Who will win the race between the Mi-24 and the OH-58?

Razorback

On 12/10/2020 at 2:20 PM, Donglr said:

"The Mi-24P and Mi-24V have four underwing pylons for up to 12 anti-tank missiles." https://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/hind/

Which is weird in its own way, as 12 missiles over four pylons makes 3 missiles/pylon 🤨 And also contrary to

"9M114 Shturm (NATO: AT-6 Spiral) anti-tank missile, 2 missiles on each wingtip or outer hardpoint." (4*2=8) https://weaponsystems.net/system/300-Mil+Mi-24P

Likely misunderstanding as there is a six missile launcher for one hardpoint, so two hardpoints gives 12 missiles.

Or you have 2 + 4 on each wing, making it 12 in total.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 3 weeks later...

In the meantime, I don't care which module appears first. What is important is the result at the end. And, for me as a single player, how well can I operate the respective module.

• Like 4

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

10 hours ago, Iron Sights said:

I think the OH-58 will hit first. I’ve seen a couple videos with them flying it in DCS, but I could be wrong. Testing could still be behind.

There has been a whole video of the Mi-24 in flight over Syria.

They've also shown it with some weapon systems on and firing rockets in a recent livestream, though we have no idea how much is left to do behind the scenes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Morrov said:

There has been a whole video of the Mi-24 in flight over Syria.

They've also shown it with some weapon systems on and firing rockets in a recent livestream, though we have no idea how much is left to do behind the scenes.

If Polychop is aiming with OH-58 to skip the Early Access and provide feature completed module out of the bag, then it takes further to get it polished. Then they just need to fix bugs and work something smaller things if everything has gone well with SME's and all....

It is little annoying for me as I like to take one module at the time for a use, learning and training and all. And now I am flying AV-8B for this month and soon we get four helicopters in coming months.

So timewise it is for me a four new modules and not enough time 🙂

Why it would be nice to have little more pacing between them.

Maybe tomorrow™ the OH-58 drops out and we can all have ruined work week 😛

Damn...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Wasn't there some "incident" last year with a change to DCS that screwed something major with the OH-58? I just can remember that Polychop said something like "pushed back for undefined time"(no literal quote!). I don't follow the OH-58 development so it could be just something that looked like a major problem but in the end it was solved very quickly. So i would think MI-24, OH-58, AH-64 will be the "order" but i'm only interested in 2 of them and they will be released in the order MI-24, AH-64.(as far as we know right now 🙂 )

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Whoever will win the race, it looks like 2021 will be the Year of the Helicopter on DCS.

However, in my opinion, 2 things to be fixed so we can fully enjoy helicopters in DCS:

- Please ED, fix the AI, so there are no more death snipers. I mean, when facing infantry with the Mi-8, one, ONE bullet hit from infantry ends up with main hydraulic failure, and crash 2 minutes later. So, imagine what it will be in the OH-58 when flying low and dropping smoke grenades like real life videos we can watch on youtube. And, REALLY, who will proudly stand up, AK in the hand, facing a attack helicopter flying right on you, vomiting full baskets of rockets and gun shells (that's for the Mi-24 🥰) ? Normal (real) reaction would be to hide and save your skin (or try to).

- And speaking of rockets, may be it is time to change the damages done by rockets. I mean, I already saw a full convoy of vehicles (And I'm talking of regular trucks, not armored vehicles) still intact, even if the whole road is scattered of craters made by salvo of high explosive rockets. It feels like the rocket have to land pinpoint on the vehicle to destroy it

Anyway, can't wait for new choppers releases 😛

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, flo57100 said:

- And speaking of rockets, may be it is time to change the damages done by rockets. I mean, I already saw a full convoy of vehicles (And I'm talking of regular trucks, not armored vehicles) still intact, even if the whole road is scattered of craters made by salvo of high explosive rockets. It feels like the rocket have to land pinpoint on the vehicle to destroy it

This is probably down to the fact that DCS doesn't model fragmentation (from looking at the scripts they only boost the explosive mass in the warhead to compensate, in certain A/A missiles the warhead is made 5x larger than it actually is to get the desired effects). As for warheads, it doesn't model anything past HE, kinetic penetrating, smoke and illumination flare. 

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 12/25/2020 at 12:21 AM, Rogue Trooper said:

Please lets get some European know how into this heavy weight equation..

Spreaking of heavy weight: I wouldn't mind a Merlin (or H225M Caracal) to give BLUFOR an Mi-8 equivalent 😉

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

31 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Spreaking of heavy weight: I wouldn't mind a Merlin (or H225M Caracal) to give BLUFOR an Mi-8 equivalent 😉

Yeah I would love a Merlin. 

I would need low settings for my SimShaker Jetseat as these choppers are super smooth and vibration free.

• Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I also think every thing has been pushed back for a big ED roll out to the core engine.

or should I say I hope.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I plan to buy all the helo's as they are released, I just love flying around for CSAR or fun and I really enjoy the difference in flight models between them.

I remember back when Gunship first came out and then Janes, later Gunship 2 I would've paid anything back then for a helo with FM as good as the Gazelle, and nowadays we have so much great stuff to pick from we are spoiled and picky LoL

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

On 1/29/2021 at 11:24 AM, flo57100 said:

Whoever will win the race, it looks like 2021 will be the Year of the Helicopter on DCS.

