Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

VR or upgrade Monitor?

Maverick1202

I also have VR, and love Half Life Alyx, for example, but only fly with TrackIR and my awesome ultrawide monitor. Despite all the people saying you won't go back, I did. Can you try it at a friend's house or something?

I just think it's too much trouble. Games like Half Life significantly change how they are played in VR, but for flight sims, while cool-looking right when starting, the effect wore off on me. After which everything was just harder - spotting, reading my gauges, checking six, using the keyboard, the setup, maintaining performance, the weight of the headset, the sweat, the nausea, etc

Basically I just jump back in occasionally just to see what it's like to be in the cockpit of a new plane I'm learning, but after the initial look, just go back to TrackIR for normal playing.

That's why I suggested trying it if at all possible. Despite what some people say, it's not a guaranteed slam dunk.

I'm the same. VR was cool for a little bit, but it also has huge negatives. High refresh wide-screen with TrackIR over VR for me.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

NO VR = No gaming for me.

I love being in the minority.

:thumbup:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

NO VR = No gaming for me.

I love being in the minority.

:thumbup:

Same here. Happy enough in the subjects here that I like, that I don't feel the need to go places I don't like. VR is the only way for me. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

In the "collapsed form" the chair takes only a 50 x 50 cm area, and I can pick it up and place it where ever I want if needed.

If I want to move the chair to another location, I can just unplug VR from rear of the PC, unplug to USB cables from front of the PC and then just carry the chair with everything on it to car and transport it. It is more difficult really to even take a keyboard and mouse with me than that chair with all flight controllers on it and VR. And my keyboard and mouse are wireless... :-D

I did design my chair so that I can build the PC inside it. So all that I would need is to plug a AC cable to wall and it has complete set in it. All wires would come from inside, the Windows desktop is used by the Oculus desktop casting etc. This so that I could just take the chair from handles, move it to other location for demo or for co-op and be there without keyboard and mouse even!

This sounds cool. So you designed it and built it yourself. Awesome. Share some pics / info if you want.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Thank you for all of your input! I wish I knew someone that had VR flying DCS that I could demo here in Arizona. Wish there was a way to try before buying. It sounds like a great experience especially while I'm upgrading my system right now. I'm currently attracted to the Alienware laptops vs. upgrading my motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card in my currently system case. It's appealing to just buy a power gaming rig all complete and not mess with the upgrading. Buy the laptop gaming rig and put it on top of a laptop cooler with fans? I know it's better to have a desktop but the laptop gaming rigs are coming pretty much loaded these days (as long as I spend the money for the power house). I'm also quite a power user for work and need a power house to do my work. Oh the choices and selection process... Then we consider upgrading our old monitors and we have choices there. 34" UW curved vs. VR, etc. I'm trying hard not to over analyze everything but it's hard not to. I have about $3000 - $3500 for a budget. Looking to upgrade my aging mouse and keyboard as well. Might as well. Looking at the Warthog HOTAS. I currently have an x52 setup with a Trackr 5. The only thing I think I would consider keeping is my system case, my 250 GB SSD, a few 1 tb drives, my power supply and of course my Trackr if I do not get VR. So, that is why I'm looking at just buying a new system...

Edited by Maverick1202

It's really interesting reading these comments of VR or not to VR. I have tried it once at a relative's house using a fairly low end VR headset and Elite Dangerous and to be honest I was blown away by the experience. You really need to try it to grasp how much of a game changer it really is. I'm still widescreen monitor and trackIR but starting to get enticed into going VR in DCS. What are the top headsets then at present May 2020 is it the Oculus Rift S and the Reverb or is there something better out there?

It's really interesting reading these comments of VR or not to VR. I have tried it once at a relative's house using a fairly low end VR headset and Elite Dangerous and to be honest I was blown away by the experience. You really need to try it to grasp how much of a game changer it really is. I'm still widescreen monitor and trackIR but starting to get enticed into going VR in DCS. What are the top headsets then at present May 2020 is it the Oculus Rift S and the Reverb or is there something better out there?

