VR Institutionalized Pilot

DishDoggie

institutionalized
[ˌinstəˈt(y)o͞oSH(ə)nəlˌīzd]

ADJECTIVE
  1. established in practice or custom.
    "the danger of discrimination becoming institutionalized"
  2. established as part of an official organization.
    "one of the most insidious byproducts of the Cold War, institutionalized secrecy"
  3. (of a person) apathetic and dependent after a long period in an institution.
    "I became less institutionalized, more able to function as an individual"

Hello: 

Mission Facts:

I Fly DCS in VR. I never use DCS in a 2D Monitor Only Configuration Because VR is so Real. I Figure the 2D way can be done just as easy as my Skill Level is reached in VR. I Fly the UH-1 Huey 99% of my time in DCS. I've gotten Good at it. I have 3 VR headsets now Moving from one to the upgrade next VR headsets my current VR Gear is the HP Reverb. 

Mission Discovery:
    Shocking to my Discovery, I find out that when Working in the Editor, and having a need for testing a Mission Editor session, I jump into the Huey for a test of my Custom Mission. I had my Joy Stick and Throttle and Rudder Peds Already Plugged in. I thought, I can test this real fast. (No need to plug in the VR Headset) I found out that I could not Fly worth a Damn in the Huey in 2D mode. I was Flopping around like a Beginner. This is when I Discovered I have become VR INSTITUTIONALIZED PILOTING.

Mission Statement:
    I had No Ability to tell where I was in the Seat of the Huey in the Flat Screen world. I felt Totally Disconnected from the Aircraft to the Point that I lost all ability to Feel if I needed movement in all directions of the Cyclic till it was just to late then over correcting and the direction of moving backwards was non stop as I could not Find Center Stick to Hover. This is when I realized I was a VR INSTITUIONALIZED PILOT. My Brain has become so use to only flying in VR that when confronted with the 2D version of Flying the HUEY my Brain could not manage the needed skill set to deal with it.

Mission Request:
    Are you a HUEY Pilot in VR like me?
    Do You Have Hundreds in not 1000's of Hours Flying in VR ONLY.
    Have You Found This Out For Yourself?
    Will You Try This Out?
    Am I the Only One?

• Like 7

I can certainly safely say , I can only fly in VR now.

Been that way for me since Jan 2017.

• Like 3

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

As my (misspelled) handle implies, I only fly in VR.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

+1 here

Given the choice, I have absolutely no idea why anyone would choose to fly 2D.

I only got the Huey after I got my G2 so have ONLY flown it in VR. I'd compare learning to fly it in VR with learning to ride a bike or to ski IRL. All feel and balance. Fantastic fun. Really enjoying practicing landings in a hurry from speed at the moment, slamming the brakes on with the cyclic, cutting collective and catching it at transition. Can't believe I'd be able to judge that in 2D and won't be trying anytime soon.

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

VR takes away the 3rd person abstraction of flying/driving something that only can be watched through a small distant window (which cuts away a lot of visual information of the virtual moving object). Since VR increases your general peripheral perception so much, the simulation gets much more natural or "real" compared to the limited information from a monitor where you have to adapt to. It's a completely different approach of learning to control something.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

DCS (or even gaming in general) without VR has become unimaginable for me

The day that VR is no longer supported in DCS (probably never luckily 😉), I'll be switching to another hobby

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

No watching interactive movies about flying in a flight simulator for me either.  I'd rather feel like I'm actually in the cockpit, so its VR only for me as well.

Edited by eaglecash867
  • Like 3

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

17 minutes ago, sirrah said:

DCS (or even gaming in general) without VR has become unimaginable for me

The day that VR is no longer supported in DCS (probably never luckily 😉), I'll be switching to another hobby

Be sure to express your opinion in the slew of threads started by the killjoys who hate VR and want to make it miserable.

• Like 2

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Be sure to express your opinion in the slew of threads started by the killjoys who hate VR and want to make it miserable.

