Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

• 2 weeks later...

Just received this headset (Varjo Aero) two days ago.  What an incredible improvement over my first three headsets a G2, then Quest Pro (sent it back and ordered the Pico simply because of the cost difference) and finally a Pico4, the resolution in cockpits is crystal clear and outside looks just about as good.  I'm very happy!!!

Edited by Hammer3246
  • Like 1

13900KF NVD4090 32RAM G2

37 minutes ago, Hammer3246 said:

Just received this headset two days ago.  What an incredible improvement over a G2, then Quest Pro (sent it back and ordered the Pico simply because of the cost difference) and finally a Pico4, the resolution in cockpits is crystal clear and outside looks just about as good.  I'm very happy!!!

At first I thought you were talking about Aero ( probably due to thread title).

:wassat:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

25 minutes ago, dburne said:

At first I thought you were talking about Aero ( probably due to thread title).

:wassat:

Yes, I am referring to the Aero, that's why I posted it here.  I'll edit my post so its a little clearer.

Edited by Hammer3246
  • Like 1

13900KF NVD4090 32RAM G2

Just now, Hammer3246 said:

Yes, I am referring to the Aero, that's why I posted it here.

Ah ok when you said "finally a Pico 4" I thought that was what you ended up with.

Good deal, Aero is awesome!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 9/17/2023 at 6:58 PM, Hammer3246 said:

Just received this headset (Varjo Aero) two days ago.  What an incredible improvement over my first three headsets a G2, then Quest Pro (sent it back and ordered the Pico simply because of the cost difference) and finally a Pico4, the resolution in cockpits is crystal clear and outside looks just about as good.  I'm very happy!!!

I just ordered an Aero to replace my G2v2, and i'm a bit lost on what I should do with all the stuff from the G2. I actually went back to a post I made in Jan. 2022 when I had an Aero on order (order cancelled after 5 months) about re-setting some stuff in Steam (i'll show it below). I assume I uninstall "Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR", but leave OpenXR Toolkit alone? Here is what Varjo posted way back when.. please let me know of any other prep things that should be done, then I will go through this thread to properly set up for DCS (and hopefully IL-2).. 

From the Varjo Discord on January 2022:

"If you have had other headsets installed it seems that SteamVR may get a bit "confused" and cause issues. Here is the definitive way to get SteamVR back to a fresh install for the Aero.. https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/2/1640917625015598552/

In a nutshell - 

1. Close Steam and Steam VR

2. Delete "default.vrsettings" from x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings folder

3. Delete "steamvr.vrsettings" from  x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Config folder

4. Delete "lighthousedb.json" from  x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Config\lighthouse folder (in my case coming from a G2 the Lighthouse folder was empty)

5. Start the Steam app, be sure Games and Tools are checked so SteamVR shows up in the list. Right click SteamVR then \Manage\UNINSTALL

6.Go back and look in x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\SteamVR\ folder, delete all contents under it.

7. Go back into Steam, select SteamVR, click the big Blue INSTALL button.. Done."

Edited by =LD=Icer

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

3 hours ago, =LD=Icer said:

I just ordered an Aero to replace my G2v2, and i'm a bit lost on what I should do with all the stuff from the G2. I actually went back to a post I made in Jan. 2022 when I had an Aero on order (order cancelled after 5 months) about re-setting some stuff in Steam (i'll show it below). I assume I uninstall "Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR", but leave OpenXR Toolkit alone? Here is what Varjo posted way back when.. please let me know of any other prep things that should be done, then I will go through this thread to properly set up for DCS (and hopefully IL-2).. 

From the Varjo Discord on January 2022:

"If you have had other headsets installed it seems that SteamVR may get a bit "confused" and cause issues. Here is the definitive way to get SteamVR back to a fresh install for the Aero.. https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/2/1640917625015598552/

In a nutshell - 

1. Close Steam and Steam VR

2. Delete "default.vrsettings" from x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings folder

3. Delete "steamvr.vrsettings" from  x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Config folder

4. Delete "lighthousedb.json" from  x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Config\lighthouse folder (in my case coming from a G2 the Lighthouse folder was empty)

5. Start the Steam app, be sure Games and Tools are checked so SteamVR shows up in the list. Right click SteamVR then \Manage\UNINSTALL

6.Go back and look in x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\SteamVR\ folder, delete all contents under it.

