Apache MFD from Total Controls

JackFlash

I have both Cougar MFD‘s and Total Controls MPD‘s. 
Yes, the MPD‘s are more expensive, but qualitywise they play definitely in A higher league than the Cougar‘s.

I‘ m more than happy with the Total Controls MPD‘s and highly recommend them if you want quality.

Also note, that Total Controls isn‘t a big manufactorer, but a very small company. They can only build small production series which could make it difficult getting the same low priced fur supplies. Same for the costs of assembly the devices.

• Like 2

DCS version2.9.5.55918
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - OH-58D - UH-60L(Mod) - OH-6A(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) - Kola — Waiting for: BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

• 3 weeks later...

Are you guys going to do a Tedac controller? Apache MPD quality bitter! Nicht KA-50 Abris quality bitter!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate. OpenXR, Open XR tool kit disabled.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC.

Vaicom user. Virpil Mongoose base CM3 & Mongoose stick CM2 (not set for dead stick), Virpil TCS with apache Grip. MFG pedals with damper upgrade. Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.

On 1/20/2023 at 10:35 PM, Rogue Trooper said:

Are you guys going to do a Tedac controller? Apache MPD quality bitter! Nicht KA-50 Abris quality bitter!

That would be a dream, but it a crazy complex design and I do not think we can find economy in it. I know Komodo is working on it. Check it out. 

My latest project, the Multi Function Button Box can be found at Kickstarter.

• 2 weeks later...

Received my MFD earlier this week.  Have it now in place and configured for use as an MFD in the Apache, and also as a AMPD on the F18.

Living in the UK, we have an import tax level that isn't applied for the cost of a single MFD, which is rather nice.  On top of that, I wanted to try it out before potentially stumping up for another.

Thoughts:

- Came fairly promptly and well boxed

- Manual is just two pages (in English), and that's enough

- Config is basically plug it in, and press a few buttons.  Took me under a min, for the basics, followed by the mapping within DCS by aircraft

- It's big enough to allow mounting of a TM MFD inside, and still having room to run the TM USB cable around

- As already mentioned, buttons are MUCH more tactile, with a definitive click to it, unlike the Cougar MFDs

In short, I'm a very happy bunny.  No, it's not cheap, but does feel very solid and makes the TM units look like toys in comparison.  Happily recommended.

• Like 5

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 11:30 PM, Mr_sukebe said:

It's big enough to allow mounting of a TM MFD inside,

For what reason/use? Currently got 2xTMs for A10 mounted on a face plate on a 10.4"screen, and considering separate MPDs for the AH?

Edited by Leg2ion

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

54 minutes ago, Leg2ion said:

For what reason/use?

I think the idea is if you fly in VR you can have both sets in front of you, and depending on the aircraft you are in, press buttons on the appropriate bezel.  I don't fly in VR, so I can't comment on how well this might work.  I would think it would take some getting used to.

This is obviously less useful if you don't fly VR, and have a screen behind them with exported displays. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leg2ion said:

For what reason/use? Currently got 2xTMs for A10 mounted on a face plate on a 10.4"screen, and considering separate MPDs for the AH?

I already own two of the TM MFDs and fly most aircraft in game.

The simplest setup would be to use say the TC MFD on the left, and a TM MFD on the right.  It would be great to mount the 2nd TM MFD lower centre for use in say the F18.  However, space unfortunately prevents that.  In addition, whilst I really rate the TC MFD, I find it easier to use the TM MFD in VR as there are fewer buttons to misunderstand.  So whilst flying in say a Harrier or F16, I'd rather use just the TM units.

With the TC mounted to the left and a TM MFD mounted within that, I can use:

- The TMs for say the F16, A10

- The TC and the right hand TM for the Apache

- All three MFDs with the F18, with the TC being used for the lower centre unit

Hope that makes sense. 

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Caps Lock said:

@JackFlash

Just recently the dimmer knobs stopped working on my Total Controls MPDS. They still dim the MPDS in game, but the TV monitors are not responding like they used to. Do you have any ideas what I can trouble shoot?

Thanks

Did this happen after the last update. It sound like an issue with the viewport export. If the knob turns in game, there should not be a hardware issue, but rather a DCS issue.

• ED Team

Just checked mine in open beta and all seems ok, all dials working in game and screen dims and brightens 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• BIGNEWY pinned this topic
  • 8 months later...
9 hours ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Hi @JackFlash

I've ordered these today. Can you tell me what the current wait time is on the MFD's and mounts please?

Thanks

Hi there!

We are experiencing very high order volumes right now, but they will ship latest by next Monday. It will be worth the wait. 😊

• Like 1

Id like to order a keyboard unit, I dont see it in the store....where can I find it?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+/ AH64D grip/custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 + Odyssey Ark | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro
 My wallpaper and skins

On 2/29/2024 at 6:40 PM, Hammer1-1 said:

Id like to order a keyboard unit, I dont see it in the store....where can I find it?

It is not ready yet. Stay tuned!