F/A18E/F Super Hornets block 1 and BLock 2 E/F ( lot 26)

Kev2go

F/A18E/F Super Hornets block 1 and BLock 2 E/F ( lot 26)  

676 members have voted

1. 1. F/A18E/F Super Hornets block 1 and BLock 2 E/F ( lot 26)

• Yes, its a feasible as a potential future module
    • No

20 hours ago, shaneduce said:

Did you not read my post? I all said as much they could take a guess and call it a day. They all ready guess at the jammer's in the airframes. Why not a jamming plane just turned to 11?

Jamming is also REALLY rudimentary. We'd need a lot more than what we have. Believe me, if it gave us a chance for an EA-6B? I'd be game. But, that hasn't been hinted at.

On 11/3/2022 at 7:50 PM, SilentSparrow said:

There's also the "You just never know" from NineLine. It could very well be a yes. This is more than a nothing burger. 

NineLine (no disrespect intended) is also an official rep from ED, as you are well aware. He's also not within the innermost circles and serves as community outreach of which he does a good job. But, 'you just never know' is little more than admitting that it isn't in the cards for the immediate or near future. It's more of an admission that the ED team is always looking for options and future ideas for products. With the Apache out and making very steady progress, it's probably time to consider another project for the long term. A Super Hornet might be in that consideration, but it'll be quite the distance out.

At this point, there's little to go on and "You just never know" is not much more than an official line that reiterates ED's willingness and capability to tackle popular aircraft. I wouldn't put much stock into it since, if I were to start a similar thread about adding the CF-100 Canuck that garnered a similar response, I would expect the same line of dialogue. 

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

48 minutes ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

Jamming is also REALLY rudimentary. We'd need a lot more than what we have. Believe me, if it gave us a chance for an EA-6B? I'd be game. But, that hasn't been hinted at.

NineLine (no disrespect intended) is also an official rep from ED, as you are well aware. He's also not within the innermost circles and serves as community outreach of which he does a good job. But, 'you just never know' is little more than admitting that it isn't in the cards for the immediate or near future. It's more of an admission that the ED team is always looking for options and future ideas for products. With the Apache out and making very steady progress, it's probably time to consider another project for the long term. A Super Hornet might be in that consideration, but it'll be quite the distance out.

At this point, there's little to go on and "You just never know" is not much more than an official line that reiterates ED's willingness and capability to tackle popular aircraft. I wouldn't put much stock into it since, if I were to start a similar thread about adding the CF-100 Canuck that garnered a similar response, I would expect the same line of dialogue. 

With the F/A-18 E/F/G they all ready have a base airframe. I hope the bulk of the work would all ready be done. Just got to update the FM.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shaneduce said:

With the F/A-18 E/F/G they all ready have a base airframe. I hope the bulk of the work would all ready be done. Just got to update the FM.

Faaar from it. That they share part of the name and a few instruments is definitely not bulk of the work.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

11 hours ago, draconus said:

Faaar from it. That they share part of the name and a few instruments is definitely not bulk of the work.

They have a few new avionics, 2 new weapons pylons, and a new airframe (Plus new engines, but the flight model shouldn't change too much). The F/A-18E/F Lot 26, otherwise, is the same as the F/A-18C Lot 20.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SilentSparrow said:

They have a few new avionics, 2 new weapons pylons, and a new airframe (Plus new engines, but the flight model shouldn't change too much). The F/A-18E/F Lot 26, otherwise, is the same as the F/A-18C Lot 20.

You don't understand. If it's a different airframe or engine it's a new FM, period. It's also new 3D model and new cockpit. Years of work, nothing close to a few changes. A new module.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Oh, come on. The T/W ratio is nearly the same; they're both Hornets, so there's no major change in the flight model. I know there's a new cockpit, and I neglected the 3d model of the cockpit, but it will still not take long to make the cockpit because it is just so similar to the Legacy Hornet's. Don't worry about the 3d model of the F/A-18E/F/G, CJS has that nailed down. This is a lot less than a year's work.

