F18 RADAR is driving me insane!!

blunt_waco

So in fact, in hundreds of hours, the Hornet radar is unreliable in the BVR to ACM modes, and you didn’t even address the MP bugs I mentioned that ED have confirmed exist.....
Read again, that is not my statement. As i say it never lets me down. I feel confident in the a2a role.

In fact it happens that in MP i almost never use the radar for close encounters, the aim9x/jhmcs is just too good and dont require radar lock but that is a different topic, I still dont see where you have a problem when you use HACQ/LHAQ.

So again, if you say you had to leave the hornet parked because of the radar and how buggy it is, let that me and the hundreds of fellow hornets pilots flying in every mp server send you a big smile.

Edited by falcon_120

The emotions that pop up in some of these post do not help to get on top of things. Having said that, I belong to those who are struggling with the complexities of the radar system, and get utterly frustrated at times. A recurring issue I encounter is that after some action in BVR and ACM, the radar beam is locked in center position and I don't find how to get it back to scanning mode.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Just want to yolo in and say I have no issues with the Hornet radar at all.

I stay in TWS for the entire flight and have zero issues acquiring the target Im looking for, even inside of 10nm. It totally baffles me that people are still flying around in RWS and using LTWS to engage enemy aircraft... why would you do this?

Use TWS like a real man and all your problems will be solved :D

I also have zero problems with any of the ACM modes, but I don't see them as some magic tool that will instantly find the guy Im looking for. I get that AACQ is still WIP and that can be frustrating but tbh the only ACM modes you really need in the Hornet is HACQ and LHAQ.

As long as your SA isn't total mince then you should always know roughly where your target is and using the HMD to acquire him is childs play easy.

No disrespect to anyone who actually is struggling with it but to me its obvious you just don't know how to use it properly. If it was as terrible as some of you make out, I would have noticed by now.

I'm certainly not invincible but everytime I fly the Hornet I shoot people in the face, and I fly against some of the best PvP pilots in the community from lots of very talented Squadrons from around the world, so I refuse to believe that the radar is as hopeless as some of you make out.

Cold hard truth... if you you think the radar flat out sucks.. you are not using it properly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;4236282']Just want to yolo in and say I have no issues with the Hornet radar at all.

I stay in TWS for the entire flight and have zero issues acquiring the target Im looking for, even inside of 10nm. It totally baffles me that people are still flying around in RWS and using LTWS to engage enemy aircraft... why would you do this?

Use TWS like a real man and all your problems will be solved :D

I also have zero problems with any of the ACM modes, but I don't see them as some magic tool that will instantly find the guy Im looking for. I get that AACQ is still WIP and that can be frustrating but tbh the only ACM modes you really need in the Hornet is HACQ and LHAQ.

As long as your SA isn't total mince then you should always know roughly where your target is and using the HMD to acquire him is childs play easy.

No disrespect to anyone who actually is struggling with it but to me its obvious you just don't know how to use it properly. If it was as terrible as some of you make out, I would have noticed by now.

I'm certainly not invincible but everytime I fly the Hornet I shoot people in the face, and I fly against some of the best PvP pilots in the community from lots of very talented Squadrons from around the world, so I refuse to believe that the radar is as hopeless as some of you make out.

Cold hard truth... if you you think the radar flat out sucks.. you are not using it properly.

I agree with your post in general, I just wanted to point out that the reason some people might use LTWS instead of TWS is because TWS is currently bugged and does not provide good mid-course guidance. Depending on the target's actions, this might not be an apparent issue, but it happens nonetheless.

Also, since talking about it, I prefer to stay in RWS/LTWS for better SA and then switch to TWS when I'm about to commit to a specific group and perform target sorting. No point being constrained by the reduced scan volume at 80 NM (unless you want to, in which case, TWS all day long :joystick:).

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

F18 radar is frustrating me. I made a test mission and assigned su33 at 15,000 feet with radar ready for search. I fly at the same altitude and set radar for 80miles, 4 bars and 80 azimuth angle. Top of TDC shows 24,000 feet at 40 miles. RWR shows the su but radar doesn't. What's going on?