There is no such thing as better or worse . They all have their pluses and minuses , and your individual usages , preferences , ipd and cranial physique all must be taken into account .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I am VR content developer so I have pretty much all the major VR headsets. Which I brought home now thanks to quarantine. Of all the headsets, I use Vive Pro for DCS. It's more costly than others and older too but still is the best design and best tracking.

I demo'ed VR to hundreds of people in all ages and the priorities are Tracking, Resolution, Ergonomics in that order.

If I had to buy one now, I'd go for Vive Cosmos Elite. External tracking is better than inside out tracking and Vive's Lighthouse tracking still is the best. Their sensors are not active but passive. All it does is fill up the space with clouds of infrared pulses which are picked up by the headset and controllers. So with just 2 sensors, it tracks all angles. Even looking down. And it also tracks multiple headsets with just 2 sensors with no occlusions.

Oculus Rift sensors were active sensors and known for losing tracking when you turn around. Which meant having to buy 3rd sensor behind you which took another USB port. It appears Oculus is eliminating their external sensors going forward and only doing inside out tracking because their original sensors were inferior.

Edited by Taz1004

I am VR content developer so I have pretty much all the major VR headsets. Which I brought home now thanks to quarantine. Of all the headsets, I use Vive Pro for DCS. It's more costly than others and older too but still is the best design and best tracking.

I demo'ed VR to hundreds of people in all ages and the priorities are Tracking, Resolution, Ergonomics in that order.

If I had to buy one now, I'd go for Vive Cosmos Elite. External tracking is better than inside out tracking and Vive's Lighthouse tracking still is the best. Their sensors are not active but passive. All it does is fill up the space with clouds of infrared pulses which are picked up by the headset and controllers. So with just 2 sensors, it tracks all angles. Even looking down. And it also tracks multiple headsets with just 2 sensors with no occlusions.

Oculus Rift sensors were active sensors and known for losing tracking when you turn around. Which meant having to buy 3rd sensor behind you which took another USB port. It appears Oculus is eliminating their external sensors going forward and only doing inside out tracking because their original sensors were inferior.

I suspect Oculus went to their Insight tracking more because of cost, and ease of setup.

If I were to buy a new headset today I would probably pick the Valve Index.

Only reason I am not is I really do not want to spend that much money on a VR Headset.

If their next headset has inside/out tracking I will likely be all over it.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I suspect Oculus went to their Insight tracking more because of cost, and ease of setup.

That's part of it but they wouldn't get rid of it if it had any advantages to the inside out tracking. Oculus sensors were not much better than current inside out tracking.

Vive has inside out tracking HMD too but they didn't get rid of sensors.

That's part of it but they wouldn't get rid of it if it had any advantages to the inside out tracking. Oculus sensors were not much better than current inside out tracking.

Vive has inside out tracking HMD too but they didn't get rid of sensors.

I have both Rift CV1 and Rift S. My CV1 tracking is certainly better, but my Rift S is close enough for me and I like the simplicity of the setup. Only issue I have with Rift S tracking is occasional glitches when I hold the controllers to close to the headset. But it is not bad enough to affect my gameplay really. And of course with flight sims tracking is superb.

Don B

I have both Rift CV1 and Rift S. My CV1 tracking is certainly better, but my Rift S is close enough for me and I like the simplicity of the setup. Only issue I have with Rift S tracking is occasional glitches when I hold the controllers to close to the headset. But it is not bad enough to affect my gameplay really. And of course with flight sims tracking is superb.

Quite agree . I came out of vr a couple of days ago to find the room dark . RiftS was still tracking perfectly in DCS .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Simple answer, go get a rift s in amazon so you know you can test it and give it back if its not of your pleasure.

I'm one of those that cant get back to a monitor. Its not even appealing after feeling you are in a fighter with its full size glory and turning your head back to check six in a dogfight, or feeling the speed at low level.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

It depends on people. You say it's not "bad enough" but once you try something better, it's hard to go back.

