The Legit Discussion for the D Model Tomcat

HairyPOOnuggets

Heatblur change my mind.

GPS, not a problem for info

The GE110's are on the B+ which is implemented.

JTIDS and ECM and RWR, all of which are on the F16/F18, and coming F15E.

The AN/APG-71 the same for the F-15E (which uses the AN/APG-70, So similar) The AN/APG-71 features high and low rates of pulse repetition. High PRF is used for long range search while low PRF enables ground mapping and single target tracking. Like most modern radars the AN/APG-71 probably incorporates NCRT (Non-Cooperative Recognition Technology) using the raw radar return to help identify the type of aircraft targeted. As with the radar's ability to fuse data from other sensors, including the IRST, TCS and ECM systems, this is a very sensitive technology.

AN/ALR-67 RWR (Radar Warning Receivers) and ALQ-165 radar jammer. Both are highly sophisticated and modern systems. As well as standard radar frequencies the AN/ALR-67's capabilities extend into the laser and millimetric bands and has great potential for further expansion. Using data from the AN/ALR-67 the ALQ-165 provides onboard jamming for the F-14D. The ALQ-165 is one of the most advanced jammers fitted to any US aircraft.

The F-14D also features an ASN-139 digital navigation system, two AYK-14 mission computers, a digital stores management system and a TDRS (Tactical Data Recording System) tied in to the TCS. This is basically a video recorder which takes the place of a more traditional gun camera, allowing near instant viewing of images after flight.

A HUD, similar to the Hornet.

IRST

all info is at least 15 yrs old.

Yeah no, you can't just estimate a bunch of subsystems and wish it into being. There is no unclassified documentation on all of those systems like there is for the A and B model. Not even close. I'm sure someone could make a half-assed mod or version for FSX/P3D but it would be nowhere near Heatblur quality. All of those statements you provided are super vague, unless you have all the documentation for each of those systems obviously. I think everyone should forget the D model until the US DOD decided to miraculously declassify all of the 14D documentation. The "age" of the information has nothing to do with classification levels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur have said over and over again in multiple threads over the years that they do -not- have the info necessary to model the -D. Your writing an overly simplistic list of why there should be enough info does not change that statement. So yeah, I don't think it's in their power to change your mind.

• Like 1

I don't understand why you have to 'chew on' this topic again and again ... Just come to terms with it, there is no D-model and that's the end of it.

• Like 2

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Yeah no, you can't just estimate a bunch of subsystems and wish it into being. There is no unclassified documentation on all of those systems like there is for the A and B model. Not even close. I'm sure someone could make a half-assed mod or version for FSX/P3D but it would be nowhere near Heatblur quality. All of those statements you provided are super vague, unless you have all the documentation for each of those systems obviously. I think everyone should forget the D model until the US DOD decided to miraculously declassify all of the 14D documentation. The "age" of the information has nothing to do with classification levels.

There was even an officialy produced version for the FSX called "F-14X", it featured the F-14B version I believe.

Although generally it was very good, several modes and functions were missing, one of the reasons told by one of the developers himself - the FSX engine only allowed a small number of functions.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

There was even an officialy produced version for the FSX called "F-14X", it featured the F-14B version I believe.

Although generally it was very good, several modes and functions were missing, one of the reasons told by one of the developers himself - the FSX engine only allowed a small number of functions.

Yes, I own it. It was terrible.

While I would love to have the D, simply because of the cool radar upgrades which makes it an even more deadly air-to-air platform (I don't care about other stuff) apart from the obvious reasons why we can't have it, very few people actually consider the fact that Heatblur has given us not one but two models of the F14, a monumental task which has taken them a huge amount of time.

At some point I believe that as much as they love the F14, they would want to develop another completely different airframe. Im sure they can't wait to finish up the F14 and go do something else for a change.

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

IMO the big difference is in how HB does radar. When a radar beam passes over an aircraft the DCS engine does a quick math check of "based on listed radar power and the RCS model and jamming by the target, can the radar detect this aircraft? Y/N" and then if Y the radar display shows the target using the symbiology applicable to the radar mode.

When a HB radar gets a Y it grabs RCS data, relative speed, and likely a bunch of other info to generate a "Power Received", "Range Cell", and "Doppler Cell" which it then gives the simulated AWG-9. The AWG-9 then actually processes the inputs the way it would in real life.

So even if the APG-70 is made it is still going to be the basic ED radar "return computation" and as such will not be up to snuff for HB standards they would need for the APG-71.