I was trying different bars 2/4/6 and I changed distance as well 40/60/80/160 and still nothing.

You are not alone. I have no issue seeing raw paint from hostile aircraft offline but online I do not see any. Friendlies work both online and off line. So, yes for me and a few other on our wing their is an issue but I believe it is net code related rather than the radar.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

The emotions that pop up in some of these post do not help to get on top of things. Having said that, I belong to those who are struggling with the complexities of the radar system, and get utterly frustrated at times. A recurring issue I encounter is that after some action in BVR and ACM, the radar beam is locked in center position and I don't find how to get it back to scanning mode.
Sorry if my posts sounded emotional, was not my intention, i'm sure many people still struggles with the radar, but i'm convinced that the underlying problem is not properly undertanding radars in general, not just the hornet one. Because as some posters including myself the stupid aacq bug can be perfectly sorted out. Other than that you should not experience any serious drawback that should make you avoid the hornet, totally the opposite.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

You are not alone. I have no issue seeing raw paint from hostile aircraft offline but online I do not see any. Friendlies work both online and off line. So, yes for me and a few other on our wing their is an issue but I believe it is net code related rather than the radar.

I've experienced this as well.

I've experienced this as well.

Not only in the F18. The Tomcat radar is terible in MP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

this is drving me nuts so maybe anyone got an idea.

Currently regardless of MODE of Radar (TWS or RWS). I will lose lock precisely the moment I launch an AIM-120C... it's like he Missile is blocking the radar.

Worse still you can't re-obtain a lock as the radar will rather immediately pick up a target 120nm away instead of the two ship I just tried to intercept at 25nm heading for me.

So you forfeit every advantage you have and next you know you're dodging missiles because you can't get a lock.

Any ideas?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue. Finally trying to get a handle on one of the planes. SA shows targets, Targeting Radar... Nothing, even when I am ontop of them. It doesn't even work in the Training Mission that comes with the F18 for the AMRAAM. Yellow triangles at the top, but no bricks to slew and lock on to.

Spend 2 minutes creating a mission in the editor, your Hornet vs a big slow Tu-142 Bear; don't touch any of your default radar settings and the radar should spot it 30 miles or more away.

Then go back into the editor and add a few smaller planes and choppers and see how your radar does with them, there should be blips all over the place if they're in the frontal cone of your radar.

Usually the smaller and more modern the plane, the shorter the range will be at which your radar will be able to spot it.

(also some might have radar jammers or something)

And like I said, leave your radar on default settings at first and only tweak them later to see what they do.

PS- If you've got Sidewinders you don't need to lock up the target with the radar anyway, just fire when the missile begins screeching.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Hi guys,

this is drving me nuts so maybe anyone got an idea.

Currently regardless of MODE of Radar (TWS or RWS). I will lose lock precisely the moment I launch an AIM-120C... it's like he Missile is blocking the radar.

Worse still you can't re-obtain a lock as the radar will rather immediately pick up a target 120nm away instead of the two ship I just tried to intercept at 25nm heading for me.

So you forfeit every advantage you have and next you know you're dodging missiles because you can't get a lock.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Same issue. Finally trying to get a handle on one of the planes. SA shows targets, Targeting Radar... Nothing, even when I am ontop of them. It doesn't even work in the Training Mission that comes with the F18 for the AMRAAM. Yellow triangles at the top, but no bricks to slew and lock on to.

Just to make sure you dont have the same issue I had, please make sure the radar elevation indicator carrot on the left side of the radar page is not stuck at the very top so the radar is pointing straight up. Mine was defaulting to that and because I never messes with it before It took me awhile to realize it. Then if it is pointing to the top just slew it down to the middle of the radar elevation range.

949676072_f18radar.thumb.jpg.79ea222fa41777b02a7c706e840a96d3.jpg

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.