Miserable to you is not being able to stick your head through solid material to have an unimpeded view of the guy trying to shoot you down? In a simulator which has the defining characteristic of realism?

No need for the personal attacks, and I think you need to rethink what it is you're actually going on about. What I proposed takes nothing away from anybody's experience except being able to stick their heads through solid objects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

Be sure to express your opinion in the slew of threads started by the killjoys who hate VR and want to make it miserable.

Well, as long as it can be turned off, I don't really have a problem with that feature.
I think however, @kablamoman (despite all his good intentions) is heavily underestimating the impact it will have on the already awfully splintered MP community.

But let's not derail this thread... This thread is about the unconditional love for VR 🥰

• Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

39 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Well, as long as it can be turned off, I don't really have a problem with that feature.
I think however, @kablamoman (despite all his good intentions) is heavily underestimating the impact it will have on the already awfully splintered MP community.

But let's not derail this thread... This thread is about the unconditional love for VR 🥰

:thumbup:

Indeed!

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

49 minutes ago, sirrah said:

I get what you are saying about derailing but a poor implementation of VR limits will make that love very conditional. 

And they have gotten ED's attention. 

If you love it, you have to be just as loud as those that would destroy it.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

2 hours ago, kablamoman said:

Miserable to you is not being able to stick your head through solid material to have an unimpeded view of the guy trying to shoot you down? In a simulator which has the defining characteristic of realism?

No need for the personal attacks, and I think you need to rethink what it is you're actually going on about. What I proposed takes nothing away from anybody's experience except being able to stick their heads through solid objects.

Oh please! This is just pure BS. TrackIR is a 100x more of a cheat than VR will ever be. Do you know how I know this? Because I used TrackIR for years before I switched to VR. 

Have you tried VR? Seriously have you? Do you know how difficult it is to check your six in VR compared to Track IR????

Pulling 9g's but need to quickly check 6 or track that fighter at beam? That's not a problem with TrackIR but somehow it's a sin against God and Humanity if you can lean through your canopy, something that I can tell you that has given me absolutely, and I mean no advantage in combat, ever. In fact it's easier to bank the plane and turn my head than it is to physically move my whole body so that I can "peek" over the side of the cockpit. 

Back on topic, VR is awesome in DCS, and I probably would not be playing it anymore if I did not have VR. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 4

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

48 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

I get what you are saying about derailing but a poor implementation of VR limits will make that love very conditional. 

And they have gotten ED's attention. 

If you love it, you have to be just as loud as those that would destroy it.

Destroy it?  lmao

"killjoys"

What destroys the immersion into a simulation that claims to be one of the best is when I can check my six and would have to catch myself from clipping through the canopy glass of the 109 or 190.  Because this is what pilots in reality did during the war.  Must have been some sort of wartime cover up, all their pilots were relatives of Danny Phantom.

The only killjoys here are the folks that want to keep DCS VR a step back, preferring to enforce every and all VR players to use the same patchy, jarring implementation that's been there from the beginning.  Or the people that screech with whataboutwhataboutism like this fellow above my comment.

Edited by Magic Zach

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

nstitutionalized
[ˌinstəˈt(y)o͞oSH(ə)nəlˌīzd]

ADJECTIVE
  1. established in practice or custom.
    "the danger of discrimination becoming institutionalized"
  2. established as part of an official organization.
    "one of the most insidious byproducts of the Cold War, institutionalized secrecy"
  3. (of a person) apathetic and dependent after a long period in an institution.
    "I became less institutionalized, more able to function as an individual"

Well I have enjoyed reading and I will say (Because I Did Start This) I had no desire to turn this into VR Bashing. I LOVE VR and DCS World is the Best Use of VR I have found Period.
    If you want it Kill VR then I say You don't tug on Superman's cape, You don't spit into the wind, You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger And you don't mess around with VR in DCS World. 
    Please Go Start Your Own Free Topic. If I have Confused You Please reread The Above Definition of MY TOPIC. Thank You VR Lovers I stand with you. I never cheat with head through the glass BS and I agree TrackIR is a Bigger advantage then VR will or Could ever be. You Think the "Killjoys" know about the Brain telepathy to VR Headset interface being developed for us to think Lock On to that "Kiljoy" Shoot missile at that "Killjoy" Well Good-By Best of Luck All.
  • Like 3

To add, I get Huey out of the current chopter lineup because it looks best in VR hands down! It is a breeze to fly and tour around with.

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

In 2D I’m sitting on a chair in my room in front of a computer screen. If my phone blinks I check to see who it is. I frequently hit pause, go downstairs and grab a drink, check out what my wife is watching on tv, then go upstairs and unpause. In VR I am sitting in a cockpit at 20,000 feet 100% occupied by flying the sim. I would no more consider pausing and doing something else than I would consider jumping out of a plane. It reminds me of mountain climbing or riding a motorcycle. Totally immersive. 

• Like 3

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

5 minutes ago, DucS2r said:

In 2D I’m sitting on a chair in my room in front of a computer screen. If my phone blinks I check to see who it is. I frequently hit pause, go downstairs and grab a drink, check out what my wife is watching on tv, then go upstairs and unpause. In VR I am sitting in a cockpit at 20,000 feet 100% occupied by flying the sim. I would no more consider pausing and doing something else than I would consider jumping out of a plane. It reminds me of mountain climbing or riding a motorcycle. Totally immersive. 

Good description - that is what VR is all about. The immersion is unmatched. 

• Like 2

Don B

I hope to use the current state of VR for a long time to come - except, of course, for a performance update.

Yes, I fly usually my spacious Tomcat and thus have no problem of sticking the head out of the window, but even in my beloved 109 it won't happen.

Why?

Because I don't cheat myself.

To the contrary, I even make it harder for me and try to operate every switch manually, so no hotas with buttons which weren't on the real thing (exept a few necessary exceptions), I cuss because I can't find the bad guy on my 6 due to stuff in my field of view, I'm soaked after a dogfight, because I move as much around as I would (most probably) in the real thing, I have a sore neck for quiet a while, because I'm getting older and are not as flexible in my neck any more, I go thrue every pain and get shot out of the sky because I don't cheat intentionally, no, not on the other guys / AI, I don't cheat on me, too not loose that immersion that keeps me for hours in the pit and enjoying every second. 

I don't enjoy that other ww2 sim, where suddenly my whole plane moves with my head for me just bending forward to look at the gauges, but I learned that this would be switchable, I just have to check it. 

So, better keep my vr dream the way it is now and start to learn not to cheat on yourself. 

• Like 3

Hi, I'm Auger and I'm a DCS VR addict...   An unrepentant DCS VR addict.

I've flown many years in flat screen, since the days of Chuck Yeagers Air Combat and the beginning of Warbirds MMO.

I can only fly in VR now and I break into cold sweats when I think of returning to a flat screen. I think I might need a support group..............

Nah... on second thought, gonna check the price on the Reverb G2 to replace my Rift S, then fire up DCS and go back to learning the Harrier, and practicing my landings in the Huey.

• Like 2

I recently went from the Rift S to the G2. It is a night and day difference to me and has made me go 100% VR, a very good thing indeed. Takes a few weeks to get everything tuned properly, it is not plug and play like the Rift, but it is a major upgrade. As long as you have the horsepower to run it, I think you will love it. 

• Like 1

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

MY System for VR-HP G2

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
System Name    GAMING-PC
System Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model    X570 GAMING X
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core Processor, 3501 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
Locale    United States
Time Zone    Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    31.0 GB
Available Physical Memory    26.4 GB
Total Virtual Memory    37.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory    30.9 GB

Adapter Description    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Factory OC 11GB 

1 hour ago, Auger said:

Hi, I'm Auger and I'm a DCS VR addict...   An unrepentant DCS VR addict.

<snip>

Amen bro, me too!

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control