Edited by SilentSparrow

12 minutes ago, SilentSparrow said:

Oh, come on. The T/W ratio is nearly the same; they're both Hornets, so there's no major change in the flight model. I know there's a new cockpit, and I neglected the 3d model of the cockpit, but it will still not take long to make the cockpit because it is just so similar to the Legacy Hornet's. Don't worry about the 3d model of the F/A-18E/F/G, CJS has that nailed down. This is a lot less than a year's work.

When the Super Hornet was introduced via VFA-122, I recall that pilots of Legacy Hornets had to requalify as the Navy considered it a new aircraft. There is a change in the Flight model and many systems despite what you just said bro.

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

I never said there was no change in the flight model, I said there was no major change in the flight model. If the Lot 20 is a dominant one circle fighter but not a good 2 circle one, it's not like that will change for the Super Hornet. I also never said it was the same as the Legacy Hornet's, I just said that it is so similar. A person who can cold start a Legacy can cold start a Super. They can still dogfight. They can still BVR fight. They can do pretty much everything that they could do in the Legacy Hornet.

10 hours ago, SilentSparrow said:

I never said there was no change in the flight model, I said there was no major change in the flight model. If the Lot 20 is a dominant one circle fighter but not a good 2 circle one, it's not like that will change for the Super Hornet. I also never said it was the same as the Legacy Hornet's, I just said that it is so similar. A person who can cold start a Legacy can cold start a Super. They can still dogfight. They can still BVR fight. They can do pretty much everything that they could do in the Legacy Hornet.

You start to sound like you're trolling. It was already explained that for ED/DCS it's a new aircraft module and most (years of) work would have to be done from scratch despite whatever you think is similar - that's how it works. Any mod creator is free to apply for a 3rd party status as DCS module dev. So far no one is planning to do Super Hornet module and CJS' is visual shell only.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 6:59 PM, shaneduce said:

Noooo no no no. The Super Hornet and Legacy Hornet are barely related. Sure, the first Super Hornets came in Lot 20, but they were not terribly different from the Charlie we got. That's kind of a hard sell; it's a Legacy Hornet with more payload but worse dogfight performance.  And "Just got to update the FM" is a lot of work. On top of that, again, they'd have to do something about the rudimentary nature of radar jamming in DCS for us to get any jammer birds. At least, one with the value of the money spent. If it's just a Super Hornet with the current ECM on 'roids, I'm saving my money and I doubt I'd be alone. 

And I think ED understands that.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

2 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

Noooo no no no. The Super Hornet and Legacy Hornet are barely related. Sure, the first Super Hornets came in Lot 20, but they were not terribly different from the Charlie we got. That's kind of a hard sell; it's a Legacy Hornet with more payload but worse dogfight performance.  And "Just got to update the FM" is a lot of work. On top of that, again, they'd have to do something about the rudimentary nature of radar jamming in DCS for us to get any jammer birds. At least, one with the value of the money spent. If it's just a Super Hornet with the current ECM on 'roids, I'm saving my money and I doubt I'd be alone. 

From what I understand, the E model performs just as well as the C model in terms of flight envelope; its still a dogfighting monster as it holds higher alpha than the legacy can. Point is that even though its different, its not much different...although the SF has a higher drag index.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

57 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

From what I understand, the E model performs just as well as the C model in terms of flight envelope; its still a dogfighting monster as it holds higher alpha than the legacy can. Point is that even though its different, its not much different...although the SF has a higher drag index.

In terms of high alpha they are practically equivalent, maybe the super is better though most of what I’ve read implies they are pretty similar. In terms of sustained turn rate the 402 powered C vs a Block I E has a sustained turn rate advantage as confirmed by the GAO report. (50% fuel, two AMRAAM and two sidewinders) This is likely due to the 402 aircraft having a superior thrust to weight ratio and the super hornet being draggy. The Super Hornet has a stupid high CL max so it might have a better instantaneous turn rate, I don’t know enough about the Legacy bug to know either way. I do know a Eurofighter pilot claimed the superbug actually will have an advantage in the first pass before falling out of the sky. Subsonic acceleration is better then you might think, it’s between the Su-27 and Su-35 bellow mach 1 then it hits a wall.

