Noob question

Taz1004

Just started Georgian Hammer campaign by changing the plane to A-10C II. The first mission, I auto started and got this persistent 1 second interval clicking throughout the mission. Where is it coming from?

Also, can you uninstall A-10C once you have II installed?

Edited by Taz1004

Just started Georgian Hammer campaign by changing the plane to A-10C II. The first mission, I auto started and got this persistent 1 second interval clicking throughout the mission. Where is it coming from?

That might be your RWR.

Also, can you uninstall A-10C once you have II installed?

Yes, through the module manager.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

You don't need to have A-10C installed to install A-10C ll. You did when it was first released but not now.

The module manager doesn't really uninstall the plane/terrain. It just takes it off the list of planes you can fly. Look in the DCS folder and you'll see the plane is still installed. You can delete the plane but the next time you do an update or repair it will install the plane again.

Buzz

I uninstalled it from module manager and it's gone. It left the A10C folder inside DCS/Mods/airplane/ but it was empty so I deleted it. DCS is giving me the red "1" icon on the Module manager icon keep reminding me to install it but it didn't install automatically. I haven't done repair or update yet however.

Edited by Taz1004

I take planes off the module manager list all the time. It just takes seconds to put them back. No way could it be installing them again that fast. If I go into the folder when the plane is off the list the plane is still there but it's off the list in the game.

Buzz

• 1 month later...

I am a "New Guy" and a "Noob" so this thread seemed the best fit.  I have some questions and I am sorry if this is a repeat or the wrong thread.   I could not find what I was looking for.

If possible,  I would like a bit of advice.  I don't know at this point if I am doing something wrong or things are going as intended.

I have two Cougar MFD's.  Two times now I have gotten LEFT MFCD BUTTON STUCK error.  The problem is that I don't think that the button was really stuck.  The last time it happened I had taken some damage to my left wing.  The only thing I can put together is that both are left.  I get on the ground.  I managed to get the repair crew to fix my aircraft.  The big hole in my left wing was gone.  However, they would not take a look at the MFCD  and the button stayed stuck.  Is this a glitch?

In the game I have only progressed to dropping / firing dumb weapons.  I have some questions about the way that the ripple function and save works.

My current load out is: 2-1 mk82 3-21 rockets 4-21 rockets 5-3 mk82 6-mt 7-3 mk82 8-21 rockets 9-21 rockets 10-1 mk82

If I select: 2 and 10 --> save them to release as a pair--> release --> both 2 and 10 will release

If I select: 5 and 7  --> save them to release as a pair--> release --> two will fall off from 7 and none from 5

It doesn't really make sense to me for it to happen like that.  It would make more sense to release one from each wing.  Is this what should happen?

Lets say that I set up my rockets to release as ripple pairs and set the number of pairs to 21.  When I fire the rockets by continuously holding the fire button only 21 rockets will launch, not 21 pairs of rockets.  To fire all of them all it seems like I have to select 42 pairs.  This seems to be the case for the bombs as well.  To release all six at once I have select 6 pairs.  Is this what should happen?

If I save a profile for rockets.  Before I fire any of the rockets I decide I want to use bombs instead.  After releasing the bombs I want to go back to rockets.   But, the recent profile for rockets that I had saved a few minutes prior is now forgotten.  I have to re-input and save the profile again.   Is this what should happen?

Caldera

Buttons get stuck because the press and release events are separate. For example if you press a button, alt tab, and come back the program doesn't register the release event. Often one side of the CICU will take damage when the airplane does and half of the system will go offline. Maybe damage could cause a logical issue with a stuck button.

First I recommend that you bind the OSBs to the Cougar devices using DirectX buttons directly and not by way of a virtual keyboard press to the default keyboard commands. There are two many ctrl-alt-shift modifiers and it's bound to have an issue. Second, if you encounter a stuck key, going through every key manually with mouse clicks and cycling them should unstick them provided the Cougar device isn't stuck on for any command.

If you select weapons on DSMS using OSBs you create a temporary manual profile, denoted by "M/" before the weapon name. Preferences associated with manual profiles are lost whenever the profile is deselected. It's not possible to save preferences associated with a manual profile. The preferred way to select weapons is by cycling weapon profiles which are in the DSMS profile list. You can do this through the CDU, in the DSMS page by "ACT PROF", or hands on with DMS left-right when in NAV/CCIP/CCRP and HUD SOI.