However, in my opinion, 2 things to be fixed so we can fully enjoy helicopters in DCS:

- Please ED, fix the AI, so there are no more death snipers. I mean, when facing infantry with the Mi-8, one, ONE bullet hit from infantry ends up with main hydraulic failure, and crash 2 minutes later. So, imagine what it will be in the OH-58 when flying low and dropping smoke grenades like real life videos we can watch on youtube. And, REALLY, who will proudly stand up, AK in the hand, facing a attack helicopter flying right on you, vomiting full baskets of rockets and gun shells (that's for the Mi-24 🥰) ? Normal (real) reaction would be to hide and save your skin (or try to).

Anyway, can't wait for new choppers releases 😛

I know it's quite off topic for the release of these two modules, but you know what I would like to see? Maybe if ED could program suppression or the enemy will stop shooting to run for cover if they see an aircraft flying towards or shooting at them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 6:00 PM, tusler said:

I plan to buy all the helo's as they are released, I just love flying around for CSAR or fun and I really enjoy the difference in flight models between them.

I remember back when Gunship first came out and then Janes, later Gunship 2 I would've paid anything back then for a helo with FM as good as the Gazelle, and nowadays we have so much great stuff to pick from we are spoiled and picky LoL

'' helo with FM as good as the Gazelle''

please...

Norwegian Rotorhead w\ All Helicopters

Watercooled AMD FX-8350 | Geforce 1060 6GB | 16 GiG DDR3 | Warthog Everything w/ pendulum pedals | Rift VR

Watercooled AMD Ryzen 9500X | RTX 3080 12GB | 64 GB DDR4 3600mhz | Warthog Everything w/Pendulum Pedals | Rift VR (CV1)

On 1/30/2021 at 5:00 PM, tusler said:

helo with FM as good as the Gazelle

Have you watched those videos below? How can you even compare Eagle Dynamics experience vs Polychop where ED have alredy done Ka-50, Huey, Mi-8, and now they making next 2 helicopters? Mi-8 and Mi-24 are in real simulators out there teaching real pilots. How can you ever think about buying something else than Mi-24. Of course no one is perfect even ED had to tune flight model of Huey but they got it right. Even if you are not a pilot but when you look from external view that heli is behaving like real thing. While gazelle looks like is done in some part time. Sorry to say but i think most of third party shouldn't do flight models. It seams to hard to make, cos others 3rd party struggle as well. How many times Mig-21 had different flight models? Flight simulators are about simulating flying if you cant simulate it properly i think you should quit. Sorry for harsh word but that's how world works, you doing bad job there is someone else who can do it better. I personally own every heli module except gazelle but I've heard from friends who have it that's UFO. I hope they will make it better with Kiowa but i doubt it, they cant fix it for so long why something is going to change?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peter5on said:

I hope they will make it better with Kiowa but i doubt it, they cant fix it for so long why something is going to change?

Manpower, quite simply. They only have one person looking after flight models. This person is currently assigned to creating the Kiowa flight model. They cannot, realistically, work on both at the same time. They have acknowledged that the Gazelle flight model is not up to their standards, but to a point where the framework it was done in isn't satisfactory enough, thus the decision to create a flight model base from zero with the Kiowa then use the lessons and techniques learned there to re-do the Gazelle.

DCS has some of the best flight models available, both from ED and third parties. Yes, some of them have had to be revised multiple times, but it would be silly to fault third parties for improving their work when they have an opportunity to at no added cost for us. Plenty of ED modules have also had flight model revisions and reworks, it's a complex simulator with complex flight dynamics, tweaks are to be expected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Peter5on I think you missed the tone of his message. He didn't say that the gazelle flight model is better than those by ED. He said that it's better than the flight model of a decades-old game, and that in those days we couldn't even imagine a flight model as good as the ones in DCS.
Don't worry. He heard it from his friends.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, SmukY said:

Well, it seems AH-64D will come before Mi-24P 🙂 Ah, we'll have to wait a little more I suppose?

All is subject to change but currently, and as announced by ED, the Mi-24 module will normally come first (Q2 2021) and the Apache afterwards.

The pre-order for the Apache was announced for Feb 21, it's now delayed till May 21...so I guess that the EA will also be delayed by at least 3 months.
As reminder, it seems that there will be no EA for the Hind.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 1:26 AM, Razorback said:

All is subject to change but currently, and as announced by ED, the Mi-24 module will normally come first (Q2 2021) and the Apache afterwards.

The pre-order for the Apache was announced for Feb 21, it's now delayed till May 21...so I guess that the EA will also be delayed by at least 3 months.
As reminder, it seems that there will be no EA for the Hind.

Not so sure on that no EA for the hind. They said some weapons would "come later" which suggests that there will be an EA period. That being said it looks like they want to deliver the EA version with a solid set of features/functionality. Which given the whole Viper release "fiasco" I can't really blame them for.

• Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 1/2/2021 at 6:16 PM, Flatfoot78 said:

In this race we can only win guys

Well, you say that... 

Welcome with your first post.

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

9 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Not so sure on that no EA for the hind. They said some weapons would "come later" which suggests that there will be an EA period. That being said it looks like they want to deliver the EA version with a solid set of features/functionality. Which given the whole Viper release "fiasco" I can't really blame them for.

You right, my mistake !
you have to replace no EA for the Hind by no pre-order for the Hind !

• Like 1