OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Sr.:

Yep, Windows Security.

Here in particular. Good way to test would be to shut it off and see if it occurs.

Screenshot 2022-08-28 153926.jpg

THX ! i will try it

AMD 7800X3D | Asus TUF Gaming X670E Plus | Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 64GB @6000MHz| NVIDIA 4090 FE | DCS only @ M.2 WD SN850X 1TB | Quest 3 & Virtual Desktop | TM Warthog | TM Pedals | | My F-18 Rogers SimPit

2 hours ago, dooom said:

ok that worked - thanks.

I have a question about upscaling for the reverb g2.  should i be overiiding my resolution if i am using the upscaler?  Right now i am overriding resolution to 3160 and have upscaler at about 70% (2120-ish)  It feels like a crap shoot - is there a logic to it i dont understand?  i read the oxr site about upscaling but it doesnt really make sense to my old brain.

i just want to be able to read my f18 screens more clearly.

Shoot for 77% to start with, that's analogous to the old AMD FSR 1.0 ultra quality setting. It will always be better image quality without though.

The upscaling is only really required if you're needing to improve performance. With the 6900xt you should be able to run 3160 without needing to upscale and still hold 45Hz reprojection (if running 90Hz) on or 60Hz if not relying on reprojection and able to run the G2 at 60Hz.

Beating refresh rate will absolutely give you the clearest image quality, even if you need to drop resolution to achieve it consistently.

60Hz, 2480+MSAAx2 (+MFAA although you can't use it being Nvidia only) gives a better image quality for me then 3160 with better performance, it's all still perfectly readable as well.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Unfortuantely 60Hz makes me get headaches and ramps up the motion sickness.

should i even be overriding resolution?  The G2 is 2160x2160 so am I tanking performance by overriding to 3160?

There are soooooo many variables that i am struggling with 😞  i really need to meet with someone on discord and work through things. I really feel like i am not getting the performance i should be getting out of my 6900xt 5800x setup.

Edited by dooom

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

30 minutes ago, dooom said:

Unfortuantely 60Hz makes me get headaches and ramps up the motion sickness.

Ok so 60Hz is out, your best bet is to rely on running 90Hz and enable reprojection.

should i even be overriding resolution?  The G2 is 2160x2160 so am I tanking performance by overriding to 3160?

The panel resolution of the G2 is 2160x2160, however to account for lens distortion the render frame needs to be 3160; this has been confirmed by HP technical as being correct.  It's really confusing and would have been far easier to tell us it's rendering at 2160 rather than 2160x1.463...

There are soooooo many variables that i am struggling with 😞  i really need to meet with someone on discord and work through things. I really feel like i am not getting the performance i should be getting out of my 6900xt 5800x setup.

I'm on thuds discord, yell any time and I'll do my best 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Thanks - I think I'll start a new thread and just post all of my settings at once.  Then i have an archive and can also update them based off people's input.  I'll look for Thud's discord.

Could i ask you to watch for my settings thread and just comment on whether there are any glaring screwups i need to change asap?

thanks so much for your offer to help.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

What's the headroom line mean?

Running WMR @ 60Hz...

In game flying over Batumi I get:

fps 61.0

CPU headroom +22% (6.8ms)

App CPU: 7597

App GPU: 12082

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Am 28.8.2022 um 22:40 schrieb Sr.:

Yep, Windows Security.

Here in particular. Good way to test would be to shut it off and see if it occurs.

Screenshot 2022-08-28 153926.jpg

That was the problem. DCS will now restart as fast as before. Thank you very much for the help! 🙏

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D | Asus TUF Gaming X670E Plus | Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 64GB @6000MHz| NVIDIA 4090 FE | DCS only @ M.2 WD SN850X 1TB | Quest 3 & Virtual Desktop | TM Warthog | TM Pedals | | My F-18 Rogers SimPit

Hey guys, wondering if I might be able to get some help or direction.

I know OpenXR isn't a magic bullet that makes VR run 100 FPS, but with 5600X/3070/32GB/G2 I did not see any difference going from SteamVR to OpenXR. I am on newest DCS version 2.7.17, everything has been cleaned/repaired, running no mods of any sort. Latest version of Windows 10. I can confirm that OpenXR toolkit also works, but I have to enable NIS to gain any additional performance.

The benchmark I like to use is to load the "Hard - Summer" instant action mission of the A-10C. Flying around I get around 35 - 40 fps regardless if I use OpenXR or SteamVR. I am a little sad to see everyone else here report performance increase that allowed them playable FPS with high texture settings etc.

Anyone know where I might have gone wrong?

Edited by JazonXD

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

vor 8 Minuten schrieb JazonXD:

Hey guys, wondering if I might be able to get some help or direction.