Stations 5 and 7 cannot release pairs of weapons. Only 1/11, 2/10, 3/9, 4/8 can. Five and seven are simply two close together physically on the bottom of the airplane to safely release bombs simultaneously. I don't think a 5/7 pair release should result in two bombs falling. It should drop one bomb and give a release aborted caution for the other one. That's how it did it in A-10C Uno.

One thing you should know is that which stations are selected is not part of the weapon profile information. If you have a MK82 on station 4 and 8, it's not possible to select 4 only, make a profile, then load that profile later in which only station 4 is selected. Weapon profiles are defined on a weapon type basis. Activating a MK82 profile will select all MK82s on board simultaneously. If MK82s are configured differently (fuzes, single/TER etc.) then only same-configuration weapons can be selected at the same time. Cycling profiles will then cycle through all the same-configuration groups of that weapon using that profile and only then go to the next weapon type.

Yes, A-10C (unlike say F-16) you pick the QTY to release. For example if you pick QTY 5, PAIRS it will release 2-2-1 and not 2-2-2-2-2. You're picking the total and not the number of release events. As a sentence you would say "Release four in pairs" and not "release four pairs."

Yes, M/ profiles are temporary. Get out of the habit of using them. Use normal profiles instead.

• Like 1

Thanks Frederf,

I think I get  most of it.  The "M/" part I am going to have to take a look at a bit more.  Not quite getting that part yet. 

My Cougar MFD's came out of the box, got hooked up to the PC and then I went straight into DCS.  They worked perfectly.  DCS already had the Direct X buttons set up with no effort on my part. 

If the stuck button thing happens again I will pop out of the game and check out control panel to see where the mischief actually lies.  So far, two different buttons have stuck.  The last time  it happened I  quit the game and then checked control panel.  I found no issues. 

The problem with a stuck MFCD button is that: a) the master warning won't shut up  b) both MFCD's get a yellow banner covering a good portion of the display.  Annoying...

Off subject, is there a way to minimize the DCS window without using alt-tab?

Caldera

Hey guys,

Been progressing and I am not working up to precision weapons.  I have developed a major issue and I do not know what I did to create it.

Flying today, after the update, whenever I selected WHot or BHot with the TGP there was very a good chance that TGP screen would black out for BHot or white out for WHot.  If I selected CCD I could make out some features but they were pretty blurry.  Sometimes, when I zoomed in or out and the features of BHot or WHot would resume.  At those times I was getting very good contrast.  However, both seemed very temperamental when they would actually work.  But, CCD just about always seems blurry at all zooms.

Another thing that happened today is B... Betty (Beautiful Betty) has regained her voice and now warns me verbally again.  Initially and in the past she had been working, then quit for some reason some time ago.  I had just figured that I had some how shut her off permanently.  But, I had no clue how I did that.

Any ideas?

Caldera

35 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Hey guys,

Been progressing and I am not working up to precision weapons.  I have developed a major issue and I do not know what I did to create it.

Flying today, after the update, whenever I selected WHot or BHot with the TGP there was very a good chance that TGP screen would black out for BHot or white out for WHot.  If I selected CCD I could make out some features but they were pretty blurry.  Sometimes, when I zoomed in or out and the features of BHot or WHot would resume.  At those times I was getting very good contrast.  However, both seemed very temperamental when they would actually work.  But, CCD just about always seems blurry at all zooms.

That's known issue that's been around for awhile.  You can delete fxo and metashaders2 folder from your SavedGames.  But it will accumulate and come back.

I also found that setting Shader Cache to Off in Nvidia control panel seems to help.  Altho this may increase load times a bit.  Not as long as deleting fxo and metashaders2.

Edited by Taz1004

22 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Thanks,

I did find two folders:

USERS --> name -->Saved Games --> DCS --> fxo

and

USERS --> name -->Saved Games --> DCS --> metashaders2

Are these two correct for what you are referring too? 

This pretty much makes things unplayable.

Caldera

Yes, the files in those two folders can cause issues.  I have found, as of a few updates ago (for OB) that the metashaders2 folder is always empty after closing DCS - but the FXO folder always has files in it (which I delete every single time before I boot DCS).  Have never had an issue with textures (and the TGP image) after doing this.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

16 hours ago, Caldera said:

Another thing that happened today is B... Betty (Beautiful Betty) has regained her voice and now warns me verbally again.  Initially and in the past she had been working, then quit for some reason some time ago.  I had just figured that I had some how shut her off permanently.  But, I had no clue how I did that.

Yeah, Betty going mute was a DCS bug that had been fixed in the OpenBeta pretty soon, but if I recall correctly, the previous stable version had this for quite a long time. Just glad it's fixed now.

Thanks guys;

But...

I have been playing a little tonight.  Still trying to practice using precision A-G weapons.  The problem that I am having is that the WHot white out and BHot black out came back with a vengeance.  Although, it seemed to work for a little while I had the shader turn off in the NVidia control panel.  But, I turned it back on because it seemed that my load times got quite a bit longer.

So prior to starting DCS I deleted the contents of the fxo folder.  The metahshader2 folder now seems to remain empty.  I took off and first attack run the gremlin reappears.  Everything seemed OK, more or less, until I fired the first Maverick.  Then the TGP became a total mess.  So I exited the game and deleted the contents of fxo file again.  So I took off again and first attack run the gremlin comes back again.

I have not had this problem until today with the new update loaded.  I wonder...

I will turn the NVidia shader back off and try again at another time.  Kinda pissed ATM.

Caldera

50 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Thanks guys;

But...

I have been playing a little tonight.  Still trying to practice using precision A-G weapons.  The problem that I am having is that the WHot white out and BHot black out came back with a vengeance.  Although, it seemed to work for a little while I had the shader turn off in the NVidia control panel.  But, I turned it back on because it seemed that my load times got quite a bit longer.

So prior to starting DCS I deleted the contents of the fxo folder.  The metahshader2 folder now seems to remain empty.  I took off and first attack run the gremlin reappears.  Everything seemed OK, more or less, until I fired the first Maverick.  Then the TGP became a total mess.  So I exited the game and deleted the contents of fxo file again.  So I took off again and first attack run the gremlin comes back again.

I have not had this problem until today with the new update loaded.  I wonder...

I will turn the NVidia shader back off and try again at another time.  Kinda pissed ATM.

Caldera

Why I said

But it will accumulate and come back.

And Nvidia shader cache off seems to help but doesn't eliminate it either.

i see the darkness issues with TGP a lot. i have to mess with zoom and fov. it is caused by the smoke of a fire in a target and i have seen it even for a second or two when firing a maverick or rocket. but it does go away and it does not affect anything outside of the proximity of the effect. i seem to think that the point track can get a lock on something within the smoke cloud. i may not be correct with that though.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I turned the Shader Cache OFF today and I am being really keen on deleting the contents of the fxo folder after I am done playing.  So far so good.  I am very great full to understand this work around.  It really had  me annoyed.  Thanks again!

Another topic however, how does one automatically attach the text at the bottom of posts.  Like the stuff that describes my system specs?

Caldera

9 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Another topic however, how does one automatically attach the text at the bottom of posts.  Like the stuff that describes my system specs?

On the top right, click your username => Account Settings => Signature

Thanks,

I worry about being a pest.  I am pretty much lost at allot of this after coming back to the PC after many years of  XBox gaming only. 

FWIW I did pop each and every light bulb on the top row.

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

On 12/28/2020 at 8:30 PM, Caldera said:

I turned the Shader Cache OFF today and I am being really keen on deleting the contents of the fxo folder after I am done playing.  So far so good.  I am very great full to understand this work around.  It really had  me annoyed.  Thanks again!

Caldera

I think I found better solution.  I suspected that this issue is related to some sort of redundant shader cache between Nvidia and DCS.  So turning off Nvidia shader cache was what I first tried.  Now I remembered there was way to turn off DCS cache.  So I did that and re-enabled Nvidia cache.  And for a week, the issue didn't come back.  And loading time isn't affected.

So try re-enabling Nvidia shader cache and disable DCS shader cache.

/Config/graphics.lua

Line 441

metaShaderCacheEnabled = true;

Change it to false

Edited by Taz1004

17 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

I think I found better solution.  I suspected that this issue is related to some sort of redundant shader cache between Nvidia and DCS.  So turning off Nvidia shader cache was what I first tried.  Now I remembered there was way to turn off DCS cache.  So I did that and re-enabled Nvidia cache.  And for a week, the issue didn't come back.  And loading time isn't affected.

So try re-enabling Nvidia shader cache and disable DCS shader cache.

/Config/graphics.lua

Line 441

Change it to false

is it prudent to add this line in the autoexec.cfg in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config as the following? instead of modifying the graphics.lua directly?

options.graphics.statsColor = {250,250,250}
no_device_hotplug = true
metaShaderCacheEnabled = false

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain