Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

13 minutes ago, obious said:

With your rig (I have the same graphics card), have you tried 90fps? I’m assuming performance (or lack there of it) is the reason that you’re locking to 45fps?

Seems smoother to me. Also note I do not use reprojection.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have a similar setup and the only drawback to running at 45 is that there is noticeable ghosting when looking out of either side of the cockpit or at the taxiway paving join lines for example. However, this is still preferable to a frame rate bouncing between 90 and say 75. I can maintain 90FPS in many situations, but not with a lot of AI and scripted bits going on.

MR for me is a no no in the Aero, the jelly wobble at the edges of objects is too distracting. I guess I could drop my settings, but I'd rather take advantage of the headset clarity after all that's why we spent circa 2K on it right?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Absolutely no M R for me. On a few multiplayer servers that are really loaded with static objects I find that locking to 45 fps in VB only helps the fight with it trying to get 90 fps. The graph lines are smoother. Single player I disable the lock, let roll. This seems to work very very well with my rig and my Aero running at 39 ppd so crisp ! and smooth. Running DFR/FR is truly amazing. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

16 minutes ago, Burt said:

Absolutely no M R for me. On a few multiplayer servers that are really loaded with static objects I find that locking to 45 fps in VB only helps the fight with it trying to get 90 fps. The graph lines are smoother. Single player I disable the lock, let roll. This seems to work very very well with my rig and my Aero running at 39 ppd so crisp ! and smooth. Running DFR/FR is truly amazing. 

Thanks. I have my Aero coming in a few weeks and was curious as to how people are running them (I’m coming from a QP at 90fps)

• Like 1

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Awesome ! You have plenty time to figure out your playing area and where your gonna place your base station / stations. That was the biggest deal with my transition from a G2 was were to place them. I had to take away glass picture frames off the wall because of the reflection issues that caused a few problems with tracking. I ended up with 2 base stations and as I’m figured in a seated position that was good enough. I have about 8 holes in the wall that I still have to plug up 😄

I think your in for a treat when you get the Varjo Aero - base stations - Varjos wonderful software and mbucchia’s magic. 
One thing I will highly… and I mean highly recommend is the StudioFormCreative comfort balance kit for the Varjo Aero, it’s also a game charger and it’s actually very reasonable it price.

https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/varjo-vr-3-xr-3-counter-balance-comfort-kit-200-gram-7oz

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Awesome ! You have plenty time to figure out your playing area and where your gonna place your base station / stations. That was the biggest deal with my transition from a G2 was were to place them. I had to take away glass picture frames off the wall because of the reflection issues that caused a few problems with tracking. I ended up with 2 base stations and as I’m figured in a seated position that was good enough. I have about 8 holes in the wall that I still have to plug up 😄

I think your in for a treat when you get the Varjo Aero - base stations - Varjos wonderful software and mbucchia’s magic. 
One thing I will highly… and I mean highly recommend is the StudioFormCreative comfort balance kit for the Varjo Aero, it’s also a game charger and it’s actually very reasonable it price.

https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/varjo-vr-3-xr-3-counter-balance-comfort-kit-200-gram-7oz

:thumbup:

Fully agree on that comfort strap.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, Burt said:

I had to take away glass picture frames off the wall because of the reflection issues that caused a few problems with tracking

Same here.. the glass frame was to my left so every time I looked down and left at the throttle I would "exit" the A10 and be hovering along side the GAU-8; I should have screen recorded 🤣🤣

• Like 1

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

I received my Aero yesterday. I got it going easily in IL-2 and Cliffs VR beta but was wondering what was stalling the load in DCS. It was just a black screen and hung there. I played around with the various suffixes suggested for the command line and found removing them altogether got it running. It looks fantastic without any further tweeking, but I’ll of course do some of that going forward. 

Edited by Snowy55
Spelling
  • Like 1

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

1 hour ago, Snowy55 said:

I received my Aero yesterday. I got it going easily in IL-2 and Cliffs VR beta but was wondering what was stalling the load in DCS. It was just a black screen and hung there. I played around with the various suffixes suggested for the command line and found removing them altogether got it running. It looks fantastic without any further tweeking, but I’ll of course do some of that going forward. 

If you are not running DCS-MT along with mbucchia's eye tracked dynamic foveated rendering with Open XR you are in for a real treat when you do.