IMO the big difference is in how HB does radar. When a radar beam passes over an aircraft the DCS engine does a quick math check of "based on listed radar power and the RCS model and jamming by the target, can the radar detect this aircraft? Y/N" and then if Y the radar display shows the target using the symbiology applicable to the radar mode.

When a HB radar gets a Y it grabs RCS data, relative speed, and likely a bunch of other info to generate a "Power Received", "Range Cell", and "Doppler Cell" which it then gives the simulated AWG-9. The AWG-9 then actually processes the inputs the way it would in real life.

So even if the APG-70 is made it is still going to be the basic ED radar "return computation" and as such will not be up to snuff for HB standards they would need for the APG-71.

How do you know that their implementation is that much more detailed when compared to ED's?

Also I heard somewhere that the B version was able to drop JDAMs in the 2000s, if not full D version, then maybe the B with all the upgrades?

As soon as OP can provide a full listing of all of the MFD functions in the PTID and added MFDs of the D and B Upgrade Tomcats, plus everything about the IRST, then maybe something could get done.

But since those don't exist or are still classified, see the previous mountains of responses about why the D and B Upgrade with Sparrowhawk and JDAM capability aren't coming.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

I agree it was very disappointing, I had a version on the first P3D. They decided to delete this version off there servers when I contacted them to ask if i could get this old version so I could install it again as I had bought their product they said no. That was it for me never again from them, it was poor anyway and I knew HB were producing the Tomcat.

I'm not understanding:

You mean the F-14X (and not P3D), but they will provide some version at the least, or you're saying that there's no F-14X anymore ?

(Not that I'm interested on it nowadays, and I don't have it installed for ages... but if I bought it, must be available permanently.)

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Dear OP. You have absolutely lived up to your user name. Please, pretty please be very proud of that.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The Aerosoft F-14X is just the A and the B, just like Heatblur's

Also, the AN/APG-71 is not identical to the strike eagle's AN/APG-70. IIRC, it is a hybrid of that radar and the AN/AWG-9.

200.gif.bb215f4e0de449970497c35651aaadf6.gif

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yes, I own it. It was terrible.

I owned the F-14X. One of the most regretable purchases I ever made.

Well... I wouldn't be so harsh on it.

Afterall it was the best representation I've known of the Tomcat (graphics and feature wise), obviously before Heatblur's masterpiece finally appeared.

(At the time I even bought NAS Miramar - TOPGUN scenario for it.)

Although it was never intended to be part of a combat simulator genre and also having several avionics features missing, its graphics were very good already, and they tried to give the playability some immersion feeling... keeping in mind the genre of sim it was part of.

For me, the biggest thrills were intercepting the Flankers, and overflying lower Manhattan skyscrapers in bad wether... on my F-14.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

How do you know that their implementation is that much more detailed when compared to ED's?

In addition to what was said, the Heatblur also uses raycasting to better simulate clutter. The Viggen and now the MiG-21bis also make use of raycasting (though the MiG-21bis is still WIP here) in the simulation of their respective RADARs too.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

To add my two cents to the discussion, if Heatblur were to make an addition to the Tomcat fleet, and make the D model, they'd likely do so after they've finished with their current projects so that they can focus on it completely. Right now, they have the A about to release, the Forrestal class of aircraft carriers, the, A-6E Intruder for AI use, and I think a few smaller projects. They have quite a bit on their plate, and frankly, with their smaller team size, I don't see them adding much more at the moment until they've cleared the plate some. Just be patient, let them work through their current set of projects, and maybe they'll do something with the Super Cat then.

• Like 3

To add my two cents to the discussion, if Heatblur were to make an addition to the Tomcat fleet, and make the D model, they'd likely do so after they've finished with their current projects so that they can focus on it completely. Right now, they have the A about to release, the Forrestal class of aircraft carriers, the, A-6E Intruder for AI use, and I think a few smaller projects. They have quite a bit on their plate, and frankly, with their smaller team size, I don't see them adding much more at the moment until they've cleared the plate some. Just be patient, let them work through their current set of projects, and maybe they'll do something with the Super Cat then.

Absolutely agreed and haven't we got like 4 Tomcats already?

• 2 USN F-14As (an early and a late one, with the late one coming in 4 days time)
  • 1 IRIAF F-14A
  • 1 USN F-14B

This is kind of a first for an aircraft in DCS in that we have a comprehensive set of variants spanning multiple decades.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

This is kind of a first for an aircraft in DCS in that we have a comprehensive set of variants spanning multiple decades.

Be nice if we had early/late versions of alot of planes.

• Like 1