I say tracking is the highest priority because some people just can't handle even minor glitches. I've seen people take the headset off as soon as there's stutter with Rift S. More like throw it off. But even 70 year old corporate executives were using Vive for hours.

Again, these are only my recommendation based on my experience with most headsets.

and I like the simplicity of the setup.

Also regarding the simplicity of the setup. I'd agree with you in comparison to original Rift. Sensor position and USB ports it takes up is just stupidity. But Vive Lighthouse can be placed almost anywhere as long as they see each other. And only need to be connected to power outlet.

And just for the sake of being fair and thorough, I'll point out one major flaw of Vive. Since their sensors fill a space with infrared clouds, if too much of those infrared escapes, tracking fails. So huge open space or room with huge windows would be bad for Vive. We always had to put curtains or dividers in such cases. Their Base Stations 2.0 cover larger spaces but does not come with Cosmos Elite.

Edited by Taz1004

I just got my HP Reverb, which was ment to replace my 32inch 4k screen for DCS (+TrackIR).

From this special point of view, my personal recommendation currently: Upgrade your Monitor, but not necessarely wide-screen. I am sending the Reverb back.

Main reasons for this decision:

1. Even with the HP Reverb having 2160² pixels resolution per Eye, I feel like counting pixels coming from my 4k-Screen. Its sharpness is currently unbeatable for me (it's placed about 50cm in front of my eye)

Of course, this is extremely subjective. Compared to my old 27inch full HD Monitor, the sharpness from the Reverb would be quite ok.

2. About why I would not take wide screen:

My biggest WOW-Effect on the Reverb was actually the gain of field of view vertically. In my plane while making a turn: Looking up is just amaizing. This is what I miss most on my Monitor.

I even think, that having 4:3 Screen-Ratio with 4k would be even greater than 16:9.

3. The image in the/my HP Reverb is blurred at the side, when only moving the eyes (I've read that this is quite of normal for VR).

But this forces me to move the head 100% towards the thing I want to look at. This is espacially painfull, when you have to read buttons on the control panel on the sides, or look to the back.

Secondary Reasons:

3. The "Overhead" of tweaking performance with extra shader mods and other special settings, keeping all up to date - I dont like this much. But maybe I am only too old.

4. I deadly missed the possibility to "quickly" type stuff on keyboard. Beside of mouse and hotas, I feel kind of blind.

I desperately hope, that in two to four years, I can upgrade my PC again and get 4k*4k per Eye VR. With a little more Field of view as well.

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

I just got my HP Reverb, which was ment to replace my 32inch 4k screen for DCS (+TrackIR).

From this special point of view, my personal recommendation currently: Upgrade your Monitor, but not necessarely wide-screen. I am sending the Reverb back.

I don't know how long "just" is but I strongly suggest you trying it a bit longer. At least until your return window. VR does take some time to get used to and once you get used to, there's no going back.

Your reasons are valid and we all hope those get better. But purpose of VR is immersion rather than fidelity.

It depends on people. You say it's not "bad enough" but once you try something better, it's hard to go back.

I say tracking is the highest priority because some people just can't handle even minor glitches. I've seen people take the headset off as soon as there's stutter with Rift S. More like throw it off. But even 70 year old corporate executives were using Vive for hours.

Again, these are only my recommendation based on my experience with most headsets.

LOL anyone prone to "throw it off" probably does not need to be using a VR headset.

CV1 tracking was certainly more solid than Rift S, however Rift S tracking with it's 5 cameras is still quite good.

Don B

monitor only for editing missions. Other than that, VR, it´s the way to fly.

Testing missions in a monitor has become a massive pain for me after 2 years of flying VR.

Traffic patterns, approaches, carrier ops, formation flying, refuel, dogfight... everything feels easier because of benefits such as 1:1 tracking and being surrounded by a 3d world.

Not to mention looking back and seeing Jester working ;)

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle