Can't get SLAM-ER Sensor to work

Aigle2

Hello everyone, 

I can't get the terminal guidance of the F-18 to work. 
Camera quality is awful, I don't see anything on it. I tried warious distance from the missile, to little effect. 
It also seems like the camera is looking elsewhere than the missile. 

Also, the flight parameters don't seem to work.

Any advice ?

Aigle2

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aigle2 said:

Hello everyone, 

Camera quality is awful, I don't see anything on it. I tried warious distance from the missile, to little effect. 

Any advice ?

Aigle2

Just checking, but did you actually link the SLAM-ER to the AWW-13 datalink? (assuming you have the pod loaded to your aircraft)

Check at 3:23min

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I actually find the F18 SLAM-ER easier to control at terminal than the similar one in JF-17. Don't try to control it when it is doing it's profile run but near the end when it is headed for the target. Hold TDC down and move TDC to steer crosshairs over desired target and release TDC depress. It locks up automatically and there is no need for further steering. 

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
TM Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home x64 | 
My HOTAS Profiles

WHat do you mean by "awful" camera image? Can you show a screenshot, or short film?
It's far from what TGP can offer, it's probably worse than that in Mavs. It is what it is.

SLAM missiles are not intended to attack single vehicles, it's more HV structures weapon - for attacking ships, oil platforms, airfields or factories. You can guide it on vehicles but it's nearly impossible to identify vehicle on SLAM's camera.

Game-wise if you can't ID targets on F10 map, you won't be able to ID specific vehicle.

On 5/25/2021 at 9:17 PM, Aigle2 said:

Hello everyone, 

Any advice ?

Aigle2

Would be really good if you posted a recording of your actions or even better, track file. 

It works fine for me,  and I am always 80+ nmi from the impact point while using SLAM-ER,  so must be something with the way your mission or cockpit is set up for the task. 

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

13 minutes ago, Aigle2 said:

It worked this time. No idea what's going on. Even the flight altitudes works now !

Good! Your Hornet got scared you were about to publicly post hers misbehavior and decided to obey.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• 1 month later...

If someone would be so kind as to make a tutorial using Your voice to explain how to get the Slam-ER to not fly over the target ?
what would be really helpful for Me is to upload it as a Track File to the DCS Download/Users area, and I could listen and follow 
instructions and try to emulate them.  I could "Take Control" and learn to use this after so many hours of trying.

I have watched all of the YouTube videos and none of them help Me.

I am a retired Vet and have all the time in the world to learn, but the training area of DCS does not even seem to have any new F16 or F18 weapons systems.

Thank You so much for Your help with this, I appreciate it very much.

Clear Skies
      Mike

11 hours ago, ctguy1955 said:

If someone would be so kind as to make a tutorial using Your voice to explain how to get the Slam-ER to not fly over the target ?
what would be really helpful for Me is to upload it as a Track File to the DCS Download/Users area, and I could listen and follow 
instructions and try to emulate them.  I could "Take Control" and learn to use this after so many hours of trying.

I have watched all of the YouTube videos and none of them help Me.

I am a retired Vet and have all the time in the world to learn, but the training area of DCS does not even seem to have any new F16 or F18 weapons systems.

Thank You so much for Your help with this, I appreciate it very much.

Clear Skies
      Mike

I'll make a vid and a track sometime tomorrow unless someone beats me to it. SLAMER is not complete. The flight profiles are limited but workable.  Some weirdness like... setting flight profile to HIGH for a direct flight to target (no waypoints) will make the missile descend to 160 ft. and stay there till pop-up. With waypoints it works a bit different.

T1.trk

11 hours ago, Gripes323 said:

I'll make a vid and a track sometime tomorrow unless someone beats me to it. SLAMER is not complete. The flight profiles are limited but workable.  Some weirdness like... setting flight profile to HIGH for a direct flight to target (no waypoints) will make the missile descend to 160 ft. and stay there till pop-up. With waypoints it works a bit different.

OK, I finally got a chance to do this. I'll post a track first, see if you can follow my fumbling with the buttons.  This is a quick mission against 2 targets on Marianas map. If you haven't downloaded this map yet, I can repeat this hop in another theater.

Quick description:  2 SLAM ER's loaded + DL13.  The first missile on Sta 7 is set for a direct flight to the target (WPT 5).  The second missile follows WPT 3 and WPT 4, then the target at WPT 6.    The missile on Sta 7 is paired up with video channel 7 on DL13,  Sta 3 is paired with channel 3.

While I was setting this up, the missiles were still running their alignment.  Once the alignment was done (good 01), I selected Sta 7 for the first launch (direct target) and changed DL13 video link to channel 7.  The flight profile for this flight was set to HIGH, which means... the missile will fly at 160 ft. all the way till pop-up... LOL  It's a bug but as long as we know what it does...  This only happens in direct to target profile.  MED and LOW options work correctly.

For Sta 3 missile, I set the LOW profile which makes the missile fly at 5000 ft. via all steer points. When the last steer point (before target) is reached, the missile drops to 160 ft. and stays there till the pop.  I had 2 steer points, WPT 3 and WPT 4.

Well, try it.  I can make a vid with brief descriptions of what I was fumbling through if you need it.

T1.trk

Here's the vid:  https://youtu.be/hCVqws-z0b4

Edited by Gripes323
  • Like 1

Thank You so much, this has been driving Me crazy.    I know with the F18 and Anti ship Harm, not all of them always hit the ship, but when a Slam flies over a target
and Ive tried to do correct ground height that I am doing something very wrong.   I appreciate the help very much !!!

Mike

I'm Loving this weapon, but my only problem is the final target waypoint isn't where it should be if I manually enter the coordinates.

As a pre-planned WP in the editor, it's GREAT - but If I plug in the coordinates precisely, it's quite a bit off.

Yes 😉, i've checked the coordinates in the HSI data pages and map, and they are correct.  AND height too.  

Hey ho.

Edited by MrReynolds

23 hours ago, MrReynolds said:

but If I plug in the coordinates precisely, it's quite a bit off.

Probably you're using wrong coordinates format. While in F10 map you can change displayed format with LAlt+Y.

1 hour ago, Foka said:

Probably you're using wrong coordinates format. While in F10 map you can change displayed format with LAlt+Y.

Thanks for that, I'll take a look, but they DO seem to match up (WP / clicked target)......

I'll edit with a verification 🙂

Just like my SLAMs - you're comment is aimed so true and right!

The coordinates were "only" 100th of decimals.  Now with 1000ths................. Big badda Boom

Edited by MrReynolds