What HOTAS are you using?

My poor old Cougar is on the fritz and I have to start looking for a replacement HOTAS.  What are you guys using and do you have any leads on a good deal?  Cheers.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Budget is definitely an issues, yes Im afraid, the TM Warthogs are hideously overpriced on the markets like eBay etc.  Plus 3d party retailers on places like Amazon are majorly price gouging.

Edited by Mower

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

TM Warthog (refurbished right from TM's webstore for 60% of the original price). The stick's base is replaced by a Virpil VPC WarBRD one. Why? Because the TM gimbals suck (compared to my old Uber modded Cougar)!

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

6 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

TM Warthog (refurbished right from TM's webstore for 60% of the original price).

I dont see that option on the TM website...got a link please or how did you find it?

I don't have a direct link anymore.

I came across a link on this forum which took me right to the Thrustmaster used parts shop.

The only post i can find with a link in it is this one: Thrustmaster refurbished (since the new forum, my own posts only go back to the birth of the new forum so i can't look there).

But that one is dead now.

But i'm pretty sure i didn't get it from that post since i only bought it end last year and this one is from early-mid 2018.

Payed 299,99€ for a (refurbished) full Warthog right from the Thrustmaster store

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Thrustmaster T.1600M FCS Hotas Joystick and Throttle.

I'm very please with the Throttle, a little less with the stick which I might replace in the future for someting like the F-18 Stick, I already checked with Thrusmaster support, they are fully compatible.

One little touch about the Throttle, on the Mirqage 2000, I use the button 1 for IFF/Wheel steering and the Rocker Switch for rudder/wheels, meaning I could disable the twist ruder function on the stick which I did find to cause too much imprecision, all the functions I need for combat/radar are on the throttle including target select except for the weapon selection which are on the stick. I still haven't binded the antenna axis.

I'm not about to let go of this throttle...

TM1600-Throttle.jpg

Edited by Thinder
  • Like 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

I have my eyes on this product. It’s pricey but it will be an investment not a buy.

https://realsimulator.com/shop/

And Thinder is right. I bought that setup because I was waiting for my Warthog to be delivered which took over 4 months. But that setup was surprisingly good enough and easy to get. It’s so hard to get anything these days.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Currently have the Logitech X56. I found it the 'best bang for buck' when it came to all the functions I needed plus some extra buttons.

I'm seriously eyeing off the VKB Gunfighter though (as from what I can tell it has even more buttons than the X56 stick - plus better quality, etc). The only issue I have is not knowing what throttle to get with it, as VKB only make sticks and rudders.

EDIT 2 months later: I regret saying this now. The X56 was not best bang for the buck because of ongoing quality issues. Buy right, buy once.... was something I missed this time.

Edited by Dangerzone

did you mod your Cougar? what´s the issue? I´m reviving a second hand Cougar throttle unit with about $50 of Hall sensors and USB standalone conversion, sold by a user from this very same forum.
Other than that, giving current Warthog price, I would consider some Virpil/VKB options. T16000 if you find a decent price too.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Winwing F/A-18 throttle, Virpil T50CM2 with extension + Realsimulator F-18E grip for the Hornet and Virpil WarBRD + TM Warthog grip for the F-16. Still waiting for a decent F-16 throttle. If money isn't an issue and you want to go with a Realsimulator grip be aware that these can be used on each base with PS2 connector (Virpil, TM, Realsimulator), but only those with BT module (F-18E, F-16 collectors edition only) will have full functionality on Virpil and TM bases. The standard F-16 grips need a Realsimulator base for full functionality.

Cheers

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

I use an old Saitek AB8R flight stick. It’s horrible but Warthogs cost a fortune so I’m looking for something. 

Im looking for a tabletop HOTAS and have a flexible budget. Looking at VKB and Virpil  but not sure what to buy that works well with the F-16. 

My guarantee: if my first two bombs don't destroy you, the next one's free

F-16C | FC3 | Persian Gulf

Best setup for the F-16 would definately be the Realsimulator FSSB R3 base + Realsimulator F16 grip. The only issue is that this is, including VAT, a ~1000,- € stick with shipping on top and you'll still need to buy a separate throttle. But therefore you'll get a high-end force sensitive base working exactly like the real thing in the F-16, with the by far best F-16 grip non-commercial customers can buy for money. Other than that, i think the Virpil WarBRD base with heavy springs and TM Warthog grip works great for the F-16, while the VKB base with converted TM Warthog grip is also a great F-16 stick solution for sure. 

