2.7 Clouds look blurry/ wobbly/ jelly - like in VR, as if out of focus on a camera.

14 minutes ago, Irish79 said:

Everyone seems to be raving about this update. But as a VR user it is basically unplayable for me. I am thinking of actually installing the stable version just so I can play the game.. 😞

I have opted to simply go back to 2D for a while until VR clouds are as amazing as in 2D. I would've never imagined I'd remove the dust from my old trackIR. But it's a temporary thing, I can't wait to enjoy those cloudscapes in my Reverb!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jafergon said:

I have opted to simply go back to 2D for a while until VR clouds are as amazing as in 2D. I would've never imagined I'd remove the dust from my old trackIR. But it's a temporary thing, I can't wait to enjoy those cloudscapes in my Reverb!

I was playing a mission from a K4 campaign and as I climbed up through the clouds, they were jumping, blurring and honestly looked like they were bending at one point. For the first time in a very very long time I felt ill in VR.

My framerate was steady at 72.

I know this was listed as a known bug in the patch notes so it was tested.

I don't know what percentage of the user base is VR but I really don't think the patch should have went live like this. I would have preferred to wait another month if necessary.

Is the testing community representative of the number of VR users?

22 hours ago, Irish79 said:

I don't know what percentage of the user base is VR

Not enough to count unfortunately.

As ED have said in the past, the majority of their users fly single player with a flat screen. They probably only fly in the Caucuses map in the Free SU-25T as well and have never purchased a module 😋

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
  • Like 2

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9 hours ago, Highwayman-Ed said:

As ED have said in the past, the majority of their users fly single player with a flat screen. They probably only fly in the Caucuses map in the Free SU-25T as well and have never purchased a module 😋

Hm … maybe. But the core members which purchased a lot of ED modules using VR nowadays. 

For me- the option to use VR googles is the striking argument for DCS. So ED is correct when they pushed the issues into highly priority section of development. 

I really hope the team will be able to fix the cloud jiggling problem soon. The new cloud system is a big step forward but spent me a lot of motion sickness.

Cheers

Tom

• Like 4

Born to fly but forced to work.

TomFliegerKLEIN.gif

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2021 at 9:47 AM, TOMCATZ said:

Hm … maybe. But the core members which purchased a lot of ED modules using VR nowadays. 

For me- the option to use VR googles is the striking argument for DCS. So ED is correct when they pushed the issues into highly priority section of development. 

I really hope the team will be able to fix the cloud jiggling problem soon. The new cloud system is a big step forward but spent me a lot of motion sickness.

Cheers

Tom

100% agree Tom.

Not really interested in the guys that use 2D ,impossible to go back to 2D as its pants and zero realism factor.

I have spent £800 on modules and now DCS is unplayable.

Its VR or nothing , luckily the RAF is keeping me busy at the moment.

I hope the issue is fixed very soon or at least some communication.

This is priority over new modules

ED could at least say , sorry guys we are working into this issue and should hopefully take so long or we will keep you updated every week.

I'm £800 in so before anybody says modules keep them going then yes I get it.

Regards

John

• Like 2

As ED have said in the past, the majority of their users fly single player with a flat screen. They probably only fly in the Caucuses map in the Free SU-25T as well and have never purchased a module 
That's interesting, source would be useful. I was expecting around a 60/40 split 2D vs VR so am a little surprised. I started in 2D and TIR and not sure I could go back tbh. Apart from possibly learning a new module as it obviously gives the ability to reference material easily. As I mentioned a couple of months ago I think there is a not insignificant portion of the community that would like to see a VR focused patch. And IMHO there would actually be some benefit in having a VR dedicated branch for OpenBeta . But I do appreciate the significant investment that would involve in terms of time and resources. Pretty sure many would be willing to help fund the effort quite frankly. I know I would.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

On 4/16/2021 at 8:42 AM, cmeliak said:

after 2 decades following and playing DCS ... these clouds are just great...

Hear, Hear! 👍 The ED team has done an absolutely AMAZING job with these clouds... it changes the whole experience of flying in many ways. 

• Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Hear, Hear!  The ED team has done an absolutely AMAZING job with these clouds... it changes the whole experience of flying in many ways. 
In VR?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, zildac said:
1 hour ago, wilbur81 said:
Hear, Hear! emoji106.png The ED team has done an absolutely AMAZING job with these clouds... it changes the whole experience of flying in many ways. 

In VR?

I don't fly in VR and don't plan on it any time soon...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zildac said:
2 hours ago, wilbur81 said:
Hear, Hear! emoji106.png The ED team has done an absolutely AMAZING job with these clouds... it changes the whole experience of flying in many ways. 

In VR?

Changed my experience for sure!! 
I took up golf.  I’m going to play the 3090 lottery until I win then try one last time. If not then whole “play box” goes in the dumpster.  I’m a fan but cmon man (my best joe Bidden”

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

4 hours ago, Mr. Big.Biggs said:

I’m going to play the 3090 lottery until I win then try one last time. If not then whole “play box” goes in the dumpster.

Your expectations are way to high.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

9 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Your expectations are way to high.

Probably. And not at all slamming the developers.  I got sucked in because of the allure of the VR experience.  Otherwise to me it was a flight sim, complex for sure and cool, but the “being there” of VR sucked me

in big time. One of my original posts way back was “really want to try VR and DCS for the first time, but it seems like you need to be a programmer and spend all day troubleshooting and adjusting based on what I am reading”.  Well despite all the assurances, all I do is download and adjust. 
and unless I want a blurry mess I get an inconsistent product that continues to tease. Either a beautiful experience while going through the laborious process of start up, load out, plan, configure then just when the bandit is in sight .S-L-I-D-E-S-H-O-W......     or the alternative is a blurry set up and configure off to do battle in a world that looks like I am flying a tequila bottle.  
It’s not VR ready. Looks awesome and works great in 2D so props big time but then its just a flight sim in my eyes. 
My choice, my consequences I know but it sure would be nice if they put some priority on getting whats here VR capable (if it even can be done).  
Have a great weekend! 