Congrats on getting what I consider to be the  best headset currently available.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

I just set it up this morning @dburne thank you. I read in another thread you recommending it. Very easy to setup. I tested both IL-2 and DCS using CapFrame and it confirms what I felt that it is smooth. It reports I’m getting an average of 75 FPS. I’m very happy with that.

• Like 2

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

4 minutes ago, Snowy55 said:

I just set it up this morning @dburne thank you. I read in another thread you recommending it. Very easy to setup. I tested both IL-2 and DCS using CapFrame and it confirms what I felt that it is smooth. It reports I’m getting an average of 75 FPS. I’m very happy with that.

Good deal. Don't think it works with IL-2 but yeah it is great with DCS.

• Like 1

Don B

I have a very bad experience with the headset. Basically I'm not using it from the release date. Despite the thing its 90 Hz locked and no load at all at the Varjo Home environment I can see image is jittering during the head movement. When I go to the Analytic window I can see that all the latencies are negligible and close to 1.5ms, but display latency is huge 18-25ms. It should be less than 11.3 to make it synchronized with 90 fps. I've never seen that any other headset struggles with that. Does anyone else see this terrible thing? Please check your analytic window, what does it show, maybe I have a faulty unit?

3 minutes ago, Maksim Savelev said:

I have a very bad experience with the headset. Basically I'm not using it from the release date. Despite the thing its 90 Hz locked and no load at all at the Varjo Home environment I can see image is jittering during the head movement. When I go to the Analytic window I can see that all the latencies are negligible and close to 1.5ms, but display latency is huge 18-25ms. It should be less than 11.3 to make it synchronized with 90 fps. I've never seen that any other headset struggles with that. Does anyone else see this terrible thing? Please check your analytic window, what does it show, maybe I have a faulty unit?

i would contact support as you may have a faulty headset as no issues with mine

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

22 minutes ago, Maksim Savelev said:

doesn't match any of our experiences.   What system are you running?

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

1 hour ago, Maksim Savelev said:

Aero was released like a year and a half ago or so. You have not used since then and did not contact support ? I would post on the Varjo Discord, they have a tech guy there - Arch F1, that is always very helpful. At least on Discord you can get a lot of good feedback quickly from some very knowledgeable folks on the Aero.

Maybe post both your Varjo settings and DCS settings here as well. Preferably screen shots.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

Well its kinda long story.. I've received it on 1st January 2022 (preordered the day of announcement). It had absolutely terrible optical distortions. I don't even know how it's possible to release consumer graded headset without any profile for fixing such a bad distortions. I had headaches because of it. So I gave them some time. It took them 6 MONTHS to get it more or less fixed. Not the best experience but could be usable, but no reprojection or motion smoothness. It was still a time of 3090 so 90fps was unreachable in DCS. I left it again (switch back to my trusty G2). another 6-9 months they've released reprojection but it is absolutely  unusable comparing to butter smooth motion smoothness from G2. Then thanks to @mbucchia's OpenXR toolkit I was able to reach 90 fps and decided to have a look at Aero again, but it still wasn't smooth. I realized that it is something wrong with the whole Varjo software and switched back to HP. Recently I decided to give it a try once again and found out this weird display latency... So here I am. I own/owned basically all headsets available and Varjo seems like overhyped piece of crap. Well Pimax maybe worse... But anyway here is my story. For now I'm using Quest Pro and Aero is still collecting a dust...

Anyway question is, does anyone have any exact numbers to compare for the display latency?

Edited by Maksim Savelev

Well I can only say I have loved my Aero since getting it in early Jan 2022, and being retired I use it almost every day for several hours a day.

Agree on their reprojection I do not use it. I run vysnc on and locked to 45 fps and get a very good experience. Single player only. I don't usually keep an eye any more on fps or latencies and been a while since I looked, next time I run it I will have a look. May not be today though.

Don B

1 hour ago, Maksim Savelev said:

Can you please have a look at yours performances page in Analytics window in Varjo Base software? I’m wondering what numbers do you have for the screen latency? Especially whenever you are moving your head around 

Wouldn't you want more the latency numbers from DCS?

Don B

36 minutes ago, Maksim Savelev said:

It’s not an app or any other software services latency I’m interested in, it’s just a hardware I guess,  display latency which you can easily see on page mentioned above right in the Varjo Base environment. Thank you 

Oh ok I misunderstood and thought you were talking about very high latency in DCS.

Don B