Budget VR

draconus

Hi,

I wonder if any of you got low spec rig running VR in DCS? I'm thinking more and more about getting into VR but certainly low cost one. I see some offerings like $100 DK or CV1 Rifts or $300 S versions. What I read S is much better in visual quality but not much more demanding performance wise.

Now the PC - my current h/w:

G4560@3,5GHz/DDR4-16GB/GTX970-4GB/SATA3-SSD, Win7-64, 27"LCD-FullHD, T16000M HOTAS, customTiR

I plan to upgrade eventually to 10100F CPU, 32GB and Win10. New better card is too much for me atm.

I'm rather used to lower fps and low gfx settings so I don't expect smoothness or good visual quality. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this. Can it be any playable/immersive in this setup?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

the issue will be can you keep the cpu and gpu frame times in reprojection/ASW .. and i agree with @Taz1004your experience is likely to be ... unencouraging ... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

16 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

I wouldn't recommend it.  You may be disappointed and may put you off VR.

Your system first.  Then VR later.

Agreed.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Maybe a second hand GTX 1080 could help you. No idea about your current CPU horsepower.
Also check second hand for Rift S, Odyssey +... I wouldn´t go lower than that. Trust me, a couple of years ago I was flying Rift CV1 with a GTX 1060 3Gb, and felt stunning despite everything else!

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | Buttkicker | SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle - Phantom

On 12/29/2020 at 11:59 AM, draconus said:

So the minimum system would be like 1070 plus Rift S?

I'm currently running a 1070 and a Rift S . Do i want more ? Absolutely ! But the experience right now is still mind-blowing , even after 2 years in DCS VR .

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 3 months later...
On 12/29/2020 at 12:46 PM, draconus said:

I plan to upgrade eventually to 10100F CPU, 32GB and Win10. New better card is too much for me atm.

So I didn't listen to you all (but still grateful for comments 🙂 ) and went with Rift S upgrading a bit to this:

- i3-10100F 3.6-4.3GHz 4c/8t on H410 MB

- Windows 10

- stayed with 16GB DDR4 2666 as I don't need more RAM

- same card GTX 970 4GB (no way I buy anything better now with the current prices!)

...and I am super impressed! I'm glad I did that. There's no way I'm going back to high res clear pancake with cropped, distorted and flat window to the world!

Don't get me wrong - it's low res, low fps of course now and I totaly look forward to better card and experience but it'll have to wait with what I have for now.

What's with that constant shake in the cockpit? Even if aircraft is parked cold and I keep my head still it's hard to click anything. There is nothing like that in other VR apps or even at the Mig-29 Su-27 scene in main DCS menu. Is there any fix for that?

Edit: It is in the menu and other apps too - just didn't notice that much.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

16 minutes ago, draconus said:

There is nothing like that in other VR apps or even at the Mig-29 scene in main DCS menu. Is there any fix for that?

yes you can change the VR Scene F-14 VR Ultimate Xperience (F14VUX) (digitalcombatsimulator.com) as an example but also  Main menu hangar - Virtual Reality - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

i realise i  misunderstood what you were saying... i dont get a constant shake in VR... something in your tracking may be off ?

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

45 minutes ago, draconus said:

So I didn't listen to you all (but still grateful for comments 🙂 ) and went with Rift S upgrading a bit to this:

- i3-10100F 3.6-4.3GHz 4c/8t on H410 MB

- Windows 10

- stayed with 16GB DDR4 2666 as I don't need more RAM

- same card GTX 970 4GB (no way I buy anything better now with the current prices!)

...and I am super impressed! I'm glad I did that. There's no way I'm going back to high res clear pancake with cropped, distorted and flat window to the world!

Don't get me wrong - it's low res, low fps of course now and I totaly look forward to better card and experience but it'll have to wait with what I have for now.

What's with that constant shake in the cockpit? Even if aircraft is parked cold and I keep my head still it's hard to click anything. There is nothing like that in other VR apps or even at the Mig-29 scene in main DCS menu. Is there any fix for that?

Glad you took the plunge and enjoyed the experience. I have what is considered a low end specs too (gtx 1070). What helps immensely regarding smoothness is running Oculus Tray Tool and forcing ASW at 30Hz. You can also play with the bit rate tab (named rift link) and try some GPU preset. Hope this helps bringing you some extra fps/smoothness.

Edited by pixie

24 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

i dont get a constant shake in VR... something in your tracking may be off ?

The tracking is super smooth. That "shake", more like constant wandering, I see in every DCS VR video. It's like you can't keep the virtual head still but my head really is still. I didn't have this problem with TrackIR.

Thx @pixie I will definitely try some optimisations.

Edited by draconus

Make sure that CPU is using AVX.  If not, no VR.  VR must have a cpu with AVX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

41 minutes ago, DerekSpeare said:

Make sure that CPU is using AVX.  If not, no VR.  VR must have a cpu with AVX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions

Even Pentiums and Celerons have it since 2020.

G4560 doesn't have AVX.  As I understand it, no AVX. no VR.   But one dude on Reddit says he runs the Oculus with that cpu. 

But in any event, VR will be likely a very poor experience with your hardware, if it will run at all on it and with Windows 7.

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Well, there shouldnt be any visible shaking inside the rift s. There can be shaking visible from the 2d mirror.

If it is shaking, make sure your room is well lit and tidy. Remove, if possible, any objects that can reflect light

Also some contrast for the camera is beneficial. Dont sit infront of a clean white wall. Get some pictures or similiar.

Plug in some earbuds to get rid of those horrible speakers on the Rift S. Enjoy the VR experience.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

I use small headphones that fit under the strap just well.

I have no tracking problem - it is super smooth. I'll have to check with more light again just to test.

I'll describe it another way. Get into cockpit and put a mouse cursor over some switch. Can you hold it still? Mine wanders constantly around the switch which make accurate clicking very hard.

Ah, I missunderstood. 

Yeah, this is sadly normal. Its an addition of your head shaking and your  mouse movement. Probably a lot harder, if you have a high DPI mouse.

You can disable the mouse and just use your VR Cursor (Go to UI Options under Controls and setup a right and left mouse button). You could also use a low DPI Mouse setting or switch to a trackball. Or you just give yourself time to get used to it :). You will.

As jmossr posted, there is sadly no way to have the mouse unlinked to your view, yet. Let's hope ED will give us this option in the future.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

Thx, @Gruman, this is a serious problem that affects probably every VR user, I'm surprised this haven't been fixed already. I'll try with VR cursor.

It's not that bad. Was only ever an issue if I would need to click a switch which is located to the side/afterwards of the pilot. Everything in the front you get used very quickly.