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

What i meant was that getting a 3090 will certainly upgrade your (VR) performance but probably not as high as you expect.

Also new headsets will get a higher resolution which means that yet again, PC specs need to go up to to follow.

I'm a bit affraid that VR will always have the same problem as 2D gaming.

New flightsim comes out... damn...my rig can barely run it on medium settings... getting new hardware... look how nice with everything 'almost' maxed out... there's the first big upgrade (we gonna improve the game should be read as "we gonna tackle your performance"... happens bit by bit until after update x you can't run everything on max anymore... no problem, my rig will last just until you think now it sucks and then they come with another upgrade (nice new clouds maybe) and your performance drops to a for you unplayable lever which makes you... update your rig again  and then we're back at "look how nice with everything 'almost' maxed out..." for another round.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

56 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

New flightsim comes out... damn...my rig can barely run it on medium settings... getting new hardware... look how nice with everything 'almost' maxed out... there's the first big upgrade (we gonna improve the game should be read as "we gonna tackle your performance"... happens bit by bit until after update x you can't run everything on max anymore... no problem, my rig will last just until you think now it sucks and then they come with another upgrade (nice new clouds maybe) and your performance drops to a for you unplayable lever which makes you... update your rig again  and then we're back at "look how nice with everything 'almost' maxed out..." for another round.

This assessment is pretty accurate... and, unfortunately, in this new era of wildly inflated hardware prices, upgrading will be prohibitive for most of us. The dev-artists are going to have to finally say, "that looks good enough....let's focus on making it smooth and playable." 🙂 DCS is just an amazing product, period... but if the GPU prices were like they were in 2017 when I purchased my GTX 1070 for $399... we'd be in better shape. We'll probably never see that again. Meanwhile, I'm probably going to downgrade to a 1080p large-screen setup as I'm not sure I'll be able to continue on in 4K in the future as I will never spend over $900 for a GPU.

Edited by wilbur81

Yup - great that the jitter is fixed. Now to get the visual quality up to / as close as 2D. I’m on ultra cloud settings and they are blurry.

• Like 2

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, 

I fly only VR with a quest 2, and I'm running 2.7 stable.

Clouds settings are on medium and I still have no contrast. All the clouds are looking puffy and overall blurry.

Was it supposed to be fixed lately ? Am I missing something ?

• 5 weeks later...
  • ED Team

If you are seeing a problem this is what we need. 

1. short track replay example so we can test the same circumstance

2. your system spec

3. your DCS settings

4. your VR headset settings

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

"If you are seeing a problem this is what we need."

Are you saying that nobody on the team has any issues with VR clouds?  Just want to know if this is really that rare. It is a pretty simple test with a rift S. Run any mission in VR with the new clouds and you will see the shimmering and aliased clouds that do not have much definition.  If you still have any missions with the old clouds the shimmering is gone. 

i7 9700k 

2070 super

32 gb ram

win 10

You can start with the default VR settings. I have tested with all settings turned up ,including AA to 4x just to see if it helped but the shimmer and aliasing are still there. 

I run with no ASW in VR and 1.0 PD. I don't think it is my headset as the graphic issues run from left to right through the middle third of the view and not the entire view. 

The frames are great on NTTR and I don't notice much slowdown unless I push it with AI objects. I mostly fly the HUEY these days but I have the same issues in all aircraft.

I hope there is still some focus on this as it really does hamper the VR experience. The shimmer is even present with no clouds at all.

Hope this helps. 

• Like 3

"If you are seeing a problem this is what we need."

Are you saying that nobody on the team has any issues with VR clouds?  Just want to know if this is really that rare. It is a pretty simple test with a rift S. Run any mission in VR with the new clouds and you will see the shimmering and aliased clouds that do not have much definition.  If you still have any missions with the old clouds the shimmering is gone. 

i7 9700k 
2070 super
32 gb ram
win 10

You can start with the default VR settings. I have tested with all settings turned up ,including AA to 4x just to see if it helped but the shimmer and aliasing are still there. 

I run with no ASW in VR and 1.0 PD. I don't think it is my headset as the graphic issues run from left to right through the middle third of the view and not the entire view. 

The frames are great on NTTR and I don't notice much slowdown unless I push it with AI objects. I mostly fly the HUEY these days but I have the same issues in all aircraft.

I hope there is still some focus on this as it really does hamper the VR experience. The shimmer is even present with no clouds at all.

Hope this helps. 
The shimmering generally in VR seems far worse than in 2.5.6 and it seems even worse now with the new clouds. I really can't see it being an easy fix unfortunately. A complete engine refactor such as Vulkan may address it but who knows. I'd love to understand the root cause of "the shimmers" as I've never experienced it in any other VR ready title. It's a shame as it is the only aspect for me that really takes away from an otherwise fantastic experience in VR.

• 2 months later...

Anyone got a video showing the VR goggle view where the clouds don't make the game completely unplayable?
Haven't play since the 2,7 cloud update because they're so bad.  Jumped back on today and there has been no improvement.

AMD Ryzen 3950

32 gig RAM

RTX 2080TI
Oculus Rift s

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

• 1 month later...