Move back default head/view position

Gun Jam

When I position myself comfortably and press the "center" view button for VR the position it gives me feels quite disproportionate to reality. when I look down the seat and the left/right consoles look very close. I feel like Im the wheelchair guy from the movie "wild wild west" with will smith. In addition to this I also feel like I'm sitting far forward in the seat and the front panel is too close to my face when I look back my real body is nice and firm against the seat back rest but I am separated from the aces II ejection seat backrest by quite a noticeable amount and when looking directly back my head position is below the what I would consider the correct headrest position on the ejection seat. Looking outside the plane and in real life photos the pilots head is much higher up into the headrest section.

This was the very first thing I noticed when loading for the first time... "woah this is all goofy looking" I didn't recall it looking that way with the old a10c module

is it just me?

Default Position is way to close to the Front Panel

Hi,

in VR the Default Position is right on the Front Panel.

If that was RL i would be sitting right at the Stick.

Please move the Position Back so that it starts where the Pilots Head would be like its done in any other Aircraft in DCS.

+1

This is also the case in the "old" A-10C. It feels really odd sitting that close to the front panel and having half a meter space to the chair rest...

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

+1. Any manual seat/head adjustment throws the HUD off which is annoying. Before it just meant looing around the corner for the steerpoint/tgp cues, but now with the GBU-54 release cue along the left edge, manual adjustments are impossible.

Can't imagine the real plane works this way. I understand complaints from IRL pilots that some things were off the edge, but are you telling me if a 5'8" pilot and a 6'2" pilot get in the plane, they have a complete advantage/disadvantage over each other because it affects how much of the hud they can see??

:huh:Wait, I thought they fixed this for the new version? There have been many discussions about this problem and one of the points for the A10 II was that the finally put the head in the right position and made the hud visible

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Default head/view position

Not a bug. First off beautiful simulation of the A-10C. The reworked sounds are absolutely amazing.

Is it just me or is the default head/view position too far forward of where a pilot’s head would be positioned against the ejection seat? I’m using TrackIR. When looking around, its hard to pan correctly to see the aft buttons on the side consoles, and it feels like I’m right up against the front instrument panel over the control stick. I’ve never sat in the seat of the A-10 so this in face may be correct. Has anyone else noticed this?

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

It is more forward than it should be. If you're using TrackIR try leaning forward and then recentering the view. This way when you sit back upright you'll lean back into a normal seated position in game.

I tried this today, seems to be a good workaround.

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

Certainly seems like it needs some refining. There was also an issue with the HUD symbology not fitting when using Track IR unless you moved forwards so wonder if this was a way to fix that issue but as you say it’s very strange when turning your head, makes using mirrors difficult and also the top row of OSB buttons are partially hidden.

VR, NEED HELP, Sitting to far Forward?

Not sure if it is a bug or just me but in VR I seem to be sitting to far Forward and right on the stick; which, by the way, is making it really uncomfortable to fly. I now squeak uncontrollably when pulling more than 1g. Is it possible to have my attitude adjusted by chance and have us sitting a little further back?

Thank you so much for all you do ED

Respectfully,

IB_

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=258731

"[FIXED]"

������‍♂️

Problem is that flat screen players (the majority of the playerbase) only effectively have one eye, positioned in the middle of the cockpit resulting in them not seeing angles of the HUD one normally could.

To fix this issue, it seems that the view has just been shifted forward to an unrealistic location over the stick so that the player sits with their face in the HUD so they can see all of the symbology.

For VR players, who have normal vision and can see all areas of the HUD from a realistic viewpoint, we now have to deal with our face being buried in the HUD by default.

clearly a Bug (an easy to fix one also) and they moved it to the Wishlist??

What is concerning is that this thread was moved to the wishlist section, essentially sweeping this issue under the rug. It seems to "fix" this, the strategy has been to go from one issue to the opposite and hope no one would notice, hence the move of this thread.

:huh:Wait, I thought they fixed this for the new version? There have been many discussions about this problem and one of the points for the A10 II was that the finally put the head in the right position and made the hud visible

This issue has not been solved, only reversed.

I hope that this can be solved for all players, perhaps a simple option could be added in the special settings for the A-10 to be able to choose between a VR and flat screen viewpoint, allowing for the best experience for all players.

VR is key to the future of DCS and should not be neglected in favour of what may appear more immediately convenient.

Edited by Luft Waffel

Lets try this again... seems my reply got lost as they shuffled this thread around.

First thanks for placing this back in the main topic.

In my case its a two axis problem. First I feel like ive been cut off at the waist and then place at the front of the seat. The front panel including the UFC and MFCDs are too close making gauges hard to read. Also im too low in the seat my head is below the headrest section of the ejection seat.

It doesnt appear to be a hud issue its a default XYZ location issue if this XYZ location needs to be different for monitors then the simple solution is to build a VR XYZ location that users could select. This seems quite simple if not it would be great to get a explanation why.

Im pretty sure if I held my body in a weird position and gave it a few tries I could create a new temporary XYZ location using VR center and when sitting back in the seat normally by butt would be on the seat cushion, my back against the backrest and my head in the headrest in VR space.

Having to do this each time I want to recenter seems pretty unattractive. its an expensive module a lot of work has gone into it. The a10 is why i started with DCS before DCS world why cant we spend a few hrs to fix a basic requirement? VR is going to become quite popular now that resolutions are approaching that of a monitor and the immersion is a game changer. New comers are going to be put off by this immediately its very very obvious and quite distracting.

is there really no workaround? I cant enter a new default head position for a particular aircraft?