I know OpenXR isn't a magic bullet that makes VR run 100 FPS, but with 5600X/3070/32GB/G2 I did not see any difference going from SteamVR to OpenXR. I am on newest DCS version 2.7.17, everything has been cleaned/repaired, running no mods of any sort. Latest version of Windows 10. I can confirm that OpenXR toolkit also works, but I have to enable NIS to gain any additional performance.

The benchmark I like to use is to load the "Hard - Summer" instant action mission of the A-10C. Flying around I get around 35 - 40 fps regardless if I use OpenXR or SteamVR. I am a little sad to see everyone else here report performance increase that allowed them playable FPS with high texture settings etc.

Anyone know where I might have gone wrong?

I tried OpenXR two Days ago and my Performance was actually worse than with SteamVR. Im happy with SteamVR and FSR.

• Like 1

Win7 64bit Ultimate / MSI MPOWER Z97 / i7 4790K@4,4GHz / Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E / EVGA GTX980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 / 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 / Creative SB X-Fi / Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB SSD / 1TB WD Black Caviar HD / Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W / Be Quiet Base 800 / TM Warthog HOTAS / TrackIR 5

OpenXR is definitely more smooth for me on my system than what I've been able to achieve with Steam even running both at the same resolution. However I'm still getting dips into the low 40's and high 30's even when trying to lock my GPU to 45fps when I'm at low altitudes or on the ground. I'm wondering what further I could do to perhaps tune that without ditching MSAA 2x (sorry the jaggies are too distracting without it and I can't run a high enough res to minimize them)?

I'm forcing the headset to run at 2432x3282 and I'm not using FSR in OpenXR since it seems to be less clear than forcing a lower resolution, unless I'm doing something wrong. I have my GPU clocked to run to a max of 2400mHz with no vram overclock. My CPU is running at 4.5gHz and the ram is just running stock timings. Attached are my current display settings and any input is appreciated since flying in VR is addicting.

Screen_220831_190228.png

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro
Matrix: @seven10:matrix.jointspecialforces.org

I'd turn down visibility to medium and clouds down from ultra, also secondary shadows and cockpit global illumination, I think you might just be saturating your GPU.

8 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I'd turn down visibility to medium and clouds down from ultra, also secondary shadows and cockpit global illumination, I think you might just be saturating your GPU.

Honestly Id turn the clouds down from ultra and make shadows flat. Those two are by far the biggest FPS killer for VR right now. My system can barely handle clouds and shadows for some odd reason, but I can max out everything else except MSAA...I keep that at 2x.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

26 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Honestly Id turn the clouds down from ultra and make shadows flat. Those two are by far the biggest FPS killer for VR right now. My system can barely handle clouds and shadows for some odd reason, but I can max out everything else except MSAA...I keep that at 2x.

I turn the shadows way down, no terrain shadows either. But man I got to have them clouds, once seen in Ultra in VR it is very hard to go back. I will gladly dial back other stuff in order to be able to maintain my clouds.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, seven10 said:

OpenXR is definitely more smooth for me on my system than what I've been able to achieve with Steam even running both at the same resolution. However I'm still getting dips into the low 40's and high 30's even when trying to lock my GPU to 45fps when I'm at low altitudes or on the ground. I'm wondering what further I could do to perhaps tune that without ditching MSAA 2x (sorry the jaggies are too distracting without it and I can't run a high enough res to minimize them)?

I'm forcing the headset to run at 2432x3282 and I'm not using FSR in OpenXR since it seems to be less clear than forcing a lower resolution, unless I'm doing something wrong. I have my GPU clocked to run to a max of 2400mHz with no vram overclock. My CPU is running at 4.5gHz and the ram is just running stock timings. Attached are my current display settings and any input is appreciated since flying in VR is addicting.

Screen_220831_190228.png

Is there XMP profile for your RAM? Or Way to enable SAM (Resizable BAR)

Screenshot 2022-08-31 192500.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Thanks for all the input, I didn't realize shadows or global illumination were that big of a hit on performance. For clouds though, I have to agree with dburne that it's really tough to go back after seeing them in ultra in VR. I haven't noticed much of a performance change with them either no matter the quality setting.

46 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Is there XMP profile for your RAM? Or Way to enable SAM (Resizable BAR)

Yes, I have the XMP profile selected for my RAM in my bios and AMD SmartAccess Memory is enabled in the Radeon settings.

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro

4 hours ago, seven10 said:

Thanks for all the input, I didn't realize shadows or global illumination were that big of a hit on performance. For clouds though, I have to agree with dburne that it's really tough to go back after seeing them in ultra in VR. I haven't noticed much of a performance change with them either no matter the quality setting.

Yes, I have the XMP profile selected for my RAM in my bios and AMD SmartAccess Memory is enabled in the Radeon settings.

Clouds make a huge perf difference...