7. Go back into Steam, select SteamVR, click the big Blue INSTALL button.. Done."

I didn't really do much of anything (I was coming from a pretty clean Windows install)  other than install Varjo Base, setup the headset and used one lighthouse for tracking.  I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to uninstall things that are no longer needed headset wise.

As far as OpenXR toolkit that depends.  If you use Varjo Foveated the toolkit is not compatible and needs to be uninstalled or suspeneded.  If you use mbucchia's Quad View Foveated then you're fine to use it.  Just be sure to turn off in DCS Bloom effect under the VR tab and Lens Effect under the System tab.  ***Disabling these two items is a must!!!!***

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13900KF NVD4090 32RAM G2

3 minutes ago, Hammer3246 said:

I didn't really do much of anything (I was coming from a pretty clean Windows install)  other than install Varjo Base, setup the headset and used one lighthouse for tracking.  I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to uninstall things that are no longer needed headset wise.

As far as OpenXR toolkit that depends.  If you use Varjo Foveated the toolkit is not compatible and needs to be uninstalled or suspeneded.  If you use mbucchia's Quad View Foveated then you're fine to use it.  Just be sure to turn off in DCS Bloom effect under the VR tab and Lens Effect under the System tab.  ***Disabling these two items is a must!!!!***

Thanks! Any opinion on which Foveated is better? How are you finding the tracking using 1 Lighthouse? 

Edited by =LD=Icer

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Just now, =LD=Icer said:

Thanks! How are you finding the tracking using 1 Lighthouse? 

So far so good, I think I need to put it up a little higher yet, I have the Next Level Flight Sim setup and strictly do Flight (no standing) I placed the lighthouse directly in front and about 7' up.  I'll lose tracking if I turn my head too much but it picks it up again fast.

13900KF NVD4090 32RAM G2

6 minutes ago, Hammer3246 said:

So far so good, I think I need to put it up a little higher yet, I have the Next Level Flight Sim setup and strictly do Flight (no standing) I placed the lighthouse directly in front and about 7' up.  I'll lose tracking if I turn my head too much but it picks it up again fast.

I was going to center it where the laptop screen is in the pic, raised up just below the monitor..

Pit as of 5-12-22.jpg

12 minutes ago, =LD=Icer said:

I was going to center it where the laptop screen is in the pic, raised up just below the monitor..

Pit as of 5-12-22.jpg

This is my first experience with using a Lighthouse and that position might work, but I think if you only use one it should be high and pointing down so it has a good field of view.  Having only one, and sitting low would make tracking difficult when turning your head.  Again this is just my opinion, I'm sure someone else here knows better.

20230921_092219.jpg

Edited by Hammer3246
  • Thanks 1

13900KF NVD4090 32RAM G2

Thanks, guess I will see what happens!

I put my stations in many different positions, looking directly at me. It doesn´t really matter how low or how high

they are in the room, thats my experience. Right now my 2 stations are about 45 degrees left and right, about 9ft

away from me and about 1-2 feet above the ground, sitting on a lowboard. Worked fine in all positions until today,

never had connection issues or drops or anything. I think as long as they "see" you, its fine.

• Thanks 1

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

Still wondering the +/- of using the Varjo FR (OpenXR Toolkit Disabled) vs. the Quad-view w/OpenXR Toolkit. As I fly IL-2/race in iRacing I currently use OXRTK with the G2.

7 hours ago, =LD=Icer said:

Thanks! Any opinion on which Foveated is better? How are you finding the tracking using 1 Lighthouse? 

I have no issues but I did find an extension arm to get a little better adjustment over my monitor. I have a Trak Racer sim pit (one day I will do a review) and my seat sits little low so it did take some time getting my adjustments fine tuned but with help from the extension no issues now. 

Edited by Rodeo
  • Thanks 1

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

On 9/22/2023 at 12:54 AM, Rodeo said:

I have no issues but I did find an extension arm to get a little better adjustment over my monitor. I have a Trak Racer sim pit (one day I will do a review) and my seat sits little low so it did take some time getting my adjustments fine tuned but with help from the extension no issues now. 

I went ahead and ordered a 2nd Base station direct from Steam, was €40 less that the "discounted to €199" base that I ordered direct from Varjo with the Aero... will play with different placements, may end up hanging them from my (sloped) ceiling. Ideally I can figure out a way to place them on my monitor mount somehow.. 

image.png

Edited by =LD=Icer
  • Like 1

How is VRNeckSaver currently working for Aero? I haven’t downloaded it yet because if memory serves me several of you were having issues with one of the OB updates a few months back. 

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

4 hours ago, Rodeo said:

How is VRNeckSaver currently working for Aero? I haven’t downloaded it yet because if memory serves me several of you were having issues with one of the OB updates a few months back. 

I have the same query except about XRNeckSafer..

Received my varjo aero last weekend, great product.

I have been playing with some settings, eye tracking works fine. The only small issue I have is without motion reprojection I get 90 fps and then sometimes it drops to 75 or so, but even with 75 fps it get’s a bit choppy (like micro stutters every 2 seconds). If I engage motion reprojection they are gone but also the smoothness is gone.

Is there a solution? Or do I have to accept motion reprojection😉

58 minutes ago, witwas said:

Received my varjo aero last weekend, great product.

I have been playing with some settings, eye tracking works fine. The only small issue I have is without motion reprojection I get 90 fps and then sometimes it drops to 75 or so, but even with 75 fps it get’s a bit choppy (like micro stutters every 2 seconds). If I engage motion reprojection they are gone but also the smoothness is gone.

Is there a solution? Or do I have to accept motion reprojection😉

I run vsync on in Varjo Based forced to 45 fps, no motion smoothing.

You might give that a try. I do not get noticeable stutters unless fps drops below 45 fps which is very rare for me running eye tracked DFR.

• Like 1

Don B

Hi all, just set my Aero up today. WOW! What an INSANE improvement over even the valve index! I am totally blown away. 
I have 2 questions... 

1. I'm trying to run the DFR mod, I installed it, is that it? just runs automatically? I didn't see anything else about making it work.

2. I ran the mission "Sitting ducks" mission for A-10 and noticed a jeep disappears at certain ranges. I mean literally POOF its gone. I dont know if this is a varjo thing or a DCS thing. Can anyone confirm? 

EDIT: Checked in 2d. The jeep disappears too so its a DCS thing not a varjo thing. 

Edited by Shein

1 hour ago, Shein said:

Hi all, just set my Aero up today. WOW! What an INSANE improvement over even the valve index! I am totally blown away. 
I have 2 questions... 

1. I'm trying to run the DFR mod, I installed it, is that it? just runs automatically? I didn't see anything else about making it work.

2. I ran the mission "Sitting ducks" mission for A-10 and noticed a jeep disappears at certain ranges. I mean literally POOF its gone. I dont know if this is a varjo thing or a DCS thing. Can anyone confirm? 

EDIT: Checked in 2d. The jeep disappears too so its a DCS thing not a varjo thing. 

See this thread for everything you need to know about DFR and Aero

Don B

On 9/23/2023 at 2:24 PM, GPatricks said:

I went ahead and ordered a 2nd Base station direct from Steam, was €40 less that the "discounted to €199" base that I ordered direct from Varjo with the Aero... will play with different placements, may end up hanging them from my (sloped) ceiling. Ideally I can figure out a way to place them on my monitor mount somehow.. 

image.png

I find having the base stations on my desk sometimes makes them lose track and having to sync. When using the throttle or some movement on the desk stuff shakes just a little bit too much for them to stay synced. So I am going to putthem on a wall.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

16 hours ago, Ready said:

I find having the base stations on my desk sometimes makes them lose track and having to sync. When using the throttle or some movement on the desk stuff shakes just a little bit too much for them to stay synced. So I am going to putthem on a wall.

I just found out the actual size of these, they are a LOT smaller than I thought! 3.625 inches (9.21cm) by 2.75 inches (7cm).. think I will have to devise some sort of stands for them, or devise a method to hang them..