On 11/7/2022 at 5:02 PM, SilentSparrow said:

Key take away point, If NAVAIR thinks it is enough of a change that it required requalification, then that's enough. I too long for a Super Hornet but it's not as simple as you'd wish it to be.

• Like 2

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

On 11/7/2022 at 7:23 PM, SilentSparrow said:

3D Model Assumptions Incorrect,
ED Cannot Build a Module with some one else's work, CJS's Mod Also uses a Model that was sublicensed, and they don't have permission to re-distribute to another developer for a commercial product. Nor to include it in a commercialized product of their own, nor do they have a Boeing License Agreement.

Flight Model Assumptions : Incorrect, 
It's Entirely Different. Not just a few changes.

-The FCS,
-Airframe Size and Weight
-Engines,
-Control Surfaces,
-Control Surface Logic,
-Input Processing,
-Sub Sonic Drag Index,
-Trans Sonic Drag Index,
-Super Sonic Drag Index,

Are all different on Super Hornets Starting with Block I Lot 21 LRIP.

Then when you move to Lot 24, You add more FCS Control Surface Logic, and Updated a few systems,
Then when you move to Lot 25, You change out the displays and the System Programming Language.

Judging my your comments, you should stick to just flying the unofficial "MOD" as that's exactly what you want, a Super Hornet External 3d Model, using a Legacy Hornet's systems and flight model.

Enjoy.

And yes I am more than qualified to state the above facts.

22 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

Super Hornet LRIP Started at Lot 21

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Also goes to mention that the air brakes on the SH are far different than on the legacy models. You dont have a pop out speed board on the spine, you have multiple boards popping out on the LERX, plus all that wind is funneled directly into the rudders...and the rudders deflect inboard. Pretty much the same operation you would see on the legacy, but you only see that when the flaps are down. IIRC -everything- is used to slow the SH down when you deploy the spoilers: rudder, spoilers, flaps, L/E flaps, ailerons...flight dynamics may be similar, cockpit may be familiar, but everything gets changed. The latest Blk 3 has an all glass cockpit and an AESA radar....which requires a secret security clearance to even sneeze on it in final assembly and Im not that popular yet. There arent any new orders after 2025, so the line might get shut down soon afterwards, so maybe wishes might happen? Itll just be a while.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

15 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Also goes to mention that the air brakes on the SH are far different than on the legacy models. You dont have a pop out speed board on the spine, you have multiple boards popping out on the LERX, plus all that wind is funneled directly into the rudders...and the rudders deflect inboard. Pretty much the same operation you would see on the legacy, but you only see that when the flaps are down. IIRC -everything- is used to slow the SH down when you deploy the spoilers: rudder, spoilers, flaps, L/E flaps, ailerons...flight dynamics may be similar, cockpit may be familiar, but everything gets changed. The latest Blk 3 has an all glass cockpit and an AESA radar....which requires a secret security clearance to even sneeze on it in final assembly and Im not that popular yet. There arent any new orders after 2025, so the line might get shut down soon afterwards, so maybe wishes might happen? Itll just be a while.

There is no dedicated "Airbrake" on the Super Hornet, the Control Logic just extends specific surfaces to increase drag. these surfaces change depending on AoA, Flap Position, Gear Position, etc etc. most of the time the LERX Spoilers arent even used.

with the USN Blk III Order and Upgrade program, the RAF Upgrade Program, Germany's Split Order. The line will be around for a while.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

6 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

There is no dedicated "Airbrake" on the Super Hornet, the Control Logic just extends specific surfaces to increase drag. these surfaces change depending on AoA, Flap Position, Gear Position, etc etc. most of the time the LERX Spoilers arent even used.

with the USN Blk III Order and Upgrade program, the RAF Upgrade Program, Germany's Split Order. The line will be around for a while.