Clouds 2.7.1.70290

So the Jitter is fixed in clouds which is fantastic news, however, unless they are set to ultra there is quite a bit of aliasing and stair stepping, especially when close to the horizon, or edge of a mountain side etc... however their is a significant performance hit associated with clouds, I have only tested light scattered clouds at the moment I will do a fuller test against other cloud types if I get a chance:

Frametime in ms  Delta From Baseline  
Ver Test Baseline GPU CPU GPU CPU  Changes
2.7.1.70290 55 Test 26  11.06 7.33     baseline 2.7.1.70290 (clear sky)
2.7.1.70290 56 Test 55 12.76 7.53 -1.70 -0.20 light scattered clouds (low)
2.7.1.70290 57 Test 55 12.92 7.72 -1.86 -0.39 light scattered clouds (standard)
2.7.1.70290 58 Test 55 13.13 7.53 -2.06 -0.20 light scattered clouds (high)
2.7.1.70290 59 Test 55 14.88 7.64 -3.82 -0.31 light scattered clouds (ultra)
2.7.1.70290 60 Test 55 14.95 7.64 -3.88 -0.31

light scattered clouds (ultra)test 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Yeah, I don't think there is a PC in existence which is capable to run clouds on ultra with more than 45 fps and a good pixel density across different scenarios. And the rest of clouds presets look about the same to me, so I ended up dropping them to low and forgetting they ever existed. Basically they are for 2d people and just consider they were never released for VR, maybe until 4090 comes out.

My personal rule of thumb for VR in DCS - to have a good performance don't try something from DCS (maps, modules, new effects etc.) in VR unless it's more than 2 years old if you have a top PC 🙂 That applies to 12700k @5.3GHz all P-cores (won a silicon lottery), 4000 DDR4 CL16 gear 1 and 3080ti with targeting 72 fps and 3000x3000 per eye. 

8 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Clouds make a huge perf difference...

Ah, thanks for that. How can I measure frametime when using OpenXR?

7 hours ago, Fiztex said:

Yeah, I don't think there is a PC in existence which is capable to run clouds on ultra with more than 45 fps and a good pixel density across different scenarios. And the rest of clouds presets look about the same to me, so I ended up dropping them to low and forgetting they ever existed. Basically they are for 2d people and just consider they were never released for VR, maybe until 4090 comes out.

My personal rule of thumb for VR in DCS - to have a good performance don't try something from DCS (maps, modules, new effects etc.) in VR unless it's more than 2 years old if you have a top PC 🙂 That applies to 12700k @5.3GHz all P-cores (won a silicon lottery), 4000 DDR4 CL16 gear 1 and 3080ti with targeting 72 fps and 3000x3000 per eye. 

I've been getting that feeling the more I fly in a variety of modules or maps in VR. I don't see myself going back to 2d unless it's to get screenshots or record, so I'll just keep waiting on the upcoming next gen GPUs and CPUs and tweak what I can on my system until then.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, seven10 said:

Ah, thanks for that. How can I measure frametime when using OpenXR?

its available with the MKI eyeball (via the FPS option in the OXRTK but you can't record it, unfortunately.  That said given the approach i take you get the delta for a particular feature, so it shouldn't make that much difference in the performance of that feature between SVR and OXR, it's more to give an indication of the delta.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

54 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

its available with the MKI eyeball (via the FPS option in the OXRTK but you can't record it, unfortunately.  That said given the approach i take you get the delta for a particular feature, so it shouldn't make that much difference in the performance of that feature between SVR and OXR, it's more to give an indication of the delta.

Gotcha, I thought I was missing a tool or feature that I was not aware of.

Just wanted to report, that yesterday I did a fresh setup of my PC-OS (Win 10).

Have not installed Steam (and SteamVR) yet, but was able to get DCS in VR running only with OpenXR.

Since I dont use Steam too much anyway, Ill keep it that way for now.

Have not been in DCS VR for quite a while, tried using OpenXR (which used to work) and I get the VR "exploding stars" screen but then nothing for a second, then it tries again and it's just black. Switched back to SteamVR (using OpenComposite Runtime Switcher) and all works fine..  IL-2, no issue starting in OpenXR. Am I brain-farting a switch in settings I missed?

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Discounting the minutes for the expected update... 112...

Changes for Windows Mixed Reality VR:

Performance improvements to Motion Reprojection
Fix case where incorrect D3DCompiler_47.dll was used
Support for XR_EXT_palm_pose
Changes for HoloLens:

Performance improvements to action system and action space location

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/reminder-this-is-how-wmr-openxr-updates-work/539112

Edited by pastranario3

1 hour ago, pastranario3 said:

Discounting the minutes for the expected update... 112...

Changes for Windows Mixed Reality VR:

Performance improvements to Motion Reprojection
Fix case where incorrect D3DCompiler_47.dll was used
Support for XR_EXT_palm_pose
Changes for HoloLens:

Performance improvements to action system and action space location

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/reminder-this-is-how-wmr-openxr-updates-work/539112

cool, just got the update.  will check it out later today.  thanks!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control