? (No supersampling. Just as much pixels rendered as can be shown by the displays.)

@whoever was complaining about VR here... Can't be arsed to check who it was...

It has more to do with calculating the location of objects in 3D space for a VR setup vs. a single view setup.

The number if pixels it all gets broken down into is relevant but not as much as placing objects. Other games don't run the HUGE environments that we do, which are ALSO loaded down with ENTIRE TOWNS, railways, trees, light poles, power lines, Civ traffic...

Seriously...

Try to think about what you say before you say it OK :)...

I'm not trying to say that the VR implementation in DCS is perfect... I'm sure it could be improved (Look at Kegety's mod for example)... but it's good enough that for a long time I ran a Vive on a 970 and a 4.2Ghz i5-3500K...

If you prefer 4K... Then go run it. I have a 4K monitor and a Vive. The Vive beats it hands down. It's not a VR problem entirely. There are LOTS of people who prefer it in DCS. It's a you problem. YOU aren't willing to get over the issues you see with DCS in VR. I am. It's all good man :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I'm interested in how much FPS are really lost between a 4k monitor an a VR like Index or Reverb. Can you please provide a screenshot comparison with the 100+ FPS and the same scenario with 4k? (No supersampling. Just as much pixels rendered as can be shown by the displays.)

The Valve Index is equipped with two LCD screens featuring a 1440×1600 resolution per eye (2880×1600 combined resolution).

4,608,000 pixels total

4k is 3840 x 2160 pixels

8,294,400 pixels total

I'm getting double the FPS in 4k compared with VR.

The Valve Index has 55% of the pixels of 4k. That means that DCS 4k has 4x better performance than the Index in DCS VR.

There's something seriously wrong with DCS VR. And the quality of in-game textures, models, lighting is far better in 4k anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

just double the performance you´re counting for VR, then you should be fine.

With VR there are regularly two frames per second rendered ( left and right eye simultaneously ).

If you so will, the Index renders at 240 FPS.

But please don´t tell anyone, that I have said this nonsense.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

@remi

You don't know what you are talking about. Every VR HMD has it's panel resolutions and a rendertarget which is higher because of predistortions which have to calculated before rendered in the headset. So for panel res of the Index the 1.0x or 100% super sampling resolution is 1.4x the panel resolution = 2016 x 2240 per eye. This means 9.031.680 pixels for both panels.

For 2080ti users SteamVR sets the standard resolution even higher -> SS 150% ! (2468x2740) This means DCS is pushing 13.524.640 pixels and delivers a clean and sharp image in the HMD running at 45fps if locked in motion smoothing.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

@remi

You don't know what you are talking about. Every VR HMD has it's panel resolutions and a rendertarget which is higher because of predistortions which have to calculated before rendered in the headset. So for panel res of the Index the 1.0x or 100% super sampling resolution is 1.4x the panel resolution = 2016 x 2240 per eye. This means 9.031.680 pixels for both panels.

For 2080ti users SteamVR sets the standard resolution even higher -> SS 150% ! (2468x2740) This means DCS is pushing 13.524.640 pixels and delivers a clean and sharp image in the HMD running at 45fps if locked in motion smoothing.

Thanks for that.

Will it ever be possible to avoid this overhead rendering? E.g. when a game knows that a HMD is used to avoid distortion. And: how would the VR experience look like if it was possible to render and send the native resolution to the HMD?

The way predistortions are applied is very dependent on the optics system used in each HMD, so the best strategy will always be the vendors vr-compositor software with calibrated predistortions for each individual HMD. It would be way too much effort for a game developer to implement all those variations and possibilities.

Atm, we are many years away from "native resolution to HMD", since 2016 the resolutions got a good bump up, but we would need so much more pixel density for panels and render power to fight aliasing and get "monitor-sharpness". Look how far you have to sit away from a modern lcd monitor to not notify any pixels, now imagine that this panel has to be huge enough to fill your FOV completely. VR will be there someday, i'm sure, but i'm also glad that everything that's possible today makes it already very enjoyable. I'm never going back to flatgaming, i can't take it seriously anymore. Why should i look through a tank drivers slit, when i can see everything around me?

The way predistortions are applied is very dependent on the optics system used in each HMD, so the best strategy will always be the vendors vr-compositor software with calibrated predistortions for each individual HMD. It would be way too much effort for a game developer to implement all those variations and possibilities.

Atm, we are many years away from "native resolution to HMD", since 2016 the resolutions got a good bump up, but we would need so much more pixel density for panels and render power to fight aliasing and get "monitor-sharpness". Look how far you have to sit away from a modern lcd monitor to not notify any pixels, now imagine that this panel has to be huge enough to fill your FOV completely. VR will be there someday, i'm sure, but i'm also glad that everything that's possible today makes it already very enjoyable. I'm never going back to flatgaming, i can't take it seriously anymore. Why should i look through a tank drivers slit, when i can see everything around me?

thanks a lot for your explanation :thumbup:

REMI=Troll

Agreed. Please DON'T feed the Troll.

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

Valve Index Hands On

For people who wear glasses but don’t want the hassle. Zenni sells pretty cheap glasses. Make sure you use that particular glass frame and pick IPD 69.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

So I have the Reverb and it looks quite washed out compared to the OLED Vive Pro.

I also have the Index inbound. Is the colors and contrast terrible on the Index LCD panels too?

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

So I have the Reverb and it looks quite washed out compared to the OLED Vive Pro.

I also have the Index inbound. Is the colors and contrast terrible on the Index LCD panels too?

Yep, that was one of the reasons why I sent my Reverb back.

Like you, I’m waiting on the Index now.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box