It's the same position as in the regular C-hog, and the issue is most immediately solved the same way: by changing the default position in your SnapViews.lua.

If you go to your %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua and open it up in a competent editor (Notepad++ is probably the best choice — do no use regular notepad or anything else built into windows because it will screw up the encoding and possibly break things).

Any snap views and default views you've fiddled with, even if you ended up discaring them, are stored there, in alphabetical module name order. Each cockpit has its own LUA array block in the form of…

SnapViews["A-10C_2"] = {
[1] = {-- player slot 1
…
},
}

…with each of the 10 default snap view positions (NUM0 through NUM9) represented, along with quick views of left and right mirror and, more importantly, views 13 and 14 — the “default view” and “default view - VR”.

Changing your default head position in done by moving those two views around. The way I've set it up, they look like this:

[13] = {--default view
       viewAngle        = 75.000000,--FOV
       hAngle            = 0.000000,
       vAngle            = -19.000000,
       x_trans            = 0.000000,-- Default 0.157000
       y_trans            = -0.008000,
       z_trans            = 0.000000,
       rollAngle        = 0.000000,
       cockpit_version    = 1,
   },
   [14] = {--default view - VR
       viewAngle        = 75.000000,--FOV
       hAngle            = 0.000000,
       vAngle            = -19.000000,
       x_trans            = 0.000000,-- Default 0.157000
       y_trans            = -0.008000,
       z_trans            = 0.000000,
       rollAngle        = 0.000000,
       cockpit_version    = 1,
   },

Most of the entries are self-explanatory. You set your FoV, your baseline rotation (in degrees from facing straight ahead), and the relative x/y/z position of the head (measured in meters).

x_trans measures the position ahead, where the default is set 15cm towards the frong.

y_trans measures up and down position, which for some reason is lowered just under 1cm.

z_trans measures left-right position, and I can't think of a single reason why you wouldn't want this to be 0 so you sit right in the middle.

What I've done with this setting is remove the extra 15cm move forward that comes as a default in the A-10C — from an x-postion of 0.157000 to an x-position of 0. Tada! That was all I felt I needed to have a sensible head position. Others may want to move it back more or less, and maybe move it up a bit as well.

If you don't have an A-10C_2 block in your snapviews file, you can trivially create one by just copy-pasting the A-10C block and renaming it as A-10C_2. I would really suggest keeping both blocks the same so that your view is the same in both variants.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Definitely not feeling correct. The stick feels like I could use it for a chin rest. :-) I do the lean forward trick in VR to get it right, but it takes some fiddling around with head position.

I keep grabbing my stick when I just want to press some OSBs or switch master arm because of that... keep forgetting the lean forward reset trick though as the forward position makes it much easier to read the displays in a CV1 icon_redface.gif

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Problem is that flat screen players (the majority of the playerbase) only effectively have one eye, positioned in the middle of the cockpit resulting in them not seeing angles of the HUD one normally could.

True but even in VR the head position is to far forward compared to where it is when sitting in a real jet. But I've gotten use to adjusting the seat and zooming out some so no biggie for me.

Tippis

I dont see a "View" Folder. I checked path a few times. Nothing.

Any suggestions?

You can create one (with a fresh SnapViews.lua file in it) by simply creating a dummy snapview. There's a lot of guff about it here, but the short variant is:

1. Turn off or pause headtracking.
  2. Press LWin + Num# where ‘#’ corresponds to the view you want to change.
  3. Use the keyboard commands (Num# keys to rotate, RCtrl + RShift + Num# to move) to set up the desired point of view.
  4. Press RAlt + Num0 to save.
  5. Reset the camera (usually with RShift+Num5 and RShfit + RCtr + Num5) and turn headtracking back on.
  6. Press and hold LWin + Num# again to verify that the appropriate view has changed.

Once you've done that, your new setup is saved in the appropriate directory and you can forget about it forever since snap views aren't particularly useful. However, it does get you the file you need to edit to change your head position.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember if it creates and saves default views for every module you own when you do this, or if you have to do them individually for each plane where you want to change your head position, but you'll notice pretty quickly when you open the file which modules have now been set up.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Okay I got it figured out.

I had followed steps similar to what Tippis has shown but it did not create a view folder for me. This time I disabled vr in DCS and ran in as you would with no track ir or vr on a monitor and followed the above steps provided by Tippis and quit DCS. Upon doing so I had a view folder with "SnapViews.lua that I could modify

after about 10 min of trial and error I had a head position that felt normal in vr. Things looked pretty good. Using this is great I can enter dcs set my vr center and boom done. It remembers the head position so that's awesome. I look back my body is against the backrest and my head is sitting on the head rest. 1 issue maybe that the upper section of the hud is not visible. I cant see the circle with the dashed line (boarsight IIRC) (see what i did there?) okay now I can adjust seat position until this is visible. I need to look to see how a correct hud image should appear. Nothing seems cramped now and my body looks normal in vr space as well. so far with limited testing This appears to be a solid solution.

I took like 5 hrs total to get all this working mostly with banging my head against the wall with attempting to create a view folder to edit. Instead of ED placing this thread in the trash heap again it should be made a sticky so it might save someone the same trouble. Editing snap views lua is pretty cake. here are the values I ended up with

Image2.thumb.jpg.b6264ccc34cfb7d722ef9e8a0d9bba48.jpg