Unfortunately Germany will not buy the Super Hornet/Growler anymore. Instead they will buy F-35A as nuke carrier and a modified two-seater EF-2000 as electronic warfare platform (which has to be developed first).

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, SkateZilla said:

Thats what I was getting at - every flight control surface acts as a dedicated braking surface.

Germany pulled out of the F/A-18 order last I heard. No new customers on the line until (and if) India purchases it...and thats going to be highly unlikely at the moment. The only customer at the moment is the Navy with the Blk 3, and the last unit looks like it will be delivered in 2025 unless new customers are picked up. Not even a Growler has been built in the last 3 years, and there are airframes getting mothballed before they meet their 8000 flight hours. The program is on its last legs unfortunately.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

2 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Thats what I was getting at - every flight control surface acts as a dedicated braking surface.

Germany pulled out of the F/A-18 order last I heard. No new customers on the line until (and if) India purchases it...and thats going to be highly unlikely at the moment. The only customer at the moment is the Navy with the Blk 3, and the last unit looks like it will be delivered in 2025 unless new customers are picked up. Not even a Growler has been built in the last 3 years, and there are airframes getting mothballed before they meet their 8000 flight hours. The program is on its last legs unfortunately.

Blk III is pre-wired to Growler spec, so all F Blk IIIs are Growler Ready off the line.

I also forgot about Kuwait

Edited by SkateZilla

59 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

Blk III is pre-wired to Growler spec, so all F Blk IIIs are Growler Ready off the line.

I also forgot about Kuwait

Not really. Sure they carry the same wing, but theres a lot of internal plumbing that need to go or get installed. The wings for instance - you have to remove the hydraulic lines and install a wiring harness in the outboard wing to support the jammer equipment, but AFAIK theres no conversion for it. Its either going to be one or the other unless those stations are going to sacrifice the wingtip pylon or jammer, or M61 or avionics system installed in the nose. I know this because I spent a number of months building wings for them in wing laydown. Matter of fact, I think the last few Growlers built the navy didnt even want or buy and from what Ive heard its just a Boeing asset now. Not sure what they do with it, but I caught a glimpse of the last one built in the line maintenance bay a few weeks ago alongside a few super hornets that went past their trap limit that were getting refurbished to 10k hours.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

I wonder, the super hornet *might* be a better BVR platform then the hornet. The hornet can have a tough time getting passed Mach 1 with a BVR load out. The super hornet though can at least get up to mach 1 pretty quickly and has a smaller RCS. It’s just speculation but in the real world they are about even in terms of enemy aircraft killed with mid range missiles.

7 hours ago, F-2 said:

I wonder, the super hornet *might* be a better BVR platform then the hornet. The hornet can have a tough time getting passed Mach 1 with a BVR load out. The super hornet though can at least get up to mach 1 pretty quickly and has a smaller RCS. It’s just speculation but in the real world they are about even in terms of enemy aircraft killed with mid range missiles.

Super hornet is slower than legacy. In fact I'm not even sure if it can go supersonic with more than a centerline on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

27 minutes ago, Swift. said:

Super hornet is slower than legacy. In fact I'm not even sure if it can go supersonic with more than a centerline on.

That is not true mate... yes, superbug is bigger and heavier, but at the same time superbug has around 20% more powerful engines and better aerodynamic drag coeficient than legacy one...

2 hours ago, =BoB= David said:

That is not true mate... yes, superbug is bigger and heavier, but at the same time superbug has around 20% more powerful engines and better aerodynamic drag coeficient than legacy one...

No one calls it superbug. 

It has better slow speed performance (including a slower landing speed), on account of the larger LEX for sure. But those same larger LEX cause problems at speed. More wing is more drag.

Not sure where you are getting your gouge from though, sounds like an interesting source...

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2