DCS MiG-29A

Krippz

Though I certainly wouldn't be against this

I feel as though the Su-27SK would be a nicer choice because it would better satisfy those which want something that would potentially fare better vs modern noughties teen series fighters, provided the missiles get reworked and the avionics do too (such as intra flight data link)

It would also allow for at least a depiction of reserve elements of a near peer adversaries air power

Given the manual was unclassified in 2004 it begs to question why even this version isn't considered as a FF module

Umm, unclassified in 2004, really?

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Range against a typical 3 sq m RCS fighter target is 25-35km search and 20-35km tracking when host aircraft is flying above 3000m. When flying from 1000m to 3000m altitude, range is reduced to 20-35km search and 18-35km track. When flying at 500-1000m achievable range is just 15-30km search and 13-25km tracking.

Documentation says otherwise. It gives about 65-75 km at high altitude and 10% less when lookdown against a 3m2 target. Knowing that it would be great to know how far could 1980s apg-65 see?

There is bug in FC3 MiG for targets in lookdown above 3000m, it only picks them up at ~40km, but it should pick them up at 60 to 70 km according to the documentation (that is almost 50% of volume less covered in lookdown than it should), and here is the chart of the ranges based on "Радиолокационный прицельный комплекс РЛПК-29 истребителя МиГ-29. Ч.1. - Рига, РВВАИУ, 1990."

attachment.php?attachmentid=237423&stc=1&d=1590583925

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

If we had a full fidelity 29 it would be a pain in the butt to use in combat.

The same can be said about the F-15C if we ever get one. They have to model things that they are allowed to model. Flaming Cliffs level of fidelity is a turn off for a lot of people....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

When it comes to the jammer on 9.13 it was Gardeniya...

Yes L203 Gardeniya-1FU

According to Oleg Samolovich from Sukhoi's memoirs, the Su-17 team lead by Zyrin refused to redesign a version with internal Gardeniya jammer (post Beka'a Valley) on the grounds it was crap and a waste of space and mass.

Heresay :) . Anyway, there are different versions of Gardeniya jammers, so even if an early version didn't work properly at one point in time, it doesn't mean that subsequent versions are dysfunctional "crap".

IRL it was not being used on MiG-29, planes had just increased fuel tank.

Incorrect - there is even a dedicated control panel for it in the cockpit. I think this misconception stems from the Moldovian 9.13 airframes(later purchased by the US), where ECM compenents had been removed and replaced by counterweights before being handed over.

But anyway, a little "off-topic" in relation to a possible DCS MiG-29 module, since this concerns the 9.12 which never had ECM.

Mmmmm the beauty that is Fulcrum

• Like 1

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

• 2 weeks later...
I guess the MiG-29A will be a nice proof of concept for ED to test the waters and it will be nice, what we really need is something like a Su-27SM3 or similar, which maybe we will get ;)

I guess that we wouldn't get an SM3 untill 2040. However, a few months ago even a full-fi 29A was thought to be impossible, and now it's being negotiated, maybe the same will happen to the more modern jets in a few years.

Edited by Nipil
  • Like 1

I guess that we wouldn't get an SM3 untill 2040. However, a few months ago even a full-fi 29A was thought to be impossible, and now it's been negotiated, maybe the same will happen to the more modern jets in a few years.
Woah, back up. Source? Or is that a translation issue? All I'm aware of is that they're maybe going to look into it. Nothing more.
Edited by Buzzles

In the late 1980s, when the MiG-29 was deployed in strenght (250 Soviet MiG-29 based in East Germany), it compared quite favourably with the Sidewinder armed F-16A/C, which was he most numerous fighter fielded by NATO in Europe. I think this provides a good basis for the MiG-29 9.12 in DCS.

We already have the MiG-29, and its GDR's camouflage...

I would buy an East / West Germany map relative to the '80s Cold War or so, details like the outposts, Berlin Wall properly featured, etc.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

biggest mistake from ED was to put in game versions of NATO planes that are from the 21st century and AIM-120B/C, not to mention AIM-9X. They killed the PvP and historical aspect of the sim, we're stuck with russian equipment from the 80s

Any server operator can limit or deny the Aim-120. More of them should. Flying the Mig-29 in multiplayer is like flying blindfolded, with only a dagger to defend yourself against a phalanx of Amraams.

It really does make me wonder what we will do with a Mig-29A. I will still buy it, but it will remain a huge underdog.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I bought the Mig-29A a couple of days ago for supporting the developers more than anything at the price it was offered ($14.99).

I don't really liked it, braking feels weird and its controls a little too sensitive, but I have it...

biggest mistake from ED was to put in game versions of NATO planes that are from the 21st century and AIM-120B/C, not to mention AIM-9X. They killed the PvP and historical aspect of the sim, we're stuck with russian equipment from the 80s

We have the same problem with thew Mirage 2000C, when you think that Mirage 2000-5F were trouncing F-16 in BVR when they first took part in NATO exercises you can understand the frustration of some, but personally I don't mind, it forces me to look for better tactical solutions while operating less performant weaponry, we will settle the score when RAZBAM will release a Mk2 or a 5F.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Woah, back up. Source? Or is that a translation issue? All I'm aware of is that they're maybe going to look into it. Nothing more.

Sorry, accidentally wrote been instead of being. As far as I understand, they are trying to find a way to get permission.

M2C is not in the same boat as the Mig29A imo. See my above remark about flying blindfolded. ;)

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

M2C is not in the same boat as the Mig29A imo. See my above remark about flying blindfolded. ;)

:thumbup:

I don't know about it, being fairly new to the game, do does it mean that if I go A2A BVR vs F-16/19 in PVP they will be limited to AIM-7?

I'm still going through training missions but I also train myself in A2A in Instant missions vs Mig-23/29 In order to learn how to dodge and decoy AAMs and use my weapons and systems.

In short, I divide tactics meant to compensate for the lack of hoomph of the Mirage 2000C weaponry, for the purpose, I play it with full cheats on, unlimited amo, fuel and invulnerable.

I'm happy when I don't get hit and kill all 4 adversaries, then I continue the mission back to base where I practice touch and go.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

:thumbup:

I don't know about it, being fairly new to the game, do does it mean that if I go A2A BVR vs F-16/19 in PVP they will be limited to AIM-7?

Not often. Only a few servers limit the Aim-120. If you want to fly a Mig-29A you will need a special combination of skill, stealth, and luck. Expect to die, a lot.