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, VpR81 said:

Best setup for the F-16 would definately be the Realsimulator FSSB R3 base + Realsimulator F16 grip. The only issue is that this is, including VAT, a ~1000,- € stick with shipping on top and you'll still need to buy a separate throttle. But therefore you'll get a high-end force sensitive base working exactly like the real thing in the F-16, with the by far best F-16 grip non-commercial customers can buy for money. Other than that, i think the Virpil WarBRD base with heavy springs and TM Warthog grip works great for the F-16, while the VKB base with converted TM Warthog grip is also a great F-16 stick solution for sure. 

How about a good throttle?

3 hours ago, BigHairyGobbler said:

I use an old Saitek AB8R flight stick. It’s horrible but Warthogs cost a fortune so I’m looking for something. 

Im looking for a tabletop HOTAS and have a flexible budget. Looking at VKB and Virpil  but not sure what to buy that works well with the F-16. 

Looks like VKB are about to release a new product: 

11 hours ago, BigHairyGobbler said:

How about a good throttle?

Afaik there is no F-16 throttle right now, except for the TM Cougar TQS. Winwing is in the process of developing one and so is Realsimulator. The Winwing stuff is great, but if you're in europe be aware that the Winwing devices do not have any compliance markings (at least mine doesen't) making it illegal to import it to europe, even for individuals. If national customs checks the shipping, the new toy will be confiscated. Besides that, their products are excellent, it's just a legality issue in europe. Realsimulator is even more boutique/expensive than Winwing, so i guess their F-16 throttle will be easily at 1000+€. That's the price for beeing made in the EU instead of china. Also i have no idea how far developement is and when their throttle will come. 

Cheers

I modded my Thrustmaster Cougar to be standalone for 10$ and got myself a Thrustmaster Hotas Magnetic Base for 130€.

If the budget is bigger go for a Virpil WarBRD...

If the Gymbal is dying and you´re on a real budget, there are resonable ones that one can 3D Print if you have a printer (or a friend).

The Gymbal of the T16000 is really nice, but the stick doesnt have enough buttons.

The thrustlever is too light and needs either weight or have to be fixed somehow.

Used ones can be really cheap and they dont have a lot of wear...unlike the Warthog base.

Edited by JayRoc

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

So many options and each one has pros and cons.  Virpil has horrible post-sales support, VKB doesn't have a throttle (yet), WinWing doesn't have an F-16 HOTAS (yet) and the WartHog stick has a plastic gimbal (WTF).

Edit.  How hard is it so mix and match brands and do they need their software running for daily use in DCS, for example?

Edited by BigHairyGobbler

I use a VKB Gunfighter II w MCG Pro grip on a full length curved extension directly attached to my flight seat. Quality wise, that's the best stick on the market. Virpil is better for flexibility of grip selection as it's just plug and play, whereas VKB requires a firmware update anytime you change the grip.

For throttle I use the initial Virpil T-50 throttle. I consider it the best throttle on the market, though I dislike the layout of their follow on redesigns.

My rudder is Slaw's Viper RX, the absolute finest money can buy, hands down, as well as being a literal work of art and great engineering example.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the Warthog for years. Added the FA18 TM stick. Very pleased. I would like a accurate Hornet throttle for HOTAS assignment,so I noticed the Win Wing Throttle.

But I have had a bit of fears of buttons breaking or something.   I've been searching for reviews and have found a few on U tube, but limited to after a year of use to how well they hold up.

My TM Warthog is a beast. Had it for a decade. No issues.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the VKB Gladiator NXT yet.  I just received mine last week (finally retired my perfectly good 21 year old Saitek X45) paired with a TWCS throttle.  To Canada, the total cost with shipping/GST/duties was $276 CAD ($210 USD).  Really nice for those of us that refuse to spend $650 on a stick (GF3)...I need a new pontoon boat instead 😉  Also, unlike the Warthog, they are in stock at their regular price.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth