Community A-4E-C v2.2 (October 2023)

Go to solution Solved by plusnine,

It is very, very, very rare that ED includes non-modules in their videos, I tend to overthink, of course.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

29 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

It is very, very, very rare that ED includes non-modules in their videos, I tend to overthink, of course.

This is like probably the 6th time or so ED and at least once also HB using A-4 in their promotional videos 🙂

• Like 4

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

That's why I say I tend to overthink...or I can be simply -- wrong.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 1/4/2023 at 2:06 PM, Gianky said:

Actually, they used the A-4 in other occasions... of course, it would be great if the A-4 would be adopted by ED as the third free module for the basic game. I honestly don't know why they didn't do that, yet!

Besides it being illegal, for the reasons mentioned on the very first page of this thread in the FAQ.

-edit

Actually, this FAQ is not as detailed as the old one. The short version : because the developers don't want to do that.

Edited by Mars Exulte

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

10 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

Besides it being illegal, for the reasons mentioned on the very first page of this thread in the FAQ.

-edit

Actually, this FAQ is not as detailed as the old one. The short version : because the developers don't want to do that.

Well, the current FAQ goes like this:

«Q: Are there any plans to obtain the Eagle Dynamics SDK, make the module official, or make the module a part of the default DCS install package?

No, the A-4E-C will continue on as a free and open-source resource anyone can download and install to enjoy.»

What I was suggesting would be compatible, at least with the "free" and "anyone can download and installt to enjoy" parts, not sure about the open-source one. IMHO, having the A-4 as the third free (and only FF, combat ready) module of DCS World would be a win win for ED and the developers; maybe they could think about it one more time.

Edited by Gianky
Italicized the quotation
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

-edit

Because if it's commercialized it requires the License from McDonnel Douglas / Boeing, in which case, it would likely not be "free" after that.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

4 hours ago, JNelson said:

This is not necessarily true look at the m-2000.

The sun won't necessarily come up tomorrow, but statistically, it probably will. Also, in all this, people are continuing to ignore the developers themselves. You know, the people who own it and developed it.

Unless they made some grand announcement lately I missed, they specifically said they don't want to because it is expensive, time consuming, legal headache (many people besides just the few currently involved have come and gone, they would ALL have to be contacted, so realistically all this they've done would go in the trash and they'd start from scratch, most mods do NOT make suitable ''professional conversions'' for this very reason), and they don't want to deal with the community demanding crap all the time.

The first and foremost reason, legality and ''feasability'' aside, is because *they don't want to*. That is literally the single most relevant point, and that people don't get that reallllly drives home the part about them not wanting to deal with the community.

Edited by Mars Exulte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

23 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

The sun won't necessarily come up tomorrow, but statistically, it probably will. Also, in all this, people are continuing to ignore the developers themselves. You know, the people who own it and developed it.

Unless they made some grand announcement lately I missed, they specifically said they don't want to because it is expensive, time consuming, legal headache (many people besides just the few currently involved have come and gone, they would ALL have to be contacted, so realistically all this they've done would go in the trash and they'd start from scratch, most mods do NOT make suitable ''professional conversions'' for this very reason), and they don't want to deal with the community demanding crap all the time.

The first and foremost reason, legality and ''feasability'' aside, is because *they don't want to*. That is literally the single most relevant point, and that people don't get that reallllly drives home the part about them not wanting to deal with the community.

I was just pointing out that the licensing is rarely an issue to modules and definitely not the cause for the lack of official A-4. It's definitely less certain than the sun coming up 😛

You are certainly correct a lot of the assets from the mod are unusable due to people's involvement (and licensing of the base assets for the 3d work) a lot of work would have to be redone. The module requires a lot of work regardless. It wouldn't all go in the trash but at the end of the day the A-4 for a lot of people was a hobby project and not every hobby can be turned into a monetised product. I say that as someone who wrote 60,000 lines for the A-4 project.

It's understandable that people want the opposite to be true because they really want their A-4 as an official module. It's hard to fault people for their enthusiasm for the project and wanting it to be official.

Edited by JNelson
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

🙄 By now - I can't but ask myself if ED did a disservice to the A-4E by honoring it into their clips. Both parties made it very clear that has no implications and was just a nod to a wonderful community project and still... here we are pointlessly speculating and discussing .

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I love the A-4E-C and I like that it is and will stay an open source community project. Everybody is able to download and install it at will. So, in fact it is an (inofficial) free module already.

The only thing what ED could do (if they are really love this community mod as it seems to be), is to open the DCS SDK for the A-4E-C developers, so they could enhance the capabilites of the mod (e.g. AGM-12 Bullpup or AGM-62 Walleye).

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

On 12/31/2022 at 3:31 PM, yufighter said:

I think these screenshots can help to solve this problem present in the last version as well. I hope that the creators of mods where visibility is not possible in the entire range from 3 to 140 degrees (A -4, SK 60 and others) will fix the bug and solve the problem.

Sorry for my Google English!

Унтитлед 3.ави
Унтитлед 2.ави  

This is a strange an unusual, but pernicious bug. It happens only very rarely and we don't have a good explanation as t why. My best guess is it has something to do with video cards or drivers interacting with DCS and the module's cockpit construction, but since it's so difficult to replicate, we've never been able to identify the source and attempt to address it.

4 hours ago, plusnine said:

This is a strange an unusual, but pernicious bug. It happens only very rarely and we don't have a good explanation as t why. My best guess is it has something to do with video cards or drivers interacting with DCS and the module's cockpit construction, but since it's so difficult to replicate, we've never been able to identify the source and attempt to address it.

I didn't have this problem with previous versions of the A4. I had the same problem before with some other mods and currently with SK60 and A4. I'll try to find an older version.

GRAPHICS.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the Radio. I make ogg files for my aircraft radios. Either messages or music. The files work great in the A4-e except for one thing. I can not control the volume. The radio volume button turns OK. However the volume of the sound remains the same.  Does the radio volume work seperately from the general sound volume?  It does in my other aircraft. But not in the A4-e.  I have tried a number of key binds for the Radio Volume Knob.  The knob turns, but the sound volume never changes.

Your Display Adapter does not meet minimum requirements to run the sim.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:17 PM, yufighter said:

I didn't have this problem with previous versions of the A4. I had the same problem before with some other mods and currently with SK60 and A4. I'll try to find an older version.

GRAPHICS.png

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

On 1/25/2023 at 8:05 PM, yufighter said:

Yes, unfortunately I have an older computer model, but still all official models work fine. Only these two mods in the new versions have this specific problem.

To start with, one of the updates came alongside an open beta update, and you need to run at least that version of the open beta for the latest 2.xx A-4e release (and vice-versa, if I'm not mistaken).

Second, it's a miracle you're running this game on an HD6670. The minimum requirement for 2.8 (which is the current stable build now), from the website page, is an "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X". (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/)

Third, the official models use official source code that isn't available to modders, and that means they don't need to use workarounds. The A-4e, being nearly as good as an official module, probably needs better than minimum specs because it uses some workarounds that aren't as efficient, and that's assuming it also isn't just because a modding team isn't as 'on top' of keeping code perfectly efficient.

Quite frankly, I think DCS ought to already have it's minimum specs at a GTX 780 and Sandybridge (2nd gen) i3 CPU, and drop the AMD FX requirements as AMD doesn't have anything in that performance range (they have way better or worse).

Keep in mind, everyone is begging ED to become multi-threaded, so I suspect, along with the necessary engine overhaul required to do this, the new minimum specs might be something like a 4th gen i3 and a GTX 970 equivalent with at least 4GB VRAM. Just a guess, I don't actually know.

Hello all, and thanks for this great mod. I thought the A-4 pilots here might enjoy a little 21st century fun with the A-4.

I've got 20 AI A-4 launching from and 10 landing on the Brazilian carrier Sao Paulo.

After arriving very late to the DCS world sim and seeing all the great Naval Aviation Mods out there I thought how cool would it be if all these mods could be used together.

So I've been working on making that happen :). Yeah I'm a little crazy...........  But because of the wonderful mod community here on the site I've made surprising progress.

Updates to follow🙂

Edited by Beldin
update text
  • Like 4